• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Non event gigantamax catch rates are serious ass.

I've had so many shiny Gmax Duraludons, Drednaws, Garbadors, Sandacondas and now Lapras escape.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy the event catch rates are at least good now. Near launch it took like 10 attempts to get a Gmax Centiskorch.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did you even find all those shinies!?

Browse r/shinyraids and join a Discord server. People use RNG manipulation to find a raid spot that's shiny(the IVs/shiny status/gender/etc. of a raid spot is always RNG locked so if you have a way of finding one that has shiny ticked off, you're golden).

I've managed to catch a box full of shinies in the last week thanks to this.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
Yup! What he said! We've been discussing it here and there from time to time. I've gotten a handful of shinies this way, but they are very hard to catch. Just gotta keep trying. The people who host them have no issues with you trying to catch it over and over again so long as everyone gets a chance at it.

Sometimes I'll join a raid from my stamp feed and turns out their shiny!

Some advice, stock up on Dusk Balls to get a higher chance of catching these shinies, gives you a higher percentage. Use a repeat ball if you have the Pokémon registered on your Pokedex.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Mewtwo isn't catchable, but apparently has super good rewards.

I really dread the demand we'll see in shiny raids for Pokemon like Mewtwo and Rayquaza when the DLC hits.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Just got blown out by Mewtwo lol. Completely bodied the two Zacians in our group with focus blast and fire blast.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Mewtwo is level 100(with probably max EVs or something) and it has good coverage. It's not going to be an easy kill.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Lunala is a great Pokemon to bring as it is immune to it's fighting attacks and can soak some hits with it's ability.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in the last 2/3 weeks but wow people sure are happy to show off their hacked monsters.
I got my Kanto starters so it's back to wait until the next den event.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
So what's the best Pokemon to take into the MewTwo battle that won't get wiped?

Just came 1 hit away from beating him. Mew, Snorlax, Weavile and Cinderace.

Last edited:

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
So, like, if Mewtwo is really this hard to beat why not just make him catchable? I wonder if they'll do a distribution this gen or if they'll limit it to transfers from Let's Go.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Does it have to be Lunala or is Dawn Wings Necrozma enough?

Edit: Can't beat it either way. All it takes is for one random to use a Pokémon that Mewtwo can OHKO, and we're all toast.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Remember, don't bring:

Dark-types (It has Fighting Moves)
Rock/Steel types (It has Fighting/Fire/Ground Moves)

It also has boosting moves such as Bulk Up and Nasty Plot

Bring Ghost-types. Marshadow is a good but risky shout due to its Fighting-type but can steal boosts. Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma are good shouts

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet dynamaxing apparition of Arceus on a bike! This Mewtwo fight is the hardest individual fight in the ENTIRE SERIES!!!

Started with a Hydregon thinking this would be just like any other max raid. Team got Max Knuckled and Earthquaked to pieces. Switches to Rotom-W for burns and screens. Starts buffing himself with Nasty Plot then unleashed psychic and icy hell. WTF. Switched to Grimmsnarl thinking I should prankster out a T-wave + Screens. Works well at first except I have no answer to buffs! Not even a team of Lvl. 100 Grimmsnarl, Mewtwo, Lunala, and Tyranitar could take the damned thing out!

I managed to pull it off after I get paired with another Grimmsnarl, a Sun(?) Necrozma with an assault vest, and a Marshadow with spectral thief(steals opponents buffs). This last one proved to be the key, as Marshadow would keep Mewtwo from snowballing out of control, while Grimmsnarl provides paralysis and screens.

From what I've gathered, Mewtwo:
  1. Attacks three times a turn.
  2. Is at Lvl. 100 and is probably EV trained.
  3. Has 5 times the amount of regular health, and six shields per phase
  4. Comes in physical/special/mixed variants.
  5. A series first: knows 6 moves.
  6. Loves setting up sun then roasting you alive with a boosted max flare.
In addition to what Serebii said three posts ago, I recommend specing your Pokemon for bulk and defense if viable - you spend most of the time chipping away at shields. That extra bulk helps you live longer.

My Grimsnarl has prankster and is running Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Darkest Lariat. I'm thinking about fitting taunt in there somewhere to shut down buffing, but I need all of my current moves!

My opinion on this event: It is truly fantastic! This fight forces you to draw from everything the game offers you, train your team to the fullest, and come up with a coherent game plan to handle this superboss ahead of time. This is one way of adding challenge to Pokemon, and it's great postgame content too! I really wish it wasn't temporary... If this is a preview of what the Isle of Armor offers, then I just went from "meh" to "whoa".

One last idea: A future game or offline mode could have you fight raid bosses with four of your own Pokemon, adding that much depth to the team planning phase. Now you have to plot out four Pokemon instead of just one! I really, really, hope Game Freak doesn't chuck the whole thing out when gen 9 comes around, as there's fantastic potential for the series here.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Someone with a fainted pokemon cheered, and it wiped all of Mewtwo's shields. I guess if you want to win by RNG, then just have your pokemon faint, then cheer, and hope for the best.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet dynamaxing apparition of Arceus on a bike! This Mewtwo fight is the hardest individual fight in the ENTIRE SERIES!!!

Started with a Hydregon thinking this would be just like any other max raid. Team got Max Knuckled and Earthquaked to pieces. Switches to Rotom-W for burns and screens. Starts buffing himself with Nasty Plot then unleashed psychic and icy hell. WTF. Switched to Grimmsnarl thinking I should prankster out a T-wave + Screens. Works well at first except I have no answer to buffs! Not even a team of Lvl. 100 Grimmsnarl, Mewtwo, Lunala, and Tyranitar could take the damned thing out!

I managed to pull it off after I get paired with another Grimmsnarl, a Sun(?) Necrozma with an assault vest, and a Marshadow with spectral thief(steals opponents buffs). This last one proved to be the key, as Marshadow would keep Mewtwo from snowballing out of control, while Grimmsnarl provides paralysis and screens.

From what I've gathered, Mewtwo:
  1. Attacks three times a turn.
  2. Is at Lvl. 100 and is probably EV trained.
  3. Has 5 times the amount of regular health, and six shields per phase
  4. Comes in physical/special/mixed variants.
  5. A series first: knows 6 moves.
  6. Loves setting up sun then roasting you alive with a boosted max flare.
In addition to what Serebii said three posts ago, I recommend specing your Pokemon for bulk and defense if viable - you spend most of the time chipping away at shields. That extra bulk helps you live longer.

My Grimsnarl has prankster and is running Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Darkest Lariat. I'm thinking about fitting taunt in there somewhere to shut down buffing, but I need all of my current moves!

My opinion on this event: It is truly fantastic! This fight forces you to draw from everything the game offers you, train your team to the fullest, and come up with a coherent game plan to handle this superboss ahead of time. This is one way of adding challenge to Pokemon, and it's great postgame content too! I really wish it wasn't temporary... If this is a preview of what the Isle of Armor offers, then I just went from "meh" to "whoa".

One last idea: A future game or offline mode could have you fight raid bosses with four of your own Pokemon, adding that much depth to the team planning phase. Now you have to plot out four Pokemon instead of just one! I really, really, hope Game Freak doesn't chuck the whole thing out when gen 9 comes around, as there's fantastic potential for the series here.
I would expect Raids to stick. It's a big part of Go and they likely want it to be the same here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey a raid fight that's actually challenging and interesting. They need to have more of these in the game, espicially the DLCs. I did the match last night with a group from the Era discord group, though I can still see ways we could make our team more optimal (Have a Dynamax pokemon that can set up the Rain and Set up Grassy Terrain to cancel out Mewtwo's Psychic Terrain and Sun from Max Flare, reducing the damage input he's giving out.) The same problem from before though with Barriers super restricting what moves can be useful still rears it's face. Look, I understand blocking cheese strats like Perish Song. But so many interesting Status Moves are just made completely redundant due to Barriers Blocking them or the raid typing wiping way the stat boost/reflect/barrier instantly, leaving most status moves to only ever being used Turn 1 by a Prankster Grimmsnarl (or other Prankster user) at best.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hey a raid fight that's actually challenging and interesting. They need to have more of these in the game, espicially the DLCs. I did the match last night with a group from the Era discord group, though I can still see ways we could make our team more optimal (Have a Dynamax pokemon that can set up the Rain and Set up Grassy Terrain to cancel out Mewtwo's Psychic Terrain and Sun from Max Flare, reducing the damage input he's giving out.) The same problem from before though with Barriers super restricting what moves can be useful still rears it's face. Look, I understand blocking cheese strats like Perish Song. But so many interesting Status Moves are just made completely redundant due to Barriers Blocking them or the raid typing wiping way the stat boost/reflect/barrier instantly, leaving most status moves to only ever being used Turn 1 by a Prankster Grimmsnarl (or other Prankster user) at best.
I can imagine the Legendary raids in the Crown Tundra pack will be equally as challenging

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine the Legendary raids in the Crown Tundra pack will be equally as challenging

Hopefully we get some Mythical ones as well. If only for their unique abilities opening up further potential.

Darkrai will be doing it's best to send your team into a silent sleep, so bring some Insomnia users along with you.
Meloetta swaps between it's 2 forms every turn, so keep on what move you need to use.
If Megearna get's an early KO, it's Soul Heart is going to scale it out of control, so make sure no one faints in this encounter.

If they don't want people getting too many Mythicals they can just make it so you can't catch them (Although I still feel the Mewtwo raid should have let you get a Mewtwo. The raid rewards were fairly simple all in all. Just a lot of candy and treasures to sell for money (It is a lot though, about 10x what you get from a standard raid, but still. Standard Raids let you actually catch the pokemon, so they have more interesting rewards just on that alone).

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I am this close to lose it with the Mewtwo raids. People are really making the worst choices here.

-Yes, I am aware you may love your Inteleon, but please stop bringing your Chihuahua into a Rottweiler fight.
-For the love of god, don't use recoil or recharge moves.
-More likely than not you'll need to use healing items
-Status moves are a thing you can use, who knew.
-STOP.BRINGING.ZACIAN.
-This may sound weird, but you can bring Pokémon that are defensive for once.

It would be fun with a team of people that know what are doing, but my 10 attempts so far have resulted only in frustration.

edit: STOP brining Marshadow too. It dies to a breeze (or a Max Mindstorm)

Last edited: