• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
If I have yet to buy this game, and want to.. is it ok to get the game now and enjoy the DLC in June or will the DLC be, like, interwoven into the current story in any way that it would make it a better experience to play it fresh in June?
Don't buy the game yet or at least don't download the update.
The last one removed most name tags in the game so you might have trouble knowing who's talking.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whats the reset trick?

Essentially once you spawn a beam via Wishing Piece (purple or red, though when looking for Charizard it has to be the purple beam for the "rare" spawn pool), you can go to "Invite Others" for the raid (while offline), press HOME, and change the date on your Switch to be one day ahead. Go back to the game, end the "search" for other players, then click the raid den again. You will get free watts every time, and it changes the spawned Pokemon. Do this for as many "days" as it takes to spawn Charizard.

The rates are really, really low, so even with this trick it can take quite a few resets, but it isn't nearly as time-consuming as trying to hope for the best the normal way. You can also do this trick to instantly finish any "Poke Jobs" for easy EV training.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially once you spawn a beam via Wishing Piece (purple or red, though when looking for Charizard it has to be the purple beam for the "rare" spawn pool), you can go to "Invite Others" for the raid (while offline), press HOME, and change the date on your Switch to be one day ahead. Go back to the game, end the "search" for other players, then click the raid den again. You will get free watts every time, and it changes the spawned Pokemon. Do this for as many "days" as it takes to spawn Charizard.

The rates are really, really low, so even with this trick it can take quite a few resets, but it isn't nearly as time-consuming as trying to hope for the best the normal way. You can also do this trick to instantly finish any "Poke Jobs" for easy EV training.
Thanks. Are there any negative effects from changing the clock?

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks. Are there any negative effects from changing the clock?

I have noticed none so far. In fact, to make it feel a bit "safer" or whatever, once you spawn the correct Pokemon you are looking for, you can freely set the time back to what it was without losing the raid. Only moving time forward will change it, so I always like to sync the clock/date back once the spawn shows up.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
OMG is it true you can't trade Cofagrigus unless you nickname it?

That's what I found on Bulbapedia but I don't know if that applies to Sw/Sh.
Previously, due to the censor that prevents Pokémon with offensive nicknames being traded on the GTS, an English language Cofagrigus could not be traded without a nickname in Generation V. However, the filter has since been altered to allow Cofagrigus to be traded without a nickname.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I have noticed none so far. In fact, to make it feel a bit "safer" or whatever, once you spawn the correct Pokemon you are looking for, you can freely set the time back to what it was without losing the raid. Only moving time forward will change it, so I always like to sync the clock/date back once the spawn shows up.
Of course I just go to try this and the first time I get a Charizard haha

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys I'm new to ev training, what's the most enjoyable way to do it and have fun?

1. Refight trainer battles and earn $$$ and buy vitamins

2. Bring a team along and fight specific monsters to raise stat needed

3. Just use poke jobs training and be patient

... What are y'all doing and recommend?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I'm new to ev training, what's the most enjoyable way to do it and have fun?

There might be an updated online tool where you can plan out with a calculator where you could do these for best results.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Without exploits the fastest way is #2, but #3 just requires you to drop off Pokemon.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Do the poke job exploit. You'll feel dirty for two minutes and then you'll get over it.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Pokejob exploit

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway to get rid of a lot of excess Pokémon from breeding at once? Can you really not multi release?

And about how long can a shiny take to breed? I'm tryin to get a shiny Slowpoke. Have a Masuda ditto.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

I'd do #3, but I won't exploit. I'm patient. Just make sure to use the Macho Brace or it will take a long time. Vitamins seem like a waste of money because the gain is so little and cost is so high. And I just can't do old-fashioned EV training by defeating specific Pokemon. Seems terribly obsolete.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway to get rid of a lot of excess Pokémon from breeding at once? Can you really not multi release?

And about how long can a shiny take to breed? I'm tryin to get a shiny Slowpoke. Have a Masuda ditto.

When Pokémon Home releases you can transfer your breedjects from Sword to Shield and then delete your save in Shield when all of the boxes are filled. That's how I did it in Gen 7.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When Pokémon Home releases you can transfer your breedjects from Sword to Shield and then delete your save in Shield when all of the boxes are filled. That's how I did it in Gen 7.

Oh that's so needlessly convoluted. Why can't you just multi-select release in game.

Last edited:

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I have flare blitz, wild charge, close combat and protect on my justified arcanine. Is it worth switching out close combat for play rough? Seems like having a fairy move would be pretty useful especially against something like dynamax dragapult.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hatching slowpokes all day, no shiny. Geez I doubt I'll ever do this again.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Well aside from Blastoise Slowpoke is my 2nd favorite poke. So he gets this treatment. But yeah It's been like so many hours of Slowpoke hatching. At least 100 if not quite a bit more
100 is actually a small amount. Masuda has a 1/512 chance with Shiny charm and the unluckiest of people get into the 1000s.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
What is it exactly? I can't fast forward a day because my switch has parental controls registered, do I need to re-registere the system to do the time exploit?

#3 and if not, then #1 but get your free Gmax Meowth from Mystery Gift and use Exp Candy to make it LV100 and just keep beating the Champions League tournament.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Finally found a Shelmet because this game is not shy about literally never showing you a Pokemon that is not related to any other Pokemon that can be found. I thought Sun/Moon was bad with this regarding Spinda, but then Ultra was worse in that regard. But I'm so close!

Also, I finally have the following Pokemon with almost perfect stats and trained EVs. Any suggestions for moves or strats? Otherwise I have some bad ideas to try out.
I have: Drednaw, Mimikyu, Raichu, Frosmoth, Goodra, and Kommo-o.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a Shelmet because this game is not shy about literally never showing you a Pokemon that is not related to any other Pokemon that can be found. I thought Sun/Moon was bad with this regarding Spinda, but then Ultra was worse in that regard. But I'm so close!

Also, I finally have the following Pokemon with almost perfect stats and trained EVs. Any suggestions for moves or strats? Otherwise I have some bad ideas to try out.
I have: Drednaw, Mimikyu, Raichu, Frosmoth, Goodra, and Kommo-o.
For movesets this is what's most common:

For strats I would just watch people like Cybertron or look at the VGC reddit for ideas.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
;_;

Sorry but I love my little boy like that
It get's absolutely crushed by burn+haze anyway, so I'm not even sure why exactly I'm so annoyed by it.

EDIT:
My shiny Toxapex is nicknamed Xipe Totec, which is not only a really nice deity of (among a million other things) plague, but also an anagram of "Toxic Pete", I think you all should know that.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
100 is actually a small amount. Masuda has a 1/512 chance with Shiny charm and the unluckiest of people get into the 1000s.

I can attest to this. Sometimes you get a shiny Popplio on the second egg. Sometimes you get a shiny Passimian after 2000 eggs. And on very rare occasions, you try to breed for a Pokemon like Bounsweet and actually go past that number with no shiny in sight.

i'm convinced my copy of pokemon moon is trying to punish me for wanting a second shiny bounsweet besides the one i got in an sos battle

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Somehow ended up catching a shiny Hatterene from a stranger's Gigantimax raid. First shiny I've caught in Sw/Sh!

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm working on a team for the Battle Tower/fighting some of my friends, nothing super competitive or anything. Does this team seem decently well-rounded, or am I backing myself into an unknown corner of sort? Currently, I'm thinking:

Grimmsnarl
Toxtricity
Runerigus
Corviknight
Appletun
Orbeetle

I always like to make teams based on newcomers only my first time, but I'm honestly uncertain of who is actually considered "good" or not (I've glanced at the OU/UU lists but mostly just pick based on who I think looks cool lol). I've seen some stuff with Indeedee that makes it seem worth switching out Orbeetle for, but that UFO Gigantamax is so good.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
aye. I got a Corsola in 14 eggs when I was only breeding them for Sword exclusives.
....but my Eevee took 30 hours to get....

Oh god. I used to play a lot of mobile gacha games, so it's got a similar feeling to that. Some people will get a new rare character in their first pull. Some it will take hundreds or even thousands. Not worth betting on.

It just sucks how much active time you have to spend hatching eggs. Can only have a Coalassal in your party, basically just bike in circles and constantly replace the last hatched Pokémon with a new egg. Over...and over...and over....for hours. You can't really accomplish much else. If it was more of a passive thing I might consider doing it more.

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh god. I used to play a lot of mobile gacha games, so it's got a similar feeling to that. Some people will get a new rare character in their first pull. Some it will take hundreds or even thousands. Not worth betting on.

It just sucks how much active time you have to spend hatching eggs. Can only have a Coalassal I. Your party, basically just bike in circles and constantly replace the last hatched Pokémon with a new egg. Over...and over...and over....for hours. You can't really accomplish much else. If it was more of a passive thing I might consider doing it more.

It wasn't too bad to do if I was watching something and the Switch was on my knee or something using the Easy Controls and one Joy-Con. Still soul destroying.
To be fair its easier now than its ever been thanks to being able to swap eggs out on the fly and having the Box available everywhere.

Knightsaber

Jul 26, 2019
Finished my Shield dex last night, late to the party but \o/

Probably going to just hold off on Sword until all the DLC is out.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hatching slowpokes all day, no shiny. Geez I doubt I'll ever do this again.

Are you using a Coalossal to reduce the hatch times? Did you remember to get the Oval Charm and the Shiny Charm?

I try to shiny hunt when I'm watching TV or something. I can hatch 300 eggs in an evening of Netflix usually.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't too bad to do if I was watching something and the Switch was on my knee or something using the Easy Controls and one Joy-Con. Still soul destroying.
To be fair its easier now than its ever been thanks to being able to swap eggs out on the fly and having the Box available everywhere.

That's pretty much the only reason why I'm even attempting it this time. In the past with the box stuff that was way too much.

Really the worst part of it is getting rid of the excess Pokémon. If there was a way to release multiple at once it wouldn't be as bad. So dumb that there's not, especially considering that the multi select option is already there.

Are you using a Coalossal to reduce the hatch times? Did you remember to get the Oval Charm and the Shiny Charm?

I try to shiny hunt when I'm watching TV or something. I can hatch 300 eggs in an evening of Netflix usually.

Using Coalassal and have the oval charm, but what's the shiny charm?

Knightsaber

Jul 26, 2019
That's pretty much the only reason why I'm even attempting it this time. In the past with the box stuff that was way too much.

Really the worst part of it is getting rid of the excess Pokémon. If there was a way to release multiple at once it wouldn't be as bad. So dumb that there's not, especially considering that the multi select option is already there.

You get the Shiny Charm from finishing the dex and visiting the guy in the hotel again in Circ. I guess it raises your shiny odds.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Shiny charm is the reward for completing the pokedex. It increases the odds of finding a shiny.