• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Can you fill up the Shield dex without trading, or will I need to trade to see some things?

Trading will be required. Here's a list of the Pokemon/forms exclusive to each version.

---

I'm currently awaiting the release of Home to start a Sword playthrough.
I've prepped a shiny Ponyta to use in the playthrough and I hope to also have a shiny HA Cufant by the time Home is available. I only hatched a shiny non-HA Cufant so far...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Trading will be required. Here's a list of the Pokemon/forms exclusive to each version.

---

I'm currently awaiting the release of Home to start a Sword playthrough.
I've prepped a shiny Ponyta to use in the playthrough and I hope to also have a shiny HA Cufant by the time Home is available. I only hatched a shiny non-HA Cufant so far...

Right, OK.
There are a few of those that I've seen at least, but I'm still missing a few. I did see Flapple and the big swirly marshmallow one from Gen VI in a raid stamp, bit like 99% of them, I couldn't join it.

Do I need a full caught Dex/living Dex for the charm?

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Damn I reached the end of the campaign and totally forgot about Poké Jobs, how much have I been missing?

Also I'm kind of on the fence about getting an online subscription... How worth it is it for this game alone (tetris 99 would be a plus I guess) for the endgame? I've thought about finishing the campaing and see if I feel like going for the Dex completion and whatnot (competitive play doesn't really attract me).

Oct 26, 2017
Right, OK.
There are a few of those that I've seen at least, but I'm still missing a few. I did see Flapple and the big swirly marshmallow one from Gen VI in a raid stamp, bit like 99% of them, I couldn't join it.

Do I need a full caught Dex/living Dex for the charm?

Every Pokemon needs to be registered as caught in the dex, so you need to have owned one at some point. You do not need a living dex.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The encounter method is a bit "broken" at the moment. The increased odds aren't guaranteed but only happen 3% of the time, so you have a 3% chance of having a 1 in 512 chance, else you have a 1 in 1365.3 chance.

That sounds awful. Was this unearthed in the datamine? Seems like a huge oversight if it's not been fixed yet. Especially considering the article Pokémon uploaded themselves. Why would it only activate 3% of the time? 🤔

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Wait, if I breed a Pokemon with 6 perfect IVs and its the wrong nature I can use a mint and the stats will level up in the correct "new" nature way despite the old nature still being displayed in the in the stats screen?

Can I now safely EV train and level my Pokemon up after using the mint?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, if I breed a Pokemon with 6 perfect IVs and its the wrong nature I can use a mint and the stats will level up in the correct "new" nature way despite the old nature still being displayed in the in the stats screen?

Can I now safely EV train and level my Pokemon up after using the mint?
Yes.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
EOBiWHeUUAEX-kx.jpg

Got the shiny Dhelmise. I haven't been playing much either, so I'm surprised it happened already.
Oh that's sick. That's actually a really good colour scheme for it.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
So this morning I was doing Surpise Trades, sending out Sobbles hoping for something I didn't have in my pokedex, and after a bunch of trades I got this:

91zhLiN.jpg

ua2RTaN.jpg

It's 100% a cheat pokemon right? lol Can I still use it or will I get banned though. It's literally the first shiny I ever found (excluding red Gyarados).

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So this morning I was doing Surpise Trades, sending out Sobbles hoping for something I didn't have in my pokedex, and after a bunch of trades I got this:

91zhLiN.jpg

ua2RTaN.jpg

It's 100% a cheat pokemon right? lol Can I still use it or will I get banned though. It's literally the first shiny I ever found (excluding red Gyarados).
probably an extra from the shiny raid exploit

where does it say it was caught

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Trick Room will be everywhere since Indeedee and Hatterene are among the best in the current format.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Timid nature, hatched from an egg on Bridge Field, no ribbons, moves are Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, Dragon Pulse, Nasty Plot, ability is Inner Focus
hmm that's interesting then. sound pretty legit based off that. they either have a better one and felt like getting rid of this one or maybe they accidentally surprise traded it.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
hmm that's interesting then. sound pretty legit based off that. they either have a better one and felt like getting rid of this one or maybe they accidentally surprise traded it.
How can they have a better one when this literally has perfect IVs in everything? hahaha I though about a mistake too, maybe that's it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If trick room would be the standard, would it be worth skipping on a trick room user, considering 99% of teams will set it up for you?
a counter to trick room is to use trick room to reverse changes, so not necessarily

How can they have a better one when this literally has perfect IVs in everything? hahaha I though about a mistake too, maybe that's it.
Since it's a special set Lucario, a better one would have 0 IVs in attack

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought that the hight the IVs the better your stats?
normally yeah but it's build is based around it's special attack, it doesn't need good IVs in attack. the less ivs in attack the better, cause if it gets confused, it will do less damage to itself

Highly likely it's hacked. You can make a fully legit looking pokemon easily. It's legal though, so you won't get banned.
If it was hacked they would have just given it 31 IVs in special defense instead of wasting a bottle cap and hyper training it, and given it 0 IVs in attack

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you think the Pokémon fanbase is toxic, take a few minutes to explore other fanbases that experience public meltdowns. Today's the perfect day to see how much worse it could be.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Which mons are people generally using to set TR? Hatterene? I'm trying out Runerigus since it seems bulky enough.

Hatterene in combo Follow Me Indeedee-F was the most common sight in the early Sword & Shield meta, followed by Mimikyu. Then everyone started adding Duraludon to their teams to shut that down, leading to a rise in usage of Oranguru, Gothitelle, Dusclops, Bronzong and Chandelure (the latter strictly as TR-resetter). Runerigus has shown up, too, on occassion.

With Galar Newcomers deleting all of the recently favored setters, I expect Hateedee to get another day in the sun, so hold onto your Duraludon or make plans to counter it, depending on what side of the trick room war you stand.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'm completely burnt out on the game. Gonna give it a long break and return once the dlc hits

Oct 27, 2017
Hatterene in combo Follow Me Indeedee-F was the most common sight in the early Sword & Shield meta, followed by Mimikyu. Then everyone started adding Duraludon to their teams to shut that down, leading to a rise in usage of Oranguru, Gothitelle, Dusclops, Bronzong and Chandelure (the latter strictly as TR-resetter). Runerigus has shown up, too, on occassion.

With Galar Newcomers deleting all of the recently favored setters, I expect Hateedee to get another day in the sun, so hold onto your Duraludon or make plans to counter it, depending on what side of the trick room war you stand.

I see, that's good to know.

Been trying out my team in ranked (just starting out) and I'm at a 4W 2L so far. Still at the lower ranks so I'm sure I'll lose more later, but so far the biggest threats have been special attackers with wise/choise specs, so now I'm thinking of fitting a Grimmsnarl in there for screens.

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope that the GTS is not locked behind Pokemon Home. Having to look up codes to trade specific pokemon is a pain. It's so frustrating that it's missing from Sword/Shield right now.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
So, I just master balled a Corphish by mistake, last time I saved was a few hours ago and in the mean time I caught and evolved a bunch of pokemons I need to complete the dex (Corphish beign one of them).

On one hand, I really like Corphish. On the other, I wanted to keep my master ball :\

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
So I finally caught a second Antique Sinistea, after 3000 years. But, I still can't get the Chipped Pot to evolve it T__T

I've been checking, literally, ever day with that man at the store, and he never sells it to me. The same items keep coming and coming. Is there any kinda of trick or exploit to make him sell me the Chipped Pot?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've been doing Battle Tower for a bit. And at least I'm winning! My scrappy, flawed team seems to be working okay, so that's reassuring. Especially this stalling Mimikyu I've got. In doubles especially, nobody was able to defeat it and I made it to Great Ball tier. Makes me want to see how a strat that forces switches outs would fare if I run Curse, Yawn, and Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes. There's so much potential!

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, I just master balled a Corphish by mistake, last time I saved was a few hours ago and in the mean time I caught and evolved a bunch of pokemons I need to complete the dex (Corphish beign one of them).

On one hand, I really like Corphish. On the other, I wanted to keep my master ball :\
can always get another one from the lotto. course that is going to be pretty luck based. better surprise trade like crazy for trainer ids.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the official setup is pretty cool: tabletop mode with connected pro controllers and using spectator mode (which really improves watchability)

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
I finally found a Gigantamax Orbeetle raid without using the date exploit.

Would anyone be interested if I hosted it a few times? It's not going to be shiny but its still rare. This would be in about 4 hours or so.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
So I'm watching a bit of the pokemon SwSh that's going on right now, there's this guy with a full team of shinies... Am I supposed to believe they're not hacked?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
How hard is the single player Battle Tower at its highest rank? Do you need to do some pretty heavy breeding/IV/EV training to get through it all? My daughter started it yesterday on Rank 1 and just blew by most of the people using the two legendaries.

If you're able to finish ALL of the Battle Tower, does that team translate pretty well to being able to be competitive online against randos? Or are you still going to get absolutely destroyed?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing Battle Tower for a bit. And at least I'm winning! My scrappy, flawed team seems to be working okay, so that's reassuring. Especially this stalling Mimikyu I've got. In doubles especially, nobody was able to defeat it and I made it to Great Ball tier. Makes me want to see how a strat that forces switches outs would fare if I run Curse, Yawn, and Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes. There's so much potential!
If you lose in Battle Tower do you get to rematch against the same trainer? Or is it random every time even after loses?

It seems hard to strategize if you're getting random trainers after a loss? Otherwise are you just using the same 4 Pokemon in every battle, since you don't get an opponet preview or anything?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
So I'm watching a bit of the pokemon SwSh that's going on right now, there's this guy with a full team of shinies... Am I supposed to believe they're not hacked?
Full shiny teams are plausible enough for me to believe they are legit , if they are 6iv with HA though.... then I doubt its legitimacy

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is the single player Battle Tower at its highest rank? Do you need to do some pretty heavy breeding/IV/EV training to get through it all? My daughter started it yesterday on Rank 1 and just blew by most of the people using the two legendaries.

If you're able to finish ALL of the Battle Tower, does that team translate pretty well to being able to be competitive online against randos? Or are you still going to get absolutely destroyed?
Battle Tower isn't that hard. A team full of legendaries or strong Pokemon can roll through BT. You can use a BS team for BT, but a BT team might not necessarily be good in BS.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It seems hard to strategize if you're getting random trainers after a loss? Otherwise are you just using the same 4 Pokemon in every battle, since you don't get an opponet preview or anything?

This is the main difference between Battle Tower and Ranked, besides the competition online being tougher than against the AI. In Ranked you get a preview of your opponent's team and then can pick your own three or four pokemon that you think match up well. In Battle Tower you just bring the same overall strongest set of pokemon everytime.

Another big difference is that, with one exception, you are the only party dynamaxing in Battle Tower, which gives you a huge edge that is gone in Online Ranked where foes will make use of the same tool.

The in-game rentals are a pretty good hint to the investment required. The featured pokemon have a strategy and solid move and item choices to facilitate that strategy, but no care was spent on nature and EV distribution. They're good enough to get you through Battle Tower, but not good enough to see much success in Ranked without further optimization.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full shiny teams are plausible enough for me to believe they are legit , if they are 6iv with HA though.... then I doubt its legitimacy
what made it extra funny was back in the 3DS era, the screens shown stuff like the number of eggs hatched. so many people with perfect shinies and 0 eggs hatched