• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews won't do us any good because reviewers can't get into the issues. Not unless they're dedicated to the franchise. This isn't their fault, and the reviews will be valid for anyone who just wants a 20-hour campaign and fiddles a bit with the multiplayer stuff. But there's too much knowledge and time needed to get into the details that matter for us that they won't have the time to cover. So expect high reviews as usual.

I don't think so, they crossed a line with these games. They've been able to scrape by on the 3ds because handheld, but this being a console game in 2019 on the same system as BOTW will be too bitter of a pill to swallow. That and the Dex culling becoming mainstream news, we will hopefully see some bad reviews.

yeah after watching some of the stream I decided against buying.

noakai

Jan 22, 2019
I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here by even having this argument, I'm going to be honest. There is absolutely zero way to spin this entire thing as a positive, lol. You're fighting a losing battle.

I believe he's going for "other series changed things and the fanbase just shut up and accepted it because they're mature" but I don't think it's gonna fly in this thread lol.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here by even having this argument, I'm going to be honest. There is absolutely zero way to spin this entire thing as a positive, lol. You're fighting a losing battle.

I'm sharing my personal thoughts about the issue. I don't understand why you're trying to make judgements about me as a person.

I believe he's going for "other series changed things and the fanbase just shut up and accepted it because they're mature" but I don't think it's gonna fly in this thread lol.

Don't put words in my mouth or re-characterize my tone. I literally just said that I have an actual problem with seeing other people's perspectives on issues like this and that it can make me set in my ways. I'm trying to be mindful of my limitations here and move on when I realized we weren't getting anywhere. I don't want to do things like when I'd push on an issue until I got frustrated and angry. I'm sorry if my argument is flawed, but I can only do so much and I don't want to be cruel to anyone.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's a problem for me with... basically everything about the number of pokemon in games at the moment?

We've had 3 gens now with very few new pokemon in them, I always assumed it was because they didn't want to let the dex grow out of control because every pokemon had to be forward compatible.

But now we have a game that drastically reduces the dex and we still have a relatively small amount of new pokemon.

The problem with this at the end of the day is that we're seeing the same shit every game, it's a new gen and we're still seeing 90% of the same pokemon over and over again that we've already seen for years, it doesn't help the feeling of staleness the games have. When we first heard about the dex cuts I thought the upside would atleast be that we might get a sizable amount of new pokemon again, but I guess not.

Nothing ever feels new or exciting to me in these games anymore.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yeah so, at the risk of getting more hate, still not liking what I'm seeing on the streams. I think I might just wait to get the game used. I was hoping for a bigger evolution of the series but this just reminds me of everything I didn't like about Sun.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about the 2D offerings in any of my posts. I talked about different incarnations of 3D Mario only and how some of them came at the exclusion of the other style. But if you want to bring that up, there were two console generations where the only mainline titles were 3D Mario games.
I've absolutely seen some Mario fans complain about one 3D style over the other

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm sharing my personal thoughts about the issue. I don't understand why you're trying to make judgements about me as a person.
I'm not trying to make judgements about you as a person, I'm just kind of sick at this point of being told that I'm not as important to Game Freak as new fans, and that my way of playing is gone for absolutely zero reason. Seeing someone try to spin it as a positive makes zero sense to me.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Welp going to dip from the thread. Still looking forward to the game sucks the game isn't what some people were hoping for but I'm still excited

Oct 26, 2017
Really wish these combat environments were more interesting.

Just blue is really unexciting.

Game Freak really doesn't seem to know how to do very interesting presentation.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the water gym right now. Those gym trainers being the same npc model does not look great.

Edit: Yes I know Pokemon always reuses models for trainers, but the contrast between this being on an HD console and reusing trainer models really does not look all that great to me.
It doesn't bother me, but they could have done randomly generated faces and hair. Fire Emblem Three Houses did this with its generic enemy and NPC units which was a first and something I appreciated. Pokemon always has pre-defined art for their trainer classes though, so I won't expect them to change the models slightly.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That game is free what the fuck kind of example is that
You're right, they should have done what Game Freak did with B2/W2 and charged everyone $40 for difficulty options.

Seriously, price doesn't have any effect on how terrible the difficulty curve looks to be for Sw/Sh, what kind of excuse is "Fortnite is free!!"?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I don't think so, they crossed a line with these games. They've been able to scrape by on the 3ds because handheld, but this being a console game in 2019 on the same system as BOTW will be too bitter of a pill to swallow. That and the Dex culling becoming mainstream news, we will hopefully see some bad reviews.

yeah after watching some of the stream I decided against buying.

Nah, I can see it now
"The most ambitious game yet" (because it's on the switch)
"Anyone who complains are entitled gamer babies 9/10"

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
The problem with this at the end of the day is that we're seeing the same shit every game, it's a new gen and we're still seeing 90% of the same pokemon over and over again that we've already seen for years, it doesn't help the feeling of staleness the games have. When we first heard about the dex cuts I thought the upside would atleast be that we might get a sizable amount of new pokemon again, but I guess not.
Zubat, Rattata and Pidgey aren't in but Maractus is. Of all the criticism we can give Gamefreak, I think "we're still seeing 90% of the same pokemon over and over again that we've already seen for years" isn't the most fair

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Those are the best games in the series easily, both single player and competitive were great. Highly recommended.
Yeah I've heard, B/W are my second favourite games behind RSE for nostalgia reasons. But I just never got around to them, I think I just didn't want to buy them full price when they came out and they slipped my mind because X and Y were out the following year.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Probably going to cancel my preorder of the double pack and just pick one. I still have GCU on Best Buy, and I'll get my $15 certificate back, so I can get Shield for $33.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah guess ill dip for now as well. Not watching the stream anymore so if the datamine happens someone get at me!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not trying to make judgements about you as a person, I'm just kind of sick at this point of being told that I'm not as important to Game Freak as new fans, and that my way of playing is gone for absolutely zero reason. Seeing someone try to spin it as a positive makes zero sense to me.

And if that's the feeling you're getting from my words, then I don't want to draw this out, like I keep saying. Repeatedly. I want to leave the issue behind for both our sakes.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The deciding factor for me is Appletun vs flapple. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between those two. Is flapple more attack based and appletun more defense? Do they have different abilities?

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, the Big Boys look kind of stupid seeing them.

A giant Pokemon punching a Pokemon 1/400th of its size doesn't look as good as I was expecting.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was just told by a friend who is watching a stream that you're limited to only be able to catch Pokemon up to a certain level and if it is above that too bad. So.. if you run across a shiny but it is 1 level above what the game permits you to catch it's a case of "too fucking bad"?

I'm sorry but that is by far the worst game decision they've made, forget dexit, forget the mandatory exp share, you can get to way above the expected level of the area with barely any effort and we're also going to allow Pokemon way above your expected level to show up, but too bad can't catch them because that'd break the game?
I thought this was just them rephrasing "you can't control Pokémon over this level" like in the other games. If that's not it, I guess it's a way to balance out getting lucky in the Wild Area but...wow Game Freak. That goes against the entire ethos of the series and makes for a pretty poor way to balance what appears to be an already thoroughly unbalanced game.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
The deciding factor for me is Appletun vs flapple. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between those two. Is flapple more attack based and appletun more defense? Do they have different abilities?

Appletun is more defensive. We havent seen Flapple stats but it is prob very attack based.

Status
Not open for further replies.