• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Honestly the cameos in SM were pretty weak bar the Burnett payoff so I don't mind new characters
The worst ones for me are Adult Red and Green. The 1st protags actually aged upped, talking about themselves and all the Kanto build up with Gen 7......and then nothing. Just a hyper casualized Pokemon Go influenced Gen 1 remake. How the fuck they thought that was a good idea instead of creating a midway new gen with Kanto 20 years later featuring with newly developed areas, overflow into Johto with them being almost one huge region, new Pokemon and regional variants for newer Gen 5-7 Pokemon etc will never not be baffling to me.
How do we know Nintendo isn't on board with this?
This is also something I don't get, if Nintendo was really against it they wouldn't have allowed for it during the Treehouse segment arguably their most important part of E3. They would have throwed them under the bus for TPC to handle the PR of the dex bekng cut instead.
Why people still act like the art director is responsible for all the Pokemon designs in a gen is beyond me. This is the only time a Pokemon game's art director has gotten so much scrutiny and it's literally only because they put him in a direct and told us he was the art director.
They essentially treated the art director as the 3rs most important person on swsh development, if their is major dislike for the new pokemon blame is gonna go to him.
I know this is sacrilige to say but honestly I still consider Gen 2 to be the weakest generation when it comes to Pokemon designs. Gen 8 is still better imo.
I kinda agree? Apart from the legendaries, starters and 10 or so new Pokemon its kind of a boring roster. Its basically the same with Gen 6 for me.

i personally think a number of them look like Yokai.

This is a fire centipede in Yokai Watch. You probably weren't talking about Centiskorch, but it is a good example to point out that blanket statements like yours are not the wisest to make.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Are we ranking generation designs now?

2, 8, 7, 6, 1, 3, 4, 5

The starters, Falinks, Grapploct, and Eternatus bring down Gen 8 for me, but the rest of the designs are incredible. Appletun's already one of my favorites.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually thought about the Centipede Yokai when I saw Centiskroch but in a good way

Like "oh cool I liked that design and I like this one!"

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Ranking generation designs (in terms of favourite pokemon):

7>8>5>6>4>2>1>3

In terms of designs, this gen takes it away for me. Although Decidueye and Minior are difficult designs to top. It'll take time for the score to settle down.

Nothing against Gen 3, it's just that there are almost no pokemon in the Hoenn region that I'd classify as insta-faves.

Hell, my favourite pokemon of all time is Clefable, and I ranked gen 1 so low.

Oct 25, 2017
The worst ones for me are Adult Red and Green. The 1st protags actually aged upped, talking about themselves and all the Kanto build up with Gen 7......and then nothing. Just a hyper casualized Pokemon Go influenced Gen 1 remake. How the fuck they thought that was a good idea instead of creating a midway new gen with Kanto 20 years later featuring with newly developed areas, overflow into Johto with them being almost one huge region, new Pokemon and regional variants for newer Gen 5-7 Pokemon etc will never not be baffling to me.

This is also something I don't get, if Nintendo was really against it they wouldn't have allowed for it during the Treehouse segment arguably their most important part of E3. They would have throwed them under the bus for TPC to handle the PR of the dex bekng cut instead.

They essentially treated the art director as the 3rs most important person on swsh development, if their is major dislike for the new pokemon blame is gonna go to him.

I kinda agree? Apart from the legendaries, starters and 10 or so new Pokemon its kind of a boring roster. Its basically the same with Gen 6 for me.

This is a fire centipede in Yokai Watch. You probably weren't talking about Centiskorch, but it is a good example to point out that blanket statements like yours are not the wisest to make.
im pretty sure im allowed to voice my opinion. and if you dont like that, its fine. but dont try to police someone's opinion.

there is no point in making an opinion if y'all are just gonna say "dont say X because its a blanket statement"

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the older Pokémon are based on Yokai, so I feel that this argument doesn't work in regards to the newer Pokémon.

Not when it comes to Pokémon design as that is presented to a group of panel and they quiz the creator detail about the Pokémon.

Plus being the art directer also means being responsible for the non Pokémon stuff like the human design and the over world, which he nailed bang on.
i obviously mean in the Vein of Yokai Watch designs.

toxic

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Ranking generation designs (in terms of favourite pokemon):

7>8>5>6>4>2>1>3

In terms of designs, this gen takes it away for me. Although Decidueye and Minior are difficult designs to top. It'll take time for the score to settle down.

Nothing against Gen 3, it's just that there are almost no pokemon in the Hoenn region that I'd classify as insta-faves.

Hell, my favourite pokemon of all time is Clefable, and I ranked gen 1 so low.
Mine is quite opposite of yours.

3 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 7 > 6

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Oof ranking gens is really heard tbh

if I had to do it without a real in depth thinking session I think I'd go like this...

Gen 8 > Gen 7 > Gen 4 = 5 = 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 2 > Gen 1

Gen 8 over 7 to me because I'm not a fan of the Ultra Beasts (aside from Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Poipole, and Blacepholon). Overall I think Gen 8 and Gen 7 are the most cohesively well designed and well conceived Pokémon, and both have the very well conceived idea of regional forms.

i think all generations of Pokémon have good and bad designs, but looking at them as a whole this is probably how I'd do it at the time being.

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I see Gen 2 hate in here and it's disgusting. The true order for designs goes:
2 > 4 > 1 > 7 > 3 > 8 > 6 > 5
(Somewhat kidding but only somewhat because Gen 2 hate is unacceptable)

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Oof ranking gens is really heard tbh

if I had to do it without a real in depth thinking session I think I'd go like this...

Gen 8 > Gen 7 > Gen 4 = 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 2 > Gen 1

Gen 8 over 7 to me because I'm not a fan of the Ultra Beasts (aside from Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Poipole, and Blacepholon). Overall I think Gen 8 and Gen 7 are the most cohesively well designed and well conceived Pokémon, and both have the very well conceived idea of regional forms.

i think all generations of Pokémon have good and bad designs, but looking at them as a whole this is probably how I'd do it at the time being.
5 so bad it doesn't exist?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Skwovet is S tier

Greedunt is F tier
Yup. They could have done si much more then small squirrel gets fatter and browner.
One of the few great Gen 6 designs, such an interesting way to make a barnacle Pokemon.
Is the Kalos line the only time the middle form of a starter the most popular one?(Braixen)
Bayleef Grovyle, Dewott, and even Grotle get more love than the final stage. Its not the first time and definitely won't be the last. Raboot is gonna cause riots.

Yo, Tyrantrum is amazing
Best Fossil in the series, the true king of the jungle.
im pretty sure im allowed to voice my opinion. and if you dont like that, its fine. but dont try to police someone's opinion.

there is no point in making an opinion if y'all are just gonna say "dont say X because its a blanket statement"
Fair enough, just pointjng out that there are two very similar concept from these two franchises, which kinda shows that there is no real similarity beyond the concept in the art style or direction.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
If we're ranking gens now, I'd say...

5 = 8 > 7 > 3 > 6 = 4 > 2 > 1

I don't dislike Gens 1 and 2, but they're... old. They have very good designs mixed with very uninspired stuff. And I get it, they were the first ones and they had their limitations, but some of them don't hold up too well, nostalgia aside.

All my opinion, of course.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've seen people say the DexNav feature from ORAS is back. Have any pictures of it been posted? Would love to see what it looks like in Sword & Shield.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The interesting thing about 5 is since it's so big I think it has more excellent designs and more terrible designs than the average gen. I tend to rank it super high since usually I rank gens based on how cool my favorites are and ignore the rest, but I can easily see someone that views it the opposite way and ranks it low due to the endless trash that's also in there.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Ranking gens? Well I did rank them a few days ago, but I have thought it over again, and I have to say:
3>5>8>4>7>1>6>2

I think i may just be the only onee who really likes Hoenn's roster. Box Legendaries are on the weak side, but you got so many good Pokemon in there along with stuff like the Regis, Tropius, Flygon, the starters, Sharpedo, Masquerain, and Shiftry who are all standouts in the series in general not just Gen 3 that I can't help but love it.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Mine is quite opposite of yours.

3 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 7 > 6

Guess everyone has different favorites.

In generation 3, the pokémon I like are Sceptile, Mawile, Claydol, Cradily, Breloom, Flygon and Rayquaza. Everyone else ranges form 'meh' to 'it's ok, I guess'

In contrast, for example, in gen V, the families I like are: Gigalith, Excadrill, Leavanny, Scolipede, Liligant, Krookodile, Maractus, Scrafty, Archeops, Reuniclus, Vanilluxe, Emolga, Jellicent, Galvantula, Ferrothorn, Eelektross, Beheeyem, Chandelure, Haxorus, Mienshao, Golurk, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Volcarona (My favourite of the gen) and Zekrom.
The starters (especially Emboar) bring it down a notch, but overall, the gen V designs were solid when they weren't weak mons (the simis).

I guess Gen 6 and 4 could swap places just because of nostalgia alone and because Rotom and Infernape are in the gen. And thinking about it, the only designs I actually like from 6 are Greninja, Gogoat, Aegislash and the fossils, so that puts it below gen 2.

So:
7=8=5>4>2>6>1>3

The interesting thing about 5 is since it's so big I think it has more excellent designs and more terrible designs than the average gen. I tend to rank it super high since usually I rank gens based on how cool my favorites are and ignore the rest, but I can easily see someone that views it the opposite way and ranks it low due to the endless trash that's also in there.

This, gen V has quite a few stinkers, but almost all of my all time favorites come from this gen so it ranks highly for me.

Nov 1, 2019
They only revealed like 25% of the new Pokemon and Galarian forms.

I meant in the vein of returning mons, ~90% of them have been revealed. Anyone who is only following official news and trusted sources, and hasn't seen any leaks probably wouldn't expect them to have revealed almost everything that is returning already!

There's been 24 new mons+forms revealed, out of 94. Not a lot.
But of the remaining 307 returning mons, 280 of them have been revealed, which is a lot.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
No one on Resetera loves Johto like I do, very sad :(. To me it's the only generation where the Pokemon are predominantly good to amazing, although Gen 4 comes somewhat close (fuck Dialga/Palkia though). The steel/dark types are still some of the very best they've ever done in my eyes (Skarmory, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Forretress, etc.) and the legendary dogs (cats?) and birds are beautiful.
I'm surprised no ones made a tier list with all the Pokémon yet
Funny you mention this because personally I do keep a tier list of all final form Pokemon lmao, it is an impressive visual feat! I will be waiting some time before adding any Gen 8 Pokemon to it though.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the datamine so we can end all this speculation for good. We're not going to learn much more from the leaker at this point.

The datamine, however, can reveal a ton.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Guess everyone has different favorites.

In generation 3, the pokémon I like are Sceptile, Mawile, Claydol, Cradily, Breloom, Flygon and Rayquaza. Everyone else ranges form 'meh' to 'it's ok, I guess'

In contrast, for example, in gen V, the families I like are: Gigalith, Excadrill, Leavanny, Scolipede, Liligant, Krookodile, Maractus, Scrafty, Archeops, Reuniclus, Vanilluxe, Emolga, Jellicent, Galvantula, Ferrothorn, Eelektross, Beheeyem, Chandelure, Haxorus, Mienshao, Golurk, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Volcarona (My favourite of the gen) and Zekrom.
The starters (especially Emboar) bring it down a notch, but overall, the gen V designs were solid when they weren't weak mons (the simis).

I guess Gen 6 and 4 could swap places just because of nostalgia alone and because Rotom and Infernape are in the gen. And thinking about it, the only designs I actually like from 6 are Greninja, Gogoat, Aegislash and the fossils, so that puts it below gen 2.

So:
7=8=5>4>2>6>1>3

This, gen V has quite a few stinkers, but almost all of my all time favorites come from this gen so it ranks highly for me.

Yeah, its crazy how different people's taste can be.

Rayquaza is my favorite legendary and Aggron is my favorite pokemon. Really liked Blaziken, Sceptile, flygon, gardevoir, salamance, metagross. glailie, milotic, absol, dusclops, deoxys.

The ones I liked from gen 4 was excadrill, scolipede, krokodile, Galvantula, Ferrothorn, Chandelure, Hydreigon, Volcarona, reshiram

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Morpeko, the squirrels, the Galarian Ponyta line and MAYBE the fox pokemon are the only ones I'm not keen on this gen, everything else is fantastic. Watching them leak one by one and discussing them with everyone was incredibly fun, easily the best leak cycle of any gen so far.
Shame other things had to get in the way, but it was so much fun when it lasted.
I hope the datamines show us some fun stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.