• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting a January or February launch, but it's possible that the shitstorm caused them to delay it. Who knows.

All I know is that May or June is the start of the next hype cycle, so it'll have to release before then.
What would delaying it do? No matter when they release it its going to rekindle the issue, considering there are many people who probably don't really understand that they can't import many of their Pokemon into the games.

I'm also of the opinion that if it was anything substantial that would stop the backlash they would have announced more details already. All they've really said concerning it is "Use Home and hope the Pokemon you like are in future games! We hope you keep buying them anyway!"

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, in Wyndon, at the Pokecenter.

And yeah, I agree with the themes and stuff. I actually really liked the whole battling as a football-like sport that they had going, and I wished the future games went that way as well because it makes a lot of sense given the structure, though like you I feel like they could have gone deeper on it. Mario Tennis for GBC did this better. And it ties in with the competitive aspect of Pokemon which is always going to be the endgame for anyone who keeps playing it past the story or dex completion.

I feel like towns are very pretty but very stale and dead. Most had one side quest or two at best. It doesn't actually compare unfavorably with older titles but I can't help but expect more, especially if they want this to be a game you play past the story, for whatever reason.
It's sad that Sapphire and Ruby did interviews and all this content with you as you went when you were a nameless trainer back on the GBA/3DS vs now when we're on a HD title with tons of experience behind it and the most we get is a shoutout interview at the finals. It's just really sad looking back at how much is just...missing.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean technically speaking, if you remove the wild Area the region is defacto smaller then Kanto. That is the biggest issue as the region certainly is the biggest thanks to the Wild Area, however in turn the game is completely spoiled thanks to how flat and uninspired it is. They absolutely need to implement the wild area gameplay into the routes and have the open world aspect spread out and gated with the player exploring the region repeatedly instead of being restricted to one void for the majority of the end game.
Yeah, I can't wait until someone makes a top down sprite style map of Galar, it's going to be very revealing of how small the routes are.

And I agree, they have to pick one approach and do it well. I'm fine with eschewing the routes if they make the open world really good and work on a nonlinear structure for the game (which is a big departure from tradition) or somehow do big open chunks of open world as routes that somehow integrate through traversal (like the unused trains). But trying to do both hurts both.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Each one is $10,000 and they raise your EVs by 10. With 2, there are 504 EVs, so you'd need to buy 51,so $510,000 if I'm doing my math right.

Small correction, you can actually have 510 EVs, though only 508 EVs do anything. so its more like $520,000.

Also, note that if you need EV spreads for specfic stuff (such as say when I EVed my Sandaconda to outspeed +1 Gyarados after Glare, which required 148 Speed EVs), you'll likely either need to use feathers or battle a few specfic Pokemon to reach your benchmark

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that Sapphire and Ruby did interviews and all this content with you as you went when you were a nameless trainer back on the GBA/3DS vs now when we're on a HD title with tons of experience behind it and the most we get is a shoutout interview at the finals. It's just really sad looking back at how much is just...missing.
There are little, meaningless details that I find myself wondering "Why not do this?" like the TV shows and channels and letters and contacts and all the small little subsystems that made Gen 2 feel really alive, including weekly schedules and stuff, I don't care.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There are little, meaningless details that I find myself wondering "Why not do this?" like the TV shows and channels and letters and contacts and all the small little subsystems that made Gen 2 feel really alive, including weekly schedules and stuff, I don't care.
At this point we're in the gen that made LOCAL TRADING a pain in the ass so I don't even know anymore.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, I can't wait until someone makes a top down sprite style map of Galar, it's going to be very revealing of how small the routes are.

And I agree, they have to pick one approach and do it well. I'm fine with eschewing the routes if they make the open world really good and work on a nonlinear structure for the game (which is a big departure from tradition) or somehow do big open chunks of open world as routes that somehow integrate through traversal (like the unused trains). But trying to do both hurts both.
I've said it earlier on in other threads, but the Wild Area style gameplay needs some internal retrospect from Gamefreak and for them to look at Unova. For example places like the Moor of Iccirus, Desert Resort, Lostlorn Forest, Undella Bay, Clay's Mines, etc all could work as extensions of the routes but without being treated as seperate areas in an effort to make the routes more open and offer a challenge or open ended platstyle while still retaining the route structure. Those are proto wild areas when thinking about it, and it would go a long way in making future regions far more interesting.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Red/Blue lasted me forever, and Gold and Silver (my personal favorites of the series) even more so. But check this out:

The Red/Blue map, which in game felt way larger/longer than it is, because of movement/sprite size, wild encounters and trainers.

I've said this before, but I think Game Freak were really dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era and have had a hard time adapting the series design to this level of fidelity and proportionality. This game is essentially the FFX of Pokemon games in terms of world content design: a simplified linear romp with fixed perspective corridors and one large area that's "open". All of which had to be propped up by other factors like the core gameplay loop. They're going through that FF "HD towns are hard" phase. Which feels very disappointing for history's biggest media property.

The map is a tiny bit disingenuous though since it doesn't include any of the indoor areas and maps, of which there were a TON. A lot of the routes had a huge cave between one town and another, and made routes feel longer because of it. Or the large amounts of time spent in indoor areas like rocket hideout or silph co. These are heavily missing from something like SwSh's map, where I feel like even when we did have caves/indoor areas they were done in like 2 minutes.

Not sure if that was the original point (fast moving thread) but to me SwSh routes and travel between towns definitely felt pretty empty. And in a lot of ways the overworld pokemon made this WORSE, since I could see what was there without even battling and know immediately if I wanted it or not, so some routes with mon I wasn't interested in went by in minutes. Wild area is interesting, but I think they did an awful job of implementing it into the story, it felt very clunky and disjointed, where I was never quite sure if I should be doing stuff there or not. Didn't really make up for the overly quick and simple routes.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The map is a tiny bit disingenuous though since it doesn't include any of the indoor areas and maps, of which there were a TON. A lot of the routes had a huge cave between one town and another, and made routes feel longer because of it. Or the large amounts of time spent in indoor areas like rocket hideout or silph co. These are heavily missing from something like SwSh's map, where I feel like even when we did have caves/indoor areas they were done in like 2 minutes.

Not sure if that was the original point (fast moving thread) but to me SwSh routes and travel between towns definitely felt pretty empty. And in a lot of ways the overworld pokemon made this WORSE, since I could see what was there without even battling and know immediately if I wanted it or not, so some routes with mon I wasn't interested in went by in minutes. Wild area is interesting, but I think they did an awful job of implementing it into the story, it felt very clunky and disjointed, where I was never quite sure if I should be doing stuff there or not. Didn't really make up for the overly quick and simple routes.

Yeah, that was the point. Not only are the routes mostly short and straightfoward, without random encounters or as many trainers to pad them out, but the game is sorely lacking in dungeons, caves and other indoor content.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Despite my myriad of issues going in (Dexit, GTS going away, etc), I ended up buying Sword, in part because the wifey wanted to play it as well. Having just beaten it today (with her right on my coattails), I have to say that the core experience is as excellent and addictive as it's ever been, but man there's a lot of frustrating bullshit that gets on my nerves sometimes.

I mean, take the last part of the game. When the story suddenly decided to intrude on the proceedings at the worst possible moment (you know the one), I literally shouted "Oh come the FUCK on" at my television. And this seems like it's the case on all levels: having there be a random chance for Pokémon to escape capture in Max Raid battles without a means to fight them again is fucking bullshit (especially given the extremely random gatcha nature of the Dens to begin with, and the utter shit that is the net code preventing me from ever getting real people on a raid, and the gutter trash npcs that help instead).

Honestly, if it wasn't for the Raid Den farming exploit, I probably wouldn't even bother with the postgame. Yet all that said...it's still in competition to be my GoTY.

This game sure is something, y'all.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my 5th badge from Opal the other night - continue to really enjoy the game. I think right now my biggest complaint is the size of the towns - I was expecting much bigger/better but each one has continually disappointed me in the size. Bellonea was BEAUTIFUL but damn you're there for like 5 minutes and it has I think 2 houses and Pokemon Center.

Hope we get some really massive towns in the next games.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question that hopefully doesn't get lost in the shuffle, can't find definitive confirmation online does anyone know where game saves are stored on cartridge version? Have sword on cartridge, can I pop that into my brother's switch and trade with my switch where I have shield digitally, or is data saved on switch SD card or internal memory? How does it work with accounts, is my save linked to my account? Can I log in to my account on both switches and trade that way?

Thanks for help, surprisingly hard to find a definitive answer online.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Hmm? What do you mean? Local trading is the one thing I don't have issues doing. I just hit Link Trade on both systems, no link code or anything, and it just works.
My gf and I constantly have issues doing both with a link code and without. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes we're sitting there waiting for 5-10 minutes for it to pick up the other person. Now we just sit there and don't move our characters when we're trying to trade because it just seems like doing anything adds to the time it takes for the game to find the other switch. She's literally in the same room as I am so I don't know.

On top of local trading being needlessly convoluted (you should be able to just put up a "I'm trading" and be able to join like raid battles via stamps) the stamp system doesn't work consistently. We'll be playing co-op in the Wild area, can see each other on the map, in the same room, can talk to her npc and hear that it's looking for a raid, see the stamp come up, go to my stamps and lo and behold they're not there. The only solution is going online then offline again for the stamp refresh because bafflingly you can only refresh the stamps like once per 5 minutes unless you change modes.

The issues happen on both of our switches on wifi in the same room. So for us it has never "just worked" on top of taking forever in the beginning to even get the first trade going. Before we found link codes we just sat there with "trading" on hoping that it would eventually pick each other up and nothing happened, so we said fuck it and started using exclusively link codes. Other people have had issues with the stamps/raids/etc as well.

EDIT: We never had any issues with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, for point of reference. This was the first game where trying to do it was a chore.

I mean technically speaking, if you remove the wild Area the region is defacto smaller then Kanto. That is the biggest issue as the region certainly is the biggest thanks to the Wild Area, however in turn the game is completely spoiled thanks to how flat and uninspired it is. They absolutely need to implement the wild area gameplay into the routes and have the open world aspect spread out and gated with the player exploring the region repeatedly instead of being restricted to one void for the majority of the end game.
^ This would make any future game 100% better just by virtue of being able to completely co-op the whole game with my gf, minus maybe some gyms and instanced areas that are solo for convenience sake. We really did enjoy dressing up and hanging out, helping each other get certain mons, and going and doing raids together. We want more co-op opportunities. After Let's Go botched them and this game teased it I really hope local co-op becomes more of a thing in the next game.

Last edited:

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know exactly how Runerigus's Wandering spirit ability works? I keep seeing conflicting reports on whether it works on getting hit or getting hit and attacking.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Tower Leon is kicking my ass. This dude has spanked my team every time I've faced him so far. Ugh.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Battle Tower Leon is kicking my ass. This dude has spanked my team every time I've faced him so far. Ugh.
It's interesting how varied experiences are with him. I mopped the floor with him like he was just another NPC.

In fact, Battle Tower is much easier than I remember it ever being growing up. I'm wondering if it was worth breeding a comp team for this.

I'm actually very pissed as so much from BT was stripped, because I was planning on co-oping it with my wife. Hadn't played gen 6-7 BT stuff very much, I did tree but did not know it was co-op.

Like if there ever needed to be a Pokemon game that exemplified that the core experience was addicting beyond reason for some, these titles would be it. Almost everything of substance stripped, a laughable jarring story, bugged to hell online and trading, and despite all these issues its still a great game in some aspects.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how varied experiences are with him. I mopped the floor with him like he was just another NPC.

In fact, Battle Tower is much easier than I remember it ever being growing up. I'm wondering if it was worth breeding a comp team for this.

I'm actually very pissed as so much from BT was stripped, because I was planning on co-oping it with my wife. Hadn't played gen 6-7 BT stuff very much, I did tree but did not know it was co-op.

Like if there ever needed to be a Pokemon game that exemplified that the core experience was addicting beyond reason for some, these titles would be it. Almost everything of substance stripped, a laughable jarring story, bugged to hell online and trading, and despite all these issues its still a great game in some aspects.

I dont play competitive so I found Leon to be pretty challenging as well as some of the other NPCs so far. The main game was easy enough but a lot of the BP opponents so far have been using status effects moves that I was woefully unprepared for and actually bothering to switch out Pokemon to take advantage of mismatches. Similarly, I have to do a better job of making sure my Pokemon have a good balance of buffs / protects in their movesets and good items to carry. I never had to think about this stuff before lol

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know exactly how Runerigus's Wandering spirit ability works? I keep seeing conflicting reports on whether it works on getting hit or getting hit and attacking.
Whenever it makes physical contact.
This can be an attack on it or with it, as long as it makes contact.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, yes, give Copperahjah another abusable Sheer Force move in Play Rough.

Why are some Pokemon like him and Drednaw blessed with amazing movepools but my Octoloct suffers.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I dont play competitive so I found Leon to be pretty challenging as well as some of the other NPCs so far. The main game was easy enough but a lot of the BP opponents so far have been using status effects moves that I was woefully unprepared for and actually bothering to switch out Pokemon to take advantage of mismatches. Similarly, I have to do a better job of making sure my Pokemon have a good balance of buffs / protects in their movesets and good items to carry. I never had to think about this stuff before lol
I'd recommend putting protect on some your Pokemon, or breeding some just for use in the tower. The moves will be less fun, but more practical. You use moves like protect for scouting out moves your enemy uses, for example.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
My gf and I constantly have issues doing both with a link code and without. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes we're sitting there waiting for 5-10 minutes for it to pick up the other person. Now we just sit there and don't move our characters when we're trying to trade because it just seems like doing anything adds to the time it takes for the game to find the other switch. She's literally in the same room as I am so I don't know.

On top of local trading being needlessly convoluted (you should be able to just put up a "I'm trading" and be able to join like raid battles via stamps) the stamp system doesn't work consistently. We'll be playing co-op in the Wild area, can see each other on the map, in the same room, can talk to her npc and hear that it's looking for a raid, see the stamp come up, go to my stamps and lo and behold they're not there. The only solution is going online then offline again for the stamp refresh because bafflingly you can only refresh the stamps like once per 5 minutes unless you change modes.

The issues happen on both of our switches on wifi in the same room. So for us it has never "just worked" on top of taking forever in the beginning to even get the first trade going. Before we found link codes we just sat there with "trading" on hoping that it would eventually pick each other up and nothing happened, so we said fuck it and started using exclusively link codes. Other people have had issues with the stamps/raids/etc as well.

EDIT: We never had any issues with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, for point of reference. This was the first game where trying to do it was a chore.

^ This would make any future game 100% better just by virtue of being able to completely co-op the whole game with my gf, minus maybe some gyms and instanced areas that are solo for convenience sake. We really did enjoy dressing up and hanging out, helping each other get certain mons, and going and doing raids together. We want more co-op opportunities. After Let's Go botched them and this game teased it I really hope local co-op becomes more of a thing in the next game.
Huh, that is definitely really weird. I did about 100 Ditto raids with myself and how it is supposed to work when on local communications is that even if you just refreshed the stamps it will quickly bring the refresh option back up when someone starts hosting a raid battle. Yet clearly that and trades are not working right for you guys.

Definitely sounds like a bug that needs to be patched but knowing GF probably won't be. It really sucks that it is bugged for you guys. WTF GameFreak!?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
You can farm multiple raids in one den, right?
For example, I'm farming Ditto raids right now. Can I get multiple in the same den in the same day? Maybe it's just bad luck but no raids have been popping up for a while since I did my last one.
anyone wanna trade me an oranguru for a passimian (or anything else you want)?

No problem, thanks for the help!

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
ugh i just realized there's no way to get both type: null and silvally in a single file ;-;

my living dex weeps, the only pokemon missing will be zamazenta and type: null :(

Status
Not open for further replies.