• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
From where I'm sitting, there's more significantly more people trying to dispute the positive reviews than there are people who take issue with the negative ones

I think some of the positive reviews saying it's the "best one ever" feel over the top to some so there is some reason for pushback on those when you make such a grande claim. Conversely the negative reviews aren't saying it's the "worst one ever," and that's enough for a lot of fans.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol@ that ign score. No way are these games better than the 7.8 they gave to ORAS. No game that locks sound settings behind a missable key item by a random NPC deserves an almost perfect score.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I was off the mark with my 85-89 prediction in the pool.
I'll try to enjoy those games as much as I can, even without my precious Dragonite who accompagnied me all those previous gens. May your soul find peace.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, despite all of the controversies, I still seriously doubt that XY are 7 points better than SwSh.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
how could it be that different people playing a game have different experiences with the difficulty and completion time? truly mystifying

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Antagonizing another member.
Why don't I matter? Why am I such a bad person? What did I do that's so terrible?

Why am I pointless? Why don't I deserve to voice my opinion?

Why does everyone hate me when all I want is for someone to just listen instead of telling be "fuck you you're not important buy the game?'

What did I ever do to any of you that make me such a terrible person?

Ehm, okay? Lighten the fuck up. The things you seek can not be found here.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lol, the responses here are terrible.

As expected in a review thread but this is worse than usual

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it looks like people who haven't spent months working up some insane hate-boner over every perceived 'misstep' by the developers have played the games and, shock horror, had fun.
Doesn't mean that the things against the game are bullshit. There are certainly some reviewers after seeing some of their tweets and than seeing the review makes me question their credibility way more than I would have previously.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
User Banned (1 week): drive-by posting, trolling, ignoring the modpost
Hey friends, what's the name of the theme that plays on this vid?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I think some of the positive reviews saying it's the "best one ever" feel over the top to some so there is some reason for pushback on those when you make such a grande claim. Conversely the negative reviews aren't saying it's the "worst one ever," and that's enough for a lot of fans.

Theres pushback and then there's calling Eurogamer "the only objective review". So I dunno.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Seems positive overall.

It's scoring lower than Death Stranding which was like the worst video game ever made according to some folks.

Also its weird to see folks playing the "you havent played the game yet" card with this, when uh folks who have really wanted to play the game have already been able to for the last 2+ days.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
People don't know anything about Pokemon games
unknown.png

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamexplain review says that there's not a lot there for people who don't care about post-game (!) and ends with "a good first step for consoles"

that's brutal

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
I love Casey Defreitas on NVC but I honestly don't trust her to be objective on either Pokémon or Monster Hunter. She's too big of a fan of both franchises IMO. They should have had someone else review it for IGN.

Btw I'm not saying this review is invalid or doesn't count but since each review is someone's experience with the game, I personally am taking the IGN review with a grain of salt. Having heard almost every episode of NVC in the last few years, having Casey Defreitas review Pokémon or Monster Hunter is like having Brian Altano review the Links Awakening remake

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Yeah. I am playing the game since yesterday, it's no way a 40hr game. It's a 20 at max 25 hour game

Seriously? I haven't neither myself, my wife or my daughters bought the last couple games, but is it because of the new leveling system as to why things go so quickly? Last I remember, I was going around for hours leveling up different Poke's to gain new abilities, etc/

This thread is already a treat.

For real. It's like being and Independent voter, you can just sit back and shake your head at both sides.

So far, it sounds like a standard Christmas throw-in for the wife's new Switch I bought her for when AC drops.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how inflated game reviews are this is actually a 7/10 right now with Eurogamer being more accurate

But then if we throw at the reviews of those who need to grow up and the actual non objective reviews we come to a meta score of 8.9, "too much and not enough water". Crazy how math works.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I usually don't read through/watch reviews before buying a game, since I like to wait to do so until after playing it, but I'll definitely be making an exception this time.

I still plan on buying Sword regardless, but I'm curious to see how Sword/Shield compares to the 3DS games.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Theres pushback and then there's calling Eurogamer "the only objective review". So I dunno.

Eurogamer isn't the only middling review. Even a foreign IGN gave it an 8 vs IGN proper giving it a 9.3. There is legitimacy in saying that it's a mixed bag I think. It's still decent but the discussion is whether it's great or just ok.