• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It might be in the expansion, it's hard to tell. But I imagine the reason is to give people a reason to raid for them

With starters I can understand them just giving it to them, especially because they should have had those forms at launch. What I'm saying is for every other Pokémon once you raid for them and catch one, you can then "unlock" the Gigantamax version throughout that series of Pokémon. That way you still have to hunt for them and shit but once you have them you have them.

Like there's a lot of Pokémon right now that I feel silly investing so much into in case they get Gigantamax forms in the future. Which is like the exact type of shit that has prevented me from getting really into Pokémon late-game that I thought SW/SH finally fixed (not being able to raise the Pokémon you really want in previous games due to set values and shit). They fixed so much but just threw in another hurdle.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
With starters I can understand them just giving it to them, especially because they should have had those forms at launch. What I'm saying is for every other Pokémon once you raid for them and catch one, you can then "unlock" the Gigantamax version throughout that series of Pokémon. That way you still have to hunt for them and shit but once you have them you have them.

Like there's a lot of Pokémon right now that I feel silly investing so much into in case they get Gigantamax forms in the future. Which is like the exact type of shit that has prevented me from getting really into Pokémon late-game that I thought SW/SH finally fixed (not being able to raise the Pokémon you really want in previous games due to set values and shit). They fixed so much but just threw in another hurdle.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. I wish it was like that too. The wording on the site on the expansion is ambiguous about it:

It seems that The Isle of Armor expansion will allow you to help some of the Pokémon traveling with you gain the ability to Gigantamax. This has led to the discovery of the Gigantamax forms for Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon, the Evolutions of the three Pokémon you choose from for your first partner Pokémon in the Galar region.

So I'm hoping it's something they add with that.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I understand what you're saying. I wish it was like that too. The wording on the site on the expansion is ambiguous about it:

It seems that The Isle of Armor expansion will allow you to help some of the Pokémon traveling with you gain the ability to Gigantamax. This has led to the discovery of the Gigantamax forms for Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon, the Evolutions of the three Pokémon you choose from for your first partner Pokémon in the Galar region.

So I'm hoping it's something they add with that.

Ah yeah. The wording of that gives me hope. It they add in something like that, my playtime of this game will be much longer than I would otherwise

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i bought a switch and sword today. haven't played a pokémon entry since diamond and pearl i think. it's really good!! i think i've just gotten out of the "tutorial" part of the beginning

i still have that habit of tapping A quickly when i throw a pokéball hahaha

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
Gotta say, while I thought that the main adventure and world of pokemon sword/shield is not so great as previous games, I'm sort of loving going around the wild area, catching breeding & raiding. Never played much of the late game in any pokemon game, but can't put this down in spite of all the technical issues.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question, when HOME launches next month will Meltan and Melmetal be transferable to Sw/Sh? I didn't play Let's Go so I'm going to have to be doing some panhandling for them on the GTS lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question, when HOME launches next month will Meltan and Melmetal be transferable to Sw/Sh? I didn't play Let's Go so I'm going to have to be doing some panhandling for them on the GTS lol
They're in the code, but there hasn't been any confirmation that they will be transferable on the day of release.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ended the season with 300 battles, 172 wins, 128 losses.
Think I'll be like in the 600s when all is said and done. Might drop to like 800s tomorrow, but I think I should finish in top 1,000.
This was in Doubles (got like 40,000 in singles or something, just did some to get to Master, then didn't care).

Much better than last season.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, while I thought that the main adventure and world of pokemon sword/shield is not so great as previous games, I'm sort of loving going around the wild area, catching breeding & raiding. Never played much of the late game in any pokemon game, but can't put this down in spite of all the technical issues.
I wouldn't have enjoyed this game as much as I did without the wild area

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
A mythical Pokemon that didn't get datamined beforehand or revealed before the generation started?

Is this the first time this has ever happened?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A mythical Pokemon that didn't get datamined beforehand or revealed before the generation started?

Is this the first time this has ever happened?
Technically Meltan

But Niantic ruined it by uploading the data to the servers early so we had seen it

Melmetal too

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
So picked up Shield cheap, First time playing Pokémon game was Let's Go. Can I go in blind and not be totally lost or is it completely different from Let's Go?

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
So picked up Shield cheap, First time playing Pokémon game was Let's Go. Can I go in blind and not be totally lost or is it completely different from Let's Go?

This game is a little more complex in terms of how battles work, but the basics are the same.
The key difference is how catching Pokemon works, and they tutorialise that anyway.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Posting in OT2, put in about 260 hours so far into both Sword and Shield. I took most of December off.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
From the Pokémon Day announcement thread: The Pokémon Company seems to have confirmed Meltan is part of Gen 8.

3XWpfIS.png

(Picture from the Pokémon Day announcement video that Pokémon Korea uploaded early and now deleted)

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question for you guys, I'm trying to form a semi-competitive (for online play) team and here's what I've learned:

1. Find the Pokemon with the Ability you want first, those are difficult to change later
2. Make sure they have the moveset you want, egg abilities and whatnot
3. EV Training has the biggest statistical impact for competitive play
4. Next is Best IVs. Those boost your stats, but not as much as EV training
5. Lastly is Nature with a 10% boost. If you do all the three above but don't have the "right" Nature, you'll still have a really good Pokemon

I understand all five of those components create the best competitive guys, and in 'order of importance" it would be: Abilitiy/Moveset, EVs, IVs, and then Nature.

I'm trying to build a fun competitive team without doing all the grindy breeding. I want to have a team of guys that I have captured myself in the wild or Max Raid... that way I feel a sense of "ownership" over my team rather than my team was created in the lab (nursery). I know this will make me less competitively viable, but that's okay, I'm not that serious about this anyway. I'd like to rank up a few times online and beat my random friends who also play the game.

... And the best way to spend Watts is to use those digger guys (the one on the left) to get you Bottle Caps.
... And the best way to spend BP is the held items they sell.

Do y'all think I have my head wrapped around this correctly? Any misconceptions I have?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I have a question for you guys, I'm trying to form a semi-competitive (for online play) team and here's what I've learned:

1. Find the Pokemon with the Ability you want first, those are difficult to change later
5. Lastly is Nature with a 10% boost. If you do all the three above but don't have the "right" Nature, you'll still have a really good Pokemon

I understand all five of those components create the best competitive guys, and in 'order of importance" it would be: Abilitiy/Moveset, EVs, IVs, and then Nature.

I'm trying to build a fun competitive team without doing all the grindy breeding. I want to have a team of guys that I have captured myself in the wild or Max Raid... that way I feel a sense of "ownership" over my team rather than my team was created in the lab (nursery). I know this will make me less competitively viable, but that's okay, I'm not that serious about this anyway. I'd like to rank up a few times online and beat my random friends who also play the game.

... And the best way to spend Watts is to use those digger guys (the one on the left) to get you Bottle Caps.

Do y'all think I have my head wrapped around this correctly? Any misconceptions I have?

Abilities only matter if you want the Hidden Ability. If not, you can change it later.

For example, I'm currently looking for a Stalward Duraludon so the first thing I need to do is find it in a Den, otherwise there is no point in training one.

Natures don't matter much anymore, you can change them.

Movesets don't matter either, as you can get them later.

So really, once you've got your Hidden Ability, you can EV train and that's it. Everything else is possible to get later (with a lot of BPs).

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Breeding for IVs, egg moves and abilities is outdated. Capturing wild pokemon with marks and changing their nature, ability and IVs later is the new meta. Just requires lots of BP (or berries in case of re-doing EVs), that's the catch, but anything except Hidden Abilities can be fixed at a cost.

I will say, if you want to have fun with a non-optimal team, stick to doubles. In my experience the singles ladder is more punishing and restrictive even at the lower ranks.

Dec 11, 2017
👋 Please let me know if I should ask elsewhere, but I've just picked up my first ever Pokemon game. (I know)

Is there a great video guide for first time players out there? Interested in any YouTubers who cater to beginners, as rare as they would be.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
From the Pokémon Day announcement thread: The Pokémon Company seems to have confirmed Meltan is part of Gen 8.

3XWpfIS.png

(Picture from the Pokémon Day announcement video that Pokémon Korea uploaded early and now deleted)
We've had official material show Meltan/Melmetal as Gen 7. We've also now had it show them as Gen 8

The game code groups them with Gen 7

This is an odd prediciment.

I propose they're Gen 7.5 and can be rounded up or down as we see fit :P

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hello. Just started playing this. Well - gamesharing with my little boy, he has taken to using my save. Good game so far, certainly more expansive than Let's Go (my first Pokemon game if we don't count Go). Contextually, it is nice and easy to slip in to, my boy certainly found himself right at home.

My mind throws back to a comment a few years back about how Nintendo was going to embrace live services gaming, but without the constant economics being thrown in your face, and the way Sword & Shield is gradually dropping content - both free and big paid pack - is in line with this model. Other games have been similar in style, consistently looking for events to bring you back into the game. I'm ok with that, I always loved the new creatures or special events being dropped in Go, so I get the synergy with that.

Outside of this, yeah, all seems fine to me. I do wish they'd get in voice acting - not for me, for my non-reading boy.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So, I've seen a few in my game and a bunch on twitter... But it seems people are setting up hacked raids with unobtainable pokemon(Gen 1/8 Starters, Legendaries). Most appear to have the Missing Image Pokeball for their silhouette, but some like Marshadow, have a silhouette.

I haven't caught or fought any, because I don't want to get banned, but I know what these are, so keep an eye out for these.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man I got to masterball again in singles and doubles but I got wrecked this time in singles. Seems like everyone has a gyarados answer. RIP you OP bastard

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Man I got to masterball again in singles and doubles but I got wrecked this time in singles. Seems like everyone has a gyarados answer. RIP you OP bastard

What are the best answers you ran up against? I'm trying to build my first 3v3 comp, but have a hard time finding one pokemon that counters Gyarados 100% of the time. The most reliable solutions that fit my team concept still get dicey if I lead wrong or Gyarados gets set up.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What are the best answers you ran up against? I'm trying to build my first 3v3 comp, but have a hard time finding one pokemon that counters Gyarados 100% of the time. The most reliable solutions that fit my team concept still get dicey if I lead wrong or Gyarados gets set up.

sandrush excadrill with rock tomb is a very hard check. Ttar excadrill in general is surprisingly hard for gyarados. You also want Pokémon with max lightning which seem to be plenty (eg. Clefable, lapras, dragapult, Conkeldurr, Rotom).

Last edited:

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone bothering with the Milcery event to get easier ribbons and fill up a perfect alternate form dex? I tried a couple and used the "advance a day" method a couple times, but my god, does it take forever. I'm halfway there, I think. Every time a 5 star Milcery doesn't give me a single ribbon I feel like throwing my switch out of the window.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone bothering with the Milcery event to get easier ribbons and fill up a perfect alternate form dex? I tried a couple and used the "advance a day" method a couple times, but my god, does it take forever. I'm halfway there, I think. Every time a 5 star Milcery doesn't give me a single ribbon I feel like throwing my switch out of the window.

Yep, given its not so much easier ribbons as the only way to get ribbon sweets.

I find it's easier to join in with other people's raids then generate more of my own. You also don't need to be picky about star ratings, they all have the same drop rate.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, given its not so much easier ribbons as the only way to get ribbon sweets.

I find it's easier to join in with other people's raids then generate more of my own. You also don't need to be picky about star ratings, they all have the same drop rate.

Oh, I said ribbons when I meant sweets in general, my bad. But yeah, I also know that's the exclusive way to getting this specific type of sweet.

Anyway, apparently the catch rate online is changed for these max raid battles? Solo/offline a great/ultra ball has a 100% catch rate, so I've been doing it that way. My comment on the 5-star is more regarding that it takes a bit longer to kill and be rewarded with nothing is annoying. I do know they have the same drop rate, I just don't know how to make a specific tier of max raid spawn, so I just battle what I get.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
sandrush excadrill with rock tomb is a very hard check. Ttar excadrill in general is surprisingly hard for gyarados. You also want Pokémon with max lightning which seem to be plenty (eg. Clefable, lapras, dragapult, Conkeldurr, Rotom).

Huh, wouldn't have thought to test Excadrill. I'll add the others to the list, too. Some of them I've already tried and found they either have problems OHKOing dynamaxed Gyarados or risk getting OHKOd twice over themselves. The Rotom on my doubles team I specifically EVed to deal with Gyarados and still had to give it a Rindo Berry as additional failsafe, but if Gyarados is holding a Wacan Berry all bets are off again.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to get an "Egg Move" for Perrserker.

So that means I can just put in a Perrserker that I have now in the day care with a Ditto, and it will come out a Meowth, and I'm just going to keep breeding and getting eggs until I find my egg move as one of the first two moves? Or do I need to level it up a few times to see if I get the egg move? How does all that work?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I'm trying to get an "Egg Move" for Perrserker.

So that means I can just put in a Perrserker that I have now in the day care with a Ditto, and it will come out a Meowth, and I'm just going to keep breeding and getting eggs until I find my egg move as one of the first two moves? Or do I need to level it up a few times to see if I get the egg move? How does all that work?

Pokemon have specific egg groups they are in. You need to breed a female Meowth with a male Pokemon (that's in the same egg group as Meowth) that knows the egg move you want.

I usually use Serebii's egg chain pages to see which is the easiest Pokemon to get the move from. Here's Meowth/Perrserker's: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-swsh/perrserker/egg.shtml

So for example say you want Spite on Meowth, the fastest way is to get a male Vulpix/Ninetales that knows the move and put it in the daycare with a female Meowth. The Meowth that hatch from the eggs will have Spite as an extra move.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon have specific egg groups they are in. You need to breed a female Meowth with a male Pokemon (that's in the same egg group as Meowth) that knows the egg move you want.

I usually use Serebii's egg chain pages to see which is the easiest Pokemon to get the move from. Here's Meowth/Perrserker's: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-swsh/perrserker/egg.shtml

So for example say you want Spite on Meowth, the fastest way is to get a male Vulpix/Ninetales that knows the move and put it in the daycare with a female Meowth. The Meowth that hatch from the eggs will have Spite as an extra move.

Thanks for replying!

I currently have Male Perserrker with Steely Spirit HA.

I want a Perserker to learn Curse WITH the Steely Spirit HA.

... So I need to breed this male Perserker with another Pokemon that already knows Curse, then that egg will come with Curse?

Sorry I'm new at this, thanks for breaking it down for me!