• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to known Pokémon GO datamined Charles we have the details extracted from the latest game update and what looks like an innocent string may be a major detail for Pokémon Sword and Shield.

Among other things, Charles discovered that a new settings screen is being developed called "koala_settings" and that it's related to a separate app, just like "beluga" was.

For those of you who aren't aware, beluga is the codename of Pokémon Let's Go, which has a dedicated settings screen inside Pokémon GO to connect the two games together.

Seeing as this is something similar, this may hint that koala is the codename for Pokémon Sword and Shield and that also the game will connect with Pokémon GO just like Let's Go did.

Furthermore, the codename "koala" aligns with the naming convention Game Freak uses for the main games: always related to nature or an animal.

So the big takeaway from this is that SWSH <-> GO connection seems to be happening.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Does Tyrogue's currently just randomly choose either Hitmontop, Lee or Chan? That's kind of interesting if they're changing that...unless its related to a new Hitmon form?

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, was worried they were going to drop it after Let's Go.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when the hell are the going to retcon Glaceon and Leafeon to the Ice Stone and Leaf Stone? shit's dumb

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
God I just hope this is reaching bore from lack of news, I hate GO and just want Sword/Shield to be it's own thing in line with past mainline games. If it's strictly for bringing Pokemon from GO over to S/S or vice versa, that's fine, but any other forced connectivity crap can go in the garbage where it belongs.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
This news is... not sure, hopefully good. I have shiny Meltan/Melmetal to transfer.
when the hell are the going to retcon Glaceon and Leafeon to the Ice Stone and Leaf Stone? shit's dumb
When they retcon Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon to dawn, dusk, and shiny stone respectively.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Guessing this is gonna be how you get Meltan and Malmetal into Sword and Shield.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon Go delivers, like always.
How the code name relates to the games? I remember reading about Beluga making sense for Let's Go.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I hope this doesn't mean I have to use Pokémon Go to get Melmetal. If so, dang. I haven't bothered with Meltan assuming they would just make them both obtainable outside of the app one day.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I hope this doesn't mean I have to use Pokémon Go to get Melmetal. If so, dang. I haven't bothered with Meltan assuming they would just make them both obtainable outside of the app one day.
Sooner or later it will be an event Pokémon that will be distributed with a special code (Well, nowadays using the new app).

Nov 1, 2017
I'm okay with this as long as Gamefreak doesn't go overboard and lock any more Pokemon behind the dumb app. I'll just continue ignoring Meltan/Melmetal completely.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I need more news dammit

Also, sidebar

Does anyone here know how to datamine apps? Been looking for someone who knows how, and would be willing to take a look into the 'Jurassic World Facts' app

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with this as long as Gamefreak doesn't go overboard and lock any more Pokemon behind the dumb app. I'll just continue ignoring Meltan/Melmetal completely.

You could probably trade for them in Sword and Shield if you want them, they're basically spammed in Go due to how many they give you when you open the mystery box and how quickly said box recharge now. I have, like, 180 Meltans in Let's Go, three of them shiney, and 2 Melmetals.

But yeah, I still agree with you, no more Pokemon behind the app. It's almost as bad as locking Manaphy behind Pokemon Ranger back in Diamond and Pearl.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It could be anything, not just SWSH.

It could be some new hardware. Remember that the Poké Ball Plus has the hardware of "Palma"

It's irrational and illogical to just assume this is for SWSH and means connectivity is coming (especially when this patch is 6 months before SWSH while the Let's Go patch came a week before Let's Go)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I'm not playing Pokemon Go, so hopefully there isn't anything important in SWSH that requires connection with Go.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
It could be anything, not just SWSH.

It's irrational and illogical to just assume this is for SWSH and means connectivity is coming (especially when this patch is 6 months before SWSH while the Let's Go patch came a week before Let's Go)

Hence, the word may in the thread title and if in the Centro Pokémon tweet.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen lots of people say it's definitive, that it's a "Pokémon Sword & Shield Leak" and so forth

Okay, but what does that have to do with this thread that specifically says "may have been leaked"? Not "100% confirmed". Not "SWSH will connect with Go".

Is there an issue? I don't get it.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope there are no exclusive Pokémon or evolution conditions that require yo to play GO.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Okay, but what does that have to do with this thread that specifically says "may have been leaked"? Not "100% confirmed". Not "SWSH will connect with Go".

Is there an issue? I don't get it.
Because there's absolutely nothing to connect it to Sword & Shield other than hopes and dreams

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Because there's absolutely nothing to connect it to Sword & Shield other than hopes and dreams

But the OP gave a fairly sound explanation about why it may be about SWSH connectivity.

It can just as well not be. But then... that's okay? It just gets talked about for a while and people move on.