• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 17, 2019
Yeah it's very disappointing that the reviews largely ignored how bad Y-Comm is. Sword and Shield have literally the worst set of online features out of any of the mainline games that have them. Even Diamond and Pearl's are way better. The servers not being online during the review period seems like it was a bit of a red flag in retrospect.
Ever stop to consider that maybe said reviewers aren't online players? Not everyone plays online you know, I know I never have.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ever stop to consider that maybe said reviewers aren't online players? Not everyone plays online you know, I know I never have.
Doesnt matter if they are or not. Max Raid Battles, regular battling and trading are a huge portion of the game. There's a reason the OT had to make a custom discord for max raids given how abysmal the online link code and stamp system is.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean online is a part of the core experience of the Wild Area in Sword and Shield so without it the Wild Area is fairly lonely. It would be like playing an MMORPG and you did nothing but solo all the online content.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I don't see how anyone could call this game amazing without its online complement even in all of its terribleness at times. The best part about these games is the connectivity, raid battles, and the way they made it easier to get into competitive. The wild area is built with online in mind.

The single player itself is barebones and lacks any sense of exploration. If you are just playing through the story and that's it this is probably one of the worst games in the series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hey guys, sorry i was unable to keep the OP updated. there were riots here in iran and our internet was cut off for like 8 days. even now it's not really working properly.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019
The single player itself is barebones and lacks any sense of exploration. If you are just playing through the story and that's it this is probably one of the worst games in the series.
I not only played through Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric
twice
, I also 100% it, and I need to love a game to 100% it. (The methods of getting 100% also can't be too ridiculous. Sonic Unleashed HD may be my favorite in the franchise, but if 100% it means doing Eggmanland at least 3 times and getting an S Rank on it, forget it) The only other games I ever 100% were Bakugan Defenders of the Core and Legend of Spyro Dawn of the Dragon, my favorite game of all time. I also played through both X and Y, which I just thought were ok. I'll be fine, thank you very much. Online will never be my thing, I'm a casual at heart. Also, you talk as if I explore in Pokemon. You don't know how I play.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Why does this make a difference? They're professional reviewers. If a reviewer didn't comment on the performance of a fighting game online would you say "Maybe they're not an online player?". What if they only played FGs for multiplayer and ignored the lack of single player/offline content. "Maybe they're not offline players?" Your statement is absurd

Jul 17, 2019
Why does this make a difference? They're professional reviewers. If a reviewer didn't comment on the performance of a fighting game online would you say "Maybe they're not an online player?". What if they only played FGs for multiplayer and ignored the lack of single player/offline content. "Maybe they're not offline players?" Your statement is absurd
You say that as a joke (or maybe not, hard to tell), but you're not wrong.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if Pokemon SwSh had 0 online features, not even local trading or battling, and a reviewer failed to point that out because they've never traded (I say this as someone who never traded or went online in past Pokemon games largely due to skipping those gens), it would be a rather unhelpful review for most no matter what score is tagged on.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I just rolled credits on the game last night and man some of these reviews are such bullshit in retrospect. The end of the game feels so rushed. One town is a literal hallway. The end of the game is just a long series of battles with no exploration, it sucks. I've got 20 pokemon left to catch and I'm out. I cant wait to be done with this game.

Oct 26, 2017

There are tech reviewers whose focus isn't on performance, but they assess performance with a given device (benchmarking or other methods) to help give consumers a better idea of their purchase.

you don't need to be an online player to assess online features.