• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[Slight spoilers of unrevealed new Pokémon from the new games]

I'm mostly quoting this article from Polygon:
Despite blowback, Pokémon Sword and Shield's animations are tearing up the internet
Enough of that nonsense

Anyone who checked up his social media feed will have seen that there's a ton of Sword&Shield related tweets making the waves, which was to be expected since it's a really popular franchise. What is interesting however is how people are reacting to the improved animations of the game, which was explicitly mentioned as an area they wanted to focus on in this game. Largely, the reaction has been very positive and lots of memes/videos are circulating on Twitter to showcase the various ways people are interacting with their Pokémon.

Rather than cute, some can be terrifying:

A good part of those viral tweets are the Wild Area pokémon running at the trainer on sight.

And before people think this only concerns Camping/Wild area animations:

I could post dozens of videos, but you probably already got the point. As the article says:
The monsters feel alive. I love watching my Grookey wag his tail. I love watching the way he furrows his brow before attacking a toy. When he evolved into Thwackey, I became mesmerized by his chopsticks. Get this: Thwackey's hair is held in a bun, until he gets into combat. Then, he'll pull the sticks out, and the bun falls down to reveal a mohawk. Somehow, this never gets old. I picked Grookey entirely on the strength of his animations at the start of the game. That's never happened before — usually, I pick whatever monster has the coolest design.

While these running animations are somewhat inconsequential to what you do in the game, they do a lot of work in giving our favorite pals some personality, which in turn help you feel attached to them. I love watching the different ways Pokémon move around the world. Actually, I'm capturing monsters I would never consider in previous games just to see their animations in the camp mode. How will they run around? Where will they hold the ball when the play fetch? I must know.

I even love getting chased by creatures in the overworld now. There's a sick thrill in watching huge, menacing monsters go after me — or, it's silly to watch some Pokémon try to get me.

Yet there was a huge discourse online prior to launch about how the game would have terrible animations based on some cherry picked clips about some early game attack animations (Double Kick for instance). On one hand, it's clear that that discourse was largely fueled by dishonest people trying to spread misinformation and negativity for a game they decided to hate. On the other hand, TPC's communication around the game was also quite weak in showcasing people the efforts put in this aspect. So I think there are multiple factors playing a role in this situation.

All in all, this helps showing the dedication of the animation department of Game Freak/its contractors into making the Pokémon and the world of Galar as a whole livelier than ever before. And it really shows while playing in-game.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Vocal minorities are a very real thing. The majority of the world not only didn't care about the pre-launch complaints, they probably didn't know they existed. But now the conversation will be overtaken by normal players just having fun with a video game, as it should be.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
I saw a tweet about a cinderace kicking the shit out of a jigglypuff

I'm glad this thread got made cause I really wanted to talk about that

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am loving it. Its one of my favorite parts to see how the different moves are tailored to each Pokemon.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The animations are one of the many highlights of this game. Love love the camp. It was annoying seeing people driveby with the basic double kick animation and act like that was indicative of the entire game as a gotcha.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cutscenes do have some terrible (non-)animations, to be honest.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, some people are still trying to twist things as if the game had good animations overall ?
Holy shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People aren't RTing them going wow look at the quality animation they're doing it because they're funny or cute

And they're funny & cute because of the work put into them.

Ah yes high quality animations
Scorbunny3 spoiler

Case in point.
Yet there was a huge discourse online prior to launch about how the game would have terrible animations based on some cherry picked clips about some early game attack animations (Double Kick for instance)

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play a Pokémon game since the last one I played was black, but I think I'll pass. I can't ignore the technicalities and game design flaws, I'll wait for the updated version.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
The thing is all these are reused animations from the 3DS games, including the walking and running ones.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty disingenuous. Overall the animation quality is pretty poor especially in battles. Some of the camp stuff looks nice yeah (camp animations for old pokemon are all reused Pokemon Amie animations) but the cutscenes/battle stuff are all pretty bad

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
They really are trying to dismiss ANY criticism huh?
image0.gif

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The individual aninations are good, but there's not many per Pokemon and theres a lot of issues like them not having turning animations. This doesn't jump out to me as high quality.
People aren't sharing because of amazing animation, they are sharing because of Pokemon behavior and goofy shit.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that one where Zacian shifts direction and then walks, that's my favorite one.

Or the seeds coming out of Grokey's head while dynamaxed.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first one with Wooloo looks pretty awful, actually. Like, the rolling is cute and all, but the way it stops dead and just sort of rotates in place looks very antiquated.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What's the point of posting that gif? It doesn't disprove anything about the animations being good.

The fact that there are a ton of reused animations, static Pokemon, backgrounds and overall several issues?

"Pokemon does funny stuff" is not good animation

This is the Nintendo Switch for crying out loud! 3DS tier animations don't cut it.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Out of combat animations such as in camp and the roaming Pokemon are generally good, while a lot of in-battle animations are not great. The game definitely looks good, but the battles definitely feel lacking. Not just the move animations either, I'm talking about the way a lot of older Pokemon move, particularly flying ones.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inflammatory generalizations
If anything, i take people that think these are anything outstanding doesn't actually play much games, even nintendo ones.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I mean the refresh/camp and signature move animations looks just fine. It's almost everything else that's the problem.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love it when Greedent gets hit a berry falls from its tail. Very cute.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
What's funny to me is that the good animations in this game are still pretty much average and nothing groundbreaking, while the bad ones (which are definitely not rare) are reeeally bad. But I guess this is just nitpicking, cherry-picking, hating and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.