• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
They announced it pretty early to be fair.

Typically Pokemon games get announced earlier in the year and dip until the Summer and get a big blowout and afterwards show off new stuff every couple weeks up until release.. The Pokemon cuts were something they talked about among all the other revealed features at E3 and was done before they started their prerelease.
Did they reveal the extent of the cuts? No, not in the slightest. There's no excuse for not being transparent in the scope of the cuts. They didn't have to give a full list of every Pokemon in the game, but they easily could have revealed generally the total count of Pokemon included (e.g. "Over X Pokemon to catch!").

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I've seen apparently NoA are letting folks refund digital pre-orders which is apparently something they only did with Overwatch because of HK controversy.

Geeeez. I'm definitely buying the game but I feel like a dirty shill more and more haha.

Wait, wha?! You got a link for that? That doesn't seem like good news.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've seen apparently NoA are letting folks refund digital pre-orders which is apparently something they only did with Overwatch because of HK controversy.

Geeeez. I'm definitely buying the game but I feel like a dirty shill more and more haha.

To be fair, if this is true, it's a good thing and a policy they should adapt for all their games.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Indeed. Hopefully Gen 10 looks up to par, at least for me. Would love to see properly sized Pokemon in battles.
My one hope is that this causes the game development to slow the fuck down. We don't need a Pokemon game every year or even every two years. Make it a bigger deal with much longer dev times and compelling spinoff/side games to fill in the gaps.

Yes, that would require a change to the production timeline of all Pokemon media. Good. Now is the perfect time to do so anyway since the anime is doing its own thing.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's not and even then you choosing to put those Pokemon on that service in entirely voluntary. If you don't want to wait for the Pokemon to come back then keep them in the Pokemon game you already own and transfer them in when the Pokemon is back.
Can only do that if they keep Pokemon Bank running until they're back in a new game.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
My one hope is that this causes the game development to slow the fuck down. We don't need a Pokemon game every year or even every two years. Make it a bigger deal with much longer dev times and compelling spinoff/side games to fill in the gaps.

Yes, that would require a change to the production timeline of all Pokemon media. Good. Now is the perfect time to do so anyway since the anime is doing its own thing.
Either that or establish multiple full sized teams so a small studio isn't being split between a bunch of projects at once. Things would go a lot more smoothly if they had 2 teams of 300 each.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Any kind of break would be optimal for Gamefreak regarding the schedule for these games. I really wish the series had a longer dev time with spinoffs from other developers trying out stuff with the IP. Colosseum/XD, Myster Dungeon, Pokken, etc...

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is not just about the missing Pokémon, but a "the last drop that spilled the glass" sort of thing. Seems what they have been giving to the fans and what (some) fans wanted has been at odds many times before, and it has taken us to this point.
There's likely a major lesson in listening more closely to your customers that's getting lost in all the bullshit swirling around right now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

You shouldn't feel like a shill. I mean people spent $60 on super mario party and that is way more disgraceful, yet there isn't some big protest against it like this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The MP4 comparison is really spot on because people online were absolutely fine with a 1 year delay if it meant having all the Dex in SS.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The reality is that it's not going to be possible for Game Freak to live up to consumer expectations with the budget and schedule they currently work with. By Game Freak standards there are some reasonable leaps forward in design terms with Sword/Shield but nothing that goes beyond the PS2 era. They are years behind the curve and they need to allow themselves more time to make these games.

Let's Go.
On top of this, I'm wondering if they even have enough time to learn new dev tools. I new Pokemon game a year that demands close to 100 new monsters is an insane strategy.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to rewatch the Treehouse segment, but that's what I recall from memory. I also remember an interview on some publication with him saying they'd cut none if they could, but I might be misremembering stuff. It's been a while since I paid close attention to all of this.

It wasn't off hand, it was brought up with Bill and then they actually had him fully announce it towards the end of the video that got dislike bombed. I'm guessing the people at Treehouse didn't fully understand what was going on or this was a fairly abrupt decision than what they are use to.

You shouldn't feel like a shill. I mean people spent $60 on super mario party and that is way more disgraceful, yet there isn't some big protest against it like this.

What was wrong with Super Party? Was considering getting it and never noticed ERA's reaction to it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just stuff I've seen around the net about pre-orders being cancelled digitally...

It might just be specific situations and not a widespread thing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with Super Party? Was considering getting it and never noticed ERA's reaction to it.
It has 4 maps total, and combined equal about the size of one map from almost any of the first 10 games before it. Plus the maps themselves are just not good, and there wasn't any dlc. And no online.
1200px-MP3_Chilly_Waters_Board.png

tumblr_pg3zsoVHlG1rp5coao1_1280.jpg

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really good example of a company having to break some extremely bad news to its consumers and doing so with clarity. They did not mince words, gave a sufficient amount of details about the situation, profusely apologized, and made it clear what the next steps were in addressing the issue. Looking at the like count on the video and the general sentiments that have surrounded Prime 4 since this happened, it was taken extremely well, despite the fact that the Metroid fanbase is known to be pretty vitriolic when things don't go their way. Just goes to show how much a PR response like this can do.

I never got the impression TPCi valued this kind of respect for their audience (I'm not sure how much control they have over the PR of the games though), I've always looked at them side eyed when I heard the reason they did not restore the original voice actors for the english anime during that period of transition from 4kids (when it was glaringly awful) was because they felt the fans wouldn't notice a difference.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... no? This was the transcript from the podcast:

As for this thread, the article in the OP links to a letter that specifies operational reasons, the author speculates that it's related to fan tantrums while bringing up the KyoAni attacks to raise the intensity of his point.
That quote makes me really sad. The developers shouldn't be down. If the games need a shake up that should come from the top. Every Pokemon game I've played has been high quality, just very conservative and a little outdated.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Sword and Shield is totally a bust from the leakers...

The current one has about 40 hours so far and that's without multiplayer enabled. Part of that is of course trying to reveal stuff so I feel like the game will offer money's worth if you go by the hour = dollar metric.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It wasn't off hand, it was brought up with Bill and then they actually had him fully announce it towards the end of the video that got dislike bombed. I'm guessing the people at Treehouse didn't fully understand what was going on or this was a fairly abrupt decision than what they are use to.

just an unfun game
bad selection of minigames
terrible board games with little creativity, uniqueness or variety
i don't know why the game was praised by critics so much but its a bad party game and a bad Mario party game

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say Gamefreak is very bad at communicating with its fans, everything is vague and doesn't seem very apologetic. Indeed there were probably issues to why the dex cut happened, but they haven't conveyed the message with clear clarity, it just led to more confusion to its fans

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
just an unfun game
bad selection of minigames
terrible board games with little creativity, uniqueness or variety
i don't know why the game was praised by critics so much but its a bad party game and a bad Mario party game
It was praised literally because no car "and classic gameplay" even though one pd the four boards is the 3ds board style...so only 3. I guess people that never played old ones or don't remember them.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll say Gamefreak is very bad at communicating with its fans, everything is vague and doesn't seem very apologetic. Indeed there were probably issues to why the dex cut happened, but they haven't conveyed the message with clear clarity, it just led to more confusion to its fans

About that. Are they allowed to come and say whatever they want or they need TPC approval?

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
That's unfortunate. For me, I personally don't care if they cut our Pokemon but I have come up with an idea:

What they should have done from the get go is release the game but with an announcement that the rest of the Pkmn would come later through DLC due to scope of the game. They could have a whole other year to develop an island or continent with a Battle Frontier thing or even a few side gyms and legendary spots.

I know it's not a trivial thing to develop but you can't make all these Pokemon over the years and not account that people will want to play them.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Is the frustration only a western thing? How have folks in Japan taken to the National Dex issue?
It varies, 2ch, like 4chan are livid. With some rational people in the mix over there surprisingly. On Twitter, it's not as bad from what I saw, though even some went after Masuda for apparently being cruel for thanking someone over their Bayleef nail art.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate. For me, I personally don't care if they cut our Pokemon but I have come up with an idea:

What they should have done from the get go is release the game but with an announcement that the rest of the Pkmn would come later through DLC due to scope of the game. They could have a whole other year to develop an island or continent with a Battle Frontier thing or even a few side gyms and legendary spots.

I know it's not a trivial thing to develop but you can't make all these Pokemon over the years and not account that people will want to play them.
This game is ripe for DLC

But you will get your third version with 100 new Pokémon and small additions because surprise surprise the dex culling was a decision made for monetary gain

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
Threats of any kind are way out of line, and I don't doubt that the game will be fun. That said, I've been with the series for every gen since the first, and for the first time, I'm skipping out entirely.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
If this is truly because of the cut, my god we are reaching a few levels too far here if the safety of people is of concern o.o

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
There is something that I don't get.Japan is often described as a country where people are disciplined and where violence is low. I do remmber there was a criminal fire in a studio recently, but overall it seems that kind of violence would be unlikely in Japan?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have to look hard to see petty anti-dev mentality being enabled and normalized, often hiding behind a flimsy "criticism" shield. The article might be speculative but it also would not surprise me to find out they're taking precautions based on some of the reactions.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spend your money on Luigi's Mansion 3 instead. It's a great game with a boatload of content and has a fantastic online co-op mode.

Nah, Luigi Mansion looks good in the graphical department but the game play wise it isn't as good as Luigi Mansion 1.

That's not likely to happened as Pokémon is a multimedia IP and one of the to renew interest in the series is well new Pokémon, which can't happen unless there is a new game for players to catch them.

As for the spin off tiles, well they no longer exist on consoles and have jettison off to mobile device as a free to play games. Plus they are't as popular as the main series game.

They can't afford to delay a game as they have a generation time line to follow as there are too many moving parts in the other section of the IP.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have to look hard to see petty anti-dev mentality being enabled and normalized, often hiding behind a flimsy "criticism" shield. The article might be speculative but it also would not surprise me to find out they're taking precautions based on some of the reactions.
"Anti-dev mentality"

Well that's a new one.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"Anti-dev mentality"

Well that's a new one.

Pretending nobody hates on Game Freak on era.

it's not hard to find recycled comments like: "Upscaled 3ds/ps2 graphics!", "give your IP to a more competent developer!", "they're just taking Pokemon away to sell them back to you later!", "they deserve all the backlash!" etc and this is on a heavily moderated forum where one step onto the rest of the internet its exponentially more unrestrained. There are still a few people being banned here for lazy dev comments or personal attacks on Serebii or whatever, and now imagine what happens when there's less moderation.

Last edited:

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It has 4 maps total, and combined equal about the size of one map from almost any of the first 10 games before it. Plus the maps themselves are just not good, and there wasn't any dlc. And no online.
1200px-MP3_Chilly_Waters_Board.png

tumblr_pg3zsoVHlG1rp5coao1_1280.jpg
Oh dear god. What the heck is with Nintendo and it's spin-off's recently? First Mario Tennis WiiU, and now then that? Shesh, Kamek's Tower barely looks like a map!

Status
Not open for further replies.