• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, the sales taking a hit might be the only thing getting TPC to examine their handle of the franchise, only because they have to answer to investors and owners (Nintendo?).
Realistically, this won't affect their sales numbers significantly. Even if tens of thousands of hardcore fans boycott the game, that's just a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of casual fans, kids, and new players who don't know/care about the controversies and are going to buy it regardless.

Plus, and this is just an educated guess, but I don't even think the games are the franchise's primary moneymakers anymore? The amount they rake in from the anime, manga, toys, plushies, and merchandising deals probably dwarf the games' sales, and those are going to remain steady even if the games become irredeemable trash.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Well they do need to fire James imo, they could use better.
His art direction is the one shining strong point that's unambiguously excellent in a sea of baffling decisions and set-backs.

So knowing Game Freak they probably will fire him, since they don't tend to keep good new things for more than a generation.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Any person that thinks the generation that gave us Appletun, Dracopult and Eiscue needs to change art direction is clinically insane.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you asking game freak to balance a roster of 800+ creatures are you for real? Like can you even begin to imagine the amount of variables and interactions you have to consider plus the amount of time ud have to take to balance that amount of mons?

Again this can be solved by with

1. Creating 2 environments, one for the regional dex and one for the national dex. Hell just creating one for regional dex only would be a great start.
2. Limiting official tournaments like VGC to regional dex only.

This ensures a more balance-able and interesting meta while allowing people that want to play with all Pokemon the ability to play with all Pokemon. Sure it takes a lot more resources, but you only need to balance regional dex.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
If anything, the sales taking a hit might be the only thing getting TPC to examine their handle of the franchise, only because they have to answer to investors and owners (Nintendo?).
The games are made in partnership with Nintendo. The Poke Ball Plus was a Nintendo thing. They've said that the Dex decision was a decision reached between GF, TPC, and Nintendo. Game Freak is not working in isolation.
Realistically, this won't affect their sales numbers significantly. Even if tens of thousands of hardcore fans boycott the game, that's just a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of casual fans, kids, and new players who don't know/care about the controversies and are going to buy it regardless.

Plus, and this is just an educated guess, but I don't even think the games are the franchise's primary moneymakers anymore? The amount they rake in from the anime, manga, toys, plushies, and merchandising deals probably dwarf the games' sales, and those are going to remain steady even if the games become irredeemable trash.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again this can be solved by with

1. Creating 2 environments for online play, one for the regional dex and one for the national dex. Hell just creating one for regional dex only would be a great start.
2. Limiting official tournaments like VGC to regional dex only.

This ensures a more balance-able and interesting meta while allowing people that want to play with all Pokemon the ability to play with all Pokemon. Sure it takes a lot more resources, but you only need to balance regional dex.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela

I think you're right about that they have diversifed their sources of income, but ultimately, if the game's aren't (as) popular, they can't generate interest in the anime or sell the new toys and plushes. Also, I'm sure Switch's sales expectations have been projected taking in consideration the release of this games. I don't expect them to fail, nor I don't want it to, just wished they had better handle the situation so this mess was not happening.

Oh, thanks for posting that Tweet, very interesting.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

Figured as much. Yeah, a boycott ain't doing squat so long as kids and fans keeping shelling out for merch and such.
I think you're right about that they have diversifed their sources of income, but ultimately, if the game's aren't (as) popular, they can't generate interest in the anime or sell the new toys and plushes. Also, I'm sure Switch's sales expectations have been projected taking in consideration the release of this games. I don't expect them to fail, nor I don't want it to, just wished they had better handle the situation so this mess was not happening.
At the end of the day, the true villain here is the poor working conditions for game devs. Based on all the knowledge we have about GF, they're overworked, understaffed, and forced to meet harsh deadlines thanks to their status as a cog in the massive machine that is Pokemon. Had they more time and resources perhaps they could've made a bigger and better game without having to sacrifice anything, but TCPI/Nintendo's weird insistence on keeping the team and budget small meant that compromises were inevitable.

Oct 25, 2017
Figured as much. Yeah, a boycott ain't doing squat so long as kids and fans keeping shelling out for merch and such.

At the end of the day, the true villain here is the poor working conditions for game devs. Based on all the knowledge we have about GF, they're overworked, understaffed, and forced to meet harsh deadlines thanks to their status as a cog in the massive machine that is Pokemon. Had they more time and resources perhaps they could've made a bigger and better game without having to sacrifice anything, but TCPI/Nintendo's weird insistence on keeping the team and budget small meant that compromises were inevitable.
nintendo cant tell a third party dev how big their team should be...

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Why people still act like the art director is responsible for all the Pokemon designs in a gen is beyond me. This is the only time a Pokemon game's art director has gotten so much scrutiny and it's literally only because they put him in a direct and told us he was the art director.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Why people still act like the art director is responsible for all the Pokemon designs in a gen is beyond me. This is the only time a Pokemon game's art director has gotten so much scrutiny and it's literally only because they put him in a direct and told us he was the art director.

As far as I know, he gets the final word on which designs move into the final product, so he is kind of responsible.

That being said, if this is getting more scrutiny than usual it's because of all the other issues people have with the games. They're just piling stuff up at this point.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is sacrilige to say but honestly I still consider Gen 2 to be the weakest generation when it comes to Pokemon designs. Gen 8 is still better imo.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

It's not really about the sales. Let's say they keep releasing games with less and less content and a vocal minority keeps getting more upset and controlling most of the online narative. This is obviously a n extreme "what if" scenario, but eventually they would literally need real shills to keep their positive media presence online sustainable years down the line. There's a reason they basically had Ash obliterate the Alola league despite the majority of viewers probably not even caring about what happened in Kalos. Reports of the show having Ash lose again, and articles asking what's going on with the writers etc are dangerous to public image which needs to be maintained for longevity.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put it ahead of gen 6 and gen 7 too.
Eh I dunno Gen 7 had a pretty cohesive Dex arguably and theres nothing there that's as bad as ice penguin that one is pretty rough lmao.

I'm not committing too hard on which Gen its superior to until I play the game. Actually playing with the Pokemin changes my perception of them.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some of the designs I don't care for as much (a lot of the officially revealed ones actually) but the only truly bad ones are the squirrels.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I know this is sacrilige to say but honestly I still consider Gen 2 to be the weakest generation when it comes to Pokemon designs. Gen 8 is still better imo.
I put both 2 and 3 down at the bottom. I can't properly place 8 until I can see the Pokemon in motion, but at the moment I'm guessing it'll land in 4th or 5th for me.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really about the sales. Let's say they keep releasing games with less and less content and a vocal minority keeps getting more upset and controlling most of the online narative. This is obviously a n extreme "what if" scenario, but eventually they would literally need real shills to keep their positive media presence online sustainable years down the line. There's a reason they basically had Ash obliterate the Alola league despite the majority of viewers probably not even caring about what happened in Kalos. Reports of the show having Ash lose again, and articles asking what's going on with the writers etc are dangerous to public image which needs to be maintained for longevity.
Oh sure, eventually, but I think in the short term it's not going to mean much if anything. If several generations down the line we're still having these same conversations then perhaps something would have to be done, but as of right now all the sound and fury basically amounts to a sneeze in the wind. I'm mostly just speaking to the delusional folks who seem to think that it's even possible to organize a boycott strong enough to harm GameFreak or Pokemon as a brand; if the Satanic Panic couldn't dent the series, then a bunch of folks mad online sure as hell can't.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I hate the dex cut but like the graphics and new Pokémon designs. Everything this generation seems to be doing right is being overshadowed by removing more than half of the Pokémon.

The sales will be fine and the IP will continue to make tons of money. The chances of a significant change to the games based on feedback are slim.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the issue with Gen II is that there's a lot of ho-hum designs mixed with Pokemon that don't have any in-game usage to make up for it. No unique moves, Abilities, etc.

Also the fact many of them were hidden in GSC (some available via random Swarms or Kanto) didn't help.

I think it's telling most of the more beloved GS Pokemon are those related to classics or good like T-Tar.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I hate the dex cut but like the graphics and new Pokémon designs. Everything this generation seems to be doing right is being overshadowed by removing more than half of the Pokémon.

The sales will be fine and the IP will continue to make tons of money. The chances of a significant change to the games based on feedback are slim.

I'm shocked at the fact that most people are straight up ignoring the "game" and dumping all their rage and frustration on the post-game (or lack thereof). I get that some people don't care about the story, but you can't claim a game is lacking in content if you ignore a HUGE chunk of that content.

Nov 1, 2019
Serebii's Galar Dex has 300 revealed, so far, as of today. Out of 400+Mew. They're really out here revealing almost everything beforehand

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018

eh this is a common misconception for some reason. Despite the games selling well, gamefreak does implement changes based on playerbase feedback as far as we've seen. A lot of changes in Sw/Sh are direct responses to critiques made towards sun/moon (skippable cutscenes, more open route design, characters being more expressive)

Of course, something that was as big of a decision as the nat dex removal may not be back-tracked on

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
As someone who has Heracross and Gligar as some of his favorite Pokemon, I won't accept this slander of Gen 2 Pokemon.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i personally think a number of them look like Yokai.

Some of the older Pokémon are based on Yokai, so I feel that this argument doesn't work in regards to the newer Pokémon.

As far as I know, he gets the final word on which designs move into the final product, so he is kind of responsible.

That being said, if this is getting more scrutiny than usual it's because of all the other issues people have with the games. They're just piling stuff up at this point.

Not when it comes to Pokémon design as that is presented to a group of panel and they quiz the creator detail about the Pokémon.

Plus being the art directer also means being responsible for the non Pokémon stuff like the human design and the over world, which he nailed bang on.

Status
Not open for further replies.