• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
They are not lazy. They do the best they can with a team that is 15 years behind the curve in terms of tech and has to work to a very strict merchandising schedule. They've now reached a point where their limitations are being horribly exposed.

What's so so silly is for them to claim they remade the models from scratch, only to have them look exactly like the basic 3DS models. They should look vastly superior if they were truly made from scratch for a powerful new platform.
Yeah and combine that with a team that isn't that big and have put out a game every November for the last 3 years and one more this year.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EJOKGPyWwAAUYq6

This was in one of the tweets. I'm not gonna make a judgment on whether GameFreak "lied," but this is going to haunt them for a while if the fanbase has anything to say about it.
GameFreak should hire me for PR. Here's what they should have said instead:

"For every Pokémon game we set out to make a new regional Pokédex of old and new Pokémon to best represent the spirit of the new region. This in itself takes an incredible amount of work when it comes to creating new assets for new Pokémon / landscape of the region / new human NPC's, but also the work on updating old Pokémon's asset and update their old movepools and abilities as well as Pokédex entries to properly fit into this new generation. To on top of this keep continuing to add a national dex that holds a continually increasing number of Pokémon where fans expect them to be treated the same as the Pokémon of the regional dex will in the long run keep eating up resources to such a degree it will affect the quality of the main game. It is with big regret we feel we had to take this step and we will try our best to ensure people will be able to bring their favourite Pokémon to future games as often as possible."

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
GameFreak should hire me for PR. Here's what they should have said instead:

"For every Pokémon game we set out to make a new regional Pokédex of old and new Pokémon to best represent the spirit of the new region. This in itself takes an incredible amount of work when it comes to creating new assets for new Pokémon / landscape of the region / new human NPC's, but also the work on updating old Pokémon's asset and update their old movepools and abilities as well as Pokédex entries to properly fit into this new generation. To on top of this keep continuing to add a national dex that holds a continually increasing number of Pokémon where fans expect them to be treated the same as the Pokémon of the regional dex will in the long run keep eating up resources to such a degree it will affect the quality of the main game. It is with big regret we feel we had to take this step and we will try our best to ensure people will be able to bring their favourite Pokémon to future games as often as possible."

Sorry mate, still not cutting it with me. #bringbackthenationaldex

Nah, honestly this is a much better answer even if the outrage would still be forthcoming.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"For every Pokémon game we set out to make a new regional Pokédex of old and new Pokémon to best represent the spirit of the new region.
See, it's hard because you would get roasted for this as they did say something like that once and people started pointing out recently they cut the Terrier Pokémon (Stoutland), but have stuff like Pangoro in the UK region. lol

But I agree that their PR is bad.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Game Freak isn't lazy, but they do make a ton of bafflingly stupid design choices. It boggles the mind how perma-Exp Share and TRs happened.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry mate, still not cutting it with me. #bringbackthenationaldex

Nah, honestly this is a much better answer even if the outrage would still be forthcoming.
There would still be backlash but I doubt it would've gotten to the point people were outright combing through every vid to contradict the statements made

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
30k people on the subreddit
Twitter trending
Dominating era

I'd say this is one of the clearest examples of the sheer size of Pokemon.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I bet nobody here can name all of XY's gym leaders without looking them up
Honestly, I'd struggle to name the Gym Leaders of any region, except maybe for Gen 1...but that's largely because of the anime. And this is despite being heavily invested in the series and putting hundreds if not thousands of hours into most of the games. I just can't bring myself to give a damn about any of the stories or characters of Pokemon games, so gens V and VII were a real low point for me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Then Gamefreak needs to make it known to them that the current production schedule is going to fucking kill the series if it continues like this.

I doubt they haven't made it known. Everything about attempting a big open area designed for co-op seems ambitious to the point where the same length of development is going to make that very hard to live up to the concept. Not saying it won't be fun, but that aspect of the game definitely seems like they want to do these big ideas on the same engine that just doesn't seem optimal.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
There would still be backlash but I doubt it would've gotten to the point people were outright combing through every vid to contradict the statements made

It's pretty telling then that it's gotten to this point.
GF needs to look at both their PR and at their communication to the fan base.

Nov 13, 2017
Damn, saddens me how much hate X/Y get. I feel like online especially was never better than it was in that game, and the new Pokemon were so good. At the very least, I think the generation was vastly better than the poor level scaling and lifeless implementation of Kanto in G/S/HG/SS, and the endless handholding of Sun/Moon.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
this will not be a popular opinion, but gf needs a 4 year dev cycle and treat it like a gaas style game. add new areas/regions as dlc.
Nah, new gen every 3 years like always. This was I think the first time ever that they did not take one year off in between gens. In all honesty, after USUM came out it should have been all hands on deck for SWSH. Instead they went into LGPE and that hampered development on SWSH.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, new gen every 3 years like always. This was I think the first time ever that they did not take one year off in between gens. In all honesty, after USUM came out it should have been all hands on deck for SWSH. Instead they went into LGPE and that hampered development on SWSH.
I still think lgpe was going to be a 3ds game that they restarted for switch after the switch took off.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

4 year would be healthier in the long run. Games are better and devs are less crunched. We had four year waits between 3/4 and 4/5, there's no reason we can't wait 4 years, especially in the HD era.

Also, HGSS and BW didn't have a year between 'em.

UltraChingon

Oct 26, 2017
soo models look to be the same o_o
well i am assume they are touched up in someway (or in many since all we see is the wire frame)
Depending how the switch/game engine handles shadders and normal mapping
on each model things can get exponentially crazy. Thats not even taking into account how the lighting is handled.
But looks like they got themselves into a corner, they said its new models but maybe its just an overhaul to the old
models (excluding wire frame and i will also assume the skeletal rig).

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
4 year would be healthier in the long run. Games are better and devs are less crunched. We had four year waits between 3/4 and 4/5, there's no reason we can't wait 4 years, especially in the HD era.
If the games were the only factor there wouldn't be a reason, I agree.

We all know the games is just a small part of Pokémon now, though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I'm not going to lose sleep over stockholders not making money faster because new merchandise takes longer to come out. I don't care about them and shouldn't as a consumer. If GameFreak, Nintendo, and TPC want to sell me $60 RPGs that aren't gutted compared to previous games, then this is what they must do, or else they won't see my money.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

The anime had filler seasons before and it seems moot now that the anime isnt even exclusively in Galar. If they really need a shot in the merchandising arm then they can throw in a cameo of a few new Pokemon in a new Mystery Dungeon.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could fill the game with stuff like battle faciilites filled with random generated NPCs and a few boss characters. Just touch up the rules a bit for variety and you have a lot of content that lasts a long time without needing to do too much!!

See, that's where my problem with their priorities is. I get that dev is hard, but stuff like BF could improve post-game a lot without hurting their dev too much and they don't do that because of game design issues ("few people care") instead of technical problems.

I wouldn't mind if the graphics were a bit janky and stuff like that as long as I had a lot of content like that.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Also, HGSS and BW didn't have a year between 'em.

This is where the merchandising aspect comes in, I don't think they will be comfortable waiting 4 years to sell new cards, plushes etc. 3 years should be fine if they are given the proper resources.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Damn, saddens me how much hate X/Y get. I feel like online especially was never better than it was in that game, and the new Pokemon were so good. At the very least, I think the generation was vastly better than the poor level scaling and lifeless implementation of Kanto in G/S/HG/SS, and the endless handholding of Sun/Moon.
As someone who has never played online X and Y were pretty disappointing. I still finished Y unlike Sun which I dropped about halfway through. I've never been a diehard fan. I dropped off after gen 2 like many did. I came back for Black and White and loved it. Then was disappointed by Y by comparison. I'm still giving it another chance with Sword. I really hope it's not as bad as the leaks seem to be pointing towards.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is where the merchandising aspect comes in, I don't think they will be comfortable waiting 4 years to sell new cards, plushes etc. 3 years should be fine if they are given the proper resources.

The problem is by the time we move consoles, let's say the Super Switch has PS4 specs or better, pushing out a good, healthy RPG with a lot of content is going to be difficult in just 3 years. They need to start prepping for longer dev cycles now so they can be ready for that. They need breathing room and they aren't getting it.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to lose sleep over stockholders not making money faster because new merchandise takes longer to come out. I don't care about them and shouldn't as a consumer. If GameFreak, Nintendo, and TPC want to sell me $60 RPGs that aren't gutted compared to previous games, then this is what they must do, or else they won't see my money.
I don't care either but they've built this cog and they won't allow one part of the cog to ruin the machinery. You don't have to like it but we're stuck in this 3 year cycle.

The problem is by the time we move consoles, let's say the Super Switch has PS4 specs or better, pushing out a good, healthy RPG with a lot of content is going to be difficult in just 3 years. They need to start prepping for longer dev cycles now so they can be ready for that. They need breathing room and they aren't getting it.

What they really should do is fully focus on next gen once a game is released and just keep a small team together for GaaS-style updates. Not having to pump out a remake and/or updated version every gen should help.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Simple solution: Have 2 studios work on mainline games. (Gf and monolith soft for example)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just saying, Dragon Quest 11 was in development for four years, and it shows. It's a very traditional JRPG but it looks gorgeous and feels big and adventurous. If we were getting Pokemon games that looked like this:

Dragon_Quest_11__0000_Layer_8.jpg

e8301348-3620-4c47-9862-e1c1f43cc1d1_4.cfc7d801cf558f4c9bab7f344e539150.png

I would eat the loss on the Nat Dex cut. But stockholders need their merch money so I guess we won't get that.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying, Dragon Quest 11 was in development for four years, and it shows. It's a very traditional JRPG but it looks gorgeous and feels big and adventurous. If we were getting Pokemon games that looked like this:

I would eat the loss on the Nat Dex cut. But stockholders need their merch money so I guess we won't get that.
should point out it has a tiny fraction of the models pokemon does.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019

DQ11 is exactly what Pokemon Sword/Shield should be - steadfastly true to the series' roots, but incredibly polished and innovative in all the right ways.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tbh as a DQ fan I feel like XI had a few problems that are similar to Pokémon's HD move. There are few enemies in comparison to previous games and a loooot of recolors, including 90% of the bosses. That felt a bit cheap.

I also feel like the world is a bit small in comparison to older games, so they end up making you revisit the same towns several times. You even get remixed old dungeons instead of new ones in late game.

Still a great game of course and with a few things Pokémon could learn from it, but I'll always take content over graphics.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Damn people really hate serebii huh? I was watching the "2019 corporate slave awards" nomination video and people in the comment section were nominating serebii.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
tbh as a DQ fan I feel like XI had a few problems that are similar to Pokémon's HD move. There are few enemies in comparison to previous games and a loooot of recolors, including 90% of the bosses. That felt a bit cheap.

I also feel like the world is a bit small in comparison to older games, so they end up making you revisit the same towns several times. You even get remixed old dungeons instead of new ones in late game.

Still a great game of course and with a few things Pokémon could learn from it, but I'll always take content over graphics.

My biggest issue with DQ11 is hearing that overworld theme for 60 hours