• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Whose head should pay for this error then, this has caused a lot of disappointment across the internet and beyond.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to blame Game Informer in this scenario because even the full length original quote heavily suggests that the minor league gyms will be part of the single player stuff. It's not clear if the original statement was bad or if TPCi just did a bad job translating it, but there was clearly some miscommunication going on here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I find it hard to blame Game Informer in this scenario because even the full length original quote heavily suggests that the minor league gyms will be part of the single player stuff. It's not clear if the original statement was bad or if TPCi just did a bad job translating it, but there was clearly some miscommunication going on here.
It's just weird to give a specific number like 18 if the major/minor league distinction is mostly just for region background purposes.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lazy dev posts have gotten really creative around these parts.
I'm disappointed by this comment. I saw you saying how you were tired of negativity in Era in the other thread and that there were a cohort of people always looking to stir up shit (which I'd assumed meant people trying to start drama, and was glad you'd recognised) and here you are needlessly escalating things because you disagree with someone's point of view. I guess all you were ever really saying is you were tired of people being negative about Pokemon :/

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really sure how else to word it. It just looks rough for such a heavy cut in content

It would be nice if people didn't make any assumptions about the amount of effort spent on games that are largely made by underpaid and overworked people just because they don't like the look of something and don't have the experience to back up their opinions. You can be critical without questioning people's work ethic.

I'm disappointed by this comment. I saw you saying how you were tired of negativity in Era in the other thread and that there were a cohort of people always looking to stir up shit (which I'd assumed meant people trying to start drama, and was glad you'd recognised) and here you are needlessly escalating things because you disagree with someone's point of view. I guess all you were ever really saying is you were tired of people being negative about Pokemon :/

There's a marked difference between being critical about something and basically calling developers lazy, which is a bannable offense for good reason. People coming up with new ways to say the same thing doesn't change the message here. I don't even really care about these games and largely stopped participating in threads on Sword & Shield because I have no intention to buy them.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Not sure this is Game Freak's fault tbh
It's certainly partly their fault. If you're gonna talk about something like this it's not that hard to be more explicit about what you mean. Even their correction is still more vague than it has any need to be (a "similar number" of gyms? We already know it's 8 so just say 8. It's not hard) and I've seen people continue to misunderstand the correction to mean there will be an even split of 9 in each game.

We also don't know definitively that exp share can't be turned off because they technically didn't answer that and just said the item is gone and Pokemon all earn exp "by default." And they talked a lot about how they want to make competitive Pokemon more accessible but refused to elaborate on what that means beyond implying, not outright stating like they can easily do, that you change natures. They have a pretty clear pattern of not-so-great communication at this point.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if people didn't make any assumptions about the amount of effort spent on games that are largely made by underpaid and overworked people just because they don't like the look of something and don't have the experience to back up their opinions. You can be critical without questioning people's work ethic.

There's a marked difference between being critical about something and basically calling developers lazy, which is a bannable offense for good reason. People coming up with new ways to say the same thing doesn't change the message here. I don't even really care about these games and largely stopped participating in threads on Sword & Shield because I have no intention to buy them.
Yeah I should have worded it differently. It just looks very amateur for the experience, staffing and resources GameFreak has available to them. It's very disappointing

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This whole marketing campaign feels like a comedy of errors from a It's Always Sunny episode.

The Gang Makes A Pokemon Game

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's certainly partly their fault. If you're gonna talk about something like this it's not that hard to be more explicit about what you mean. Even their correction is still more vague than it has any need to be (a "similar number" of gyms? We already know it's 8 so just say 8. It's not hard) and I've seen people continue to misunderstand the correction to mean there will be an even split of 9 in each game.
What are you talking about? They said eight in their follow up statement to Game Informer.
In the Galar region, Pokémon Gym Battles are popular sporting events, and the 18 different types of Gyms that exist in Galar contribute to the background setting of the story in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. In each game, Trainers must collect eight Gym Badges to complete the Gym Challenge and earn the opportunity to participate in the Champion Cup.

Over the course of the main story, Trainers will challenge eight Gyms, which are all in the Major League. Which Gyms appear in the Major League and Minor League will differ between Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. For example, depending on the version of the game, Trainers will be able to challenge different Gym Leaders, such as Bea or Allister.

Each version will have eight Gyms and eight Gym Leaders that Trainers can battle for a traditional Gym Challenge experience that fans have enjoyed throughout the Pokémon video game series.
Wait did people take Game Informer's podcast quote of "similar number" as the actual statement?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
What are you talking about? They said eight in their follow up statement to Game Informer.

Wait did people take Game Informer's podcast quote of "similar number" as the actual statement?
I hadn't seen this, only the "similar number" quote because that's what's been spread the most, so that's my bad. The rest of my point stands, though. Game Freak is too attached to their secrecy and strict scheduling of reveals, which leads to them not being as upfront about really simple things as they could be.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That quote is still obvious as fuck that the Minor League aspect of this PR Schadenfreude Conga Line is definitely something that exists within the game.
The 18 different types of gyms that exist within Galar contribute to the backgrlund story of SwSh.
Either its something post leagje that TPC obviously doesn't want to market this early, or the Minor League does factor into the story between Major League Gyms. Its existence within the game is still an absolute fact, but to what capacity do the 10 or so minor leaders have a role in story or gameplay is remained to be seen.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Oh, spare me. People can be as critical as they want of Gamefreak's efficiency and design goals without implying they are lazy. I do not think they dedicate the whole day to lying on the sofa, looking at the ceiling while sipping tea. They probably work hard, but are inneficient, short-handed or lacking ambition.
Yeah TPCi

The gyms themselves have puzzles and, according to leaks, things akin to trials that you have to do first.
So basically like any other pre-gym quest from previous games.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, spare me. People can be as critical as they want of Gamefreak's efficiency and design goals without implying they are lazy. I do not think they dedicate the whole day to lying on the sofa, looking at the ceiling while sipping tea. They probably work hard, but are inneficient, short-handed or lacking ambition.

Well, I can't make you stop so knock yourself out.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol... of course it was too good to be true.

The PR cycle around this game is something else.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
naw.

I think everyone takes everything waaay too serious in general but the bolded isn't fully true. People were in the Sirfetch'd thread mad still. "That's it? well looks like they don't have much to show for this game then". Every single bit of news has been met w/ people really mad about the lack of national dex. And this thread here is legit about a mistranslation and is being twisted into GameFreak yet again hating their fans. It has become a self fufilling prophecy of sorts in which anything even slightly questionable is often met w/ hidden Gamefreak am lazy posts.

Look I think the national dex cut is dumb...especially after making such a big deal about the bank years back. The reasons given, as of right now, don't seem to be true (better animations for example). I think the EXP Share all the time stuff is dumb as shit. I hope they balance for it but history proves that to be unlikely. I worry that the lack of reveals isn't them getting smart but actually having a low number of new pokemon. There are tons of things I wish gamefreak can do better. Its just that I get tired of people who are so mad keep reminding people that they are mad in the name of "its just criticism, bro". I think some also go too hard in the paint for defense of gamefreak too and it is also annoying to have to sift through for actual discussion as the reality the overzealous defense also keeps the negativity brewing...if not more so. But ffs, this news should have been met with a "damn that sucks; I wish that was true" instead of conspiracy theories into how GameFreak hates us. That is the negativity that some are talking about that takes over many Pokemon threads...at some point, when do you just check out and move on, yknow? There is voicing your concerns and there is being a broken record.

That's the kind of hyperbole that usually escalates these discussions into this mess.

Most people that were complaining said more or less something along those lines of "that's a shame, I was excited for it", but you come here and claims people are saying that GF hates its fans. I don't know if you just made that up, but if you didn't, that was certainly a very small minority I didn't even notice. Most people are (rightfully) disappointed and making brief comments (some of them snarky, as in any discussion about anything) about how sad this is or about how the marketing for the game has been a mess, which it has (be this particular instance GF's fault or not).

If you can't see a negative thread about Pokemon without coming in to say people in general are abusing GF, it would be best not to participate in those threads. They would just die with time and we could move on to the next batch of news that could be good or bad.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Man this game has been taking away so much hype in so many ways.

I just want GameFreak to spoil me like HGSS & BW2 did but in openish world console form with all the Pokemon in it. Is that too hard to ask for?
Unless they bring in Morimoto as director for the next game along with TPCi allowing GF a longer dev time, then yes, yes it is too hard to ask for.

Nov 14, 2017
Jfc, why some people simply won't allow others to discuss and express discontent about anything Pokemon? This is borderline obsessive.

Like, it's OBVIOUS that a thread like this was gonna be negative, it's about bad news, what should we expect? People are disappointed, of course they're going to complain.

There were many other threads about the game that were very positive, all of the last directs and trailers were very well received and celebrated, people were so excited about Sirfetch'd it was even kind of endearing, everybody liked the new galarian forms, people ARE positive about positive things.

I saw someone in this thread saying every discussion about this game is negative, nope, this is bullshit. It's just that we cannot, ever, say anything negative about Pokemon without someone complaining about how toxic the fanbase is, how everybody is spreading misinformation, how people are attacking the devs... It's ridiculous.

People can and will express distaste when they aren't happy about something, that's part of what online boards are for, get over it. Pokemon is a hugely popular franchise, people will be loud about it for better or worse, and if it seems that there are always complains about it, it's because a lot of people care about the game and maybe, just maybe, there are things that do need to be improved. People won't complain for no reason.
a-fucking-men

I am sick of people trying to stiffle discussion of legitimate issues not just with the game itself but Gamefreak as a whole. I really want to like this game, but the entire hype cycle has been a mess.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I'm not even excited for sword and shield and I pre ordered both games and I'm prepared to lose my €10 pre order or I buy the game and trade it into CEX and get rid

the road to these games is not but complete misery for fans sadly.

When the games were first shown off it didn't wow me or other fans.

The new Pokémon and forms shown off and characters are a delight I will admit that much.

no national dex and cut Pokémon is a travesty and is something that and should of never happened.

then we have exp share you cannot turn it off it's not even an option this angers me the most because of telling us how to play the game and not play it the way we want.

wasting time and resources on gimmicks that will be here for one game and taken away in the next like this giant Pokémon in this game and example beloved features like Pokémon following you been taken away.

The games been so easy sometimes it's not fun to play the lack of a hard mode this is just my opinion and been a fan of franchise since the beginning Pokémon for me is not been what it could be.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I would kill for Morimoto or Unno to direct again. Ohmori and Iwao play things way too safe.

I don't even know them in person or something, but despite all the criticism that Masuda gets, I still like him more than Ohmori. Masuda might do strange things, but TO ME, without any foundation, I just feel like Ohmori is the one pushing these changes that no one asked for. And in the few interviews I've seen of him, I don't know, I just don't like him lol Like when you just meet a person, and haven't even talk to them, but you just feel something

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest...the amount of gyms will not affect my decision of whether or not to purchase the game. I haven't played since Pokemon Red, and I don't remember how many gyms that one had. Having said that, obviously you want to be clear in your marketing so as to not mislead. In this case it sounds like it was more the site's fault and not Nintendo.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I would kill for Morimoto or Unno to direct again. Ohmori and Iwao play things way too safe.
The amount of content jammed into HG/SS and B2/W2 were amazing. Even though I put over 400 hours into them, I feel I took them for granted.
To provide an example, Morimoto himself wanted to stuff HeartGold and SoulSilver with as much content as possible. Even when his team were a little surprised at how much was being added. He just kept piling on more things.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are my favorite Pokemon games for so many reasons and one of them definitely includes just how much you can do in those games!

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
18 gyms sounded a bit overkill. To me this looks like a great Pokemon game regardless. It might be because I don't care about the whole national dex thing either. I love the new Pokemon introduced and I think the world they have created looks fun. 6 more weeks to go.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Every time Game Freak somewhat piques my interest with Sword and Shield..... Well, stuff like this happens. It is an absolute shame.

Arcsurvivor

Jul 13, 2018
Maybe they should have just made gyms harder instead of giving so many gym leaders. 10 sounds like a better number than 18.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Huh, so that means that each game will have exclusive clothes not available in the other game. If anyone doesn't know, you get the gym leaders' outfit after beating them.