• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, it looks like people who haven't spent months working up some insane hate-boner over every perceived 'misstep' by the developers have played the games and, shock horror, had fun.
s4dTtBy.jpg

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
with my only Pokemon game being Yellow, I propably wont notice all the shortcomings ppl are saying it has compared to previous gens.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I think despite Eurogamer aligning more with what I've seen from the leak thread, the IGN review is still rather fair. 9.3 seems a bit much personally but review scores are rather arbitrary anyways so nbd. The one thing i did notice in the IGN review however was that the games seem to be lacking in content overall outside of the main story, gym battles, Max Raids, and the Wild Area.

The list of QoL improvements do seem nice though I worry about the mandatory Exp Share All will make the game out to be rather trivial like previous entries without even a "Whitney's Miltank" thrown in occasionally. I also worry how the ease of being able to speed up the process of training Pokemon will affect replayablity for me. There was always a sense of "I've put too much time into this team already, it'd be rather tedious to train up some new ones now so I'll just stick with these guys." It was always a big part of these games to try out new teams to see what I could come up with and I just question how that could affect my personal enjoyment of the games. Could be better than before, could be worse.

I think ultimately I'm just gonna see what I think of the games for myself. It's the only way to be sure whether I'm done with the series or not. From what I've seen of the leak thread I don't have high hopes, but I also think the games will be simply OK. For some that won't be good enough (and that's perfectly fine, I actually agree with that) and for others it will and that's alright by me too.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When X and Y scored higher than Black and white 2 I realised that reviewers don't know shit.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Guessed 75-79 and am really surprised it's currently that close. Despite sucking at guesses, I did guess right for Death Stranding and feel like I got closer here than I really thought myself.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
There's 13 reviews on MC counted guys, it will likely finish with over 70 reviews. Could go either way still.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I love Casey Defreitas on NVC but I honestly don't trust her to be objective on either Pokémon or Monster Hunter. She's too big of a fan of both franchises IMO. They should have had someone else review it for IGN.

Btw I'm not saying this review is invalid or doesn't count but since each review is someone's experience with the game, I personally am taking the IGN review with a grain of salt. Having heard almost every episode of NVC in the last few years, having Casey Defreitas review Pokémon or Monster Hunter is like having Brian Altano review the Links Awakening remake
sorry to break it to you bud but objective quality assessments of art don't exist

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really hate how low the number of reviews is. i don't understand why they didn't send review codes to everyone at the same time. i hate this staggered embargo thing that's recently happening with some games.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Eurogamer isn't the only middling review. Even a foreign IGN gave it an 8 vs IGN proper giving it a 9.3. There is legitimacy in saying that it's a mixed bag I think. It's still decent but the discussion is whether it's great or just ok.

My issue isn't with which reviews are justified, it's the way people are trying to invalidate anything that doesn't fit their narrative.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like the two big main games that have launched over the last couple of weeks have got very similar review threads. It's literally people on both sides arguing about which reviews are legit or not. lol

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, despite all of the controversies, I still seriously doubt that XY are 7 points better than SwSh.
X and Y are deeply flawed, but I feel like reviewers gave it a lot of credit for being so ambitious and doing so much new stuff for the series.

SwSh is basically the exact opposite of that.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah "lighten up"

Ok. People tell me I don't matter. That I'm not important. That I'm only making everybody look worse.

But hey "lighten up" I guess.
Oh. You were serious. I thought your post was a troll post, to the honest.

Relax. It's a Pokemon game. No one is saying your life has no meaning and you're a bad person.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
GameXplain - "The game is too streamlined for its own good".

I think if there's one thing Pokemon fans DON'T want, it's for things to be even more streamlined.

That comment and the Eurogamer comment on no dungeons really makes me worried about this being the easiest Pokemon game ever.

This here is the only thing that guts me. Not the dex cuts, no GTS, or even performance issues. I'm the person who will play through the campaign of these games over and over and barely bother with competitive. And to see them being forcibly made easier and easier with less options for me to add any difficulty for myself (like turning Exp. Share off) has made these games look more unappealing to me than anything else.

It feels like there just isn't much there for replayability or challenge. Routes becoming super linear and seemingly little side locations through the journey. Just get to the end of the campaign and never play it again.

It really looks like I'll have to form two full teams and rotate them in and out just to have some difficulty with this game. And even then, that doesn't alleviate me from my problems with the handholding and lack of overworld exploration. Sigh.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much what I expected honestly, I think most of the problems the hardcore fans have won't affect the casual consumer. I do wish the graphical issues were called out more, though. Even if they don't affect you personally, they're still pretty blatant and baffling.

People don't know anything about Pokemon games
unknown.png

for the most part I've moved on from getting mad about reviews but this is just plain rude

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Sun and moon are actually the best pokemon games because they have a story worth a damn.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Lol@ that ign score. No way are these games better than the 7.8 they gave to ORAS. No game that locks sound settings behind a missable key item by a random NPC deserves an almost perfect score.
Fully agree, ORAS should have been a 9.9 to match the correct score of 9.3 for SWSH.

ORAS has a lot more problems other than too much water. Emerald 4 lyfe.

What i meant is that the person i quoted called casey the Pokemon fanboy at ign(impling her score is somehow not valid because of that), while she also gave ORAS a 7.8, which to me says she isnt all that "biased".

Yes but I can't skip Brawly and then clap him later with level 40+ pokémon

Also, I thought having all the Pokémon didn't matter :^)

That Emerald score is so bullshit lol

but i thought being overleveled is bad ?

and having all pokemon does not matter.
Having the right ones does ;)
Lucario carries the weight of the franchise.

TBH i agree the emerald score is wrong, but not because i think it is better than ORAS, rather because i think it is better than R/S but not as good as ORAS.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Lost it's magic for me years ago. If it still works for you great but nothing about the reviews are dragging me back in.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
These reviews make me feel so good.

No hyperbole. No whining. No impotent rage.

See this folks? This is what real criticism is.

The stuff fans have been whining most about and the "real criticism" in these reviews barely align. Most mentions of Dexit seem to do so in the context of "I'm glad there aren't as many old Pokemon cluttering up the routes!" rather than the implications on competitive battling, I couldn't remotely expect anyone but the most hardcore of fans to get into the minutiae of why removing moves like Hidden Power and Pursuit is a problem, and I don't think they were even allowed to use the online features so they obviously don't factor the removal of the GTS into their reviews.