• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
At the occasion of Pokemon Day, a special Raid Event is taking place in Pokémon Sword/Shield :

ERw7cOkXUAAdPQ7

Mewtwo
So yeah, we know pretty well this big boy so why is it the hardest fight of the entire franchise ? I'll let Sceptile explain it with its own words :

Sweet dynamaxing apparition of Arceus on a bike! This Mewtwo fight is the hardest individual fight in the ENTIRE SERIES!!!

Started with a Hydregon thinking this would be just like any other max raid. Team got Max Knuckled and Earthquaked to pieces. Switches to Rotom-W for burns and screens. Starts buffing himself with Nasty Plot then unleashed psychic and icy hell. WTF. Switched to Grimmsnarl thinking I should prankster out a T-wave + Screens. Works well at first except I have no answer to buffs! Not even a team of Lvl. 100 Grimmsnarl, Mewtwo, Lunala, and Tyranitar could take the damned thing out!

I managed to pull it off after I get paired with another Grimmsnarl, a Sun(?) Necrozma with an assault vest, and a Marshadow with spectral thief(steals opponents buffs). This last one proved to be the key, as Marshadow would keep Mewtwo from snowballing out of control, while Grimmsnarl provides paralysis and screens.

From what I've gathered, Mewtwo:
  1. Attacks three times a turn.
  2. Is at Lvl. 100 and is probably EV trained.
  3. Has 5 times the amount of regular health, and six shields per phase
  4. Comes in physical/special/mixed variants.
  5. A series first: knows 6 moves.
  6. Loves setting up sun then roasting you alive with a boosted max flare.
In addition to what Serebii said three posts ago, I recommend specing your Pokemon for bulk and defense if viable - you spend most of the time chipping away at shields. That extra bulk helps you live longer.

My Grimsnarl has prankster and is running Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Darkest Lariat. I'm thinking about fitting taunt in there somewhere to shut down buffing, but I need all of my current moves!

My opinion on this event: It is truly fantastic! This fight forces you to draw from everything the game offers you, train your team to the fullest, and come up with a coherent game plan to handle this superboss ahead of time. This is one way of adding challenge to Pokemon, and it's great postgame content too! I really wish it wasn't temporary... If this is a preview of what the Isle of Armor offers, then I just went from "meh" to "whoa".

To sum it up :

- Lvl 100, probably EV trained
- Not an unique moveset but several (either physical/special or a mix)
- Speaking of movesets, Mewtwo knows 6 moves here (a series first)
- Attacks 3 (4?) times per turn and uses strategic plays (he can also boost his stats)
- Has 5 times its usual health, 6 shields per phase

You lose when 4 of the Pokemon on your side are KO'd, Mewtwo hits hard so you need to bring resistant Pokemon. Without great preparation, you will get your ass kicked in no time.

The event lasts several days so people that managed to beat that beast could provide tips to people struggling against it, especially since the rewards are very good.

Tips : (in progess)

- Don't bring Dark Pokemon because Mewtwo knows Fighting moves in each of its movesets
- Don't bring Rock/Steel Pokemon because Mewtwo knows Fighting/Fire/Ground moves
- Lots of time is spent on bringing the shields down so favor bulky Pokemon
- No Zacian
- Don't forget to use healing items
- Ghost Pokemon are a good idea, especially Marshadow with its signature move
- Grimmsnarl is an excellent option to set up some barriers and paralyze Mewtwo. Lots of winning teams have at least one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eight battles so far. Only one victory. And that's with my max IV EV Dragapult.

Need those sweet items though.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Lunala is essentially the perfect choice to bring here. It's immune to the Fighting attacks that Mewtwo spams, takes everything else neutrally or resisted, and it's ability will soak the first hit pretty well.

Be sure to give Moongeist Beam some PP Ups because Mewtwo's Pressure ability will drain it quickly.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was recently thinking about when they finally gonna make difficult raid battles. Gonna try this out for sure. This could get interesting.

Jun 2, 2019
Got into one of these while shiny breeding and it was a fantastic boss fight, it reminded me a lot to the Stadium mewtwo boss fight

I wonder what do you get for defeating it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
solo raids being garbage means I won't be able to experience it unfortunately

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's not catchable? Boy, the raid must give some bis ass rewards, simply reading the OP is enough for me to not even consider fighting Mewtwo.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I have read that you cannot capture it in the raid. What are the rewards?
Got into one of these while shiny breeding and it was a fantastic boss fight, it reminded me a lot to the Stadium mewtwo boss fight

I wonder what do you get for defeating it
From what I saw, you get 1 or 2 Bottle Caps + 50% chance of having an Ability Capsule + PP Max or PP Up + ton of money + lots of XP + 5 dynamax candies

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A strategy I've seen a couple people use is Marshadow's signature move. Steals away Mewtwo's buffs and causes damage.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Two turns in, it can one-hit most counters because of Calm Mind/Nasty Plot/Bulk Up. I've tried this about twenty times yesterday, no wins so far.

A strategy I've seen a couple people use is Marshadow's signature move. Steals away Mewtwo's buffs and causes damage.
Yeah, I will try this later.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've been farming it with a group of 3 marshadows and my zacian
Mewtwo spams attack on the zacian that lives for maybe 3 hits and the marshadows beat his ass

killed about 5 so far

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I'll copy paste my thoughts from the other thread:

I am this close to lose it with the Mewtwo raids. People are really making the worst choices here.

-Yes, I am aware you may love your Inteleon/Charizard, but please stop bringing your Chihuahua into a Rottweiler fight.
-For the love of god, don't use recoil or recharge moves.
-More likely than not you'll need to use healing items
-Status moves are a thing you can use, who knew.
-STOP.BRINGING.ZACIAN.
-This may sound weird, but you can bring Pokémon that are defensive for once.

It would be fun with a team of people that know what are doing, but my 10 attempts so far have resulted only in frustration.

edit: STOP brining Marshadow too. It dies to a breeze (or a Max Mindstorm)

Best luck I've had has been with a Grimmsnarl inflicting Paralysis on first turn, me setting up the proper screen and somebody ele taunting to avoid the buffs.

I don't know if this is a pattern, but so far I've found that if the barriers go up at the start, it's the special set, if not, it's the physical one.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
At the occasion of Pokemon Day, a special Raid Event is taking place in Pokémon Sword/Shield :

ERw7cOkXUAAdPQ7

Mewtwo
So yeah, we know pretty well this big boy so why is it the hardest fight of the entire franchise ? I'll let Sceptile explain it with its own words :

To sum it up :

- Lvl 100, probably EV trained
- Not an unique moveset but several (either physical/special or a mix)
- Speaking of movesets, Mewtwo knows 6 moves here (a series first)
- Attacks 3 (4?) times per turn and uses strategic plays (he can also boost his stats)
- Has 5 times its usual health, 6 shields per phase

You lose when 4 of the Pokemon on your side are KO'd, Mewtwo hits hard so you need to bring resistant Pokemon. Without great preparation, you will get your ass kicked in no time.

The event lasts several days so people that managed to beat that beast could provide tips to people struggling against it, especially since the rewards are very good.

Tips : (in progess)

- Don't bring Dark Pokemon because Mewtwo knows Fighting moves in each of its movesets
- Don't bring Rock/Steel Pokemon because Mewtwo knows Fighting/Fire/Ground moves
- Lots of time is spent on bringing the shields down so favor bulky Pokemon
- No Zacian
- Don't forget to use healing items
- Ghost Pokemon are a good idea

I find that you really need to play defensive with him and hope that you can kill him before 10 turns. Use a good defensive pokemon (the one time I succeeded it is with Zamazenta and first turn I used iron defense) and when you get even somewhat low hp, heal up. And everyone needs to do this (the one time I won all the people were good at this). Nothing really does a lot of damage to him so it's better to get him through attrition and trying not to get killed in one turn (cause he can do multiple attacks to you... thought I was safe one time with zammy and iron defense on and was in the yellow but more hp than he had hit me before with one hit... cept that turn he hit me 3x).

Oh.. and yeah, my zammy is level 100. I decided to go ahead and level him up... at level 73 he was being one shot by MewTwo (I have a ton of xp candy cause I got sidetracked a lot with raids before I finished the game). My Zacian is already level 100 and I have already trained all his IVs to 100 and he wasn't doing as well against Mewtwo (his strength is killing thigns fastly and he just wasn't doing his usual damage).

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I'll copy paste my thoughts from the other thread:

Best luck I've had has been with a Grimmsnarl inflicting Paralysis on first turn, me setting up the proper screen and somebody ele taunting to avoid the buffs.

I don't know if this is a pattern, but so far I've found that if the barriers go up at the start, it's the special set, if not, it's the physical one.
Literally been farming it with the 2 Pokémon you said not to bring specifically lol marshadows steal ability spam and the dynamaxed marshadow just spamming phantasm has been disgusting
Mewtwo also focuses the dynamaxed one and his buffs are useless

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Is Mewtwo with Shadow Ball a viable option against it ?

Snorlax can tank pretty well so it could be another good option right ?

Deleted member 59848

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
I heard there are also Kanto starters showing up that are catchable? Is that true, and is it the first time you can catch Squirtle and Bulbasaur in these games?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I heard there are also Kanto starters showing up that are catchable? Is that true, and is it the first time you can catch Squirtle and Bulbasaur in these games?
Yes, the Kanto starters are all available in raids now. You couldn't catch them until now, only transfer via Home. These raids also have high chances of giving you the orbs that have been very rare in the game until now.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, all 3 and their middle evolutions can show up and drop stuff like flame orbs and toxic orbs

Deleted member 59848

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
Yes, the Kanto starters are all available in raids now. You couldn't catch them until now, only transfer via Home. These raids also have high chances of giving you the orbs that have been very rare in the game until now.
Yeah, all 3 and their middle evolutions can show up and drop stuff like flame orbs and toxic orbs
Thanks! That's cool. I had already transferred Charmander in and evolved it. I don't know what orbs are lol.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Would it make sense to play Wide Guard during this raid?
It's a tough decision between using the turn to help take down the raid boss or to prevent your allies from being attacked, it might not pay off and Max moves still do some damage anyways. But you do have to play more defensively against Mewtwo. Reflect/Light Screen can be very useful in the long run, since it stays for up to 8 turns (with Light Clay) and in the meantime you can focus on reducing Mewtwo's boosted stats while dealing damage.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Cool. Why isn't something like this properly integrated into the game though? Finding this encounter in-world would be amazing.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Is Bronzong the best possible mon you can bring, defensively speaking?

Resists Psychic, Ice and Rock, inmune to Ground with Levitate and neutral to Fighting. Only Fire to worry about but has good defenses to handle a hit. If you bring the Heatproof variant and you face the special set, it's even better since it doesn't carry a Ground move (I think?). Also, can set screens.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
The question for me is do I want to train a Pokemon that can handle that Mewtwo fight. I wonder if it might be worth bringing in a one hit ko move to speed up the shield depletion.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Been having success with a cleric role for once. Last mewtwo battle my Clefable did nothing but spam life dew. Worked in keeping the other defensive members of the team healthy.

Feb 21, 2018
Is Bronzong the best possible mon you can bring, defensively speaking?

Resists Psychic, Ice and Rock, inmune to Ground with Levitate and neutral to Fighting. Only Fire to worry about but has good defenses to handle a hit. If you bring the Heatproof variant and you face the special set, it's even better since it doesn't carry a Ground move (I think?). Also, can set screens.
Necrozma Dawn Wings is the best for this raid, you get Lunala's typing but better stats. It also knows light screen but usually a grimmsnarl sets that up.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I find that you really need to play defensive with him and hope that you can kill him before 10 turns. Use a good defensive pokemon (the one time I succeeded it is with Zamazenta and first turn I used iron defense) and when you get even somewhat low hp, heal up. And everyone needs to do this (the one time I won all the people were good at this). Nothing really does a lot of damage to him so it's better to get him through attrition and trying not to get killed in one turn (cause he can do multiple attacks to you... thought I was safe one time with zammy and iron defense on and was in the yellow but more hp than he had hit me before with one hit... cept that turn he hit me 3x).

Oh.. and yeah, my zammy is level 100. I decided to go ahead and level him up... at level 73 he was being one shot by MewTwo (I have a ton of xp candy cause I got sidetracked a lot with raids before I finished the game). My Zacian is already level 100 and I have already trained all his IVs to 100 and he wasn't doing as well against Mewtwo (his strength is killing thigns fastly and he just wasn't doing his usual damage).

What attacks do you use with him?