• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 2, 2019
As someone who never touched pokemon online ,what made the plaza worse than PSS?

PSS was basically a mmo lite. Seamless, instant online, battling, trading, have enough contact with another player and you can add him to your fríend list. No menus, nothing. Everything located in the touch screen

Festival plaza is menu under menu under menu. Is slow, clunky, poorly designed

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never touched pokemon online ,what made the plaza worse than PSS?

PSS was on the bottom screen, with 3 seperate pages. You had access to O Powers, which gives other people boosts in areas, which gave it like a community feel. You could also challenge or trade on the bottom screen without pausing. It was very intuitive to use, intuitive to link to the Pokemon website and complete challenges GF set out for you to do.

Festival Plaza was the exact opposite of that. Powering up facilities made no sense, it was entirely unintuitive, to the point that people failed the first challenge that GF assigned, because linking to a website was done in a way that wasn't obvious. It simply did not make any sense, which is at odds with how the game explains shit you already know like how to jump down a ledge without breaking your neck.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am really excited about the online implementation.

It might be the best the series had and with the QoL features regarding breeding, it should open the door to a lot of people to try and enjoy online battles.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
That Gyarados in the water looks like garbage, add some splashes around it

Also the wild area looks so empty I hope I'm wrong

If Pidgey is in the game again I'll go grab my shotgun

Also pleaaaaaase tell me there's at least 100 new pokémon.

Jan 16, 2019
That Gyarados in the water looks like garbage, add some splashes around it

Also the wild area looks so empty I hope I'm wrong

If Pidgey is in the game again I'll go grab my shotgun

Also pleaaaaaase tell me there's at least 100 new pokémon.
The reason of why it look empty is because the draw distant is very small (maybe because they don't want to load many things which make the fps unstable or because they don't want us to see too far which might end up spoiler something they don't want us to know), I hope GF change that in the actual game.

Robbin__

May 26, 2018
Hopefully it allows for the editing of all three things (EV, IV and Nature)
EV has been editable for a long time now
IV can be maxed individually or all at once since gen 7 (which fulfills most needs except Hidden Powers and certain speed adjusts)
Non-hidden abilities can also be switched around
All that's left really is the ability to change natures (or even better, detach the stat multiplier from natures)

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I think the wild area mostly looks empty because insofar we have not seen a single Galar introduced Pokemon within it. What I'm getting at is that since its likely that the New Pokemon and Variants are the only ones who will show up as an overworld encounter after being faced in a random encounter whatever prerelease material we have so far is the result of that, as in a whole lot wasn't shown off because the unlock requirements for a majority of the dex weren't fulfilled yet.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EV has been editable for a long time now
IV can be maxed individually or all at once since gen 7 (which fulfills most needs except Hidden Powers and certain speed adjusts)
Non-hidden abilities can also be switched around
All that's left really is the ability to change natures (or even better, detach the stat multiplier from natures)
IV maxed with breeding. That's not "accessible" by standards yet because that is the worst damn thing for me to do to manipulate stats.

Jan 16, 2019
I think the wild area mostly looks empty because insofar we have not seen a single Galar introduced Pokemon within it. What I'm getting at is that since its likely that the New Pokemon and Variants are the only ones who will show up as an overworld encounter after being faced in a random encounter whatever prerelease material we have so far is the result of that, as in a whole lot wasn't shown off because the unlock requirements for a majority of the dex weren't fulfilled yet.
I don't think it's that complicated, they probably just don't want to let us see too far which end up might spoil some Pokemon they haven't reveal yet.
It's why they send the same video to every site, unless there is the preview stated clearly that the draw distance in game is very small.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be soooo fun when every Pokémon from a species is the same, zzzzz.

I don't see what's so bad about RNG mechanics in a RPG, it's basically a core aspect of the genre. And breeding is part of the Pokémon franchise as well.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see what's so bad about RNG mechanics in a RPG, it's basically a core aspect of the genre. And breeding is part of the Pokémon franchise as well.
It needs to be improved.

No one is saying to remove natures/iv etc but just like a moveset, you should be able to toggle it. Right now, breeding is not a good process at all.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It needs to be improved.

No one is saying to remove natures/iv etc but just like a moveset, you should be able to toggle it. Right now, breeding is not a good process at all.

i talked with a coworker about how they can change nature and we thought about "moods" so actions that you do with your pokemon will change its mood so it will be something variable and not set like natures.

i think that that pokemon who gets hungry and changes could be a hint to this but what do i know

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that complicated, they probably just don't want to let us see too far which end up might spoil some Pokemon they haven't reveal yet.
It's why they send the same video to every site, unless there is the preview stated clearly that the draw distance in game is very small.
that's giving too much credit with the draw distance idea

Robbin__

May 26, 2018

I don't think they'll be standardizing IVs and EVs for every pokemon
They'll probably just provide an option for ppl to maximize their mons if they want to

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be improved.

I like breeding. If all Pokémon are the same then they feel less unique, there are fewer reasons to trade, they stop feeling special, game gets mechanically less deep by a bit as there are things like low IV starts for Speed being something good for a few Pokémon.

If anything the best way to improve IV to me is to make things like depending on IV, you get some different moves to make that Pokémon focus on these specific stats. Like you get a better coverage or focus in something. You could make more different builds for each Pokémon based on their unique stats. Still make all this more acessible and simple to understand (something like the skill tree in DQXI is a good example of how it could visually work maybe), but I feel like the solution is to refine these systems, not slowly transform the game into a Battle Simulator.

timesolo

Apr 5, 2019
Texas
I'm really excited for the multiplayer. Like, what all can I do with my wife who will be playing alongside me? I have my hopes pretty high up! I jumped to tell her this information. She was a really huge fan of Let's Go Eevee

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with IVs is that they can all be maxed. They should be more like EVs where there's a limit so having different IV spreads actually makes sense. Make it so each Pokémon can have 3 random stats with max IVs, 1 stat at half the maximum and the rest even lower. That way you can preserve the uniqueness to each Pokémon at least.

Oct 27, 2017
PSS was an online system integrated into the main game, basically a bunch of options and info on the bottom screen showing people you'd met online, different options to interact with friends, trading, etc.

Festival Plaza was completely segmented off from the main game and the rules and options were just difficult to figure out. It was a circular path where you could put different tents, with each tent being a different online feature .It just felt like extra work and felt so detached from everything else.
PSS was basically a mmo lite. Seamless, instant online, battling, trading, have enough contact with another player and you can add him to your fríend list. No menus, nothing. Everything located in the touch screen

Festival plaza is menu under menu under menu. Is slow, clunky, poorly designed
PSS was on the bottom screen, with 3 seperate pages. You had access to O Powers, which gives other people boosts in areas, which gave it like a community feel. You could also challenge or trade on the bottom screen without pausing. It was very intuitive to use, intuitive to link to the Pokemon website and complete challenges GF set out for you to do.

Festival Plaza was the exact opposite of that. Powering up facilities made no sense, it was entirely unintuitive, to the point that people failed the first challenge that GF assigned, because linking to a website was done in a way that wasn't obvious. It simply did not make any sense, which is at odds with how the game explains shit you already know like how to jump down a ledge without breaking your neck.
oh wow
Thats such a strange thing to change like for no reason
id think creating an entire new world for online would be more work lol

Oct 25, 2017
My dream for IVs is that they simply get rid of them for stats and reintroduce them for other factors. IVs as they are right now are horrible. They make competitive worse and increase the barrier to entry, and the excuse for them (making Pokémon more unique) doesn't even work. Your Pokémon don't feel unique in your playthrough if the game because it's just hidden numbers, and then you go online and they only feel "unique" in the sense that they're worse than other players. Make IVs affect things players can actually see or understand. Give the models actual size variation, with different IVs giving you a smaller or bigger Pokémon model. Add some sort of modulation to their cries so some can be higher or lower. Add a range of hues/saturation to their colors so they can have some color variation outside of shinies. Stuff like that would go a long way towards improving multiplayer, giving breeding more immediate value, and just making the world feel more fun and alive.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Has it been announnced if it will be possible to use Pokebank for this game? Sun/Moon were awful so I quit them pretty early and didn't even bother to do IV/EV training but I have a lot of stuff from previous gens banked.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has it been announnced if it will be possible to use Pokebank for this game? Sun/Moon were awful so I quit them pretty early and didn't even bother to do IV/EV training but I have a lot of stuff from previous gens banked.

Pretty sure Home is what we're connecting to, which will connect with Bank

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't you aware of the whole Natdex thing? You'll probably be able to transfer your bank stuff to Home and then what's available in Swsh can go to it.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Aren't you aware of the whole Natdex thing? You'll probably be able to transfer your bank stuff to Home and then what's available in Swsh can go to it.
No, after Sun/Moon I pretty much quit keeping up with Pokemon and only played on Showdown. I figure I'll get this and try it out but I'm not interested enough to actually go out and search for info on it.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, after Sun/Moon I pretty much quit keeping up with Pokemon and only played on Showdown. I figure I'll get this and try it out but I'm not interested enough to actually go out and search for info on it.
The game doesn't have every Pokémon coded in it anymore (nor Megas), so you won't be able to transfer everything you want. Home is the new "Pokébank" where you pay a fee and that's where they're saying your Pokémon should be now if they aren't in SWSH's Dex.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it's probably not usable at the start, right? I like to usually run with mono-type teams and ditch my starter as soon as possible so if I could have a level 5 Growlithe/Timburr or something transferred over and start with that I'd prefer it.

Nope, we have no idea when Pokémon home will launch or what the cut Pokémon will do in Home.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
The game doesn't have every Pokémon coded in it anymore (nor Megas), so you won't be able to transfer everything you want. Home is the new "Pokébank" where you pay a fee and that's where they're saying your Pokémon should be now if they aren't in SWSH's Dex.
Oh, my bad. I knew about all the Pokemon not being in but that's not really a big deal to me. I was mainly interested because I already have a lot of fighting/fire types with good egg moves and iv/evs so I'd want to just transfer them over to do online battling as soon as possible. I don't care about the story or single player aspect at all.

Nope, we have no idea when Pokémon home will launch or what the cut Pokémon will do in Home.
Ok, I'm in no rush so that's cool. Thanks for the info.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
My dream for IVs is that they simply get rid of them for stats and reintroduce them for other factors. IVs as they are right now are horrible. They make competitive worse and increase the barrier to entry, and the excuse for them (making Pokémon more unique) doesn't even work. Your Pokémon don't feel unique in your playthrough if the game because it's just hidden numbers, and then you go online and they only feel "unique" in the sense that they're worse than other players. Make IVs affect things players can actually see or understand. Give the models actual size variation, with different IVs giving you a smaller or bigger Pokémon model. Add some sort of modulation to their cries so some can be higher or lower. Add a range of hues/saturation to their colors so they can have some color variation outside of shinies. Stuff like that would go a long way towards improving multiplayer, giving breeding more immediate value, and just making the world feel more fun and alive.
They can't even add all Pokemons and you are asking them to create multiple versions of each? Lol!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person who thinks Pokemon Snap was just kind of overrated? It was a great rental game but even then it lasted like 2 hrs

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of any virtues that may be argued in regards to the random nature of IVs EVs and natures and the uniqueness they may provide, at the end of the day they will always be time gates for competitive battling. While they may have some enjoyment in the beginning or early on, as time passes people get less, and less patient with the process. This occurs in minor way even in games dedicated to their competitive scenes, like MOBAs having long queue times or even some Fighting Game having too many menus to go through (just as examples).

Pokemon's time gates are even more disliked due to being obtrusive, obtuse, random and outright necessary, not to mention the fact that their are multiple layers already piled on each other.

The fact that game freak continues to make small steps forward in this across the span of generations is worrisome espeically for every 2 steps forward their always seems to be 1 step back (lvl limit on bottlecaps, not giving a sufficient EV grind replacement in horde battling).

Thats why at this point Id be totally fine if in online matches they just let me fully allocate all EVs IVs and Natures right then and there. Frankly I dont necessarily like that idea, feels too much like a bandaid but ill totally take it at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
They can't even add all Pokemons and you are asking them to create multiple versions of each? Lol!

Oh I know it'll never happen. That's why it's a dream. Lol. But that's the kinda stuff they'd need to do to fix IVs and keep breeding worthwhile.

I would, or course, be happy to just see IVs gone regardless of whether something worthwhile replaces them or not.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Am I the only person who thinks Pokemon Snap was just kind of overrated? It was a great rental game but even then it lasted like 2 hrs
it doesnt hold up imo
i will never understand why people want a sequel so bad
i can get wanting nice environments and pokemon interaction. but a new pokemon game thats like snap would be super boring

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
it doesnt hold up imo
i can get wanting nice environments and pokemon interaction. but a new pokemon game thats like snap would be super boring
It not holding up is all the more reason to make a sequel then.

But photo mode is still popular in current Japanese games, so I'll be surprised if these games don't have an improved version of the photo thing from Sun/Moon.

Wish other spin-offs like Pinball, Pokkén and Conquest could get this love.
Also yes, give me that Conquest 2 already.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it doesnt hold up imo
I don't want a literal sequel, just a spinoff in the same kind of casual vein that isnt based on combat in anyway. Just exploration and discovery but with lil pokemon

Ive also never played snap lol