• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
And don't you think it's low to put in front of you a pokemon that does exist but you can't use?

Considering that they did this:

00a6f3abb6b25767e0a1d350a76b4a9adc863c23_hq.jpg

No one should be surprised.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Link's Awakening's framerate issues were and are a persistent complaint despite the general consensus that it is a solid remake, so no, the minority's criticism doesn't matter less just because the majority of the people liked the game and it sells and/or reviews well. I also think the Dex cuts will be brought up more than something like the lack of a Battle Frontier in ORAS, which many perceived only 'hardcore' fans to care about.

Fair enough. This "feels" way bigger than the irritation with the Battle Frontier though...

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yes ... but this may be naive but the goal of most games is to please their audience and make money.

If the games please the overwhelming majority audience and make money then I would say they are a success and I would say the minority's anger toward the removal of a feature would (and maybe should) matter less going forward.
I don't know why you are having a hard time understanding this, but sales does not directly translate to pleased fans.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamefreak was not prepared to tackle HD development. It's not a 'laxy devs' issue, it's a management issue. Gamefreak upper management was somehow completely unprepared for the Switch, thinking that it would fail, and thus they didn't make the required pipelines of development until it was too late and they were forced to cut in order to make stuff happen in time.

This is baffling.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of gratitude for a company that is responsible for decades of magical memories and emotion from their creations, we instead crucify them for not giving us EVERYTHING, TODAY, NOW, ON SWITCH, rallying together for #Dexit because not all of your favourites are a part of their new product.

Feel disappointment, sure. But this to me is all insanity.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of gratitude for a company that is responsible for decades of magical memories and emotion from their creations, we instead crucify them for not giving us EVERYTHING, TODAY, NOW, ON SWITCH, rallying together for #Dexit because not all of your favourites are a part of their new product.

It's a pretty common sentiment that people would prefer the games to be delayed or have the other Pokemon added post launch.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The opinion shift from boycotting pokemon for not realeasing half of the dex to support them full force just because of that article that said devs feeling morale.

Not judging but just amazing nonetheless.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I didn't say they did. I said if the sales were good and the majority's RECEPTION was good (this is important you seem to be missing this every time) doesn't the vocal minority not matter as much?
Sure, whatever. I'm not sure what you gain from saying this. Pokemon has always been received well. Having good reviews won't suddenly make any criticism of the game "matter less" though.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Looking through this thread, the leak thread, and the closed thread on team morale, it occurred to me to just stop and think about just how fucking awful GameFreak devs have to be feeling at the moment:

-The death threats, particularly in the shadow of the recent arson.

-While I did (and still do) maintain that they botched the messaging on Dexit, the leak removes pretty much any agency they had in controlling the flow of information on the game. It seems that at least on boards such as this and on social media, the QoL improvements are getting overshadowed by the list of missing Pokémon (and it wouldn't surprise me if the trading changes blows up more also in the coming days). The fact that some exciting new designs (such as the starter evolutions) also came via leak has to sting. I'm not sure what is reaching more casual Pokémon fans and what isn't, but it sure seems like the narrative is more and more outside of GameFreak's hands.

-The event being canceled pretty much removes any public victory lap for the game being completed.

And honestly, I don't think it'll stop after the game comes out, even if critical reviews are positive (which I'm guessing they will be), because...

-Given everything else that has happened from angry fans, I'm 99% sure the game is gonna get user review bombed on metacritic and elsewhere.

-Pokémon Home is likely to have its very own shitshow once it releases. And with Pokémon Masters a disappointment (at least, as far as I can discern), it's gotta feel like a never ending stream of bad news.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Don't act like they do this purely out of the kindness of their hearts. It's business.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They either expected Nintendo to have to back track and make a new weaker cheap handheld, could continue making 3ds games (uh), or wanted to pivot to mobile as the lead platform. Who knows which, but they've definitely got egg on their face now.

I get diversification is a good idea when the Wii U was just a thing too, but they clearly went too far in the other direction.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The opinion shift from boycotting pokemon for not realeasing half of the dex to support them full force just because of that article that said devs feeling morale.

Not judging but just amazing nonetheless.
Most people that wanted to boycott or fans that still want to buy the game and feel for Gamefreak aren't even remotely the same people. I never gave that much of a shit about Dexit at all and I was always going to buy the game because I think it looks good and I feel for GF's situation here.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
How is it baffling? Hindsight is 20/20. Just about all the Japanese devs thought it would fail. It completely smashed Nintendo's expectations in its first year. After that the excuses ran out, but by then Gamefreak, unlike other Japanese devs, was already developing two games for the system.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Hey so i'm tyring to stay out of this thread because discourse is uh...nuts. But I wanna say something on this

No I don't feel gratitude for a corporation. The artists , programmers ect for doing their jobs, sure. But for a corporation, no. And I am not obligated to actually like their products either, if it doesn't do anything for me.

Pikachu isn't real , corperations aren't your friend

Oct 28, 2017
Toxic fandom kills another one.

Keep fighting that good fight brave warriors and don't stop until you've ruined absolutely everything good for the rest of us.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
If I were able to travel back in time, meet my younger self, and tell him that things would be this dire now as far as Pokémon games go (not just about SwSh, but in general), I absolutely wouldn't have believed myself. We had it so good during the DS days, it's hard to believe.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. This "feels" way bigger than the irritation with the Battle Frontier though...

Ironically I care more about having a Battle Frontier or having Pokemon World Tournament than most of the Pokedex... but that just goes to show how diverse the range of opinions are.

I err on the side of caution and reasonability and think having a cumulatively increasing dex over the generation would be a valid solution, I never believed that all of the Pokemon needed to be present Day 1. The issue is that they stated this as their approach going forward, I at least appreciate their honesty there and will take them at their word. It's not a personal dealbreaker.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
X&Y were fine? I'm beginning to think we might disagree on a few things here.

I like X and Y. Not in my top five or anything but they were good. Good music. Great Kalos mons (coincidentally overshadowed by a bloated dex filled with older mons). Had character customization. Shout out to Klefki. I like some pokemon games better and I like others worse.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
To the point of speaking of insanity...

You guys will complain all you want, and that'll be your experience of SWSH. Doesn't affect me in any way nor my experience in playing.

The corporation is made out of people, not robots. People who designed and created the pokemon you love. Same people that decided they were only going to put in 400 pokemon.

GameFreak could have very well packed it in at any moment. Imagine those threads lol. "We got what we wanted out of Pokemon, now we're going to live our lives and enjoy the fruits of our labour". They have zero responsibility towards any of us.

Don't act like they do this purely out of the kindness of their hearts. It's business.

None of my post even insinuated the source of this decision. I'm just grateful I'm getting another Pokemon game, that I can finally play on my television.

Hell yeah its business. They do pretty good business. 90% of us invested enough into this franchise will return on the next one, regardless of how we feel about this one.

Hey so i'm tyring to stay out of this thread because discourse is uh...nuts. But I wanna say something on this

No I don't feel gratitude for a corporation. The artists , programmers ect for doing their jobs, sure. But for a corporation, no. And I am not obligated to actually like their products either, if it doesn't do anything for me.

Pikachu isn't real , corperations aren't your friend

You're right the corp is not your friend. But I can't deny that they provided me with 700 new friends.

The only thing we're "obligated to" in this life and especially in this forum is to share our opinions lol

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So LITERALLY "don't you guys have phones?"

No, you're just being reductive to further a ridiculous argument. The claim is that Bulbasaur is a pokemon you can't even use. The fact is that he simply isn't in one set of two new games, yet has been in many past games as well as several current games (Go and Let's Go).

Vote with your wallet. If you only want Pokemon games with every Pokémon, don't buy sword, shield, or the associated merch. But I see this as being a Modern Warfare 2 situation.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know with all this talk about feelings, Why is gamefreak given this free pass for criticism? Man if this was EA or Ubisoft it'd be criticized and ridiculed to no end. The corporation is not your friend, and a lot of people really don't understand this.

In this thread pokemon fans are telling others to shut up and don't complain about the games, and are painting all as toxic harassers. Shit is nuts.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
You know with all this talk about feelings, Why is gamefreak given this free pass for criticism? Man if this was EA or Ubisoft it'd be criticized and ridiculed to no end. The corporation is not your friend, and a lot of people really don't understand this.

In this thread pokemon fans are telling others to shut up and don't complain about the games, and are painting all as toxic harassers. Shit is nuts.

I just think its unacceptable that events are being cancelled because of outrage that not all their favourite pokemon are in a game. And the potential harm that could cause other people that would be at that event.

What the actual fuck

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

EA doing predatory stuff like bf2 isn't the same as gamefreak having limited time to make their first hd games and having to make cuts.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't blame them for canceling, it's too risky with the "fans" being hostile.

Honestly though, the whole announcement of the Pokémon cut was badly handled as the weeks prior to E3 we had both the Sword and Shield direct and the Pokémon presentation, the latter of which where they announced Pokémon Home.

They should had announced it during the Sword and Shield direct, rather than tucked away during the treehouse presentation where it was confusing due to have the message was delivered.

Though to be fair, I doubted that Game Freak had expected the reaction to be toxic.

What's stopping GameFreak form adding the missing pokemons via patches like Level 5 is doing with Yo-kai Watch 4?

Time and manpower required to code the Pokémon in, they're most likely busy working on the next Pokémon.

Lots of people, according to my Twitter mentions.

And many more across Twitter. Just look at the morale thread and tweets about the morale story.

People are being absolute assholes. I will not stand for it. I don't care if people think I'm a shill for it.

It has made me ashamed of the community

Oh wow that's bad.

This reminds me of the first Pokemon Go event. Having to hide the staff and ease the fire from the event.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Someone even threw a bottle at the host.

Oh wow, that is truly pathetic and damaging.

woah! Some of you are so explosive. Calm down pals. We can to talk without get mad.

I get the angry and If I'd live at Japan, I could be part of that protest. How in the hell bulbasaur was cut if it is used in the new promos?
Aon4hUg.jpg

That's a promo for the Animé which has Ash exploring all the regions. It is not a promo for Sword and Shield and all promo for that have carefully shown the Pokémon that are in the game.

Plus Bulbasaur fans had Let's Go, so they are good for the time being till the next Pokémon game.

The next game only has Charizard in it because fuck dexit assholes.

Please stop, it's already bad enough that people are already hating on my favorite Pokémon. There is no need to fan the flame further.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean for one EA and Ubisoft have gotten these defenses. Alot of companies making game with controversial elements and have gotten backlash have always had this defense.

Plus as others have mentioned having legit predatory monitization practices is different than designing the game to not include every Pokemon in the same game.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
I get fans being disappointed and voicing their criticism.

Death threats, on the other hand, are 100% not okay. Like wtf is wrong with people. This whole thing is blowing out of proportion and it makes me feel uneasy.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X&Y were fine? I'm beginning to think we might disagree on a few things here.

X&Y brought me back to Pokemon after Black and White didn't do it for me. Yes I know my opinion is wrong for daring to not worship the ground Black and White walks on but X&X does have its fans.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just think its unacceptable that events are being cancelled because of outrage that not all their favourite pokemon are in a game. And the potential harm that could cause other people that would be at that event.

What the actual fuck

I don't understand why we're still rolling with this narrative when this is the extent of the author's speculation in the article:

In August, a 40-year-old man arrested for allegedly sending death threats to Square Enix in Japan. A month earlier, an arson attack at Kyoto Animation killed 33 people. Eyewitnesses stated the suspect appeared to be angry with the animation studio.

The Pokemon Company specified operational reasons as the reason for the cancellation.

There's more basis to the rumors of low morale in the last thread, which was locked, than whatever is said in this article.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I get fans being disappointed and voicing their criticism.

Death threats, on the other hand, are 100% not okay. Like wtf is wrong with people. This whole thing is blowing out of proportion and it makes me feel uneasy.
Did I miss the part where everyone was suddenly on the same page about Game Freak receiving death threats and harassment? When did this happen? I'm not saying I'd be surprised if it did (unfortunately), but I haven't seen death threats anywhere.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
X&Y brought me back to Pokemon after Black and White didn't do it for me. Yes I know my opinion is wrong for daring to not worship the ground Black and White walks on but X&X does have its fans.
Your opinion is not wrong, and nobody is telling you that you're invalid for having those opinions. I don't personally like HGSS as much as a lot of people do and like ORAS and Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald the least of any Pokemon games, but I'm not going to get mad when people like those games more than Black and White for instance.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean for one EA and Ubisoft have gotten these defenses. Alot of companies making game with controversial elements and have gotten backlash have always had this defense.

Plus as others have mentioned having legit predatory monitization practices is different than designing the game to not include every Pokemon in the same game.

Locking pokemon away on a paid service seems kinda anti consumer too, or not?

And revealing a massive cut of characters in a side gameplay presentation only a fraction saw doesn't look good either.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
There is this back and forth of "you can criticize", "some people are taking the criticism too far","oh you are saying I can't criticize ", And "stop trying to defend GF from criticism".

It's like a never ending cycle

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss the part where everyone was suddenly on the same page about Game Freak receiving death threats and harassment? When did this happen? I'm not saying I'd be surprised if it did (unfortunately), but I haven't seen death threats anywhere.

Not a single person in this thread agreed that Game Freak should receive death threats or harassment.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. All I've seen were screenshots and posts of Twitter randos.

Status
Not open for further replies.