• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just got past the fairy gym, enjoying the game. Readung above makes me think there's a whole other way to play this that I am not aware of. Guess I'm a casual lol

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so does Rotom not have a den in this game? Can't find anything on one. No idea how people get perfect IV Rotoms w/o PkHex if that's the case.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
On a roll tonight with doubles, my ranking is in the top 150 :D
ELP0kh0U0AAigdm

It's funny how many wins in a row you get impacts the ranking. You're in the 150 with +4 win/loss ratio, and I'm in the 900 with +15... :)

So I've been thinking of making a competitive Pokémon OT but was curious if enough people were actually interested to justify the effort.

I'm interested!
There are many things to talk about. (I've literally just learned about the new way Speed is calculated mid-turn!)

I beat the Battle Tower, both Singles and Doubles. I've already bred every Pokémon I have any interest in and don't care to catch em all. I guess besides online battles, I'm done with the game. Kind of afraid to play online honestly. Competitive Pokémon is intimidating.

Completing the Dex can feel overwhelming and not fun, but there is a new feature in Gen 8 that I quite like on this topic: when you open the Pokedex, the first page gives you a list of Pokémon to catch, where to get them, and they actually have improved chances of appearing!

Completing the Dex by small steps and specific goals is more fun to me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how many wins in a row you get impacts the ranking. You're in the 150 with +4 win/loss ratio, and I'm in the 900 with +15... :)

I'm interested!
There are many things to talk about. (I've literally just learned about the new way Speed is calculated mid-turn!)

Completing the Dex can feel overwhelming and not fun, but there is a new feature in Gen 8 that I quite like on this topic: when you open the Pokedex, the first page gives you a list of Pokémon to catch, where to get them, and they actually have improved chances of appearing!

Completing the Dex by small steps and specific goals is more fun to me.
yeah it definitely weighs the more recent results more than the overall w/l ratio. Which kind of makes sense since people are probably adjusting their teams a bit and recent results just generally reveal more about current skill level than if you lost a lot starting out

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If you're interested let me know if you can do a write up on the general meta, as well as maybe highlight a few key Pokémon and how they're used
I'm interested in both formats at the moment (and Smogon's, but with them getting away even further from the current gen gameplay with banning Dynamax, I'm not sure) so I'd be in full support of a thread dedicated to it. Don't know how popular it would be though. But as I said before, I'm not super experienced and while I love theorycrafting and competitive gameplay, this is the first pokemon I've decided to go full in on the competitive battling aspect.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so does Rotom not have a den in this game? Can't find anything on one. No idea how people get perfect IV Rotoms w/o PkHex if that's the case.
Rotom can also be bred with Ditto. I have a few perfect IV Rotoms myself.

I tried the egg peeking glitch. Neat parlor trick. Too bad you need to be out of level up candies for the evolution trick to work.

What does this mean? Or rather, what can you do with it?
What egg peeking glitch?

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the category icons when looking at moves? How do I know if an attack is classified as physical or special? I'm trying to decide where to put the last bit of my Inteleon EVs. U Turn I guess is a physical? And all physical attacks go off the attack stat, not the Sp attack stat?

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So what are the category icons when looking at moves? How do I know if an attack is classified as physical or special? I'm trying to decide where to put the last bit of my Inteleon EVs. U Turn I guess is a physical? And all physical attacks go off the attack stat, not the Sp attack stat?

Physical looks like a spikey multisided star in the Category icon. Special looks like Rings, like a Target. Yes U-Turn is physical so it goes off Attack stats.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's your team, if it's not much asking? (just team, no need details like items and moveset)
I actually posted it as a rental team a while back and haven't made any changes since. Was thinking of posting it on r/vgc as celebration so I can repost it here for those curious. It's not the easiest team to use though so keep that in mind, it relies a lot on experience for choosing the right leads and team members
EKktxCJUEAUDdF2

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I actually posted it as a rental team a while back and haven't made any changes since. Was thinking of posting it on r/vgc as celebration so I can repost it here for those curious. It's not the easiest team to use though so keep that in mind, it relies a lot on experience for choosing the right leads and team members
EKktxCJUEAUDdF2

Looks like a very nice rain team. I assume none of them appreciate being burned tho :D

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
EKktxCJUEAUDdF2

Why no Ludicolo or Raichu instead of Rotom?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why no Ludicolo or Raichu instead of Rotom?
A few reasons. One is that it started as a Rotom-w and changing it to a Rotom-mow was the quickest way to patch up my team. Another is I appreciate both the grass and electric coverage and either of those only gives me one or the other. I'm also not that afraid of electric types so Raichu doesn't really offer that much

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Did the max possible EV gain for each Pokémon change? 10x26=260 if so I have to rethink this Rotom Wash build.
It's still 510 total Evs. But 255 max into a singular stat. So pumping 26 vitamins is just maxing it completely out with a touch of over kill. In this game, when maxing a stat I want, I like to equip the pokemon with the EV training item pertaining to the stat, and leaving them in the Poke-Job thing at the PC. If you leave them for a Whole Day with the training item equipped, they get 252 EVs in that stat which is the optimal amount. I do that for the two stats I want over 48 hours and then give them a vitamin for their last little bit needed in a third stat to max out their EVs. Unless I'm doing mixed EVs that is. Then I'll just vitamin the whole thing. If you have the money for it, vitamins are obviously the fastest route to maxing EVs.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized I messed up the team I posted since I had changed the item on Rotom M from a coba berry (which is useless and I dumbly forgot when I made it) to a sitrus berry, will fix soon

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
What's popular in Doubles currently? Now that I have the basic framework for my singles team I want try my hand in this gen's Doubles ladder but I have no idea what it's like now and it always feels more difficult to build for

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's popular in Doubles currently? Now that I have the basic framework for my singles team I want try my hand in this gen's Doubles ladder but I have no idea what it's like now and it always feels more difficult to build for
I'd recommend watching Wolfe Glick's (Former VGC World champion) analysis for doubles pokemon as well as Cybertron's road to ranked series which shows off a lot of different teams and team types. BUt in general the popular archetypes are sand, trick room, and rain right now. Specific threats include Dragapult, Excadrill, Rotom (Wash, mow, and heat are all present), Tyranitar, Indeedee, Hatterne, Rhyperior, among others

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Physical looks like a spikey multisided star in the Category icon. Special looks like Rings, like a Target. Yes U-Turn is physical so it goes off Attack stats.

Gotcha thanks. My Inteleon's attack sucks, I specced him in Sp attack and speed with a touch of defense. But I think I'll keep uturn anyway as it's super useful as a tactic move.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
My shiny luck is gone. Hatched a bunch of blipbugs and no shiny. I should start farming the BT so I can make a competitive Dracovish

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm probably just missing something obvious, but I'm having the hardest time joining/getting people to join raids...
It's not just you, the system in place is really crappy imo. The list doesn't refresh fast enough and players see Raids far too late to join because they've either launched or disbanded already. What I do, is cycle between going online, going local, and when I see a long populated list when I go online I know I got a lot of fresh hits. Then I have my pick of who I want to join. When I make my own raids sometimes I'll sit and wait to see if anyone wants in, but not many people ever do, or they aren't looking at a fresh raid list the way I do.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend watching Wolfe Glick's (Former VGC World champion) analysis for doubles pokemon as well as Cybertron's road to ranked series which shows off a lot of different teams and team types. BUt in general the popular archetypes are sand, trick room, and rain right now. Specific threats include Dragapult, Excadrill, Rotom (Wash, mow, and heat are all present), Tyranitar, Indeedee, Hatterne, Rhyperior, among others
Thanks. Oof, that's a lot of threats. Think I'll play test a bit on Showdown before I make a concrete team in the game

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Oof, that's a lot of threats. Think I'll play test a bit on Showdown before I make a concrete team in the game
It sounds like a lot, but most of them are very team specific. Like you're pretty much never going to see Rhyperior outside a trick room team and Tyranitar is almost always paired with Excadrill. Indeedee is mostly used to redirect in trick room teams, etc.

Deleted member 60992

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It's still 510 total Evs. But 255 max into a singular stat. So pumping 26 vitamins is just maxing it completely out with a touch of over kill. In this game, when maxing a stat I want, I like to equip the pokemon with the EV training item pertaining to the stat, and leaving them in the Poke-Job thing at the PC. If you leave them for a Whole Day with the training item equipped, they get 252 EVs in that stat which is the optimal amount. I do that for the two stats I want over 48 hours and then give them a vitamin for their last little bit needed in a third stat to max out their EVs. Unless I'm doing mixed EVs that is. Then I'll just vitamin the whole thing. If you have the money for it, vitamins are obviously the fastest route to maxing EVs.

Thanks for explaining the Poké Jobs EV Training for me.

I just decided to to use vitamins and it worked out. I was just one vitamin off in Special Attack but that's ok considering the rest of the EV's turned out the way I wanted them if not a few points more invested then I intended.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to build a trick room team but getting a 5 perfect, 0 speed iv ditto is so hard lol

I've just been play testing on showdown and working out kinks but I feel like the showdown teams are different than the ones you see actually in game lol

duraludon really is a pretty good counter to follow me trick room

right now my team is indeedee, hatterene, cofagrigus, copperajah, drampa and grapploct

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
From the most recent Galar weekly:

The meta is obviously still developing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.