• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Have no idea why But first time I got into shiny Collecting in a game. My current progress so far in my Shiny Beast Ball Living Dex https://imgur.com/gallery/Yu3uGd6
Wow, how have you got so many? I've been going for Grookey on and off for a few weeks now and now luck. I'm on 11 I think. Skwovet, Greedunt, Wooloo, Chewtle and Rolycoly from the encounter method, Blipbug, Toxel and Piloswine as random encounters and Magikarp, Gyarados and Charizard from raids.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Are all gmax Pokemon always available? I've been date resetting a purple beam and I'm several months in the future and haven't seen giga Trubbish yet. Want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Finished my Alcremie dex with all 63 forms. Now there's something I never want to have to do again.

Just missing the Sinistea/Polteageist forms and Zacian for my living dex of all the new Gen 8 stuff that's available.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Are all gmax Pokemon always available? I've been date resetting a purple beam and I'm several months in the future and haven't seen giga Trubbish yet. Want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels here.
All except Snorlax and Toxtricity, though they will probably get dens added in the future in the DLC

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All except Snorlax and Toxtricity, though they will probably get dens added in the future in the DLC
Cool thanks!

The odds seem pretty low (5% in five star raids, so if each rarity is equal that's only 1/100, are the rarities equal chance?), and I've only done about 100 dates so not outside that I suppose.

TheRizza7

Oct 30, 2017
I'm getting ready for Home and I have a question about transferring old Pokemon. Is it not possible to transfer gen 1/2 to gen 3 and then bring them upward from there? Or is the only way to use the VC versions? I want to bring everyone I've ever had into one system

edit: I never played HG/SS or the OR/AS

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm getting ready for Home and I have a question about transferring old Pokemon. Is it not possible to transfer gen 1/2 to gen 3 and then bring them upward from there? Or is the only way to use the VC versions? I want to bring everyone I've ever had into one system

Unfortunately there's no connectivity between Gens 2 and 3 so Pokémon from Gens 1 and 2 original games are stuck in Gen 2

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if you can get authentic sinistea through breeding or if it's only available on the wild?

(the parent being a fake one)

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

There actually is a way but it's ridiculously convoluted and requires you to hack your 3DS and basically copy the save data from the original cartridges into the VC versions of the game.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well. I've only played on the camp once.

Guess that's hitting the grass for me then. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
Question. Anyone in the US with Pokemon Pass able to get a code from this and DM it to me please? We don't get Pokemon Pass in Canada so folks like me can't get it. :/

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Two and a half weeks left in February and we don't even have a release date for Home.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
RIP Pokemon Pass app. At least I was able to get the last Sun/Moon distribution.
But what is this about Canada-exclusive clothing? Whatever. Nothing will top the magenta Pikachu on black!

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Shiny G-Max Kingler in a random raid last night. I'm so happy.

I now feel the need to build a VGC team around it though. Any ideas, ERA?

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I got a Shiny G-Max Kingler in a random raid last night. I'm so happy.

I now feel the need to build a VGC team around it though. Any ideas, ERA?

Choice Band Dracovish, maybe one alternate method of speed control in case G-Max Foam Burst doesn't work out and/or a rain dancer, then the rest all pokemon that deal with everything the fish and the crab don't kill.

If you score a shiny Draco it'd even match shiny G-Max Kingler's grey-silver color scheme!

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Hoping Bank comes out this week. Also interested to see how they distribute the mythical Pokémon this generation. Really hoping I don't have to go the Gamestop.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Is there actually an easy way of breeding a Pokemon with one specific worst IV? I need a Ferrothorn with a 0 speed IV...

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Is there actually an easy way of breeding a Pokemon with one specific worst IV? I need a Ferrothorn with a 0 speed IV...

If you attach an EV-item to a parent it'll pass down their IV in the corresponding stat guaranteed. You may just have to do a whole bunch of chain-breeding to get the 0 speed IV on a pokemon compatible with Ferrothorn. And then you're limited to either Destiny Knot or Everstone for the second item slot, which forces you to roll the dice on (or spend BP to fix) other stats and nature.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
If you attach an EV-item to a parent it'll pass down their IV in the corresponding stat guaranteed. You may just have to do a whole bunch of chain-breeding to get the 0 speed IV on a pokemon compatible with Ferrothorn. And then you're limited to either Destiny Knot or Everstone for the second item slot, which forces you to roll the dice on (or spend BP to fix) other stats and nature.

Thank you, this is giving me some hope actually! :) So, just to check if I got it right: I'll put in a 6 IV Ferroseed equipped with a Destiny Knot and another compatible Pokemon with a 0 Speed IV equipped with the EV item (do you maybe know in which city to get them?), so the 0 speed IV will be passed down every time and the destiny knot on the 6 IV Mon should make it somehow probable to get perfect IVs for the rest of the stats?

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you, this is giving me some hope actually! :) So, just to check if I got it right: I'll put in a 6 IV Ferroseed equipped with a Destiny Knot and another compatible Pokemon with a 0 Speed IV equipped with the EV item (do you maybe know in which city to get them?), so the 0 speed IV will be passed down every time and the destiny knot on the 6 IV Mon should make it somehow probable to get perfect IVs for the rest of the stats?
If you're really set on getting 5 perfect IVs and a 0 you're better off using a Destiny Knot and an Everstone. The 6th IV will always be random anyway.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
If you're really set on getting 5 perfect IVs and a 0 you're better off using a Destiny Knot and an Everstone. The 6th IV will always be random anyway.

But I mean - I'm talking about a specific 0 IV, so wouldn't it be wise to equipp the corresponding EV training item so it always gets passed down? Isn't the effect of the Everstone only the passing down of the nature? I mean, I can always correct it with Mints later unless I'm missunderstanding something here.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Choice Band Dracovish, maybe one alternate method of speed control in case G-Max Foam Burst doesn't work out and/or a rain dancer, then the rest all pokemon that deal with everything the fish and the crab don't kill.

If you score a shiny Draco it'd even match shiny G-Max Kingler's grey-silver color scheme!
Ooh, I like it. I could use Grimmsnarl as a backup for speed control.

Now I'm just worried that I'll be soft resetting for a shiny Dracozolt forever now lmao

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
But I mean - I'm talking about a specific 0 IV, so wouldn't it be wise to equipp the corresponding EV training item so it always gets passed down? Isn't the effect of the Everstone only the passing down of the nature? I mean, I can always correct it with Mints later unless I'm missunderstanding something here.

If you use the Speed IV item and the Destiny Knot, you will always pass down the Speed IV, but the Destiny Knot's 5 IVs it chooses can also include the Speed IV, so you probably will still have 1 random IV of the 6. You need BP to get a mint to change the nature, you can just find Bottle Caps super easily to buff a different IV to 31.

All I'm saying is you won't really save time necessarily.

EDIT: Although you'll need to get to level 100 to use the Bottle Cap, so who knows.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

The power items are sold in Hammerlocke in the central Pokemon Center by the NPC on the right next to the two shop vendors. They cost 10 BP each. For speed you want the Power Anklet.

Your method works technically, but a"somehow probable" is maybe not an accurate evaluation. If you have a Ferrothorn with 4 perfect IVs (HP, Def, SpA, SpD - don't think Ferrothorn has a reason to care about At) and breed it with a 0 speed IV pokemon with between 1-30 in every other stat the resulting offspring has about a 2% chance to inherit exactly the five stats you want.

What I usually do is breed until I get a Ferrothorn baby with 2-3 perfect IVs in addition to the 0 speed IV, then pair it with the other Ferrothorn and change the item combination from Macho + Destiny Knot to Everstone + Destiny Knot. At that point I treat the speed stat like like I would when breeding any other flawless pokemon, except I want Destiny Knot to pick a 0 instead of a 31.

That said, you're still settling in for having to hatch 50ish eggs on average whatever route you take. And if you're fine with fixing the nature, your method actually has better odds of getting you the desired result sooner if I calculated it right. Just remember to upgrade the parents if you hatch better but not perfect offspring. So if you have a pokemon with one desired stat in the daycare and hatch one with two, swap them out. If that produces a pokemon with three desired stats, swap again and so forth.

Good luck and may the egg algorithm bless you.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Hey guys, maybe some of you might help me to work on my competetive team? Basically I have 4 slots already set (maybe?) and I would love to know if anybody here has an idea how to fill the remaining 2 slots. My 4 frequently Pokemon used are:

Mimikyu (Life Orb):
Attract
Play Rough
Drain Punch
Shadow Sneak

Special Att. Dragapult (Choice Specs):
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Tunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Toxapex (Black Sludge):
Baneful Bunker
Scald
Toxic
Recover

Excadrill (Focus Sash)
Earthquake
Rapid Spin
Iron Head
Rock Slide

Those are my main 4 that I used in battles, I also have a pretty well trained Malamar (Superpower, Psycho Cut, Rest, Sleep Talk) and a well trained Choice Scarf Dracovish (Earthquake, Crunch, Fishious Rend, Psychic Fangs) , but not sure if they are of good use in this specific team. So what do you think? Are there any obvious type coverages that I should consider or something obviously missing? Something that would work well with this specific team or do I need to reconsider a lot here? I'm thinking maybe of a Pokemon setting up Tailwind (maybe Whimsicott) and maybe a Intimidating Pokemon like Arcanine or Gyardos, but I'm not sure... any help and suggestions or changes are greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
LOL joke post?

They won't announce the date, we know it's this month, the answer is obvious, "... you can download Pokemon Home right now... " will be one of the things you are gonna hear tomorrow while watching a certain live stream.
Plus it's likely they're waiting for all platforms to be ready, and Apple is notorious for holding things up

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey guys, maybe some of you might help me to work on my competetive team? Basically I have 4 slots already set (maybe?) and I would love to know if anybody here has an idea how to fill the remaining 2 slots. My 4 frequently Pokemon used are:

Mimikyu (Life Orb):
Attract
Play Rough
Drain Punch
Shadow Sneak

Special Att. Dragapult (Choice Specs):
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Tunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Toxapex (Black Sludge):
Baneful Bunker
Scald
Toxic
Recover

Excadrill (Focus Sash)
Earthquake
Rapid Spin
Iron Head
Rock Slide

Those are my main 4 that I used in battles, I also have a pretty well trained Malamar (Superpower, Psycho Cut, Rest, Sleep Talk) and a well trained Choice Scarf Dracovish (Earthquake, Crunch, Fishious Rend, Psychic Fangs) , but not sure if they are of good use in this specific team. So what do you think? Are there any obvious type coverages that I should consider or something obviously missing? Something that would work well with this specific team or do I need to reconsider a lot here? I'm thinking maybe of a Pokemon setting up Tailwind (maybe Whimsicott) and maybe a Intimidating Pokemon like Arcanine or Gyardos, but I'm not sure... any help and suggestions or changes are greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

What battle format is this team for? Rapid Spin on Excadrill leads me to believe Singles, maybed even 6v6 rather than 3v3, which I can't offer the least bit of help with, except to notice you have no great switch-ins for Ground- or Ghost-type attacks.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
What battle format is this team for? Rapid Spin on Excadrill leads me to believe Singles, maybed even 6v6 rather than 3v3, which I can't offer the least bit of help with, except to notice you have no great switch-ins for Ground- or Ghost-type attacks.

Actually I was battling in the format of 4 out of 6 so far - but to be honest yeah, I don't think I have used Rapid Spin once so far, maybe I should replace it with something more useful.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Actually I was battling in the format of 4 out of 6 so far - but to be honest yeah, I don't think I have used Rapid Spin once so far, maybe I should replace it with something more useful.

So Doubles/VGC rules? I'm on a bit firmer ground, then.

Yeah, first thing I'd do is replace Rapid Spin. The move received a buff this gen to provide a speed boost, but its main use is still to remove entry hazards, which are a non-factor in 2v2/4v4. Toxapex is also not as commonly seen in doubles as in singles, but it can work well, I'm just not familiar enough with it to tell you how.

Is Excadrill Sand Rush or Mold Breaker?

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
So Doubles/VGC rules? I'm on a bit firmer ground, then.

Yeah, first thing I'd do is replace Rapid Spin. The move received a buff this gen to provide a speed boost, but its main use is still to remove entry hazards, which are a non-factor in 2v2/4v4. Toxapex is also not as commonly seen in doubles as in singles, but it can work well, I'm just not familiar enough with it to tell you how.

Is Excadrill Sand Rush or Mold Breaker?

Thank you for your input already :) I will get rid of Rapid Spin then - don't know what I'll replace it with, but we'll see. Also, it's a Sand Rush Excadrill because I fight against a lot Tyranitars and when needed I can Dynamax Excadrill to go for an attack summoning a sand storm.
And yeah, the Toxapex is sometimes a life saver in battles for me, so far it's great.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thank you for your input already :) I will get rid of Rapid Spin then - don't know what I'll replace it with, but we'll see. Also, it's a Sand Rush Excadrill because I fight against a lot Tyranitars and when needed I can Dynamax Excadrill to go for an attack summoning a sand storm.
And yeah, the Toxapex is sometimes a life saver in battles for me, so far it's great.

Excadrills usually run either Protect or Swords Dance in the 4th slot. Protect is kinda the reverse of Rapid Spin, a move rarely seen in Singles but a mainstay in Doubles. Some also prefer High Horsepower to Earthquake because of how damage is calculated with multiple pokemon on the field and since none of Excadrill's partners in your team are immune to EQ I think Horsepower would work out better for them.

As far as move sets go, Attract and Drain Punch on Mimikyu stand out as the other off-kilter choices.

With Sand Rush Excadrill it's weird not having another pokemon able to set sand for it. As long as you're relying on opponents bringing Tyranitar, it's a dead ability in a lot of games and Mold Breaker would probably serve you better as a means of dealing with Follow Me support. If you're sticking with Sand Rush, your own Ttar is an obvious addition to the team. And then the 6th slot you can just keep open until you notice certain strategies and pokemon you keep losing to that force you back to the drawing board.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
My team for Doubles (6v6) so far, what do you think?

Conkeldurr and Dracovish are the heavy hitters. Conkel is the Dynamaxed 99% of the time due to it's great coverage.

Milotic is there to tank on the special side, speed control and to stop set-ups.

Sableye is the annoying motherfucker that either burns or slows down to a crawl with Trick.

Steelix is the physical tank that packs a punch and also laughs at all the Toxtricity fandom. Considering changing Heavy Slam for Iron Head to be able to attack dynamaxed mons, EQ for Horsepower and replacing rock slide for fire fang.

Eldegoss is the cleric but he is the weak link of the pack since it's too passive and slow to use Pollen Puff effectively. More likely than not it's going to be replaces with Whimsicott.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Conkeldurr and Dracovish are the heavy hitters. Conkel is the Dynamaxed 99% of the time due to it's great coverage.

Milotic is there to tank on the special side, speed control and to stop set-ups.

Sableye is the annoying motherfucker that either burns or slows down to a crawl with Trick.

Steelix is the physical tank that packs a punch and also laughs at all the Toxtricity fandom. Considering changing Heavy Slam for Iron Head to be able to attack dynamaxed mons, EQ for Horsepower and replacing rock slide for fire fang.

Eldegoss is the cleric but he is the weak link of the pack since it's too passive and slow to use Pollen Puff effectively. More likely than not it's going to be replaces with Whimsicott.

I like seeing another Dracovish besides my own try their luck with Dragon Rush. I'm still not sold on the idea, and it's for edge cases anyway, but knowing at least one more person had the same idea makes me feel better about it.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I like seeing another Dracovish besides my own try their luck with Dragon Rush. I'm still not sold on the idea, and it's for edge cases anyway, but knowing at least one more person had the same idea makes me feel better about it.

The original idea was to use it with Blunder Policy to increase the speed after a miss, but I soon realised that the Fish will survive 2 hits if it's lucky l, so it's better off with a scarf. And let's be real: 90% of the time you are better off shooting fishious rend like a madman.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

what spreads did you give to Conkeldurr and Steelix? I've been thinking of raising those two

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The original idea was to use it with Blunder Policy to increase the speed after a miss, but I soon realised that the Fish will survive 2 hits if it's lucky l, so it's better off with a scarf. And let's be real: 90% of the time you are better off shooting fishious rend like a madman.

Yeah, I basically only wanted a dragon-type move on my Dracovish in the rare case it dynamaxes. I booted Ice Fang for it because of the overlap in coverage between the two moves. But I see you're running both. Why not drop one of them for the sake of Psychic Fangs or Leech Life (or Rock Slide if Steelix opts for Fire Fang instead)?

My first instinct was also to look for a way to squeeze in Rain Dance on Sableye as Dracovish, especially scarfed, really appreciates the damage boost, but I noticed Sableye's move pool isn't lacking for overall more useful choices.