• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
How do you all organize your boxes? This is the first time I've had so many Pokemon, like 24 full boxes so far.
Starting to not be able to find anything.

I was actually just organizing my boxes!

- A copy of (almost) every fully evolved Pokemon, organized by type, so I can easily grab something if I need it for breeding.
- One box dedicated to breeding mons. Dittos, Synchronizers, and my Flame Body Chandelure. I'm currently keeping my bred Pokemon in here, but I'm gonna have to make another box eventually.
-One box dedicated to Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities.
-One box dedicated to 4/5 IV foreign mons for Masuda Method until I can get an acceptable Ditto.

The type organization isn't really necessary with search, but I still have plenty of boxes open for breeding rejects. and it soothes my OCD.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
I miss using swarm battles to EV train back in X/Y. With just an EV item and using Sweet Scent to trigger battles, you got like 30 EV per battle, just took like 8-9 battles to finish a stat. Was the best balance for me between having to actually do some fighting to EV train but still being reasonably fast.

Also, I know I'm heavily in the minority here but I also really liked super training hah. For fun I would occasionally fully EV train my X/Y ingame teams right when I caught the pokemon.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
LqGozvw.jpg

Ayyyy! First time ever hatching a shiny. I'll have to Hyper Train her Attack, but otherwise she's ready to go!

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to surprise trade my 4 iv dittos and got a lot of good stuff.

HA Drilbur
Ferroseed in a Heavy Ball
HA Darrumaka in a Heavy Ball
Mystery Gift Meowth
HA Sinistea
HA Farfetched
HA Charmander

Also got a Scorbunny which was the last starter I needed

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
How do you all organize your boxes? This is the first time I've had so many Pokemon, like 24 full boxes so far.

My kind of min-max talk! The number of boxes dedicated to some categories fluctuates but here's how things stand:

2 Boxes - "Team": For pokemon used during my playthrough or in online battles.

14 Boxes - "#001-#400": A work-in-progress living dex of the Galar region. Unoptimized set-up since it wastes like 20 spaces.

3 Boxes - "Extras": Pokemon that don't fit anywhere else. Mostly pokemon I want to release eventually but am not done with yet because they make for interesting breeding projects. Also pokemon that will eventually join my Masuda Living Dex in Pokemon Home and I didn't have room for in the Galar Region Pokedex.

4 Boxes - "Lottery": A growing collection of foreign OT pokemon whose final two ID digits cover the range from 00 to 99 in order to guarantee at least a PP Up from the daily lottery.

3 Boxes - "Breeding": Holds Dittos, a Flame Body hatcher and, while I'm in the process of breeding, also parents and offspring.

1 Box - "Trade Stock": This is where I store pokemon that seem too good to be surprise gifted away or pokemon reserved for friends.

3 Boxes - "Surprise Trades": Dumping ground for breeding rejects until I have time to do a bunch of Surprise Trades in a row.

1 Box - "Brilliant Aura": Where I toss in yellow aura pokemon I caught and haven't had time to check for IV and valuable egg moves and sort into the living dex or toss away yet.

1 Box - "Special" - Legendary and Gmax pokemon go here.

I'd need about 6-8 additional boxes to feel organized and double the space to be happy.

Yeah I was hoping to stay away from that option as it takes so long lol

You could do 24 x HP Up, 4 x Calcium, 20 x Carbon and then seven hours of PokeJobs (two hours HP, one hour SpA, four hours Speed) - or just do the vitamins and the three hours for HP and SpA and then feed Rotom two more Carbon until max (should cap out at 218 EV).

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they update the game to personally spite me

Ive been passing time for hours trying to get both fog in hammerlocke hills and then later just resetting the watchtower ruins den

The game is refusing to even give me a chance at catching Honedge. This is miserable.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was hoping to stay away from that option as it takes so long lol
Since you can see Pokemon on the map it's fairly easy now to just manually fight for the last couple of EVs after using vitamins to get to the nearest 10. Some good choices might be Linoone (2 Speed EVs), and Maractus (2 special Attack).
Also, the power items give 8 relevant EVs per fight, so if you get Speed to 200 and SpA to 40, then fight 2 Maractus, you'll get 4 SpA and 16 Speed EVs for just those two fights. Pokerus will halve this to just one fight if you have it, but it might be faster to just do the two fights rather than spread it first (if you even have it).
For the final EV you can just use vitamins to go over the limit, i.e once SpA and Speed are set, just use 25 HP Ups to finish training.

Bulbapedia has a good, sortable list of Pokemon by the EV rewards they give out. Watch out for ones that give EVs in multiple stats, though.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you want the final few EVs, just use PokeJobs, you get 4 EVs per hour for the stat of your choice, so just leave it there whilst you do other things like work, sleep, or even starting to raise another mon.

It multiplies with PokeRus and the Power Items as well, and will cap at 252 all the time as well.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have one default box that is where newly caught pokemons go into (mostly from raids farming, which are used as trade fodder for uneven trades) as well as pokejobs returnees. It is also where mons for trade are relocated to when a trade is agreed upon. The incoming mons are wait here for classification.

Then I have a living pokedex where each line has at least one HA pokemon (if currently available) and each species in the line in a different special ball (e.g.Beast Ball Applin with Bulletproof, Friend Ball Appletun, etc) if possible. After the living pokedex (14 boxes) I have the other regional/alternate forms and pokemon in other aprimon if they don't fit in the living dex.

Then I just have several boxes of pokemon ready for trade. These are either HA and/or Rare Ball pokemon or pokemon with competitive spreads, natures and abilities. I don't keep breedjects.

Then a couple of boxes with perfect Pokemon, i.e. Best in everything they want and No Good in everything they don't want, which are also perfect parents. I have more way than I need due to shiny hunting. Then I have a box for gigantamax pokemon (mostly filled with the event ones), one for valuable dittos, 2 boxes for shinies,

I have one breeding toolbox...box, where I have one ditto for each nature, my flame body pokemon and a handful of pokerus dispensers.

Then I have the final box where I keep my daily workhorse pokemon and other BR pokeys, as well as other valuable stuff like mews and my personal set of perfect dittos for perfecting IVs.

I think I'm not missing anything.

At some point I might start separating HA/Aprimon and Competitively Bred pokeys and BR (with EV Training) pokeys up for trade, but I don't know.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
You must have missed past cloud save threads.
I didn't and honestly don't quite recall people saying it would prevent hacked mons. That makes no sense. Unless they also considered cloned mons as hacked.
Anyone hacking Pokémon to trade or battle is putting themselves at risk of getting their Switch banned anyways.

And? Why is preventing cloning more important than protecting people's save files?
I never said I agree with their decision, just that it indeed worked.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Did a few Surprise Trades this morning to get rid of my Mimikyu breedjects.

So, to whoever sent me a level 4 Wooloo from what's probably their very first Surprise Trade : I'm sorry for ruining the game to you if you choose to use the almost perfect Mimikyu I gave you which will make the game even easier.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Checking in after about my first 25 hours...
Man, I have so many problems with this game, some of them since X/Y(the last Pokemon game I played)...I hate that such a high profile release just needs to be "kinda nice" to sidestep any of my numerous criticisms, but in the end it's just as fun as playing Pokemon Red all those years ago. That's basically what my review would look like.
I can't get around that Pokemon charm.
There's N64 trees, and I see them, but they could be GameBoy trees and I still would have bought the game. I'm weak, and powerless against it.
There is so much missing in this game, and yet, all the things I would come up with PAGES of replies about , just don't matter anymore once I got to see, fight and catch all the mons I didn't know.
And the Raids! It's a hassle to join raids and it's a hassle to wait for people to join the one you started, but once it happens they're so much fun!

All of the criticisms over the last few months were valid, and I even agree with most of them, but the game (Shield in my case) is still damn fun. It's not a 9 but it's an 8 at least, for me. Before playing it and reexperiencing that Pokemon thing I think I would have laughed off even an 8

I know GF still has a long way to go to even match up to 10 years ago, and I'm probably part of the problem of not making them realize that, but I really hope this game is just a springboard for them. There is nothing ambitious here. Just good Pokemon basics.
I hope Gen 9 gives everyone that breakout moment. I don't think I will buy another run-of-the-mill game next time.
Make your Sinnoh remake and then blow us away with a new concept, tech, and formular GF!

Oh and if you're not in the Grookey Gang, I can't help you.

P.S. : Marnie is the bestest btw.

Edit: Got a Scorbunny in my first WT...like 10 minutes after I unlocked the feature. Worked like a charm I guess. :P

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
My kind of min-max talk! The number of boxes dedicated to some categories fluctuates but here's how things stand:

2 Boxes - "Team": For pokemon used during my playthrough or in online battles.

14 Boxes - "#001-#400": A work-in-progress living dex of the Galar region. Unoptimized set-up since it wastes like 20 spaces.

3 Boxes - "Extras": Pokemon that don't fit anywhere else. Mostly pokemon I want to release eventually but am not done with yet because they make for interesting breeding projects. Also pokemon that will eventually join my Masuda Living Dex in Pokemon Home and I didn't have room for in the Galar Region Pokedex.

4 Boxes - "Lottery": A growing collection of foreign OT pokemon whose final two ID digits cover the range from 00 to 99 in order to guarantee at least a PP Up from the daily lottery.

3 Boxes - "Breeding": Holds Dittos, a Flame Body hatcher and, while I'm in the process of breeding, also parents and offspring.

1 Box - "Trade Stock": This is where I store pokemon that seem too good to be surprise gifted away or pokemon reserved for friends.

3 Boxes - "Surprise Trades": Dumping ground for breeding rejects until I have time to do a bunch of Surprise Trades in a row.

1 Box - "Brilliant Aura": Where I toss in yellow aura pokemon I caught and haven't had time to check for IV and valuable egg moves and sort into the living dex or toss away yet.

1 Box - "Special" - Legendary and Gmax pokemon go here.

I'd need about 6-8 additional boxes to feel organized and double the space to be happy.

You could do 24 x HP Up, 4 x Calcium, 20 x Carbon and then seven hours of PokeJobs (two hours HP, one hour SpA, four hours Speed) - or just do the vitamins and the three hours for HP and SpA and then feed Rotom two more Carbon until max (should cap out at 218 EV).
So how many vitamins for the bolder method? Kind of confused.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So how many vitamins for the bolder method? Kind of confused.
For your stat spread:

• 248 HP
  • 44 SpA
  • 216 Spe

You want to buy 24 HP Ups (that's 240 HP EVs), 21 Carbos (210 Speed EVs), and 4 Calcium (40 Sp. Attack EVs)

Then choose Very Short HP seminar in Pokejobs (8 HP EVs), Just a Little Special Attack seminar (4 Special Attack EVs), then very short Speed seminar ( 8 Speed EVs)

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
For your stat spread:

• 248 HP
  • 44 SpA
  • 216 Spe

You want to buy 24 HP Ups (that's 240 HP EVs), 21 Carbos (210 Speed EVs), and 4 Calcium (40 Sp. Attack EVs)

Then choose Very Short HP seminar in Pokejobs (8 HP EVs), Just a Little Special Attack seminar (4 Special Attack EVs), then very short Speed seminar ( 8 Speed EVs)
Thanks!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I decided on the first Pokemon I'm gonna grind encounters with (do you have to beat them for it to count?) to get a Shiny...

Noctowl. Always wanted a legit one like Ash.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Checking in after about my first 25 hours...
Man, I have so many problems with this game, some of them since X/Y(the last Pokemon game I played)...I hate that such a high profile release just needs to be "kinda nice" to sidestep any of my numerous criticisms, but in the end it's just as fun as playing Pokemon Red all those years ago. That's basically what my review would look like.
I can't get around that Pokemon charm.
There's N64 trees, and I see them, but they could be GameBoy trees and I still would have bought the game. I'm weak, and powerless against it.
There is so much missing in this game, and yet, all the things I would come up with PAGES of replies about , just don't matter anymore once I got to see, fight and catch all the mons I didn't know.
And the Raids! It's a hassle to join raids and it's a hassle to wait for people to join the one you started, but once it happens they're so much fun!

All of the criticisms over the last few months were valid, and I even agree with most of them, but the game (Shield in my case) is still damn fun. It's not a 9 but it's an 8 at least, for me. Before playing it and reexperiencing that Pokemon thing I think I would have laughed off even an 8

This sentiment is kinda exactly how I feel. I seem to mostly post criticism and issues I have with the game here, but in the end I hopelessly just enjoy the pokemon formula, and have since playing my friend's copy of pokemon red in 3rd grade from start to like Viridian forest like 9 times cause I couldn't overwrite his save. There are a ton of problems with this game, but in the end I'm having enough fun that I'm on my third full playthrough.

Raids are weird for me though. I don't really find them very fun, they're pretty repetitive and doing them solo feels almost random sometimes with whether the NPCs will cooperate. But I also can't stop doing them, I enjoy the loop of trying to get more TRs and candies and stuff from them, but the moment to moment gameplay is pretty meh for me. Also not sure how I feel about candies. They're very useful for getting competitive pokemon you bred ready to go, but I still kinda hate the idea that you can get a pokemon fully competition ready without it ever having seen a single battle.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My biggest gripe is with all Pokemon having workable overworld models I wish we had more scenes of them working around the world.

Like there's Maractus helping out in Stow in Side and that's like it. More of that.

Oh and sidequests that involve Pokemon. Like give me wacky Yazuka style ones but with Pokemon.

Matieo

Feb 14, 2019
Does anyone have a Grookey they're willing to trade? I'm stuck at 397 for my pokedex.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see the trading thread.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Can someone tell me the appeal of rare pokemon hunting?

I'm trying to complete my list of all the Dragon type pokemon in the game, and so, I'm running around in circles in a snow storm, for hours, trying to get a Duraludon to spawn.

This isn't fun. I'm not even engaging with the mechanics of the larger game. It's just tedious pulls of the slot machine.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
LqGozvw.jpg

Ayyyy! First time ever hatching a shiny. I'll have to Hyper Train her Attack, but otherwise she's ready to go!

Congrats! Reminds me of my precious shiny, 6IV Bounsweet I found in Sun, and my first Gen VII shiny! I moved over to Ultra Moon when it released, raised/evolved it and used for competitive quite succcessfully. I named her Majesteena (Thought it was a good nickname fitting her theme).

.....And now she's stuck there until Home. At least she can cross the boarder eventually I guess, unlike some poor Mons' whose passports will never be valid :(

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Lol got a Wailord in a surprise trade named "your mom"
My favorite so far is a Greedent I received named "Regret".
Congrats! Reminds me of my precious shiny, 6IV Bounsweet I found in Sun, and my first Gen VII shiny! I moved over to Ultra Moon when it released, raised/evolved it and used for competitive quite succcessfully. I named her Majesteena (Thought it was a good nickname fitting her theme).

.....And now she's stuck there until Home. At least she can cross the boarder eventually I guess, unlike some poor Mons' whose passports will never be valid :(
My first shiny was a Clefairy I can vaguely remember in Platinum. (I barely played that gen) This is my second and my first time actually hatching a ine. I actually hatched a few 6IV Bounsweet, but they had Leaf Guard and I figured my chances were good enough I'd rather keep hatching than farm an Ability Capsule.

Paid off!

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Let me see if I'm understanding this right, but you can only get hidden abilities at random from certain raid dens?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I used Low Kick on a Cloyster and it didn't work and I have no idea why. It said something about someone shaking their heads. I know it wasn't Cloyster's ability so what was it?

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
I used Low Kick on a Cloyster and it didn't work and I have no idea why. It said something about someone shaking their heads. I know it wasn't Cloyster's ability so what was it?
Moves that take into account the target's weight don't work in raid battles. No clue why they still let you select them and then have them fail instead of just telling you they won't work.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a gigantamax alcreamie. I don't even care about anything else tbh I just wanted the G I G A C A K E

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Let me see if I'm understanding this right, but you can only get hidden abilities at random from certain raid dens?

Pretty much. More or less each den has a set pool of pokemon it pulls from for its common (red beam) and rare (purple beam) versions. For each den with a specific pool of pokemon, there are 1-5ish locations of that pokemon pool throughout the wild area. Each pool of pokemon also has some subset of those pokemon eligible to come with the hidden ability, while the rest of the pool only has standard abilities, and chance at hidden ability seems to increase with number of stars of the raid battle.

Yea, not confusing at all hah. Basically if you want a hidden ability pokemon, your best bet is looking up on serebii what den number can spawn that pokemon with a hidden ability, then use a den map to find a location and date spam until that den has the pokemon you want, then hope it has a HA. Keep in mind, some pokemon have literally no den that they spawn in with hidden abilities, like Toxicroak, so you just can't get those.

I can't even imagine how annoying catching HA pokemon will be if they ever patch out date spamming for raids... One of the more poorly designed versions of finding HA pokemon in recent generations.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Fire gym is actually difficult if you choose to avoid hard-walling Ninetales and Arcanine with a type disadvantage. The will-O-wisp and fire spin combo is painful, as is the final mon with its multi-type attack spread. Arcanine is a challenging bruiser to fight after Ninetales too. Whoever designed that battle did a good job.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fire gym is actually difficult if you choose to avoid hard-walling Ninetales and Arcanine with a type disadvantage. The will-O-wisp and fire spin combo is painful, as is the final mon with its multi-type attack spread. Arcanine is a challenging bruiser to fight after Ninetales too. Whoever designed that battle did a good job.
Agreed, that was a tough fight...had to spam items quite a bit.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they should go back to 2 Abilities max for each Pokemon and ditch HAs. I mean it seems most Pokemon don't get much use out of atleast one of their Abilities.

That way you can Ability Capsule Pokemon. Maybe make some Abilities though rare on Pokemon...like with the Starters where's there's a clear better Ability...to keep some element of grinding for it in tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.