• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
3577586-6669199292-camp_.jpg

NEW LOCATIONS AND TIDBITS FROM THE PREVIEWS
  • Slumbering Weald
  • Starting Village is Called Wedgehurst
  • Someone run into a couple different types of new Pokémon, which they unfortunately can't talk about.
  • Cou can also have their nicknames rated, rename them, or even delete moves at the Pokémon Center
  • On the way to Magnolia's location, someone encounter seven different Pokémon in the wild. They can't say any of the creatures aside from Yamper
  • nearest major city: Motostoke.
  • The Wild Area feels large from the very beginning. In this part of Galar, the camera swings behind their character and they can rotate it 360 degrees.
  • Wild Area features Pokémon with max IVs and egg moves demarcated by a yellow aura
  • Can freely access PC in Wild Area
  • Wild Area has its own currency called Watts which you can exchange for "camping gear, items, and ingredients"; some items exclusive to this
  • Level/Exp scaling seem to be good. Also the Pokémon you fight with gets more Exp

EHF180mWkAESoFa

Last edited:

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Tapsell at Eurogamer said:
The significant difference with the Wild Area is, if you wander into the wrong part of it, you'll discover that the wild Pokémon can now be drastically overlevelled. It's a series first, and it honestly feels like the bravest thing Game Freak has done for a little while. You could always dip your toe into the odd higher-level route on the other side of a city, say, but never get caught in battle with a level 50, third-stage evolution 'mon with your starter and a level 6 Pidgey. In Sword and Shield it has a striking effect. It reminds me of some of the oldest games in the series where there was a real element of intimidation from some areas. Back then this was because of a fear of the unknown, and a spot of imagination filling in the blanks, but now it's because seeing a whopping great Pokémon five times your level is enough to intrigue and inspire.

Neat

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
"The significant difference with the Wild Area is, if you wander into the wrong part of it, you'll discover that the wild Pokémon can now be drastically overlevelled."

Wow I can't wait for this.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i am hyped

e: is The Verge article the first time we've seen the Pidove and Onix lines confirmed for the game?

Jun 2, 2019
Taking a quick look through some of them, the "Breath of the wild of pokemon" feels somewhat correct now

Okay, my hype just reached mars. Still one month dammit.

And i don't want to read anyoneusing lazy dev rethoric with Gamefreak anymore.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
All of this sounds good but I think I'm gonna just skim these, I wanna experience this on my own for once in a Pokemon game

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Most Pokémon games start off slow and predictable, with the standard tutorials and a lot of time spent wandering around tall grass so you can catch backup pokémon (or train your starter enough) to take on the first gym leader. None of that really happened

Really hope this is accurate.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds really good! Only a month left...

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Running around with friends in the Wild Area has to be the coolest feeling in Pokémon in a very long time

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
NEW LOCATIONS AND TIDBITS FROM THE PREVIEWS

• Slumbering Weald
  • Wedgehurst
  • Someone run into a couple different types of new Pokémon, which they unfortunately can't talk about.
  • You can also have their nicknames rated, rename them, or even delete moves at the Pokémon Center
  • On the way to Magnolia's location, someone encounter seven different Pokémon in the wild. They can't say any of the creatures aside from Yamper
  • nearest major city: Motostoke.
  • The Wild Area feels large from the very beginning. In this part of Galar, the camera swings behind their character and they can rotate it 360 degrees.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Yet Game Freak has set out to create a new version of pokémon that straddles the line between old and new in many of the same ways Sun and Moon did

This worries me. Sun Moon was called brave and showered with 9s because they kept calling Trials "innovative" but they were basically... not innovative?
Wild Area sounds more interesting than trailers made it out to be though, wandering into the wrong area sounds interesting

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to the GameInformer dude, who tried to evovle Sobble. ^^

Shame it didn't work out.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is the strange thing about Pokemon Sword and Shield. I've written in the past in vague support of the 'bring back the national dex' crowd – my argument has always been that if Pokemon need to be cut, the game should feel a bigger step forwards, battles should look more dynamic and exciting. I have to admit that as I began playing Sword and Shield, those worries melted away. Each charming new species I met would help to make me feel a little better about an older one that might be missing, and the level of polish and charm in the world helps to offset the stale-looking battles, even if I still wish they were more dynamic. Finally, I'm properly excited about this new Pokemon adventure.

This is reassuring (from the VG247 article).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
First rival battle have two pokemon? Well thats a first

I like being able to find overleveled stuff on the wild area as well

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Eurogamer article is whispering some sweet, sweet nothings about the new Pokémon roster.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
A few of the previews mention that they saw a good amount of new Pokemon and Galarian forms that they can't talk about. It's somewhat reassuring for those worried.

Also Swinub and Xatu seem to be confirmed returnees. Not sure if there's more I've missed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The thing about previews saying they saw a bunch of new Pokemon, are they actually sure or do they just think Pokemon they don't know are new?

Give them the benefit of the doubt since a Nintendo rep was probably around to make that distinction

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Some minor tidbits I noticed:
  • Hop uses Wooloo and has three Pokemon in his second battle
  • Lotad is catchable before the second rival battle
  • Xatu is in

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Not watching any more footage, but I'm super excited for this. Still a month away...