• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably worth waiting a day or two on the Mewtwo raids with randos, assuming by then people know to bring something serious and not flex with random shinies lol.

It's funny that they seemed to tailor its moveset to completely dunk on Zacian and Zamazenta lol. They still do solid damage if they can survive, but good luck.

Might be worth bringing a supportive Pokemon with screens and Life Dew or something.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread to give more visibility to the event in where we could aggregate all the tips to beat Mewtwo.

www.resetera.com

Pokémon Sword/Shield is currently hosting the most difficult fight in the entire franchise : good luck trainers ! [+tips sharing]

At the occasion of Pokemon Day, a special Raid Event is taking place in Pokémon Sword/Shield : Mewtwo So yeah, we know pretty well this big boy so why is it the hardest fight of the entire franchise ? I'll let Sceptile explain it with its own words : To sum it up : - Lvl 100, probably EV...

I already put some of the advice given in the thread, but feel free to tell me if I missed some.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
Saw the Mewtwo in my feed yesterday and thought someone was hacking the game lol

Gave Mewtwo a shot with a random group, used my maxed out Gengar for it. It died, didn't even stand a chance, complete OHKO. Then, it bulked up as it swept the rest of the team. It was insane.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to catch the Kanto starters in one sitting or are they rotated in and out depending on the time of the day? Also how does the game know which Raids to update without going online?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any downside to getting a Pokémon to level 100 with exp candies (outside of having to manually EV train them afterwards)? I have an absolute load of them, and I wouldn't mind trying this raid.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any downside to getting a Pokémon to level 100 with exp candies (outside of having to manually EV train them afterwards)? I have an absolute load of them, and I wouldn't mind trying this raid.

Not any more, no. It used to be that EVs only applied at level up, but now they're immediate so it's fine to do.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to catch the Kanto starters in one sitting or are they rotated in and out depending on the time of the day? Also how does the game know which Raids to update without going online?
You need to update your raids by getting the wild area news under Mystery Gift, which requires going online but doesn't seem to require NSO.

Raids are random and reset each day or when you clear out all your currently active ones.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
You need to update your raids by getting the wild area news under Mystery Gift, which requires going online but doesn't seem to require NSO.

Raids are random and reset each day or when you clear out all your currently active ones.

Lol I literally can't even attempt to catch the Kanto starters because I'm stuck on a toxricity raid because the NPCs are useless to everyone. Is there any way around this?

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
So how do you decide what move sets to go with for best results? Anyone have a simple guide on EV training and which ones to train on certain Pokémon's.

Info for these Reshiram, Lunala, Zekrom, Traded away my Poipoles I picked up in GTS to grab these.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone wanting a free Kanto starter you just have to sign up to Pokemon home (I did on my iPhone) and you're able to choose one. It's also free at the moment.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
So how do you decide what move sets to go with for best results? Anyone have a simple guide on EV training and which ones to train on certain Pokémon's.

Info for these Reshiram, Lunala, Zekrom, Traded away my Poipoles I picked up in GTS to grab these.
There's a full guide video on EV training by Poketips (15 minute vid) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkQTuXld9PY

The method I use to EV train is Poke jobs on the Rotom PC in the poke center and spoofing the Switch's clock. I believe it is the fastest method.

To know which stat to EV train depends on how you will use the pokemon. If you will primarily use them in max raids and want them to hit as hard as possible, then max EV train either their Attack, or Special Attack. If you want to min-max, you may also need to use Mints to change the pokemon's nature if needed.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
For some reason my Wild Area only has a single raid, and it's a Mewtwo one. It's been like this since two days ago. What the fuck?
Unless it's a rare beam or a wishing piece generated one, you can just join another person's raid to make it disappear and get a new set of raids.
Still sucks that there's no option to skip the raid, people that don't change the date and/or can't connect are stuck with an impossible to beat den for the whole day.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Unless it's a rare beam or a wishing piece generated one, you can just join another person's raid to make it disappear and get a new set of raids.
Still sucks that there's no option to skip the raid, people that don't change the date and/or can't connect are stuck with an impossible to beat den for the whole day.
Oh, thank God. That worked. Thank you!

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Anybody else bothered by the lack of a Hall Of Fame after you beat the champion? I really liked how it gave each member of your winning team a little moment to shine. I'm really bummed they took that out.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely insane day 1 for me.

Still have 3 games to go, but broke 1800 for the first time ever

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
There's a full guide video on EV training by Poketips (15 minute vid) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkQTuXld9PY

The method I use to EV train is Poke jobs on the Rotom PC in the poke center and spoofing the Switch's clock. I believe it is the fastest method.

To know which stat to EV train depends on how you will use the pokemon. If you will primarily use them in max raids and want them to hit as hard as possible, then max EV train either their Attack, or Special Attack. If you want to min-max, you may also need to use Mints to change the pokemon's nature if needed.

Thanks for this will check it on my commute.

IHATEMEWTWO!

Have had several fortunate close calls and a ton of grind out close calls that just didn't go our way. Those grind out close calls are frustrating as all have come just as we need one tap to push him over, It always ends on a guy who decides to heal instead of attack.

Lunala w/Assault Shield is damn tank.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
<--- Wants to use this tournament to test some modifications he made to his rain team in order to keep up with the meta.

<--- Proceeds to run into not a single Duraludon in 16 games.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yeah, Duraludon's largely been gone since Togekiss took over.

Figures. There goes Seismitoad's right to exist.

True enough, there's more Togekiss than when I last played. And Togekiss was already everywhere then. Also expected to see some Incineroar, but the cat is as much of a no-show as Duraludon. And for some reason Ferrothorn is back, which I already thought extinct and only a minor factor to plan for.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So Grimmsnarl really comes in clutch in these Mewtwo Max Raid battles. I got a Prankster Gigantamax one earlier this week, and maxed out it's HP EVs and it was able to eat majority of Mewtwo's attacks. I know it's a long shot, but if it can get Aura Veil as a move tutor move in the expansion, it'd just be perfect.

Admittedly a lot of RNG comes into play too because it's a coinflip if Mewtwo will use Brick Break or not. In my last match it only did it once.

Also I find launching off a taunt at the start of the battle to be worth it because I had a bad run in where Mewtwo kept stacking Bulk Ups and then started one-shotting everyone.

Remember, don't bring:

Dark-types (It has Fighting Moves)
Rock/Steel types (It has Fighting/Fire/Ground Moves)

It also has boosting moves such as Bulk Up and Nasty Plot

Bring Ghost-types. Marshadow is a good but risky shout due to its Fighting-type but can steal boosts. Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma are good shouts

I also had a partner today who was kind of dead weight because he brought in a Toxtricity only for Mewtwo to naturally use both Psychic and Ground moves. I get the feeling they were hoping to use Stun Shock at some point, but they kept getting knocked out.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Okay, so biggest pet peeve of these Max Raid battles is people not bothering to heal their Pokemon. Like, I get RNG is a factor when crits happen, but there are times when you're obviously not going to survive the next turn but you got for the attack anyway rather than healing.​

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Switch Up to help me shiny hunt while I worked on more important stuff and it's working really well for. Got two shiny Rookidee's before I went to bed and then I woke up to a Shiny Honedge.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I bought a Switch Up to help me shiny hunt while I worked on more important stuff and it's working really well for. Got two shiny Rookidee's before I went to bed and then I woke up to a Shiny Honedge.

I've also debated this but in the end, it's so easy to find shiny raid battles that I abstained from buying it.

That and it costs $70 AUD.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty new to Pokemon in general, never really hooked me until this game. Got the strategy guide and been reading up on base stats and individual values and all that.

I'm still playing through the main story. Should I essentially save all my consumables that increase stats or the items that give new skills until the end game?

for a Pokemon that has a blue stat, is it worth using those items to increase that since it's the "weak" stat or is that a waste?

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty new to Pokemon in general, never really hooked me until this game. Got the strategy guide and been reading up on base stats and individual values and all that.

I'm still playing through the main story. Should I essentially save all my consumables that increase stats or the items that give new skills until the end game?

for a Pokemon that has a blue stat, is it worth using those items to increase that since it's the "weak" stat or is that a waste?

You don't have to care about any of that at all to beat the main campaign. You can use anything you want with any stat configurations. That stuff is only relevant if you want to get into competitive Pokemon; I'd recommend beating the game first before thinking too hard on it but if you want to hedge your bets and be 'good' in case you decide you want in, read into rerolling the Legendaries when you get the chance to catch them for good stats.

Otherwise, don't worry and feel free to use any resources you run into while beating the game including the technical records that give your Pokemon new moves.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Can I upload a pokemon from Shield into Home then send it to Let's Go? I've been needing a hitmonchan to finish the pokedex since that game came out haha.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Okay from trial and error yesterday facing Mewtwo, I've found the best success I've had is when the team is composed of Two Prankster Pokemon (Grimmsnarl, Sableye) and two heavy hitters. Hardest part about Mewtwo is when it starts stacking its buffs, so being able to mitigate that right off the bat with Screens and either Thunder Wave or Taunt is loads of help.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
So I still don't understand the stamp system. Every time I look in there I actually can't click on any of the requests. I'll see like "I want to swap cards!" Thing but that's it. Do you have to be in the same area and then go find that person or something?