• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bit confused at the moment:
The other day, I was trying to grind for Watts while looking for a specific Pokémon when I captured a Silicobra during a Max Raid that had its Hidden Ability (Sand Veil). This is a bit confusing to me since the Silicobra appeared in the Watchtower Ruins and most sites like Serebii don't list it as native to any of the dens in that section and said listings say the ability for base Pokémon that spawn from these dens are standard i.e. Ability 1 or 2, not their Hidden Ability.

How did this happen? I can provide pictures once I figure out why my Switch Lite isn't playing nice with the capture function.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably just missing something obvious, but I'm having the hardest time joining/getting people to join raids...

So I personally missed the fact that you have to CHOOSE TO GO ONLINE before it will start searching online for raids, and was searching only local for like the first hour. The default is local, you have to go into y-comm and press like + or something to do internet stuff. If you already knew this and are still having issues, yea matchmaking in general is pretty bad even when it works.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The other day, I was trying to grind for Watts while looking for a specific Pokémon when I captured a Silicobra during a Max Raid that had its Hidden Ability (Sand Veil). This is a bit confusing to me since the Silicobra appeared in the Watchtower Ruins and most sites like Serebii don't list it as native to any of the dens in that section and said listings say the ability for base Pokémon that spawn from these dens are standard i.e. Ability 1 or 2, not their Hidden Ability.

How did this happen? I can provide pictures once I figure out why my Switch Lite isn't playing nice with the capture function.
It's the Event Den, which can spawn anywhere if you're connected to the internet.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I read in here that you can get more beast balls through the battle tower, but I'm not seeing that through googling. Is it possible to get more Beast Balls? Or do you only get the single one in the game?

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Breeding question (I'm new). I have 2 4IV dittos that cover all the stats. Ditto gets the destiny knot, and I've gotten the 4 IVs from Ditto #1 to pass down to an Eevee.

So is the next step to breed an Eevee with those 4 IVs against Ditto #2 to try to get a fifth (or sixth?) IV right? Or would I need a power item to actually ensure at least 5 31 IVs on offspring in this step or will just waiting on RNG be enough? (Assuming I only care about passing IVs down right now). I'm not sure since I can assume Destiny Knot means I always pass 5 random IVs from the Ditto and I always get minimum 3 31s and say possibly a fourth from the Eevee, without a Power item to lock in an IV, or am I misunderstanding how it works?

The Destiny Knot passes down five random IVs from both parents. Breed Eevee and the second Ditto together and replace the Eevee in the daycare once you breed an Eevee with five IVs to maximize your chances of passing down what you want.

You can use a Power Item to guarantee one stat is always passed down, but the non-Destiny Knot parent is usually used with an Everstone to pass down Natures.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just can't get out of beginner rank 3 lol. How do you take part in the competition? I want 50 BP.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So, my Pokedex is kindly asking me to find a Lapras on Route 9, but all I can find there is cold, cold water. And Wailmer.

Any pointers on how to find it?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

There's going to be event dens overwriting various dens at random for much of the year

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Down to the last ~50 Pokemon needed to complete the dex. Most of them are ones found in Shield though so Ill need to trade for them I guess

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah the game definitely craps out at the end 1/4th but i guess that's life, still had a lot of fun

will see if i feel like filling the pokedex, still kind of want to get a shiny wooloo

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I finally beat the main game and here's how I ended up.
ELU6hTyU8AEzmcM

A glacial pace compared to most people here (how many weeks has it been?). 70 hours, but 236 Pokemon registered. I was also rotating with about 14 different Pokemon, which gave me a nice variety to try out and easily swap in due to the new box system in the game.
So there isn't a traditional Elite 4, but I like what they did. It's kind of weird to have the "bad guy plot and legendary" happen literally before the final battle, but it was a really hype part. Also strange that they don't have you catch the box legendary in the story! Wow!
And that final battle with Leon though, I have to say it was tough. I was a bit underleveled at about level 57-61. But after a few attempts and some dumb luck, I made it through with everyone at least at level 60.

The Pokemon I liked the most were Centiskorch, Drednaw, and Sirfetch'd. Centiskorch's typing is just really fun. Drednaw is so versatile and surprisingly fast and tanky. And Sirfetch'd is a monster with power. It could destroy almost anything with its high attack state. Ultimately kind of useless in the final battle though unfortunately.

So now that I've reached the postgame, what's there to do? I found the Charmander and Type:Null and Beast Ball. What else has unlocked before I start the egg hatching grind? I guess I could fill out the Pokedex too.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just did the seventh and eighth gyms today, and WOW this game is losing steam it never even had to begin with. The whole game so far has felt like I'm just playing an NPC while the story happens off-screen for Hop, Sonia and Leon to worry about, but I don't even know what's going on now. Walking into Spikemuth expecting, y'know, a town, and finding out that it's actually a town, the evil Team base and the Gym rolled into one hallway, and the 'Challenge' is just walking to the right, and btw there's no Dynamaxing... I thought that was a pretty big disappointment until the eighth Gym came around and showed me the real meaning of the word :P

I don't know what to expect from the endgame, but I feel like barring some kind of miracle blowout spectacle, this is easily the worst mainline Pokemon Gen for me. There are some really nice QOL improvements, and some of the towns look lovely, but, man, what a step backwards for the series. They've just gutted so much of what I like about Pokemon.

Oct 26, 2017
Grimmsnarl with Sucker Punch or Bisharp with Sucker Punch.

edit: so we only get 50 BP for taking part in the competition?

Sub/Disable Dragapult beats this.
Sub/TWave Grimmsnarl should handle more Dragapult sets I think, provided Dragapult doesn't get a free turn to Sub, but you still need to watch out for DD sets with Infiltrator and Steel Wing.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday, i learned G-Max Pokemon can appear in lvl 30 raids (bear with me, didn't follow that stuff). And as of yesterday, i have two G-Max Snorlax and one G-Max Dreadnaw ... neat.
The second of those G-Max Snorlax is even great in terms of ability and nature with Thick Fat and Adamant. The other has a less useful nature (don't remember atm) and the Hidden Ability Gluttony.

I'll ask my kids if one of them wants one of those big chunky boys, if not i could share it with one of you if there's interest. ^^

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
They spawn in multiple places on the water in the wild area. The lake of outrage for example has a fixed spawn I think.
According to Serebii, they can be found in the Wild Area, specifically: Lake of Outrage, North Lake Miloch and West Lake Axewell. The spawns may be weather dependent.
Click the details bit next to locations in my dex and it provides more details :)

Thank you all.

Serebii on your page, what does "Strong" mean in the Route 2 line with a "-%" change of appearing?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I found a square shiny Skutank and was like "okay I have 100 ultra balls and high level Pokemon in my team, I'm ready for this, bitch". Then it proceeded to use memento and killed itself.

Oh, okay.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
All this "1% encounter chance in this particular patch of grass during this particular weather" stuff is such a downer. Finding new guys is one of my greatest joys in a new Pokemon game, and I think there are like ten new Pokemon I've wanted to use so far that I've gone looking for and just had no idea how to get. It forces me to go to Serebii or Bulba, which I don't want to use because I'm trying not to spoil myself on new guys, and then I see the encounter rate and it's just like... why?

Like, I see a sick new Elephant guy and I want one, and I just straight up have no idea how to get one just using in-game resources. I just have to hope I battle a trainer who has one so I can get it in my Pokedex and look up the area, but it obviously won't tell me which patch of grass or what the encounter rate is going to be, so I just have to go to what seems like the right spot and... wander around. Hope for the best. And then, twenty minutes later I find nothing and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Wrong patch of grass? Do I have to 'reset' the Wild Area or something, and is that even a thing? Am I in the right spot but the wrong time? Is it just a really low encounter rate? I end up having to go to Serebii anyway and it turns out, yeah, 1% chance. Slightly higher during a particular weather phenomenon. Oh, you wanted the Elephant? Of course you want the Elephant. Have fun grinding it out.

And of course there's no GTS, and trading is behind a paywall now anyway so I couldn't do it even if it was there, so, like, fuck me. I play these games for the new Pokemon and after eight gyms I'm still using a team of guys I don't really like because newcomers are so few and far between and just irritatingly hard to find.

Last edited:

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I have a big problem with this game. Now that the shininess of having a new pokemon game and my denial has worn off, I'm really disappointed at how bland this game was. I finished the main story and I don't remember doing anything of note and the post game isn't any better. I really hope gamefreak are working on DLC. It's gonna be 2020. There's no reason not to improve the base game. No man's sky did it, they can do it too. I'm gonna give the game a break. I don't hate it but if I keep playing it as is, I might get to that point.

Masamist

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Hmm...trying to gauge the the usefulness of it...
The best use of the cursor glitch are not with the egg exploit but these one:

Use a rare candy on a pokemon lv 99 to give another the biggest amount of experience (68116 in this example)

Evolve pokemon without consuming the held items

Change gender of a pokemon when evolving (only for pokemon that have alternative gender form):
Female Espurr evolving into a male Meowstic here:

It becomes particularly interesting if you have, let's say, a shiny or perfect IV male Salandit or Combee.
But you can't evolve them because the gender-lock evolution.
But using another female of the same species, you can trick the game to apply the evolution on the male one, avoiding the gender check
proof of concept, on a male salandit egg hatching in a salazzle
https://twitter.com/wwwwwwzx/status/1203262872890953730

Salazzle 'd have the proper gender, you never get a male one.
But in other case you can get "impossible" pokemon.
A toxel with Adamant nature should have evolved into the Amped form (the yellow one)
614.jpg

Or the Gigamax Eevee you can get with a save file from Let's go eevee, is normally incapable to evolve, but with this trick you can evolve it into Espeon (or Umbreon or Silveon, but not the other eevolution that uses stones, instead of levelling up).
It will still have its gigamax icon.
609.jpg

But you can't apply other evolution on a pokemon of different species, the game just crash.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So I found a square shiny Skutank and was like "okay I have 100 ultra balls and high level Pokemon in my team, I'm ready for this, bitch". Then it proceeded to use memento and killed itself.

Oh, okay.

First thing you do when in an encouter with a shiny: Throw a Quick Ball.

General rule: Always have some Quick Balls with you! ^^ (And Dusk Balls!)

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Use a rare candy on a pokemon lv 99 to give another the biggest amount of experience (68116 in this example)

Change gender of a pokemon when evolving (only for pokemon that have alternative gender form):

It becomes particularly interesting if you have, let's say, a shiny or perfect IV male Salandit or Combee.
But using another female of the same species, you can trick the game to apply the evolution on the male one, avoiding the gender check

A toxel with Adamant nature should have evolved into the Amped form (the yellow one)
614.jpg

Or the Gigamax Eevee you can get with a save file from Let's go eevee, is normally incapable to evolve, but with this trick you can evolve it into Espeon (or Umbreon or Silveon, but not the other eevolution that uses stones, instead of levelling up).
609.jpg

But you can't apply other evolution on a pokemon of different species, the game just crash.
Now this is podracing.

What happens when you Dynamax that Eevee btw?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Like, I see a sick new Elephant guy and I want one, and I just straight up have no idea how to get one just using in-game resources. I just have to hope I battle a trainer who has one so I can get it in my Pokedex and look up the area, but it obviously won't tell me which patch of grass or what the encounter rate is going to be, so I just have to go to what seems like the right spot and... wander around.

I get what you're saying, but there are ways to improve your chances sometimes.

In the particular example of the new Elephant, I can tell you how I got it : the first page of the Pokédex gives you a list of Pokémon to catch next (between 1 and 3).
Each time you complete a page, a new selection of target Pokémon is given to you.

The good thing about this?
The list of Pokémon have improved chances of appearing.

So when the Pokedex told me to find the Elephant, I started seeing it *a lot* in the Wild Area.

So my advice is to start doing those Pokédex missions until it tells you to find something you really want. It should get easier from there.

Dec 7, 2017
80hrs and 56 minutes and I've got a completed Dex!
Thank you especially to R_N for helping me get so many of the sword exclusives!

Drampa took me the longest time to get motherhecker just refused to spawn

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of my best plays in the competition was beating a Crawdaunt with Corsola.

I started with Corsola and they realized they weren't going to be able to do much with the pokemon they had, so they switched to Crawdaunt.
I use Stealth Rock, they use Knock Off to remove my Eviolite, this nearly kills Corsola
I use Strength Sap, but they go first and use Swords Dance. I get fully healed.
they use swords dance again, I use Will-O-Wisp
They use swords dance again and I use Hex
At this point they have maxed out attack so I Dynamaxed Corsola and used Max Guard, blocking their next knock off
They attack but Corsola still has a bit of HP left so I then use Max Phantasm to kill Crawdaunt who has been slowly whittled down by Burn.

A whole lot of set up to just be taken down like that lol

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of my best plays in the competition was beating a Crawdaunt with Corsola.

I started with Corsola and they realized they weren't going to be able to do much with the pokemon they had, so they switched to Crawdaunt.
I use Stealth Rock, they use Knock Off to remove my Eviolite, this nearly kills Corsola
I use Strength Sap, but they go first and use Swords Dance. I get fully healed.
they use swords dance again, I use Will-O-Wisp
They use swords dance again and I use Hex
At this point they have maxed out attack so I Dynamaxed Corsola and used Max Guard, blocking their next knock off
They attack but Corsola still has a bit of HP left so I then use Max Phantasm to kill Crawdaunt who has been slowly whittled down by Burn.

A whole lot of set up to just be taken down like that lol
Corsola is bloody evil

Oct 27, 2017

614.jpg

609.jpg

Would these pokemon pass the legality checks for like trading and stuff?

Deleted member 60992

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Sub/Disable Dragapult beats this.
Sub/TWave Grimmsnarl should handle more Dragapult sets I think, provided Dragapult doesn't get a free turn to Sub, but you still need to watch out for DD sets with Infiltrator and Steel Wing.

I haven't ran into this set yet and this build wouldn't bother me at all. I run a Dragapult and it has shit bulk and dies as soon as someone sneezes on it. If I see someone running a Sub Dragapult I know chances are they're not running a max speed one and I'll just send in my Dragapult and take it out with one Dragon Darts.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having beaten the game I can say that Drednaw and Copperahjah are the highlights of my in-game team.

Sandaconda was surprisingly useful at points too, and if you can get off Calm Mind Orbeetle can wipe the floor with folks. Too bad there isn't too many Gyms where it has the advantage.

Rillaboom was alright. Nothing too special, pretty weak till the end. Basically one trick for me with Drum Beat as his only decent attack.

Grapploct was the weakest...didn't get anything for him till around the end and basically all he had for me was Revenge. It hit hard but his only move always going last meant he died a lot. Finally got Ice Punch and Waterfall at the end but he still didn't contribute much to the final fights.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Question about egg moves: for the moves to transfer you need to keep 2 members of the same family together, but do they need to be the same evolutionary stage? I'm trying to pass Guard Split from my Shelmet to Accelgor and there is no way. Accelgor has 1 spot free and it's simply not working.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I pitched a question a couple of weeks ago and didn't get any response so I'll try again just in case.

For raid Pokemon that can have a hidden ability in a given den, do we know the odds of that happening yet?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question about egg moves: for the moves to transfer you need to keep 2 members of the same family together, but do they need to be the same evolutionary stage? I'm trying to pass Guard Split from my Shelmet to Accelgor and there is no way. Accelgor has 1 spot free and it's simply not working.
Yeah I believe Serebii says same species. I assume that also means Farfetch'd and G Farfetch'd don't count either.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, final evolutions really can change opinions regarding starters.
I liked Sobble the most at reveal but, once final evolutions became known, I immediatly switched to Grookey because Rillaboom really looks amazing, unlike Inteleon which is just ok and Cinderace which is exactly how I expected it to be (horrible).

I'm also kinda amused that I immediatly guessed the theme the starters had going for them (drummer/football/spy) since reveal but also kind of sad that they all ended up being boring pure types.
To this day I still think that the only one who really justifies the choice is Cinderace, Rillaboom deserved to be Grass/Normal to play on the "sound" theme (and stab Boomburst!) and Inteleon would have been more interesting as Water/Ghost (because you know, spy, silence, "Spectre" and all that) but oh well I guess we have to live with what we received.

I really hope they wont make us wait too long for their Hidden Abilities, Rillaboom will probably become pretty strong just like what happened when Incineroar received its HA, Cinderace will, of course, shine even more considering the huge movepool it has.
Inteleon will be better aswell I guess but in the end it is probably the unluckiest of this generation's trio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.