• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These new titles, first announced in a Pokémon Direct in February, have generated a huge response from consumers. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, which were released in November of last year, are designed to highlight the fun of Nintendo Switch in TV mode, for example by waving the controller at the TV screen to capture Pokémon.

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are being developed to emphasize the fun of playing Nintendo Switch in handheld mode. We want these games to be played not only by longtime Pokémon fans, but also by consumers whose first encounter with the series was on a dedicated video game platform with Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!.

SOURCE

Which in this case probably means that there will be less things like co-op and forced motion controls, and the game will resemble the handheld titles more.

I'm okay with that, as long as it looks good in console mode.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all surprised, could see it in Let's Go as well. I just hope they won't be so restrictive with the controls.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
lust let me use the Pro controller on TV. that's the only thing i ask since 99% of the time i play docked.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They say that Let's Go is made for TV, but the only good way to play it is handheld

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please just let me use the pro controller when I do end up playing on the big screen. That's all I want.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Good. Let's Go still looked gorgeous even in TV mode with some fantastic art design and bright, cheerful colours.

Hopefully the pro controller works.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
They say that Let's Go is made for TV, but the only good way to play it is handheld
How hard is it to just let me play it with my pro controller... I mean you can play it in handheld, with a single joycon and even with a shitty plastic ball with a button... I mean come on guys..

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Since I basically play only in handheld mode, I'm looking forward to these games. However, I also enjoyed Let's Go Eevee in handheld mode, the catching phase was really well made - I tried the motion control in console mode only once and they did not captivate me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We already knew this before Let's Go came out.

I think the same as you, probably they do not have local coop and motion controls, those things do not work well on handheld.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as it plays like a normal Pokemon game thats what I wanted anyway. And I hope they dont disable the TV mode or something stupid like that.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing it really means is that they won't do the co-op again like in Let's Go with forced motion controls. It'll be a more traditional experience.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If there is no Pro Controller support I'll just cancel my pre-order, this would be really inexcusable since there is no waggling JoyCon features.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sound like something you would say when you are about to release a switch mini along side it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the battery life ends up being good in handheld mode. Don't know what Lets Go was like.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Of course Let's Go was for them focused on console. For Game Freak, unlike people in this forum, handheld is where the important games are and in console where there are strange experimental titles.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, which were released in November of last year, are designed to highlight the fun of Nintendo Switch in TV mode
Funny they would mention this; I feel the exact opposite. Played exclusively in handheld as I much preferred the gyro controls for catching and thought visually it looked much more impressive on a smaller screen. If I were planning to buy Sword/Shield I would be far more interested in playing a traditional game on the TV

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hope they offer an easy mode where you don't need to fight the wild pokes like lets go... my adult life would appreciate

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
So it's the first "legit" Poke'mon game on a home console, and they're focusing on the handheld side?

Okay.

EDIT: I would appreciate less motion controls, though. Those sucked in Let's GO.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They already said this ages ago. When are we gonna get more news I wonder? It's been a while since the announcement.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:/

It's unfortunate that we're finally getting a console mainline Pokemon and it seems like it will still be hampered by handheld sensibilities.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon will always be an experience tailored for the handheld . The appeal in Sw/Sh (can we just call it Swish) wasn't going to be in that Pokémon would finally be a "home console experience". At the end of the day it was still going to be a Pokémon game; one that just so happens is able to be played on the TV.

The more "handheld" type experiences we get on Switch, the better. Not every game needs to be a large scaled epic, I never wanted to lose out on the prospect of seeing games like Mario & Luigi on this thing.

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
This is just another way to say that it will be the Pokemon experience people are used to without weird gimmicks like forced motion controls.

Pokémon games have always been "home console" level RPGs on handhelds. Let's Go which is what they considered a focus on the home aspect, was watered down in comparison. That's because they don't see handhelds as something inferior at all.
That's good news then? All I want is the possibility to use my Pro Controller or even Joy Cons if necessary.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I like both hands being busy when I game, weird but there you go. I hope we get pro support or you can use both joycons in docked mode. TWEWY was a big disappointment :( I ended up going with the DS version. There are no such alternatives to this but even if I will like playing in handheld mode, once in a while, I like to sit down on a couch in front of the tele.