• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: rip

So yeah, look like 18 is "hypothetical" Gyms, not an actual number of Gyms in the game. It's still the same 8 Gyms in Galar.

---

1569953174791.png

Extract from the Gameinformer coverage:
Here is the Comment from Director Ohmori:
"There are 18 different types of gyms in this story and depending on which version, which gyms are in the minor league and which gyms are in the major league are different"

"For example, in Sword the fighting type Gym will be in the major league, but in Shield, the Ghost Type. The idea is that every year, the Galar Region is playing and which Gyms make it into the minor league versus the Major League changes"

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So the big stadiums must the the major league gyms. I wonder how the minor leagues play in.

From the new Game Informer article posted Today, at least from what i get it looks like there are 18 Gyms, you can find it in the section on how diffirent Pokemon Sword and Shiled are:
Here is the Comment from Director Ohmori:
"There are 18 different types of gyms in this story and depending on which version, which gyms are in the minor league and which gyms are in the major league are different"

"For example, in Sword the fighting type Gym will be in the major league, but in Shield, the Ghost Type. The idea is that every year, the Galar Region is playing and which Gyms make it into the minor league versus the Major League changes"

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is a second gym quest akin to Kanto in G/S! As in not a full region, but a large area with it's own story!

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I love this! Maybe the Minor League Gyms are optional sidequests or something like that. It's nice that they change depending on which version you choose, too.

Also, 18 Gyms for 18 types.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap. Does that mean the fighting-type gym and ghost-type gym aren't technically exclusive? You just challenge one before the other?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the minor gyms aren't underwhelming, but either way this sounds very cool!

November hurry up...

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, that's actually pretty exciting! I remember in the lead-up to Sun/Moon I thought they might have a trial for each type, but it wasn't to be. Hoping that all of them are challengeable in some capacity in both games.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. Does that mean the fighting-type gym and ghost-type gym aren't technically exclusive? You just challenge one before the other?

Here's what it seems to be: each gym shown so far is a major league, with it happening in a tournament and being fully featured. What happens in the other version that doesn't have this exclusive gym is that they have a minor league gym of the same type. So each region has 18 gyms with one of each type, but a different repartition of major/minor.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So basically:
-8 Major League Gyms
-10 Minor League Gyms
-The games will likely have 2 entirely different major leagues.

The major league being the main quest feels kinda stupid, they should have had the minor league for the story, and post Champipns League you then gain a chance to battle the Major League, the E4 and finally the Champion. Unless this actually is the case and they haven't told us yet.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Can't wait for the minor league gym to literally just be Dave from down the pub because you live in a no where town that has a football team.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So basically:
-8 Major League Gyms
-10 Minor League Gyms

The major league being the main quest feels kinda stupid, they should have had the minor league for the story, and post Champipns League you then gain a chance to battle the Major League, the E4 and finally the Champion. Unless this actually is the case and they haven't told us yet.
I don't even know if we have an E4. If I recall they mentioned the league was a tournament this time

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
I have never played both Pokemon of a generation. Is there a reason to get both? Or are they essentially the same game with minor changes? If my buddy get sword, and I get shield, can I play with them??

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds absolutely amazing.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
So basically:
-8 Major League Gyms
-10 Minor League Gyms

I don't know about them having entirely different major leagues--the Grass and Water gyms that we've seen appear to be pretty closely tied to their respective towns, for example (and I'd be willing to bet that there'll be a Fire gym to go along with them), and while Bea/Allister were advertised as Sword/Shield exclusives, Milo and Nessa weren't. I definitely think there'll be a 3-4 gym difference between the games, though.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I have never played both Pokemon of a generation. Is there a reason to get both? Or are they essentially the same game with minor changes? If my buddy get sword, and I get shield, can I play with them??
Yeah you can play with them. The reason why we have two versions was born out of the desire to have players socialize between versions. You're not meant to buy both.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm concerned these 18 gyms only exist in the "Story" but are not necessarily playable by the character.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Essentially the same with minor changes, and always compatible. The exact sceop of differences changes on the version pair but there's almost never a reason for one person to play both.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
18?! DUDE!
that's amazing.
loving this info dump, that thread about sw/sh being secretive sure didn't age well, lol.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's honestly no point at all. In the past, when there wasn't any online trading you needed the other version to have all the Pokémon but it's a trivial task now. Just get which one you find cooler.