• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version are you choosing?

• You have my Sword!

• A warrior carries his shield for the sake of the entire line

Results are only viewable after voting.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I love how you make up theories to then support disappointing yourself. There are plenty of unevolved pokemon too. I have no idea how you got such a nonsensical idea in your head
You cant be serious. Fully evolved pokemon exist. You saw like 40 seconds of gameplay and then decided to ignore the pre-evolved ones shown. Yall need to grow up.
They've already shown Pokemon that have normally been ONLY obtainable through evolution just wandering around in the open, specifically, Tyranitar and Milotic. Going off that, I don't think its too much of a stretch to assume that you can just catch whatever now instead of having get the pre-evolved form first. Obviously, you probably can't catch them in the early game, but still.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The models look great, but textures are super rough in the environment. Please tell me they'll improve!

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I love this idea, make pokemon actually a hazard rather than an annoyance to keep running into.

And also, wouldn't gym requirements negate the benefit of catching an early high level pokemon?

If we're talking really high level Pokemon you wouldn't be able run away in battle (due to speed diffference) and they would no doubt one-shot you, that along with only having regular pokeballs at the beginning means you can't catch them with a lucky throw either.

They did say some Pokemon will chase you down so I can see this being an obstacle you have to get past.

Could even be a way the gate the player from going to places there not supposed to yet.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the website makes it sound like one area that can be accessed from almost anywhere since it's in the middle. once again, why does it matter if it is 1 or 1000 if the size is huge? (we don't know how big it will be)

Pokemon Roaming is shown in non-Wild Area. Wooloo is shown on map during the Route 1.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Full battle UI

itjQdsP.png

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I actually wonder if the area between the castle and the main city is another wild area. Can't think of any other reason why the train would stop halfway through.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Sonia's art on the website is so bad. But she looks good though
Im guessing the website art isn't the main art or something? Because they're different from the swsh legendary's box art, and I swear we've seen different artwork for the trainers

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Gym leaders, rivals, Elite 4, and probably regular trainers will be Dynamaxing, so you probably can't avoid it.

Yeah, but once you're done with the main game, you just can forget about it like Totem Pokémon.

Well, they'll probably be in online battles lol but I suppose there'll be some format that bans it.

Wow, I just read that "leak", it's pretty accurate. If everything else is true, I'm looking forward to Farfetch'd evolution :')

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They've already shown Pokemon that have normally been ONLY obtainable through evolution just wandering around in the open, specifically, Tyranitar and Milotic. Going off that, I don't think its too much of a stretch to assume that you can just catch whatever now instead of having get the pre-evolved form first. Obviously, you probably can't catch them in the early game, but still.
They're probably going to be super rare like how it was possible to get Salamence in route 3 of SM, but there was only a 1% of it appearing.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
When did we get confirmation that the "wild area" is just the one area? The VO made it sound like it is all the open areas between ANY of the cities.

Did we even confirm this or are people just assuming? Tried to go through the thread for answers, but it is moving too fast.

The website talks about it as though it's one area, but what some people are somehow missing is that it says it connects several towns and cities, so it's not small.

Posting the text again:

"There is a vast expanse of land in the Galar region which is known as the Wild Area. The Wild Area is full of nature as far as the eye can see, and it connects several different towns and cities."

Bolding certain parts because some people still seem to think it's small or only involves an area near one town.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
So apparently that pure Fighting thing in the leak is fake and he actually meant pure Fire? I guess it makes sense because the wording is a bit confusing when he says the final evo got fighting move ~but~ is a pure Fighting type.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still remember how people doubted me after the first trailer about the "BoTW" thing although it was what i heard not what i saw.

This looks way better than the first trailer and a big step forward for Pokemon games.
Yes indeed, welcome to 2006 Zelda.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
So how is the raid going to work? Online matchmaking?

Got Shield pre-ordered since initial announcement, the 2 legendaries look ridiculous but the Shield one to me is a bit less so.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, liked most of the Direct Overall. Some issues, but I'm generally positive on what I saw. Also using some of the info from here as well for the write-up:

swordshield.pokemon.com

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield | Official Website

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield introduce the Galar region and more Pokémon to discover!

- All the new pokemon look pretty great, Corviknight is probably the highlight of the bunch, DreaNaw, Wooloo and Eldegoss are good to (Although I hope Eldegoss is the mid-stage of the Gossifleur line)
- Zacian is Sif, but I love it, it might be because of wolves though, Zamazenta is alright, I know people are mixed, but I love me some regal wolves.
- A duo of Female Professors is nice, we've been overdue one, Magnolia has a Corviknight Cane as well. Sonia seems nice as well.
- Hop is apparantly One of your rivals, so maybe there will be more than one again? At the moment he seems to be the games Hau, need to know more before making final call.
- I don't like Leon. Maybe it's because he's got a Charizard. Boo. I hope he's not the actual final boss and we've got another Gen 5 villain team is actual final boss situation (Or maybe he has a dark secret and he's the villain boss... could be him or Magnolia, but who knows, we need to see if they are doing a Villain team first, odds are likely!)
- Rotom Dex is back as a phone. I like Rotom but I know it does annoy others, also Bike is back and apparantly Rotom can power it up to surf across water now as well.
6_05_rotom_1.jpg

6_05_wildarea_2.jpg

Also Wild Milotics, Ooh... I want one.
- Wild Area is basically the "Why Not Both" approach for those that want Wild Battles and those that want overworld pokemon. With people concerned about it being one area... yeah, have you seen the Galar Map? The Wild Zone is like, a third of the entire region. I don't think you have to worry about it being small.
- Galar new areas also look very diverse and interesting to explore, I want to see more.
- Alright, Dynamaxing... this is the gimmick of the game isn't it? Boy it feels a bit gimmicky doesn't it? I need to know the full mechanics for it, like what do Max moves do, Can Max Moves hit through Protect because otherwise I see people running Protect to stall through it. At present, they look like souped up Z-Moves but you do get some stat boosts as well (Fairly significant looking at Grookey's health increase here)
6_05_dynamax_9.jpg
6_05_dynamax_10.jpg

I like how every pokemon can use it like with Z-Moves, but I'm sure there is going to be some that get special treatment again...
- Yeah, slight diversion but. We are still doing Gen One Pandering aren't we? Here is the region champion, he has a Charizard, we gotta make that the last shot of the trailer because hey guys, It's Charizard! You like Charizard right? Charizard, Charizard, Charizard. Well excuse me for picking Pokemon Blue. And then when we show off the Dynamaxing first... it's between Gyrados and Raichu. Didn't want to show one of the new pokemon first as a Dynamax huh? At least it wasn't just G1 Dynamax stuff. And the artwork at least uses multiple generations.
maxraid.jpg

- That said though, Raid Battles are great! It's something the Main Pokemon games should have been having for awhile and gives me hopes on this game having some pretty good online options (Bring back Wondertrade)
- I do wonder about Status Effects in raids, Ultra Necrozma was an intimidating fight and Dynamax does try to be aiming for the same concept, but Ultra Necrozma was also super vulnerable to status moves to trivialize it, maybe Dynamaxed mons aren't effected by them as much (Like they never get Fully Paralyzed, They sleep only for 1 turn, take less Toxic damage). I imagine you won't be able to just Perish Song and win so quickly. I guess with Dynamaxed mon the goal isn't to KO but capture them though.
- Wonder if raid bosses can also call in support pokemon. 4 Moveset syndrome is probably the biggest challenge for them, Totem Pokemon solved it with the Supports that can give additional moves to assist like, setting up Rain if they were weak to fire, setting up the sun so they 2 turn charge moves charge in one turn. Heal them up and remove status effects. Stuff like that.

...I think that's everything for now? Box Art could be better. That's all revealed I think.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks great. Love the wild areas bringing back the best thing about let's go (imo), all the new pokemon designs are good too. Not really sure if I'm a fan of the dynamax stuff, but whatever, I guess every new pokemon gen has to have a new gimmick.

Sword doggo is a good boi

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

i mean there will be 950-ish pokemon, please god let me collect some fully evolved ones.