• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
HGSS and BW2 were pretty much the pinnacle of the series and it genuinely saddens me that the games will probably never hit those heights again.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
300px-Shigeki_Morimoto.jpg

200.gif

We need you to come back

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
god even the music is disappointing me

what the fuck. that was like the one thing i never expected.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Cool, glad you get to play the way you would like to while I don't. Not really sure who it would harm if I had the option to turn it off.

That's going to happen, with any series. Super Mario 3D World had Mario missing a number of the things people associated with Mario's movement. Galaxy took a very different approach to level design that led to 3D Mario being subdivided into different categories, with it and 3D World representing one style, and Odyssey representing Mario 64 style. There will never be another Mario title that blends both sorts of sensibilities, and one may be more prolific on a platform or go into retirement for a long period of time. There certainly isn't a course based 3D Mario title on Switch, regardless.

Either way, there's something to be said for adapting. And while the example I gave isn't exactly the same, the Pokemon fandom shows a tendency to cling to - or even be critical - of things regardless of whether they're outdated or artificially difficult or not. But I made my case, and I'll move on.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
That's going to happen, with any series. Super Mario 3D World had Mario missing a number of the things people associated with Mario's movement. Galaxy took a very different approach to level design that led to 3D Mario being subdivided into different categories, with it and 3D World representing one style, and Odyssey representing Mario 64 style. There will never be another Mario title that blends both sorts of sensibilities, and one may be more prolific on a platform or go into retirement for a long period of time. There certainly isn't a course based 3D Mario title on Switch, regardless.

Either way, there's something to be said for adapting. But I made my case, and I'll move on.
Yeah, cool. I don't see what point you're trying to make to me, especially since you didn't have your way of playing removed, lol.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Either way, there's something to be said for adapting. But I made my case, and I'll move on.

That is one hell of a false equivalence.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The sad thing is, fantastic as games like Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 are, they were still restricted by a game design mentality originating from a Game Boy game, sprites, grids, 8 gyms and an E4, etc. When I played them, I never thought "this is the peak of Pokemon," I thought "wow, these are great games, I can't wait to see where they go from here!" The thought that Pokemon actually peaked with those games is immensely disappointing.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
4N22Swg.png

Whelp. That gym battle was the last straw.

I'm still gonna buy Sword because I'm weak willed and love the fossilmon too much, but I can't justify spending $120 on this shit

Oct 28, 2019
Route 5 was literally still a straight path from left to right. Eh, I'm really starting to question my purchase. Hope the reviews can reel me back in.

Oct 26, 2017
I HATE Game Freak's cutscene direction so much still.

Three people.

Standing still

In an empty, completely static environment.

We need a cutscene I guess.

Why.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I was just told by a friend who is watching a stream that you're limited to only be able to catch Pokemon up to a certain level and if it is above that too bad. So.. if you run across a shiny but it is 1 level above what the game permits you to catch it's a case of "too fucking bad"?

I'm sorry but that is by far the worst game decision they've made, forget dexit, forget the mandatory exp share, you can get to way above the expected level of the area with barely any effort and we're also going to allow Pokemon way above your expected level to show up, but too bad can't catch them because that'd break the game?

Oct 28, 2019
I was just told by a friend who is watching a stream that you're limited to only be able to catch Pokemon up to a certain level and if it is above that too bad. So.. if you run across a shiny but it is 1 level above what the game permits you to catch it's a case of "too fucking bad"?

I'm sorry but that is by far the worst game decision they've made, forget dexit, forget the mandatory exp share, you can get to way above the expected level of the area with barely any effort and we're also going to allow Pokemon way above your expected level to show up, but too bad can't catch them because that'd break the game?

Only in the Wild Area.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Man hearing about the leaks and now watching this stream has me going back to playing some of those Pokemon romhacks. At least then I'm not inundated with cutscenes and exp leveling problems.

Jalen

Dec 18, 2017

Wait seriously? Can someone else confirm this?

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews won't do us any good because reviewers can't get into the issues. Not unless they're dedicated to the franchise. This isn't their fault, and the reviews will be valid for anyone who just wants a 20-hour campaign and fiddles a bit with the multiplayer stuff. But there's too much knowledge and time needed to get into the details that matter for us that they won't have the time to cover. So expect high reviews as usual.

Oct 25, 2017

If a shiny clip of that happening goes viral then for the first time in ever Pokemon might actually catch enough flack to change something.

Also Jesus Christ could they not just have level scaling like literally every open world game to ever exist?

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nitpick - the player fishing at the docks near the water and encountering a Chinchou, but the battle takes place in a grassy plain that looks like it's outside the town.

That approach may have worked in the 2D games but is jarring to see shifting between environments in a 3D space.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm in the super minority here but I'm still very excited for this. I play games on easy anyway so I'm really looking forward to a chill nostalgia trip. Just hoping for some cool towns and areas to explore. I completely understand those who are disappointed by the lack of difficulty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.