• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I got a copy of Sword and just started it up last night - definitely better than I expected in pure Pokemon gameplay and animations and stuff. Like, playing fetch with Togepi? Incredibly precious. There's clearly a lot of cut corners as far as the actual content goes, which is too bad, because I think it might be my favorite Pokemon region since Sinnoh. But I don't regret diving in.

My one major criticism, though: what the fuck is Purrloin doing on its hind legs?

QIsQCSi.png

Evidently it's been like this since Gen VI? I don't think I've seen one in 3D before. This is immensely distressing. Who should I contact about getting this fixed?
It was like that in the gen 5 anime and manga as well.

Deleted member 33082

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Started playing Battle Stadium doubles a couple of days ago (using Sejun Park's team) and I'm already in Ultra Ball tier! Surprised myself.

That said, is anyone having trouble connecting their Switch to the internet now? Getting a DNS name resolution error, but all oher devices are working just fine

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Battle Stadium doubles a couple of days ago (using Sejun Park's team) and I'm already in Ultra Ball tier! Surprised myself.

That said, is anyone having trouble connecting their Switch to the internet now? Getting a DNS name resolution error, but all oher devices are working just fine
I believe the Nintendo network is currently having issues.

Deleted member 33082

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I believe the Nintendo network is currently having issues.
Oh that explains it, thanks!

Another question since I'm around, anyone playing doubles online, what source do you use to find good rental teams?
Been using Sejun Park's team with Dracozolt and Passimian and it's a lot of fun, but been meaning to try other ones

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man I'm really excited about this Extreme Speed Singles tournament. Sounds like a really fun and good format.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Woah that's amazing! Do you mean Battle Stadium online, or the offline game version? If you're in Ultra Ball tier online than wow that's impressive! I've played like 90 battles and only in Rank 8. I'm really happy though. I'm not using a super high tier team.

My team right now is:

Grimmsnarl
Vinnaluxe (both are pretty top tier)

Durant
Gyrados
Hawlucha
and my favorite: GREEDENT

Greedent is fantasic! It is so much fun getting Ws with him. I think it really catches people off guard. But he is a SOLID all around lead.

I have him with: Belly Drum (6-UP ATK) , Facade (Double damage if Status'd), Superpower (to hit the many 'mon with Fighting Super Effective) and Crunch (to hit Ghost types with a Dark move). I use a Sitrus Berry so he restores health at 50% and then Cheek Pouch. So if I Belly Drum on the first move, and he takes no damage, the Hail from Vanieluxe (whom I usually pair him with) will restore his health back to 100% after chip damage (obviously if no one attacks him in turn 1). This would also work well in a Sandstorm.

So after Belly Drum you have max attack and you're almost guaranteed to kill anything in OHKO with just a Normal move (which is effective against everything except Ghost, Rock, and Steel(?)).

With a Normal, Fighting, and Dark moves EVERYTHING is guaranteed to be covered for effective damage. And Greedent is a great Dynamax user too I think. His DMax Normal move gets everyone Speed down, and Max Guard is great for stalling out other DMax users, and Crunch will take down the many Ghost types that are in Doubles right now.

... I think the best part about him is it discourages anyone from using Trick Room. If you Trick Room on Turn 1 after Belly Drum you are giving him first turn with 6-UP ATK and you're going to be in a world of hurt. With Greedent in DMAX form he has even more HP and can tank out like 3-4 turns, it's nuts. I really really like using him!

Deleted member 33082

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Woah that's amazing! Do you mean Battle Stadium online, or the offline game version? If you're in Ultra Ball tier online than wow that's impressive! I've played like 90 battles and only in Rank 8. I'm really happy though. I'm not using a super high tier team.

My team right now is:

Grimmsnarl
Vinnaluxe (both are pretty top tier)

Durant
Gyrados
Hawlucha
and my favorite: GREEDENT

Greedent is fantasic! It is so much fun getting Ws with him. I think it really catches people off guard. But he is a SOLID all around lead.

I have him with: Belly Drum (6-UP ATK) , Facade (Double damage if Status'd), Superpower (to hit the many 'mon with Fighting Super Effective) and Crunch (to hit Ghost types with a Dark move). I use a Sitrus Berry so he restores health at 50% and then Cheek Pouch. So if I Belly Drum on the first move, and he takes no damage, the Hail from Vanieluxe (whom I usually pair him with) will restore his health back to 100% after chip damage (obviously if no one attacks him in turn 1). This would also work well in a Sandstorm.

So after Belly Drum you have max attack and you're almost guaranteed to kill anything in OHKO with just a Normal move (which is effective against everything except Ghost, Rock, and Steel(?)).

With a Normal, Fighting, and Dark moves EVERYTHING is guaranteed to be covered for effective damage. And Greedent is a great Dynamax user too I think. His DMax Normal move gets everyone Speed down, and Max Guard is great for stalling out other DMax users, and Crunch will take down the many Ghost types that are in Doubles right now.

... I think the best part about him is it discourages anyone from using Trick Room. If you Trick Room on Turn 1 after Belly Drum you are giving him first turn with 6-UP ATK and you're going to be in a world of hurt. With Greedent in DMAX form he has even more HP and can tank out like 3-4 turns, it's nuts. I really really like using him!

Nice!
Never even heard of Greedent till now :D

And yes Ultra Ball online. Never played competitive Pokemon before, but been watching a lot of tournaments and content online recently, guess I did manage to absorb something. Though it still feels like I'm winging every move I make..
I fully anticipated getting thrashed for a while, but I started off with a 7-0 in the lower tiers instead, and now I'm 19-7 I believe overall.

This is the team I'm using:

sejun-wci.jpg

Fast overall and untold damage coming from the likes of Passimian, Dracozolt and Darmanitan. Of course it's on the fragile side, and I don't really know how to deal with Trick Room.
Of course I do kinda suck and pretty much very game something surprises me (wasted two electric Dynamax moves on a Manectric cause I had no idea how Lightning Rod worked).

The team was made at the beginning of the format, but I feel there are some good mons against the current heavyweights (I had Dracozolt one shot Gygamax Lapras in one of my matches, and Passimian is good vs Incineroar)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm really excited about this Extreme Speed Singles tournament. Sounds like a really fun and good format.

What mon are you going to use for it? I'm going to go with Sylveon with the Hyper Voice/Hyper Beam combo, decided the Yawn Set with Fake Tears is going to be the one to play with to deal with those defensive mon builds.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
What mon are you going to use for it? I'm going to go with Sylveon with the Hyper Voice/Hyper Beam combo, decided the Yawn Set with Fake Tears is going to be the one to play with to deal with those defensive mon builds.
I'm still expiermenting.

I really like Cloyster right now to stand on his own. He uses Shell Smash with a focus sash to survive Turn 1. In Turn 2 he has 2x Speed and 2x Attack. He is extremely likely to get off the first move (Unless he gets sucker punched or Priority'd) and then OHKO with his Skill Link + Multi hit move. He can at least down 2-3 Pokemon that way before he eventually gets out priority'd by someone.

We'll see! It's excited to have to figure out guys who are good outside of Dynamax in Singles. I've only been playing VGC for two months and have learned alot about Doubles, but have no expierence in Singles.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still expiermenting.

I really like Cloyster right now to stand on his own. He uses Shell Smash with a focus sash to survive Turn 1. In Turn 2 he has 2x Speed and 2x Attack. He is extremely likely to get off the first move (Unless he gets sucker punched or Priority'd) and then OHKO with his Skill Link + Multi hit move. He can at least down 2-3 Pokemon that way before he eventually gets out priority'd by someone.

We'll see! It's excited to have to figure out guys who are good outside of Dynamax in Singles. I've only been playing VGC for two months and have learned alot about Doubles, but have no expierence in Singles.

From what I know, Beware of Sableye, it can Prankster and Encore to trap you into a stat boosting move, and then use Disable to make you struggle. There's also Trick variants with Choice Items, Recover versions, Night Shade versions. You would need to have a Dark Type to stop it's Prankster problems (Which Cloyster isn't) so beware that one.

Mimikyu is one to keep an eye on, Galarian Darmanitan, Dragapult, Galarian Corsola, Dracovish, Aegislash and Corviknight are quite strong contenders, the Recharge moves like Hyper Beam, Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn and likes are fairly good because if you one shot the recharge doesn't matter.

Crustle sees a bit of use because it has Sturdy built into it (So it can use Shell Smash and have a White Herb to remain defensive) and then hit absurdly hard with Rock Wrecker. With Rock Blast, might be a better option than Cloyster for having similar roles...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused about the extreme speed singles. At first I thought it was going to be 6v6 No Dynamax singles, but when I looked at the rules again in the game it said Pokemon selected: 1. And then in Showdown the rules they have is simply 1v1, it just autoslecets the first Pokemon in your party.

That's stupid right, there no way it's just 1v1. It's gotta be 6v6 singles, the way I understood it right?

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused about the extreme speed singles. At first I thought it was going to be 6v6 No Dynamax singles, but when I looked at the rules again in the game it said Pokemon selected: 1. And then in Showdown the rules they have is simply 1v1, it just autoslecets the first Pokemon in your party.

That's stupid right, there no way it's just 1v1. It's gotta be 6v6 singles, the way I understood it right?
It's 1 vs 1, you have 10 seconds to choose an attack. It's like quick draw.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Got a shiny Rowlet sent to me through GTS when I was just looking for a regular one, was like wow happy as... but now every time I get Popplio and Litten sent to me they're just regular and I'm disappointed lol. :(

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was just checking out what max raids I have today and I just ran into a Rapidash raid in my Pokemon Sword game. I thought that was a Shield exclusive raid. Is there some kind of new event going on? I got a food tin as a reward for beating it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's basically 1v1 showdowns, 5 minute matches, 10 seconds to chose moves and no Dynamaxing.

Shame because I think bring 3, select 1 would make it more fun with some counterpicks. At present, expect Dragapult, Mimikyu and probably Sableye (At least Imprison+Transform Mew is banned)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
A new raid is up that allows you to catch versions exclusives from the version opposite yours and drops items that differ between versions like the apples and fossils.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Another update, and still no fix for the Future Sight glitch that's been present for generations. Why can't these random updates be the one to finally put this old glitch to rest?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The new den is really cool, I'll probably be farming it for the items even though I have both versions.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
At this point, I just need some Gigantimax Pokemon to complete my Sword collection, and I have some questions:

Is there a good way to get a specific Gigantimax raid to spawn, without having to wait for it to be a featured event Pokemon? For example, I missed out when Butterfree was featured, and it doesn't show up that much right now.

Why should I join a raid battle for anything other than a Gigantimax Pokemon? Farm exp candies?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I've been finishing up my sun Pokedex so that I can bring stuff over to Home and Sword. I'm just missing a Porygon 2 which could be an easy trade and back, but the last thing I need is a lunala. I have my second solgaleo but the GTS is inundated with hacked lunalas from YouTube spammers and I want to be able to take it to Home.

Anybody able to help me out with these trades sometime?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I already put 250 hrs into this game. Those darn raids are just too addictive
I'm at 160.hours and I don't even have a full Pokedex. Training and raising competitive guys for Battle Stadium is so darn fun.

I'm at 100 matches and 41 wins for doubles. I'm running what I think is a rather low tier team, so I'm pretty happy with myself. I'm in Masterball tier, I think there's no way I make it to Ultra with this team, but it's all good, I'm having fun.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Hey guys, I'm at 399 in my pokedex and just need to get the Zacian entry. Would someone be willing to trade me their Zacian briefly for the entry? I can give you my Zamazenta as collateral. Hoping to get a respected member of the community for this, as I'm quite attached to my Zamazenta, and don't want to lose him :)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I'm at 399 in my pokedex and just need to get the Zacian entry. Would someone be willing to trade me their Zacian briefly for the entry? I can give you my Zamazenta as collateral. Hoping to get a respected member of the community for this, as I'm quite attached to my Zamazenta, and don't want to lose him :)

I'm at 399 as well, but the last one I need is Zacian, good news, I got Sword, bad news, I self challenged myself to get it in a Beast Ball, that could take awhile.

Well, here's my end results in the Extreme Speed Tournament.

uRE8oUd.jpg

34-11 overall, so, did very well.

I did scum it and used Sableye alongside my Sylveon though, helpful because the 1700s used a lot of Steel Types with Iron Head. Togekiss was the bane of my existance getting 4 of those 11 wins against me.

Also, what's up with Perish Song in this competition, furthermore, what was up with that one trainer that was running Eviolite Perish Song Brionne?

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Just got a Zamazenta with a best friend ribbon off Home for a Pichu. I feel bad, like the person who put it up there did it by accident or was trying to do one of those obnoxious listings for a common Pokémon at an impossible level.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea, I don't know why they still haven't figured out how to apply the same damn skin tone and hair color variation to NPCs

I'm really hoping that movie closer to EPD Tokyo improves them

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an established way on how to best use the old games as resources now that Home is out

ie I'm set up across four generations to catch/breed/get certain moves and then sending them up the cycle.

Spending the majority of my time in Platinum right now, but need to find out which of the in-between gens might be best for whatever task.

Gen 5 (White 2) has become more a Bank than actual Bank now, at least for me,as it's a halfway house for three of my games.

Also related, did Friend Safaris in Gen 6 see an uptick?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I don't get why they keep doing that.
It's not like it's a complicated development! So, we have to conclude that having clones running around is an artistic choice.

And I don't get it.
it's very weird. i get that it's early and this isn't complete but on the other hand, this is what you show off? four of the same character model? multiple times? yeesh

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Just wanted to say that I completed the Pokedex two days ago! Second time this has happened! First time was with HeartGold! Only reason it really happened was cause of Pokemon Home and some very nice people here who helped me with trade evolutions! I'm so happy!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Just wanted to say that I completed the Pokedex two days ago! Second time this has happened! First time was with HeartGold! Only reason it really happened was cause of Pokemon Home and some very nice people here who helped me with trade evolutions! I'm so happy!
Nice! I just finished it last night as well. Only done Let's Go before that. After all these years of playing Pokemon haha.

question~ how is a pokemon's region determined? by console region in settings or by game cart/download region? Or language setting when you make a new file? similarly are "ENG" versions the same across countries? like if I get a friend from New Zealands pokemon is it considered the same as Canada etc?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder trades take forever now on the app. Between that and never being able to get into Max raids or have people join mine, Pokemon online features are the worst they've ever been.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
As graphics become more nuanced, such decisions become harder and harder to forgive. That decision made sense back when the games were still 2D, but now, it just looks lazy
Procedural designs would look worse and stand out less. If they want to change things either keep it the way it is with the duplicates less frequent and more classes for things like evil teams, or come up with more unique designs for the number of trainers in the game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Procedural designs would look worse and stand out less. If they want to change things either keep it the way it is with the duplicates less frequent and more classes for things like evil teams, or come up with more unique designs for the number of trainers in the game.
I disagree one the procedural aspect. that happens when the pool of options is small. trainer classes, at most, should be defined by their attire, so things like skin tone (there's already a selection of that), hair color (again, there's a selection), and hair style (harder to do) can be shared by nearly all non-unique NPCs. and they don't have to be randomly generated, but hand picked for the sake of scene variety

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Procedural designs would look worse and stand out less.

I'm not even sure procedural designs zre needed.

There are, what 100 NPCs in the game?
Changing hair colors and skin tones would go a long way, be a huge step forward in aesthetics, and take one hour at best to change by hand (with approval from the art director!).

Going further (height and weight, body type) would indeed need automatic work. But again you're looking at 100 models, so generate them and then check them one by one to see it the result is acceptable.

It's a weird design choice is what I'm saying.