• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least GSC/HGSS has the best Kanto because you can just speedrun it instead of having to slog through a boring region like in RBGY and FRLG.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Will be soooo fun when every Pokémon from a species is the same, zzzzz.

I don't see what's so bad about RNG mechanics in a RPG, it's basically a core aspect of the genre. And breeding is part of the Pokémon franchise as well.
IVs are good for making Pokemon more unique in an immersion standpoint and breeding a perfectly optimized Pokemon can be satisfying, but it doesn't translate to versus mode very well because that's more about party composition and exploring as many options for your team rather than committing to only a few Pokemon.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I like how I made that initial post to show that not everyone shares the same opinion and all you "true fans" (glad to know my being here since the beginning means jack shit) come here screaming how Gen V is the best and how dare I not consider it the best thing since sliced bread and how overtly negative and mean comments on the 3DS games are not only good, but how "true fans think" and you all do much more harm to make me hate the Pokémon series than any of the games have done.
Fan and been playing the games since I was 7 when R/B released. Personally, I found the DS generation of Pokemon to be the weakest and most tedious. Pokemon D/P was incredibly slow and tedious. Also the pokemon variety was atrocious. There were 5 fire pokemon to pick from for the entire game, for example. In addition to that, I'd like to point out that they only introduced 78 brand new, original pokemon along with 29 cross gen evos. While I really enjoyed their designs, they are not that far of a stretch from Megas and Regional variants. I'd like to make this comparison because the amount of original pokemon is comparable to Gen 6 and 7 which are raked over the coals for being smaller gens. Also of those Gen 4 original Pokemon, 15 of them were legendaries. It matters because the new Pokemon availability in D/P, especially early on, is small and pathetic as legendary Pokemon are just late game one-off encounters. I found myself constantly running into the same pokemon that I had been running into for 15+ years(geodudes, zubats, tentacools, etc.). Along with a limited pool of Pokemon to pick from for most of the early game. I actually stopped playing Pokemon games for 5 years after D/P. Going from Emerald to Diamond had left me very dissapointed in the franchise for taking out my favorite features(contests and battle frontier). In addition to it feeling like I had outgrown the franchise as it felt like GF was going to keep just spinning its wheels. Gen 6 attracted my interest for a variety of reasons so I decided to play Gen 5 in the lead up. Gen 5 was a lot more snappy but again it ran into the same issues of being very tedious. The encounter rate was awful especially with a limited set of Pokemon(keep in mind as well that while gen 1 and 5 introduced roughly the same amount of normal pokemon they also introduced a bajillion legendary pokemon compared to gen 1's 5). I know this will piss a lot of people off but I found about 2/3 of the Pokemon to be retreads or throwbacks to Gen 1. The concept of 151 brand new pokemon with no old ones returning was a great concept until it felt like they just were releasing the same or similar concepts as Gen 1. Also while there are a lot of good designs and some pokemon such as Galvantula, Chandelure, and Krookodile are among the GOAT. There are also a lot of forgettable designs and typings(Venipede, Basculin, Maractus, Stunfish, Pidove, Patrat, Ducklett) and a lot of controversial ones(Vanilite, Garbodor, Conkeldurr, the monkeys, Gothitelle, Foongus, Alomomola). Finally everyone cites the story as being good. The story is okay at best. Gen 1 and 2 captured the best feeling of a coming of age story intermixed with getting tangled up in a gang and a few mythical pokemon. Gen 3, 4 and 6 is whacky, over the top, anime evil villain domination plot. Gen 5 tries to be deep but the flaws and philosophy are hardly compelling when you're just catching, collecting and boxing pokemon yourself. It is vastly overrated and doesnt nail the landing. Gen 7 has the best story even though the intro is horrid with constantly taking control from the player.

The 3DS ones made huge QoL improvements. We finally got rid of HMs and 4 way movement just as a quick example. The variety of Pokemon available early on was great and a lot more fun of an adventure. A lot less grinding and tedious things. They are flawed themselves but I think they are above the DS titles.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
"entire new world" is giving it way too much credit. the plaza wasn't even that big. if it was a proper hub, it could have been forgiven, but it was shittily designed
The worse part of the Festival Plaza is that its not a shitty version of one old thing but TWO. No one really focuses on this but its basically the shitty version of PSS and Joun Avenue rolled into one, and the latter is a bigger offence then the former cause a proper Online Hub Join Avenue would be amazing. Its why I really hope that North London works like the Wild Area with trainers roaming about and being able to battle 3 or 4 facilities together cause that's basically a giant Join Avenue, sans the shop management.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I like how I made that initial post to show that not everyone shares the same opinion and all you "true fans" (glad to know my being here since the beginning means jack shit) come here screaming how Gen V is the best and how dare I not consider it the best thing since sliced bread and how overtly negative and mean comments on the 3DS games are not only good, but how "true fans think" and you all do much more harm to make me hate the Pokémon series than any of the games have done.
Do you realize the initial hate gen 5 got in the first place? There is a reason why it specifically has had a huge defense force.

Jun 2, 2019
oh wow
Thats such a strange thing to change like for no reason
id think creating an entire new world for online would be more work lol

It is, right? The game experience in Gen 7 is instantly worse because of it if you're used to play online. It's also such a great fit for the series that getting rid of it comes out as GF's worst decision by far.

I really, really hope that the Y-Comm allows for the same kind of experience, getting challenged any time, any place during your playthrough, regardless of your pokémon team or level was awesome.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I am well aware of the hate Gen V received initially. I was against the hate because it was dumb hate for no other reason than nostalgia.
Well yea, and it's the reason for the great gen 5 vs gen 6 war. People that love gen 5 really love gen 5. So the fact that people got made fun of for having it as the beat gen caused a big riff.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yea, and it's the reason for the great gen 5 vs gen 6 war. People that love gen 5 really love gen 5. So the fact that people got made fun of for having it as the beat gen caused a big riff.
Is it? I just think Gen 5 games are great while Gen 6 games aren't that good. Gen 5 x 6 discussion happens exactly because these gens are very different in design in all aspects.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
That Gyarados in the water looks like garbage, add some splashes around it
Nothing will ever be more unsettling than seeing it with its mouth closed

gyarados.png

dontcry.gif

oh wow
Thats such a strange thing to change like for no reason
id think creating an entire new world for online would be more work lol

I think that's part of this apparent need of reinventing the wheel every time they come up with a new game. With most aspects of the games, it's almost as if they were allergic to bringing back a feature introduced in the previous entry, and just improve it, fix its flaws, expand them, it's like they always have to start from scratch.

Of course not everything; I'm still surprised the Amie feature wasn't scrapped by the time ORAS came out, and has actually evolved (apparently) all the way up to this new camping feature.

Jun 2, 2019
I think that's part of this apparent need of reinventing the wheel every time they come up with a new game. With most aspects of the games, it's almost as if they were allergic to bringing back a feature introduced in the previous entry, and just improve it, fix its flaws, expand them, it's like they always have to start from scratch.

Uuuuuh not really? Sure they try to give every gen its own flavor, but when they want something to stick they're very adamant with it and apply incremental improvements. Online play is one of those things, wich makes the Festival Plaza even more baffling than it already is.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Fan and been playing the games since I was 7 when R/B released. Personally, I found the DS generation of Pokemon to be the weakest and most tedious. Pokemon D/P was incredibly slow and tedious. Also the pokemon variety was atrocious. There were 5 fire pokemon to pick from for the entire game, for example. In addition to that, I'd like to point out that they only introduced 78 brand new, original pokemon along with 29 cross gen evos. While I really enjoyed their designs, they are not that far of a stretch from Megas and Regional variants. I'd like to make this comparison because the amount of original pokemon is comparable to Gen 6 and 7 which are raked over the coals for being smaller gens. Also of those Gen 4 original Pokemon, 15 of them were legendaries. It matters because the new Pokemon availability in D/P, especially early on, is small and pathetic as legendary Pokemon are just late game one-off encounters. I found myself constantly running into the same pokemon that I had been running into for 15+ years(geodudes, zubats, tentacools, etc.). Along with a limited pool of Pokemon to pick from for most of the early game. I actually stopped playing Pokemon games for 5 years after D/P. Going from Emerald to Diamond had left me very dissapointed in the franchise for taking out my favorite features(contests and battle frontier). In addition to it feeling like I had outgrown the franchise as it felt like GF was going to keep just spinning its wheels. Gen 6 attracted my interest for a variety of reasons so I decided to play Gen 5 in the lead up. Gen 5 was a lot more snappy but again it ran into the same issues of being very tedious. The encounter rate was awful especially with a limited set of Pokemon(keep in mind as well that while gen 1 and 5 introduced roughly the same amount of normal pokemon they also introduced a bajillion legendary pokemon compared to gen 1's 5). I know this will piss a lot of people off but I found about 2/3 of the Pokemon to be retreads or throwbacks to Gen 1. The concept of 151 brand new pokemon with no old ones returning was a great concept until it felt like they just were releasing the same or similar concepts as Gen 1. Also while there are a lot of good designs and some pokemon such as Galvantula, Chandelure, and Krookodile are among the GOAT. There are also a lot of forgettable designs and typings(Venipede, Basculin, Maractus, Stunfish, Pidove, Patrat, Ducklett) and a lot of controversial ones(Vanilite, Garbodor, Conkeldurr, the monkeys, Gothitelle, Foongus, Alomomola). Finally everyone cites the story as being good. The story is okay at best. Gen 1 and 2 captured the best feeling of a coming of age story intermixed with getting tangled up in a gang and a few mythical pokemon. Gen 3, 4 and 6 is whacky, over the top, anime evil villain domination plot. Gen 5 tries to be deep but the flaws and philosophy are hardly compelling when you're just catching, collecting and boxing pokemon yourself. It is vastly overrated and doesnt nail the landing. Gen 7 has the best story even though the intro is horrid with constantly taking control from the player.

The 3DS ones made huge QoL improvements. We finally got rid of HMs and 4 way movement just as a quick example. The variety of Pokemon available early on was great and a lot more fun of an adventure. A lot less grinding and tedious things. They are flawed themselves but I think they are above the DS titles.

I've never understood what's so slow and tedious about D/P. Like what were y'all doing or how long did it take for you to finish it? Pearl is the game I've finished the fastest, ever. And what if there were 5 Fire Type Pokémon, or 4 Ice Type Pokémon, you just picked any other thing you had in hand then, it would be like complaining about Kanto only having 3 Ghost types or 3 Dragon. And at the end you could get all the Pokémon anyways.

And I prefer a million times cross gen evolutions / preevolutions rather than regional variants or megas. Contrary to what many say, they ARE new Pokémon, no matter who they're related to. But I do agree there were many legendary among them.

Pokémon Contests are in Sinnoh though, I don't know how you missed them. They were actually much more fun than Hoenn's. BW's musicals were the real travesty. And had you waited for Platinum, you've managed to play a much better Battle Frontier than Emerald's, in my opinion.

What I didn't understand is that you thought Sinnoh's amount of new Pokémon was small and pathetic, but then you also criticize Gen V, and even call it limited, while it literally had over 150 new Pokémon, and nothing else for you to use until basically the end of the main campaign (unless the game you played was B2W2). By the end of the game I had caught basically everyone (that existed on my version) so I don't know what's that about the encounter rates. If any, Gen VI's pool of new Pokémon felt more "small and pathetic" in proportion to the amount of Pokémon in the Kalos regional Pokédex (72 new Pokémon out of the 450+ in the pokédex). Alola in theory had a bit more, but it was as if they wanted us to stumble upon every single Pokémon, except the new ones, making them super hard to find in most cases.

I do agree about Unova's Pokémon recycling many concepts of the Kanto Pokémon, as trying to create their equivalent versions, like they were trying to make Unova a parallel version of Kanto, which sucked because at the end of the day, the Kanto Pokémon were gonna be there too, so why did we need 2 families of blue frogs/tadpoles or two 3-stages families of rocks or Fighting types, etc.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Uuuuuh not really? Sure they try to give every gen its own flavor, but when they want something to stick they're very adamant with it and apply incremental improvements. Online play is one of those things, wich makes the Festival Plaza even more baffling than it already is.

That's why I said most aspects, and not every aspect. I even mentioned the Amie feature which surprisingly stuck after 2 generations already.

But then we have the contests, the Battle Frontier, the Pokéathlon, Pokémon walking behind the trainer, seasons, Triple battles, Inverse battles, PSS, etc. and in that spirit of always wanting to give each game their own gimmicks, which I guess sounds good in theory, I think in most cases they leave this feeling of wondering how all these features or at least some of them would work nowadays had they not been scrapped, and instead stayed in the games, evolving into better, refined versions of what they were, fixing mistakes, improving the functionality, the flow of it all, perfecting the ideas. Getting better visually, like in terms of graphics and performance. Like how awesome would contests be if they kept expanding that, and getting closer to what we saw in the anime with every new generation, especially now with a console like the Switch.

Jun 2, 2019
Unova's Pokémon recycling many concepts of the Kanto Pokémon, as trying to create their equivalent versions, like they were trying to make Unova a parallel version of Kanto

As someone who's actually replaying Black (currently on Victory Road) this is what makes the Unova pokémon bored/limited compared to the Kanto dex. Too many pokémon feel the same either in concept or role.

To name a few, patrat for rattata, roggenrola for geodude, axew for dratini, pidove for pidgey, klink for magnemite, audino for chansey, and so on

It ends up feeling boring, to be honest.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said most aspects, and not every aspect. I even mentioned the Amie feature which surprisingly stuck after 2 generations already.

But then we have the contests, the Battle Frontier, the Pokéathlon, Pokémon walking behind the trainer, seasons, Triple battles, Inverse battles, PSS, etc. and in that spirit of always wanting to give each game their own gimmicks, which I guess sounds good in theory, I think in most cases they leave this feeling of wondering how all these features or at least some of them would work nowadays had they not been scrapped, and instead stayed in the games, evolving into better, refined versions of what they were, fixing mistakes, improving the functionality, the flow of it all, perfecting the ideas. Getting better visually, like in terms of graphics and performance. Like how awesome would contests be if they kept expanding that, and getting closer to what we saw in the anime with every new generation, especially now with a console like the Switch.
Contests are weird because people didn't actually seem to like them and complained about them a lot online when they were in the games.

Sword and Shield actually build on a lot of the gen 7 features though so far.

Feb 20, 2019
As someone who's actually replaying Black (currently on Victory Road) this is what makes the Unova pokémon bored/limited compared to the Kanto dex. Too many pokémon feel the same either in concept or role.

To name a few, patrat for rattata, roggenrola for geodude, axew for dratini, pidove for pidgey, klink for magnemite, audino for chansey, and so on

How the hell is Axew similar to Dratini? Roggenrola is based off a much different thing. As for Pidove, I don't know how he is more similar to Pidgey than to Starly or Taillow.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
How the hell is Axew similar to Dratini? Roggenrola is based off a much different thing. As for Pidove, I don't know how he is more similar to Pidgey than to Starly or Taillow.

they probably mean they are similar the same way pretty much every gen had an early game rodent, a late game dragon line, a bird pokemon line.
It dosnt make much sense to single out gen 5 in particular tbh, but there are similarites for sure(as with every single gen).

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
Accidentally pressed post. Didn't mean to.

To be on topic: yeah, there are retreads of old pokemon in Gen 5, but like an above poster said, it feels a bit disingenuous to single out Gen 5 for pokemon like Patrat, Pidove, and Axew when every generation has an early rodent, regional bird, and dragon pseudo legendary (except gen 2 for this one).

momottolo

Aug 20, 2019
I've always wondered if i were the only one caring about level design in Pokemon games, for all the hate these games get i have never seen level design being one of the complaints; gen after gen i feel Pokemon games become more and more linear, dungeons like caves and enemy hq nowhere near those in the first gens and i fear that excluding the wild area this game could be very linear just like XY and Sun/Moon

Yet i've preordered it

Jun 2, 2019
I've always wondered if i were the only one caring about level design in Pokemon games, for all the hate these games get i have never seen level design being one of the complaints; gen after gen i feel Pokemon games become more and more linear, dungeons like caves and enemy hq nowhere near those in the first gens and i fear that excluding the wild area this game could be very linear just like XY and Sun/Moon

Yet i've preordered it

It has been one of the main criticisms for years

Gen 5 defense force is crazy strong tho, so you will only see said criticism applied to Gen 6 onwards

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I loved what i read in the Eurogamer preview. Especially this part "Wild Pokémon in the very early levels also inflict the odd status effect, and plenty of long grass patches are hard to sidestep entirely. Again, all very early-game stuff that it's difficult to extract much from, but I did find myself consciously thinking about what I was doing in those early stages, which is more than I can say for Pokémon's more recent RPGs gone by." This makes me hopeful that the game will feel more engaging, for me at least. But yeah pretty positive previews so far.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Yet i've preordered it
Since the Wild area is basically a central hub and connects several parts of the map between them, I think the game would feel far less linear than in previous gens.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The early impressions seem pretty positive and relived some of my worries.

There's still quite a number of issues I have with the game, and I complain as much as I do because I want Pokemon to be at it's absolute best, but I'm going to get it regardless. There's very few things that mean as much to me as Pokemon does. Bring on November.

CyberMonkey

Jun 20, 2019
It is, right? The game experience in Gen 7 is instantly worse because of it if you're used to play online. It's also such a great fit for the series that getting rid of it comes out as GF's worst decision by far.
For me, the PSS made up for most of the flaws in the gen 6 games. It was the first time in the franchise that I really felt connected with other friends and strangers who were playing the game. Festival Plaza was a huge disappointment and is the main reason why I don't like Sun and Moon very much.

That's also probably my biggest problem with gen 5. In the first half of the game, most Pokémon feel like reskins of Kanto Pokémon. They do not bring anything new to the table in terms of typing or stats. Even some of the designs and names are really bland (Timburr, Woobat, elemental monkeys). It gets a lot better in the second half of the game though.

Jun 2, 2019
It was the first time in the franchise that I really felt connected with other friends and strangers who were playing the game.

I know right? I could tell lots of anecdotes related to the PSS impossible on any other pokémon game (like that time a guy sent a shiny via wonder trade by mistake and then asked me to give it back when he realised)

Hoping for the Y-Comm keeping the same level of connectivity. It was amazing

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It has been one of the main criticisms for years

Gen 5 defense force is crazy strong tho, so you will only see said criticism applied to Gen 6 onwards
Criticism of Unova's map design is highly debatable and a minefield because a lot of people just look at the town map and go, oh its a line so it sucks. Oh it has you going straight forward all the time so it sucks. But no one really looks at what each route does individually, how the world works as a whole linked together, and that's why a lot of us are vocal about its defense. Yes its linear then Hoenn or Sinnoh. No one will argue against that. But to say the map design is outright terrible when its some of the best the series offers is the worst outlook upon it. Each route has side areas you can explore, some that can be accessed straight away, some require HMs. Each side area is usually accompanied with a small dungeon or point of interest that offers even more challenges and stuff to aquire. Yes the route is a straight path, but its designed in a way to offer two options, play it casually and charge on through or take it slow and indulge on the region piece by piece. Its also extremely ironic for me that people still ignore this, like if the developers don't throw the challenge right in your path and actually having to go off the beaten path is too tedious the game sucks which further validates the need to cut down on content cause hey, no one is bothered to do anything other than what we give them straight away. They created a world that has a legitimate solution to balancing things out for the core fanbase and the casual experience to coexist, people bitched about it and the rest is history. I really do place the blame on the fandom more than chasing trends or casualization because of kids for this one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yet i've preordered it
That's one of the biggest complaints and has been for over a decade now. People point to their comments about Mount Coronet as the turning point and level design has regressed from that point on. If you haven't seen hate for level design, you haven't been paying attention

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Criticism of Unova's map design is highly debatable and a minefield because a lot of people just look at the town map and go, oh its a line so it sucks. Oh it has you going straight forward all the time so it sucks. But no one really looks at what each route does individually, how the world works as a whole linked together, and that's why a lot of us are vocal about its defense. Yes its linear then Hoenn or Sinnoh. No one will argue against that. But to say the map design is outright terrible when its some of the best the series offers is the worst outlook upon it. Each route has side areas you can explore, some that can be accessed straight away, some require HMs. Each side area is usually accompanied with a small dungeon or point of interest that offers even more challenges and stuff to aquire. Yes the route is a straight path, but its designed in a way to offer two options, play it casually and charge on through or take it slow and indulge on the region piece by piece. Its also extremely ironic for me that people still ignore this, like if the developers don't throw the challenge right in your path and actually having to go off the beaten path is too tedious the game sucks which further validates the need to cut down on content cause hey, no one is bothered to do anything other than what we give them straight away. They created a world that has a legitimate solution to balancing things out for the core fanbase and the casual experience to coexist, people bitched about it and the rest is history. I really do place the blame on the fandom more than chasing trends or casualization because of kids for this one.
Most Pokémon games are somewhat linear. Unova just didn't try to window-dress it as much as others.

Now, I am talking from memory here, but, with the exception of Sinnoh and maybe Kanto/the latter half of Johto, every region is just a linear path with side areas that you can explore. (And it's not like Sinnoh is that different anyway)

EDIT: And BW2's Unova isn't even that linear.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deino would be Dratini, Haxorus isnt a Pseudo legend

Also thats the point, Gen 5 was a semi reboot that took old thenes and elements in a new and imo better direction

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Even if a lot of it was rehashed archetypes, as far as I'm concerned, Gen V still did it better in a lot of cases. Give me Gigalith, Swoobat, Excadrill, Chandelure, Scolipede, Reuniclus, Hydreigon, Lilligant, Whimsicott, and others over their Gen I counterparts any day.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I know opinions and all that but I legit can't take anyone seriously anyone who dislikes Gen V but loves X/Y outside of PSS. ORAS, I also don't get but I can still respect it, but X/Y are legitimately the worst mainline Pokémon games I have ever played by far and I've played at least one of every set.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I know opinions and all that but I legit can't take anyone seriously anyone who dislikes Gen V but loves X/Y outside of PSS. ORAS, I also don't get but I can still respect it, but X/Y are legitimately the worst mainline Pokémon games I have ever played by far and I've played at least one of every set.

speaking of, SupraDarky (YouTuber who uploads his favorite music tracks) is hosting a best rpg poll per generation and the current one has both X/Y and Ultra listed and X/Y are winning.

but I think X/Y are the worst in the series (D/P are worse to play but they're saved by Platinum).

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
One day I'll make a thread on why I feel Gen 3 is a fantastic game.

Specifically Ruby and Sapphire. Not Emerald as I personally only liked the post game and disliked a lot of changes to the campaign.

ORAS has some neat ideas but it suffered from its design philosophy being different then its original release.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just want a good a good pseudo-legendary dragon with this generation. Goodra was amazing, but I hate Kommo-o.