• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds amazing on paper, but unlike in games like Xenoblade you can catch these guys, so it seems like something impossible to balance.

Also, looking forward to someone complaining about shinies they can't catch.
I think they already said you can't catch them at all. So I'm not sure what the point of them are unless they give good EXP payouts for throwing your entire party at them lol

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I don't think full leaks will happen for a good 2 weeks. Release date is the 15th and next weekend ends on the 3rd of November, if I had to give it a quantifiable number I'd say around the 5th with the latest being the 8th before copies are lying about and being played at home.

I would be more than ok if we never saw the ultra beasts again lol
d25.png

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
All I know of this game is a few characters, few Pokémon and two gym leaders and nothing else

I don't wanna know anymore, keeping the rest off launch can't wait for this game

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
I think they already said you can't catch them at all. So I'm not sure what the point of them are unless they give good EXP payouts for throwing your entire party at them lol

Other than the possibility of a big EXP payout, the idea that you could stumble into a place you are not ready for adds some danger and excitement.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the possibility of a big EXP payout, the idea that you could stumble into a place you are not ready for adds some danger and excitement.
Yeah I get that, I guess I mean more mechanically. Like in the E3 footage a Machoke spawned that just swept the dude playing immediately lol. It'll be fun to remember where you saw something strong earlier and come back to find it though.

ahah, stumbling upon something I drew here is a bit of a trip

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So I got into this Pokemon lore talk with my boss and one thing he told me was that it's funny how Mega Evolutions went from being transformations that showcased the bond between a Pokemon and it's trainer, to causing Pokemon to endure excruciating pain/malice from the body altering.

Mega Gengar: It tries to take the lives of anyone and everyone. It will even try to curse the Trainer who is its master!

Mega Aerodactyl: It will attack anything that moves. Mega Evolution is a burden on its body, so it's incredibly irritated.

Mega Scizor: It stores the excess energy from Mega Evolution, so after a long time passes, its body starts to melt.

Mega Tyranitar: Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon's back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving.

Mega Sharpedo: The yellow patterns it bears are old scars. The energy from Mega Evolution runs through them, causing it sharp pain and suffering.

Mega Houndoom: Its red claws and the tips of its tail are melting from high internal temperatures that are painful to Houndoom itself.

Mega Lucario: Its aura has expanded due to Mega Evolution. Governed only by its combative instincts, it strikes enemies without mercy.

Sun and Moon's entries were pretty rough but Ultra Sun and Moon painted Mega Evolution in an even further negative light. Some Pokemon are excluded from such pain like Pinsir, but man, I wonder what brought on the decision. I do wonder what kinda dark lore we'll get with SwSh dex entires. Wouldn't be surprised if Sobble's evolutions took pleasure in dragging prey underwater while invisible and drowning them.

Jun 2, 2019
Sun and Moon's entries were pretty rough but Ultra Sun and Moon painted Mega Evolution in an even further negative light. Some Pokemon are excluded from such pain like Pinsir, but man, I wonder what brought on the decision

I have the theory that it's just to showcase a difference in mentality between Kalos and Alola. Alola is a much difference region, more bonded to nature, and instead of the Megastones wich were born from AZ's megaweapon they use the Z crystals, provided by the tapus, so they see Megavolution as something evil.

That's my headcanon at least.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got into this Pokemon lore talk with my boss and one thing he told me was that it's funny how Mega Evolutions went from being transformations that showcased the bond between a Pokemon and it's trainer, to causing Pokemon to endure excruciating pain/malice from the body altering.

Mega Gengar: It tries to take the lives of anyone and everyone. It will even try to curse the Trainer who is its master!

Mega Aerodactyl: It will attack anything that moves. Mega Evolution is a burden on its body, so it's incredibly irritated.

Mega Scizor: It stores the excess energy from Mega Evolution, so after a long time passes, its body starts to melt.

Mega Tyranitar: Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon's back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving.

Mega Sharpedo: The yellow patterns it bears are old scars. The energy from Mega Evolution runs through them, causing it sharp pain and suffering.

Mega Houndoom: Its red claws and the tips of its tail are melting from high internal temperatures that are painful to Houndoom itself.

Mega Lucario: Its aura has expanded due to Mega Evolution. Governed only by its combative instincts, it strikes enemies without mercy.

Sun and Moon's entries were pretty rough but Ultra Sun and Moon painted Mega Evolution in an even further negative light. Some Pokemon are excluded from such pain like Pinsir, but man, I wonder what brought on the decision. I do wonder what kinda dark lore we'll get with SwSh dex entires. Wouldn't be surprised if Sobble's evolutions took pleasure in dragging prey underwater while invisible and drowning them.
They can't walk back megas because of regret. It's way too late for that

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It would be interesting if there was an ingame explanation as to why Megas aren't available in Galar. Like, the local authorities thought it was abusive for the Pokémon and they banned it in the whole region.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
It would be interesting if there was an ingame explanation as to why Megas aren't available in Galar. Like, the local authorities thought it was abusive for the Pokémon and they banned it in the whole region.

It would be more interesting if they explained why some Pokémon can be brought in to Galar, while others can't, despite both kinds being born in the same place, when in previous regions they were all able to receive every kind of Pokémon before, independently of the weather or any other factor.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
It would be more interesting if they explained why some Pokémon can be brought in to Galar, while others can't, despite both kinds being born in the same place, when in previous regions they were all able to receive every kind of Pokémon before, independently of the weather or any other factor.

It would have been easier if the region was based on Australia. "Our ecosystem must be preserved" or something like that. It would at least have made sense.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
They can do this in Galar, too, though. It's just based on the UK, it's not the actual UK.

Well, fair enough. Though, it'd be hard anyway to explain why some Pokémon can be transfered while others can't. Like, for instance you can import a war machine like Mewtwo but you can't import something like Mankey?
I think they won't even bother giving an in game explanation, they'll just say what you can and can't transfer and that's it.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Well, fair enough. Though, it'd be hard anyway to explain why some Pokémon can be transfered while others can't. Like, for instance you can import a war machine like Mewtwo but you can't import something like Mankey?
I think they won't even bother giving an in game explanation, they'll just say what you can and can't transfer and that's it.

It's probably for the best. I'm sure people would be upset regardless of the explanation, so why bother?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I'm talking more about Climate, location, gyms, fashion, etc... The miscellaneous version differences. I'm not actually worried about the Pokemon lineup too much.
What do you mean about that? They've never detailed fashion differences between SM or XY so there's no reason to expect it this time. They also don't intend to spoil more gyms.

Also why would climates / locations be different?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I haven't played Pokemon since Red, and I love Dragon Quest 11. Is this game for me?

It's a turn-based RPG, so that's the same as DQXI. It's less story-driven and more focused on catching and training new creatures, so that's a bit different from DQXI.

I'd say you should give it a shot. If you enjoy turn-based RPGs, Pokémon has very deep combat mechanics and you can go as deep as you want, it's enjoyable no matter what.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure I'm probably the only person who cares about this but I'm really interested to see how the Pokédex numbering system will work in this game. Ever since Gen V the Pokédex has been numbered pretty much based on when in the game you encounter said Pokemon e.g. early route Pokemon will be say 13-30, the next route will be 30-40 and so on. Before that it was a bit more random but now with the Wild Area apparently housing a ridiculous amount of Pokemon on its own with seemingly no limit on when the player can encounter them it's impossible the create a Pokédex based on encounter time exclusively.

The Wild Area also kinda ruins the whole boss battle thing in a way too e.g. seeing a Tyranitar or a Steelix is less of an intimidating encounter in a Gym or rival battle if you've already been able to find, and potentially catch them, yourself. I've always been of the belief that all 'boss' trainers prior to the the end game should use Pokemon previously inaccessible to the player, be that via not being encounter-able prior to the gym e.g. Roark's Craniados, or having their evolutions method locked off e.g. Gardenia's Roserade or Fantina's Mismagius. X/Y was the absolute worst for this as you could rock up against every Gym Leader in the game with their ace in your team. Kinda takes the challenge away from Viola's Vivillon when you already have one yourself and know what it can do.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'm probably the only person who cares about this but I'm really interested to see how the Pokédex numbering system will work in this game. Ever since Gen V the Pokédex has been numbered pretty much based on when in the game you encounter said Pokemon e.g. early route Pokemon will be say 13-30, the next route will be 30-40 and so on. Before that it was a bit more random but now with the Wild Area apparently housing a ridiculous amount of Pokemon on its own with seemingly no limit on when the player can encounter them it's impossible the create a Pokédex based on encounter time exclusively.

The Wild Area also kinda ruins the whole boss battle thing in a way too e.g. seeing a Tyranitar or a Steelix is less of an intimidating encounter in a Gym or rival battle if you've already been able to find, and potentially catch them, yourself. I've always been of the belief that all 'boss' trainers prior to the the end game should use Pokemon previously inaccessible to the player, be that via not being encounter-able prior to the gym e.g. Roark's Craniados, or having their evolutions method locked off e.g. Gardenia's Roserade or Fantina's Mismagius. X/Y was the absolute worst for this as you could rock up against every Gym Leader in the game with their ace in your team. Kinda takes the challenge away from Viola's Vivillon when you already have one yourself and know what it can do.
It doesn't seem like you'll just be able to catch any Pokemon you want from the Wild Area as soon as you step in and it's too soon to say anything about gym leaders signature Pokemon being accessible prior to the battle.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I do think that we are going to be getting weekly trailers from here on, at least I hope. We are supposed to be getting info on the 27th from Pokenchi, and they usually rehash info from the week prior, which leads me to believe we are getting a trailer this Wednesday hopefully, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I don't know how the Wild Area is gonna work in terms of which Pokémon appear, or how linear the campaign is gonna be, but I suppose that excluding the licenses you take in your journey, the Pokédex is gonna be ordered based on what it SHOULD be the path, if, for example we start in the town in the bottom and the final place we reach is at the top of the map. Now, again, I don't know how the Wild Area is gonna be, I suppose there's gonna be some Pokémon exclusive to that area, but I bet there are gonna be other Pokémon that are also found in other places.

I am curious about that kind of thing, btw.

Another thing is that I want to guess that whatever ends up being the Galar Dex order, the new Pokémon will be ordered according to their National Dex number, aka, if you remove all the old Pokémon from the Galar Dex, and put the new Pokémon after Melmetal in that order, that's exactly how the National Pokédex is gonna be (which will only be confirmed through Pokémon Home / Official website / TCG).

And in that topic, I'm also obsessed with the printed strategy guides / Pokédexes. So far they've announced the Strategy Guide for November, and the Galar Pokédex for December, but they always, eventually release a National Dex book. I wonder if we're still getting such thing from this generation onward. They should do it, and include all the missing Pokémon from SwSh, just their picture and basic info, with no move pool, where to catch info, etc, just to make their absence more dramatic lol Like how they did in Gen III with Mew or in Gen V with Meloetta (the book came out before it was distributed).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That's how I could tell they were getting ready to get rid of em :D

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think about this and now I completely agree with you!

I love gym leaders and boss characters in Pokémon and if you could catch and see their Pokémon before the battle it would be really lame.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm sure this has been talked about already sorry, but any news on if the beginning will be as railroaded as the last few gens?

I'm intrigued by a new Pokemon game but I don't know if I can handle another tutorial like X/Y

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been talked about already sorry, but any news on if the beginning will be as railroaded as the last few gens?

I'm intrigued by a new Pokemon game but I don't know if I can handle another tutorial like X/Y
You can skip the tutorial on this one. It looks like it will given you freedom in the first hour.