• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
There is this back and forth of "you can criticize", "some people are taking the criticism too far","oh you are saying I can't criticize ", And "stop trying to defend GF from criticism".

It's like a never ending cycle
All sides in this argument just need to realize nobody can force them to shut up, as long as they are making their points respectfully. The entire conversation about one side being able to muscle the other out of the conversation is moot, it's not something 'the other side' can actually enforce.

Just say whatever your opinion is and use the ignore buttom liberally, the posters that don't share your view on the subject can't erase your posts.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The victim complex of some... X & Y are my favorite games of the 3ds era and I don't care if people hate them

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
I feel like this is not just about the missing Pokémon, but a "the last drop that spilled the glass" sort of thing. Seems what they have been giving to the fans and what (some) fans wanted has been at odds many times before, and it has taken us to this point.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Not a single person in this thread agreed that Game Freak should receive death threats or harassment.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. All I've seen were screenshots and posts of Twitter randos.
Yeah, I was referring to what is happening on the Internet in general, not to this particular thread or community. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
I'm upset about the Pokedex cuts and I don't think GF is above criticism but I'm still gonna get the game and have fun. I just don't think the game will be fun for much longer post release, even with Ranked modes.

This whole fucking debacle is tiring as fuck.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldve been more upfront since e3 with an approximate number of pokemon in game.

If it hadn't leaked the game wouldve launched with no knowledge of the starters and no idea what Pokemon can be in the game as far as I can tell.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was referring to what is happening on the Internet in general, not to this particular thread or community. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

All good. I get the frustration, there's a reason I'm sticking to this forum - the discourse here is well-moderated and tends to avoid toxicity. So it's disappointing to see people fight over each other over an unsubstantiated article.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Locking pokemon away on a paid service seems kinda anti consumer too, or not?

And revealing a massive cut of characters in a side gameplay presentation only a fraction saw doesn't look good either.
It's not and even then you choosing to put those Pokemon on that service in entirely voluntary. If you don't want to wait for the Pokemon to come back then keep them in the Pokemon game you already own and transfer them in when the Pokemon is back.

Also yeah sure revealing the news at the biggest Video Game show of the year at a demo right after their presentation and getting it out before they even showed gameplay was real shady. The fact these weasels thought they could get away with giving fans a 5 months advance is totally shady

Nov 26, 2017
Spend your money on Luigi's Mansion 3 instead. It's a great game with a boatload of content and has a fantastic online co-op mode.
Also yeah sure revealing the news at the biggest Video Game show of the year at a demo right after their presentation and getting it out before they even showed gameplay was real shady. The fact these weasels thought they could get away with giving fans a 5 months advance is totally shady
So why didn't they announce it sooner then? It's not like the game was revealed at E3

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The victim complex of some... X & Y are my favorite games of the 3ds era and I don't care if people hate them
Gen V fans do. They still act like the games are cult classics and not one of the more popular Pokemon generations just because some non fans made fun of the ice cream Pokemon a couple of times.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Not a single person in this thread agreed that Game Freak should receive death threats or harassment.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. All I've seen were screenshots and posts of Twitter randos.
No I meant I hadn't heard anything about them recieving death threats from anyone until this thread was filled with people admonishing it. I was just wondering if I missed the news article.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
They didn't get it out before they even showed gameplay. They said it after all of the gameplay was shown, Bill Trinen asked (most likely scripted) if he'd be able to transfer all of his Pokemon from Let's Go to this game, Masuda gave a weird "if they're in Sword and Shield" answer, Bill looked confused, Masuda repeated it, and the segment ended.

Like, yeah, they did mention it ahead of the game's release, but it was tucked away into a post-E3 demo and not in either of the two Pokemon presentations they had prior, or the E3 presentation.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Spend your money on Luigi's Mansion 3 instead. It's a great game with a boatload of content and has a fantastic online co-op mode.

So why didn't they announce it sooner then? It's not like the game was revealed at E3

Isn't the game like 15-20 hours long? It's fantastic and people should buy it but not sure if "boatload of content" is accurate. Haven't touched multiplayer in it yet though.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
They shouldve been more upfront since e3 with an approximate number of pokemon in game.

If it hadn't leaked the game wouldve launched with no knowledge of the starters and no idea what Pokemon can be in the game as far as I can tell.
Yeah it doesn't help that they avoided to directly address the issue. When they said they won't be putting all mons I never expected they would cut so many fan favorites.
People had months to come to terms with dexit but right before we learn the actual number of pokemon that made it and that led to second round of outcry. The secrecy backfired hard imo.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gen V fans do. They still act like the games are cult classics and not one of the more popular Pokemon generations just because some non fans made fun of the ice cream Pokemon a couple of times.
Gen V do what?I don't get what are you saying lol. I personally like gen V and the Gen V games because all the DS era games are great but I still have the ice cream.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No I meant I hadn't heard anything about them recieving death threats from anyone until this thread was filled with people admonishing it. I was just wondering if I missed the news article.

Not sure, the article just mentions someone being arrested for sending threats to Square Enix.

Nov 26, 2017
Isn't the game like 15-20 hours long? It's fantastic and people should buy it but not sure if "boatload of content" is accurate. Haven't touched multiplayer in it yet though.
Nah, definitely filled to the brim. Lots of hidden nooks and crannies with money to find, you can interact with almost everything in any given room, and there are a bunch of gems in each floor that force you to use your brain to obtain them. It's great.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't get it out before they even showed gameplay. They said it after all of the gameplay was shown, Bill Trinen asked (most likely scripted) if he'd be able to transfer all of his Pokemon from Let's Go to this game, Masuda gave a weird "if they're in Sword and Shield" answer, Bill looked confused, Masuda repeated it, and the segment ended.

Like, yeah, they did mention it ahead of the game's release, but it was tucked away into a post-E3 demo and not in either of the two Pokemon presentations they had prior, or the E3 presentation.
I could've sworn someone told me they did it before because I brought up they did it after the demo and I was corrected. Still I doubt this was something they were intending to keep under wraps for long to begin with. It still doesn't take away that they talked about it at the game's first proper showing on a highly viewed livestream and was done 5 months in advance.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I wish the reduced Pokémon count came with some new stats or anything to make pokemon more dynamic than in earlier gens. Seems like a missed opportunity, and one that makes me less interested

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They announced it pretty early to be fair.

Typically Pokemon games get announced earlier in the year and dip until the Summer and get a big blowout and afterwards show off new stuff every couple weeks up until release.. The Pokemon cuts were something they talked about among all the other revealed features at E3 and was done before they started their prerelease.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not and even then you choosing to put those Pokemon on that service in entirely voluntary. If you don't want to wait for the Pokemon to come back then keep them in the Pokemon game you already own and transfer them in when the Pokemon is back.

Actually, without the leaks, we certainly wouldn't know the extent of the cut. 60% of the roster is fucking huge, and i don't know why i feel people should know that before buying the game.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen apparently NoA are letting folks refund digital pre-orders which is apparently something they only did with Overwatch because of HK controversy.

Geeeez. I'm definitely buying the game but I feel like a dirty shill more and more haha.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really good example of a company having to break some extremely bad news to its consumers and doing so with clarity. They did not mince words, gave a sufficient amount of details about the situation, profusely apologized, and made it clear what the next steps were in addressing the issue. Looking at the like count on the video and the general sentiments that have surrounded Prime 4 since this happened, it was taken extremely well, despite the fact that the Metroid fanbase is known to be pretty vitriolic when things don't go their way. Just goes to show how much a PR response like this can do.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really good example of a company having to break some extremely bad news to its consumers and doing so with clarity. They did not mince words, gave a sufficient amount of details about the situation, profusely apologized, and made it clear what the next steps were in addressing the issue. Looking at the like count on the video and the general sentiments that have surrounded Prime 4 since this happened, it was taken extremely well, despite the fact that the Metroid fanbase is known to be pretty vitriolic when things don't go their way. Just goes to show how much a PR response like this can do.

Gamefreak didn't see this as bad or bad news to break, that is the difference.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I personally was under the assumption that the 3rd version would be the balls to the walls jam packed edition with all of the Pokémon. Since the beginning the first iteration of the games has been the early adoption tax.

DustinWretch

Sep 19, 2019
I personally was under the assumption that the 3rd version would be the balls to the walls jam packed edition with all of the Pokémon. Since the beginning the first iteration of the games has been the early adoption tax.

Unless I'm mistaken, when they first discussed that not all Pokemon would be available for use in Sword and Shield, they clarified that this would also be the case for all future games going forward. A 3rd version including the rest seems like it would be counter to that clarification.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I have always said cutting the National Dex should have been nothing less than a public apology on the level of the Prime 4 video.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Yeah I think I'm just going to stop coming to pokemon threads, there is no place to discuss pokemon at the moment that isn't just a vortex of negativity, its kinda depressing. I hope those of you who are buying it have fun playing next week, see ya.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, when they first discussed that not all Pokemon would be available for use in Sword and Shield, they clarified that this would also be the case for all future games going forward. A 3rd version including the rest seems like it would be counter to that clarification.

This feels like a problem relative to the number of Pokémon and logical story progression. It sucks, but I do understand.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
He didn't really sound apologetic with the initial reveal.
I'll have to rewatch the Treehouse segment, but that's what I recall from memory. I also remember an interview on some publication with him saying they'd cut none if they could, but I might be misremembering stuff. It's been a while since I paid close attention to all of this.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The reality is that it's not going to be possible for Game Freak to live up to consumer expectations with the budget and schedule they currently work with. By Game Freak standards there are some reasonable leaps forward in design terms with Sword/Shield but nothing that goes beyond the PS2 era. They are years behind the curve and they need to allow themselves more time to make these games.

They have never had a Pokemon game without all the Pokemon in it until now.

Let's Go.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to rewatch the Treehouse segment, but that's what I recall from memory. I also remember an interview on some publication with him saying they'd cut none if they could, but I might be misremembering stuff. It's been a while since I paid close attention to all of this.
He said something like that some people might be disappointed, but that it was for a good reason. He wasn't constantly just profusely apologising.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The reality is that it's not going to be possible for Game Freak to live up to consumer expectations with the budget and schedule they currently work with. By Game Freak standards there are some reasonable leaps forward in design terms with Sword/Shield but nothing that goes beyond the PS2 era. They are years behind the curve and they need to allow themselves more time to make these games.
I agree with the schedule for sure. Do we have any idea what kind of budget they have for these games though? Sadly, with the first trailer, what you say rings true. They're truly behind the curve, all I can do is sit it out and wait. Along with them moving past developing a handheld on console experience kinda game.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
He said something like that some people might be disappointed, but that it was for a good reason. He wasn't constantly just profusely apologising.
That's from the Treehouse? The wording does ring a bell.

Regardless, it's baffling to me that they wouldn't think this would be a big deal when people were literally willing to pay for being able to transfer all previous 'mons to the newer games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's from the Treehouse? The wording does ring a bell.

Regardless, it's baffling to me that they wouldn't think this would be a big deal when people were literally willing to pay for being able to transfer all previous 'mons to the newer games.
I just don't think they pictured so many people seeing masuda as thanos, maniacally laughing while he snaps away half the pokemon. More just some understanding disappointment

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with the schedule for sure. Do we have any idea what kind of budget they have for these games though? Sadly, with the first trailer, what you say rings true. They're truly behind the curve, all I can do is sit it out and wait. Along with them moving past developing a handheld on console experience kinda game.

It's kind of crazy to think that it was only 7 years ago that they released BW2 on essentially souped-up GBA hardware. It's going to be very challenging for them to catch up and deliver something that can compete with modern console RPGs.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Some of those banned posters earlier in this thread... good lord. Both sides indeed.

It's kind of crazy to think that it was only 7 years ago that they released BW2 on essentially souped-up GBA hardware. It's going to be very challenging for them to catch up and deliver something that can compete with modern console RPGs.

I think if gen 9 is on Switch, it is possible that they release something truly special. Just compare DP to BW2. This is gonna be their growing pains gen.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Indeed. Hopefully Gen 10 looks up to par, at least for me. Would love to see properly sized Pokemon in battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.