• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't play pokemon anymore, why are all final starter evos humanoids? All I see is a big man playing drums, a lanky guy pretending to be a spy and a soccerboy. If I played SwSh I would remove them from my party as fast as I could and make room for some monsters
That's just somethin they've been doing more and more with starters lately. Though I'd say Rillaboom looks like a gorilla more than a human.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I've been team Grookey since day one, but Cinderace might convince me to switch. I might be more loyal to Rillaboom if it had different hair.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
the fire starters always turn out so bad and then yall wonder why Charizard keeps staying popular warranting more forms

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm on Team Totodile better be catachable like it was in SuMo/UsUM. Hoping that rumor about Gen I/II/IV starters making the cut turns out to be true because if it's not then Gen 8 will be my first ever No Starter run, for my first playthrough anyway.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for the people who choose Sobble.

Like damn, that final stage is the most douche chills Pokémon I've ever seen.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Nah, Gen 9 will be California or something. They've been jumping back and forth between US states and European countries.
Japan, Japan, Japan, Japan, New York, France, Hawaii, UK...
I wouldn't use Hawaii to draw some sort of pattern here since its environment and culture is very distinct compared to anything else in the US. It's also a very popular vacation spot for Japanese tourists.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that we got some form of regional bug type Pokemon, and perhaps I'm misremembering at the moment, but do we know of any regional Ice types yet?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Nah, Gen 9 will be California or something. They've been jumping back and forth between US states and European countries.
We'll see how long that pattern lasts.

Probably not much longer. I doubt this is even an international pattern.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
They picked Hawaii because it was the 20th ann and, with its connection to Japan, many back to back world championships were held there. It was the meeting point for the community.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

As a Californian, the only way they could portray it accurately is having half of the Pokemon be Fire type.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't play pokemon anymore, why are all final starter evos humanoids? All I see is a big man playing drums, a lanky guy pretending to be a spy and a soccerboy. If I played SwSh I would remove them from my party as fast as I could and make room for some monsters

There's not much that's more classic monster than humanoid creatures and its always been part of Pokemon. Whether you're talking about classical studies in mythology and folklore or more recent interpretations like Universal movies. Pokemon is great because its all over the place with its inspirations.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wonder if people will be mad when they "rehash" the Koala for the Australia region's grass starter.

Or they'll just give Komala a regional form/evolution, I dunno.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just want to say out of 83 pages, the best part was people genuinely arguing someone could create fake starter models that high quality in less than two hours.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really like the new snake, it looks so sad and just wants to be left alone

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
At least they haven't used the Kiwi yet. We're small enough to be included in that general region whenever that happens.
Don't worry, Not New Zealand will be a small post-game area or something. I'd say it's where the Battle Frontier would be held, but we know that those don't exist anymore.

But yeah, wouldn't be surprised at all with a Kiwi line.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't worry, Not New Zealand will be a small post-game area or something. I'd say it's where the Battle Frontier would be held, but we know that those don't exist anymore.

But yeah, wouldn't be surprised at all with a Kiwi line.

As a Zew Zealander, a Kiwi evolving into a Moa has always been one of my dream pokemon.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
90 percent sure I'll be going Sobble, but I'll have to see them in motion before the final decision.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
People like what they like and it's totally fair to like or dislike any of the designs.

What I find irritating is when people start misusing design terms to back up their point. You think there's a technical reason these designs are bad? Then throw down your design credentials before making the argument - almost no one in the comments I've read so far appears to be a designer of any sort based on how they're critiquing these designs (to be fair any designer with experience would know how much work something like this is and how many stakeholders there are; they'd therefore be circumspect about offering "feedback").

Our crummy little nocturnal bird turning into a gigantic 12ft tall monster bird (which was hunted by the largest Eagle ever) is pretty funny.
Our country went from being badass to being kinda lame.

As someone who was impressed by how your country came together last year, and who is planning the next non-Japan family trip there for 2020, your country is awesome.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Can't wait for the mischievous laughing kookaburra Pokemon.

The Australia region will just be full of new bird, reptile, insect and arachnid lines, won't it?

Oct 1, 2019
Jesus, the starter evolutions look really bad. Grookey3's color scheme is all over the place, Sobble3 just looks plain wrong, too skinny, while Scorbunny3 is too simple, looks like a mid evo.
I guess I'm going with Scorbunny3 cause I love fire-foot based anime characters like Sanji and Shinra. I just hope they did the mons' animations justice.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Leaker said it's regular farfetch'd
Doesn't look like it to me, that's for sure.
EIUHSldXkAEigjV.png

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like my country currently, but I still would love to see it in Pokémon. I love this whole "alternate world" take they do with real life locations.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't even like my country currently, but I still would love to see it in Pokémon. I love this whole "alternate world" take they do with real life locations.
What country is that? Interested in hearing pitches for future regions.

Yeah I can screenshot the discord message if you guys really want me to do so
Even with the testimony of the leaker, I honestly can't buy that based on what we can clearly see.

Is there the possibility for confusion on their part because it's still called "Farfetch'd" in-game?

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Sobble looks like the villain, Grookey his strong but dumb sidekick and Scorbunny is the hero. Now I want to see more evos from previously announced pokemon.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
What country is that? Interested in hearing pitches for future regions.

Even with the testimony of the leaker, I honestly can't buy that based on what we can clearly see.

Is there the possibility for confusion on their part because it's still called "Farfetch'd" in-game?

Is there a possiblity? Sure. Is it likely? I don't think so. If the pokémon appears in pokémon camp, it means that he caught it. He would've noticed that it was a regional variant by now.

Even then, good point, it could be the leaker confusing it. But once again I don't think it's very likely considering the situation.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it kinda sounds like the leaker is getting Galarian Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd mixed up

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Oh, that's for sure. When the leaker says "it evolves into the galarian one", he's clearly referring to Sirfetch'd

Status
Not open for further replies.