• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I love Casey Defreitas on NVC but I honestly don't trust her to be objective on either Pokémon or Monster Hunter. She's too big of a fan of both franchises IMO. They should have had someone else review it for IGN.

Btw I'm not saying this review is invalid or doesn't count but since each review is someone's experience with the game, I personally am taking the IGN review with a grain of salt. Having heard almost every episode of NVC in the last few years, having Casey Defreitas review Pokémon or Monster Hunter is like having Brian Altano review the Links Awakening remake
I would say the viewpoint of someone who is a massive fan that would like the game regardless of what it is is still valuable to have

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No other game would be allowed to get away with such glaring technical issues or massive feature cuts from previous games. Some of these reviews don't even mention them.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what I expected honestly, I think most of the problems the hardcore fans have won't affect the casual consumer. I do wish the graphical issues were called out more, though. Even if they don't affect you personally, they're still pretty blatant and baffling.

for the most part I've moved on from getting mad about reviews but this is just plain rude

Roguelikes/lites were loathed by Western audiences back then. It would review better today.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The best thing about this is LGPE vindication.

That game at least was honest about what it wanted to be, which is why I appreciate it.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic score keeps falling... down to 80 now.

It's nice to see that the "81 metacritic" narrative was blown wide open

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Antagonizing another member.
Why don't I matter? Why am I such a bad person? What did I do that's so terrible?

Why am I pointless? Why don't I deserve to voice my opinion?

Why does everyone hate me when all I want is for someone to just listen instead of telling be "fuck you you're not important buy the game?'

What did I ever do to any of you that make me such a terrible person?

Is this the most millennial post of all time or what?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a semi-related question: Are the Ultra games worse than regular sun/moon? The didn't review as well, but I was under the impression they were mostly the same games with some additions/improvements?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No other game would be allowed to get away with such glaring technical issues or massive feature cuts from previous games. Some of these reviews don't even mention them.
Well, you know, they maybe didn't affect the reviewer's opinion.

Though you think glaring technical issues are the sort of thing you'd at least mention in a consumer review.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Guessed 75-79 and am really surprised it's currently that close. Despite sucking at guesses, I did guess right for Death Stranding and feel like I got closer here than I really thought myself.

Death Stranding's review pattern is wildly different, which kind of underscores how shot in the dark this can be lol

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
It's going to be hilarious if these score lower than the Let's Go games, the entries that "fans" hated and said we should wait for these instead.

(And this most definitely is going to happen. Good God, not even the Pokemon effect can save these games).

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I read some reviews in Italian and the main problems are:
- Graphically is disomogeneous
- Almost no post game content
- Too easy, even more than in the past

I'm curious to play it as a non hardcore player, probably i will like it...
One of my fav is Pk X...

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
That IGN review is a joke but I'm immensely satisfied with this being the lowest MC of a new generation.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are forgetting that reviewers are meant to review the game in front of them, not how it compares to previous games. If removing "bubble", or certain Pokemon, or changing how TMs work didn't adversely affect their enjoyment of this game specifically, why should it detract from the overall score? I realize that's frustrating, but that's just how it works. They're reviewing the game they have, not the one they want/don't have.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so after all the "controversy" it's gonna settle in the 80's like literally every other mainline pokemon game

quelle surprise

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I low key agree with you but I'll change "story" with "characters".

Flawed game, but it really felt like it had a soul.

Agree. Though I still like the story it felt like they had a vision for it outside of making just another pokemon game with big legendary pokemon at the end. Even though it also is that.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've got a semi-related question: Are the Ultra games worse than regular sun/moon? The didn't review as well, but I was under the impression they were mostly the same games with some additions/improvements?
Third versions usually review worse. If you haven't played SM, the Ultra versions are much better, yeah.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
i really hate how low the number of reviews is. i don't understand why they didn't send review codes to everyone at the same time. i hate this staggered embargo thing that's recently happening with some games.
I wonder if it's indicative of the game's actual quality, normally when a game only gets a handful of early reviews the score dips quite a bit once the rest of the reviews roll in.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah "lighten up"

Ok. People tell me I don't matter. That I'm not important. That I'm only making everybody look worse.

But hey "lighten up" I guess.

I don't think people are trying to say you're not important, if people are being that cold to you then report their posts. If you're unhappy with the game you can still voice your opinion, actually many people here seem to be getting along. I've yet to see any mod action so far...

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

USUM made some changes in the story which arguably made it worse. It was also released just a year later so SM was still fresh and had a lot of problems that USUM didn't fix

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They changed the story in unfortunate ways, but the added content makes them slightly better.

Of course, they came out a year after the originals, and were inherently less impressive as a result.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to agree USUM is generally better gameplay wise, but the original SM most praised point is the story and USUM screws it up. So it's hard to say, depends on what you care more.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Story was worse but the gameplay was better. If you want to play one I would go with Ultra Sun/Moon over regular Sun/Moon.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Why do i feel like once this game releases the shitstorm will be even bigger, these reviews...lol. 9.3 ? ehhh

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

I assume the addition/improvement are not big enough to justify spending another 40$ if you already play S/M.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
We need to go back:

aid6246589-v4-728px-Get-HM-Fly-on-Pokémon-HeartGold-or-SoulSilver-Step-1.jpg

Give me Pokemon Let's Go Johto with the same charm as Heart Gold/Soul Silver and the story of Crystal.

Also on topic: I was thinking between 84-89 so am kind of suprised it's lower then that but that can still change of course.
I will probably still wait awhile before buying it, who knows we might get an Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield version later on.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Looks like my Fear of a lack of story has come to past. None of the reviews I've read have mentioned a story beyond the gym battles. I figured since this was the first one on a main console they might go back to the traditional story of trying to be a champion rather then events pushing the player forward.

At least the reviews have been positive and the gym battles sound very interesting, so color me impressed still. I just hope I have it in me to finish the game since there's no real pushing factor beyond beating all the gym.