• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
it really depends on what yall liked out of pokemon. sounds like it was the more rpg aspects of the series rather than the pokemon-ing (catching/battling/raising). Sword and Shield is just not a good rpg by any stretch
I feel like this is a pretty big assumption based on the info provided lol. All we know is that they played ~4 hours.

But it's no different than older pokemon games, that why I don't understand our lack of "engagement".
Is there anything you didn't like about the games that you liked in previous entries?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
But it's no different than older pokemon games, that why I don't understand our lack of "engagement".
The games aren't even that engaging to begin with.
The game can be summed up with:
Go to town
Cut scene
Battle Gym
Walk in a mostly straight path to the next gym
Go back to step 1

Repeat for 10 hours

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

I've been in a similar boat to you in Gen 6 to the point I outright skipped Gen 7 and had zero faith in Gen 8 until I gave it a try and found that I enjoyed it a fair bit. I don't really have an answer, more of a presumption. I presume the formula just gets utterly stale to people like you and I eventually unless we're particularly in the mood for a Pokemon experience. I've sat down and thought about why this is the case recently and figured these were my two takes as to why I've found Pokemon stale until recently:

• The battle system drags with the need to describe everything in text. There should be an option for experienced players to get a more streamlined experience with less text narration
  • Exploration hasn't (permanently) changed since Gen I up until they added overworld Pokemon this gen and in some ways, it's regressed. For example, we don't really have 'dungeons' anymore like Mt. Moon or the Seafoam Islands. Then when Game Freak adds interesting exploration gimmicks such as Diving in R/S/E, the Underground in Gen IV, or new HM abilities like Whirlpool, they generally don't last past that generation and poof, they're gone instead of building on them like Diving/the Underground or improving them like HMs. The solution to everything but the most fundamental(surfing and flying) got removed outright instead of being used in some form of creative manner. I'm not necessarily against that, but look at Gen I and look at Gen VI(my personal baggage gen). At the end of the day, what did we gain in all this time in overworld exploration, really? I've got nothing. Game Freak hasn't built up the exploration aspects of Pokemon, they've torn them down until recently. I think that's why I've had such a positive reception to Sword/Shield compared to X/Y

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
By the way, is it just me or the game seems very empty? Like too many of towns look huge but basically have a Pokemon Center, a haircut place, a clothing place, and maybe one of those cafes with a battle that you can actually go inside (other than the gyms)? Like the houses don't even have hidden stuff inside trash cans anymore lol or even anything to interact with outside of the TV, the occasional pokemon or person in there. Plus I think every town in this game that you see has a gym... which means there are 9 (if you include the starting area)? I like the Pokemon being visible on the world map, and the Wild Area can be interesting, but that's mostly it. I actually did find Dynamaxing interesting, and I guess I found this game a bit harder than previous ones (I made sure my pokemon didn't exceed the level of the gym leaders however and just trained a lot of them).

I think part of it is that Team Yell isn't really evil, and the 7th town literally had nothing outside of the Pokemon center and the gym. Like most of the previous games had a bigger area where you had to fight some antagonists. I guess there was Rose Tower, but it seemed even less fleshed out than before.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
Any tips on catching Shinies from Dens? I'm 0 for 5 so far.

0 for 6. 🥺 Just missed out on Shiny Charizard and Machamp.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh Shiny Cursola Nest Ball get! Wooo!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips on catching Shinies from Dens? I'm 0 for 5 so far.

0 for 6. 🥺 Just missed out on Shiny Charizard and Machamp.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh Shiny Cursola Nest Ball get! Wooo!

If you're joining other's raids for this the only thing you can do is throw balls with the highest catch rate, which would be Repeat Balls if you have the mon in question registered already.
If you're RNG abusing yourself save after locking into the desired shiny and try until it gets in.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So how did Yamask's odd evolution method get figured out? Were there any clues in-game that I missed?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If you're joining other's raids for this the only thing you can do is throw balls with the highest catch rate, which would be Repeat Balls if you have the mon in question registered already.
If you're RNG abusing yourself save after locking into the desired shiny and try until it gets in.

What do you mean desired shiny? Can you for example spawn a gmax charizard and if it is not shiny quit out of the raid and try again? Or is this just if the pokemon is shiny already and you don't catch it?

Right now I am grinding for a shiny gmax charizard and I haven't even gotten one gmax charizard to spawn (and the few times I see them on other people's raids they are either link code locked or already full). So if I can rng abuse it, I'd totally do so if I can change it from a reg. gmax charizard to a shiny one. It's hard enough finding a gmax charizard (I have hatched a shiny charizard already and still not seen one gmax charizard).

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean desired shiny? Can you for example spawn a gmax charizard and if it is not shiny quit out of the raid and try again? Or is this just if the pokemon is shiny already and you don't catch it?

Right now I am grinding for a shiny gmax charizard and I haven't even gotten one gmax charizard to spawn (and the few times I see them on other people's raids they are either link code locked or already full). So if I can rng abuse it, I'd totally do so if I can change it from a reg. gmax charizard to a shiny one. It's hard enough finding a gmax charizard (I have hatched a shiny charizard already and still not seen one gmax charizard).

It's kinda the opposite. Due to the way the RNG works, if you save in front of a den the properties of the next 3 Pokemon are all locked, but from the 4th one onward the species is not locked but the other properties are. This includes shinyness. So if you are saved in front of a den that will produce a shiny in 4 slots you can reset until you get the right Pokemon to spawn in that slot.
It's a bit complicated for me to explain in full so please refer to this guide for more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shinyraids...an_now_shiny_hunt_non_promotional_gmaxs_with/

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It's kinda the opposite. Due to the way the RNG works, if you save in front of a den the properties of the next 3 Pokemon are all locked, but from the 4th one onward the species is not locked but the other properties are. This includes shinyness. So if you are saved in front of a den that will produce a shiny in 4 slots you can reset until you get the right Pokemon to spawn in that slot.
It's a bit complicated for me to explain in full so please refer to this guide for more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shinyraids...an_now_shiny_hunt_non_promotional_gmaxs_with/

I tried this method and I just kept getting the exact same raid over and over again (like I would close the game mid raid and change the date and open it again). Are you sure the developers didn't fix this exploit? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this method and I just kept getting the exact same raid over and over again (like I would close the game mid raid and change the date and open it again). Are you sure the developers didn't fix this exploit? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.
In order to advance the date so the game recognizes it as a new day so the den advances, you either need to invite people first then while in the lobby change the date while the game is still running or use the Link Battle variant

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You do a battle after you get the purple beam and date advance one day at a time, until you get to the shiny frame.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
For shiny raids, all I've done is subscribe to the shiny raids Reddit and join anyone who is hosting at the moment. That's how I managed to get a shiny GMax Charizard. Took me three tries to get it.

I've tried to get a Colossal, but it wouldn't stay in the ball.

I also haven't even beat the main storyline. I'm still trying to catch a timid Eternatus, with no luck. Been resetting for days and the fact that I have to watch all these cutscenes and battle it isn't helping. 😭

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
For shiny raids, all I've done is subscribe to the shiny raids Reddit and join anyone who is hosting at the moment. That's how I managed to get a shiny GMax Charizard. Took me three tries to get it.

I've tried to get a Colossal, but it wouldn't stay in the ball.

I also haven't even beat the main storyline. I'm still trying to catch a timid Eternatus, with no luck. Been resetting for days and the fact that I have to watch all these cutscenes and battle it isn't helping. 😭
Timid Mints are only 50 BP, though if its the aesthetics of a Timid Eternatus you want then more power to you.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Timid Mints are only 50 BP, though if its the aesthetics of a Timid Eternatus you want then more power to you.

There is different aesthetics for personalities? Yeah... I'm a bit of a pokemon newbie. If you don't count let's go (cause it's really a redo of blue and red), silver and gold were the last pokemon I played (and I didn't play them much, I think I played blue more).

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
There is different aesthetics for personalities? Yeah... I'm a bit of a pokemon newbie. If you don't count let's go (cause it's really a redo of blue and red), silver and gold were the last pokemon I played (and I didn't play them much, I think I played blue more).
No, other than it saying Timid on the stat screen, which is the aesthetic aspect I was referring to. Mints just change the stat allocation of a nature, but not what it actually says on the stat screen.

(And technically Toxtricity has two different forms that depends on its nature).

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
So is surprise trade still unsafe? I haven't engaged. But the latent gambler in me misses it lol

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we able to put some non-Galar Pokémon in the game now via Home? Is there a list of new Pokémon from the last patch or something? I was able to drop Necrozma in there.

Edit: Nevermind, did some googling and found the list of 35. That's cool!

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Have they paused with the codes? Thought I already missed some in the last few days but there wasn't anything new. 😅

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So this has happened twice now.

I've joined a random raid with my shiny Pokemon and what has ended up happening is that the fellow raid members are also using shiny Pokemon, and the actual raid Pokemon turned to be a shiny.

Most likely just co-incidence or some person outsourcing the raid ID to as many people as possible before completing it?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I just had a fantastic idea today with Pokemon Home.
What if we, regularly, doing community group trades, with a specific topic like, Monday is Legends day where everyone has to join with a Legendary to randomly get an other Legendary, or a day with the topic starter Pokemon, or a day with just Shinies, or a day with just IV 6 Pokemon. The ideas are endless.
Could be pretty fun. (And I like the random, surprise loot box grab bag factor of it 😙)
Would there be interest in planned group trades?

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to catch Gigantamax Appletun anymore? I have been grinding out raid dens for the past two weeks and I haven't encountered a single one.

Are there any spawn rates online that keep updated with the wild area promotions?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to catch Gigantamax Appletun anymore? I have been grinding out raid dens for the past two weeks and I haven't encountered a single one.

Are there any spawn rates online that keep updated with the wild area promotions?
Appletun ended at the beginning of the month. Toxtricity, Grimmsnarl, Hatterene, Orbeetle and Kingler were rotated in. You'll have to find someone to trade with or get lucky with its spawn for now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wheres my gmax Typlosion
Gen 2: *exists*

Game Freak:
anigif_sub-buzz-11354-1543428630-7.gif

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Appletun ended at the beginning of the month. Toxtricity, Grimmsnarl, Hatterene, Orbeetle and Kingler were rotated in. You'll have to find someone to trade with or get lucky with its spawn for now.
Oh, I didn't know they were all rotated in. They only talked about Toxtricity. I'm still missing two from that list then.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What is happening. I've gotten 3 shinies today.

Gmax Zard
Polteageist
Corsola-Galar

EDIT: Now a shiny Leafeon

Is someone hacking the online raid play to have shinies all the time for them or something

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Quick question. A few days ago I received a Scorbunny carrying an obviously hacked Master BalI, forgot to release it and when I found a shiny G-Max Grimmsnarl I used the Master Ball as I was desperate for it. Will I have any trouble using this Pokémon in online battles? Is it considered hacked?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. A few days ago I received a Scorbunny carrying an obviously hacked Master BalI, forgot to release it and when I found a shiny G-Max Grimmsnarl I used the Master Ball as I was desperate for it. Will I have any trouble using this Pokémon in online battles? Is it considered hacked?
No to both.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Need help on a decision to rebuy the game or not
Long story short I completed the main story and sold the game right after as I was in between exams

so I haven't touched the post game story/raids/BT/completed the Pokédex whatsoever

I'm looking for a game that will last me until AC drops in late March and was debating between picking this up again to experience all the post game content I mentioned or the entire ace attorney series

is the game worth a rebuy for pretty much all the post game content?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
is the game worth a rebuy for pretty much all the post game content

Post game isn't really all that much, to be honest. Filling the Dex will take a bit of time, but all you really have to do is catch the box legendary, and you have a battle tower.
If you enjoy the game, you could definitely pad it out to March though.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I got into Sword recently and am nearly finished with the post story quest. I'm looking at the next milestone, which would be getting the dex filled out. I guess I just am unsure on how to get rare stuff that I need to trade for, more specifically things like Zacian / Zamazenta? Is it even likely to keep a living dex? Or do most people (that don't buy a copy of each) just fill the dex out and settle on one or the other?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I got into Sword recently and am nearly finished with the post story quest. I'm looking at the next milestone, which would be getting the dex filled out. I guess I just am unsure on how to get rare stuff that I need to trade for, more specifically things like Zacian / Zamazenta? Is it even likely to keep a living dex? Or do most people (that don't buy a copy of each) just fill the dex out and settle on one or the other?

A lot of people here will just use the trading thread to get Dex entries for the box legendaries for example.
I can't really imagine many people giving up their legendary for something random, but you only really need their Dex entry: living Dex is optional.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people here will just use the trading thread to get Dex entries for the box legendaries for example.
I can't really imagine many people giving up their legendary for something random, but you only really need their Dex entry: living Dex is optional.

Thanks. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but assumed it was. There's no real reason for me to actually want to keep a living dex so it's no big deal.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
What is happening. I've gotten 3 shinies today.

Gmax Zard
Polteageist
Corsola-Galar

EDIT: Now a shiny Leafeon

Is someone hacking the online raid play to have shinies all the time for them or something

Lmao no, what you're seeing is legit raids being shared through RNG abuse. I think someone mentioned it in the past two pages. Basically, they exploit the daily raid changes and keep checking a den with a wishing star, until they get their desired shiny. Then, they share the raid with friends or other communities through discord, Reddit, or twitch.

I'm currently following a few discord communities to be able to get certain GMax Shinies I want. So far I've gotten Charizard and Hatterene, but that damn Gengar keeps eluding me. I've tried so many times but it won't stay in the damn ball. 😤