• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
Okay a few things then I go dark om Pokemon till the 25th of December.

1. What are the actual options for trading like say if I wanted on the Starters or Mawile on Shield?
2. Can you retry like older game to get a lady Starter Pokemon and is still 1/8 chance?
3. Is it easy to get the Sunstone and an Oddish?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I, wait, hold on what?
015 Cut Farfetch'd-0

Original kanto Farfetch'd is the only pokemon that learns Cut? Why is this move still in the game
Apperently yamask evolves into runerigus by... getting it's HP to 49 or lower and then walking below a stone monument in the wild area...
The datamine says it just needed to be level 44

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's like SuMo where that game didn't have a National Dex so any non-native Pokemon you imported just wouldn't be in your Pokedex.
Yeah, I understand that. So they're not like OFFICIALLY in the regional dex. So I am guessing IF they decided to release them through events they would have to somehow reshuffle the Pokedex via an update. Unless they have pre-emptively done that and the dex will automatically give them a number.

Just a minor curiosity I've had.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Okay a few things then I go dark om Pokemon till the 25th of December.

1. What are the actual options for trading like say if I wanted on the Starters or Mawile on Shield?
2. Can you retry like older game to get a lady Starter Pokemon and is still 1/8 chance?
3. Is it easy to get the Sunstone and an Oddish?
I can answer two out of three:
1. You can trade with others in person, you can trade with people online using friend codes (or the weird Let's Go code thing, which works somewhat similarly), and there's Wonder Trade (so put in any Pokemon, receive a random one from someone else. GTS is gone, so if you want a Mawile your best bet will be to use the OT or trading thread here and try to find someone to trade you one.
2. Yes, and seems to be same 1/8 odds.

No kidding... This is not what QOL means, lol.

Apparently this person thinks QOL means "little details."
Okay, what if they're in a pitch black room and they need to remember which Joycons they have attacked to their Switch, huh?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I understand that. So they're not like OFFICIALLY in the regional dex. So I am guessing IF they decided to release them through events they would have to somehow reshuffle the Pokedex via an update. Unless they have pre-emptively done that and the dex will automatically give them a number.

Just a minor curiosity I've had.
Some of the foreign Pokemon have new Pokedex entries.

I'm assuming there will just be a separate section for them.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since no one answered me in the official OT, I'll ask here:

Normally my basis for an acceptable amount of cave/dungeon exploration is Gold/Silver, which is the first time in the series I really enjoyed the depths some caves could have and how exploration could be enhanced with certain HMs. Compared to that, how much does Sword/Shield have?

In other words, how many Metroidvania moments are there where you can go back and rediscover parts to a cave or route you previously went through? I found the Pokemon games always had a nice amount of this that were accessible later via strength, surf, etc. Is all of that gone now? Is exploration butchered?

Oct 26, 2017
what does this mean? Can someone elaborate??

An "extra roll" is the game trying one additional time to find a shiny for you when creating an encounter.
As chain length goes up, the odds increase that the game will do extra rolls for the encounter.
The number of extra rolls goes up depending on how many of the specific species of Pokemon you're currently encountering you have ever encountered before.

So taking the max as an example, you have seen the mon you're about to encounter 500+ times and have a chain length of 25+, the odds become: 1/4096 + (1/3) * (6/4096) or 3/4096 instead of the base 1/4096 shiny rate.

I'm not sure how Shiny Charm interacts with this exactly as it might also be part of the extra roll chance in the table or its extra rolls may always be applied regardless of chain length. The latter seems more likely to me, but one of the hackers would have to look at the actual code.

If Shiny Charm is independent, the max odds are: 3/4096 + (1/3) * (6/4096) or 5/4096
If Shiny Charm is codependent, the max odds are: 1/4096 + (1/3) * (8/4096) or ~3.66/4096

Last edited:

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017

Normally my basis for an acceptable amount of cave/dungeon exploration is Gold/Silver, which is the first time in the series I really enjoyed the depths some caves could have and how exploration could be enhanced with certain HMs. Compared to that, how much does Sword/Shield have?

In other words, how many Metroidvania moments are there where you can go back and rediscover parts to a cave or route you previously went through? I found the Pokemon games always had a nice amount of this that were accessible later via strength, surf, etc. Is all of that gone now? Is exploration butchered?

Judging by the streams I have watched, there's nothing remotely similar to what you're looking for.

edit: to clarify, there ARE caves, but they are more corridors than anything.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

There are two small sections of the wild area that are blocked by surf.

Up to route 6 there is nothing "metroidvania" like at all. Haven't gone further than Route 6 yet though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Virtually all of it's gone, sadly, save for a couple islands in the Wild Area.

This game has been streeeeeeeeaaaamlined to hell and back

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
EJTRLgqXkAEJTaD.jpg
yoooo

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mt Coronet doomed us all, sadly.

I hate this trend of thought that kids = stupid. Heck, today's kids are probably smarter than we were.
I agree. But it seems they must think they're incapable of figuring shit out anymore. Ugh

I don't think I'm getting back into the series anytime soon. If Sun/Moon's hand-holding and tutorials were anything to go by, then this series is no longer for me. I wish I didn't have nostalgia and such admiration for the old games because it's makes it difficult to accept not being the audience for this basura anymore.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
They should just copy Nintendo's approach with difficulty. Go back to D/P levels of intricacy and add a "arrows on the ground" toggle for anyone lost. Boom, everyone happy.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm pretty confident that Game Freak will take the huge outroar surrounding this game to heart, along with the noticeably lower reviews, but I'm a little worried about what lesson they're gonna take from it.

If I had more confidence in the leadership team I would trust that this wake-up call could be interpreted the right way but we're talking about the company that took feedback from Black and White and made X & Y ;_;

I'm nervous the lesson will be "they didn't like anything new introduced in gen 8 so everyone panic and make gen 7-2, no Wild Area, no co-op, very few Galarmon, no open spaces or routes, make towns deserted so we can crank up the pop-in distance a few extra meters, oh you guys missed Bulbasaur — check out ALL THESE BULBASAURS..." et cetera, et cetera.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An "extra roll" is the game trying one additional time to find a shiny for you when creating an encounter.
As chain length goes up, the odds increase that the game will do extra rolls for the encounter.
The number of extra rolls goes up depending on how many of the specific species of Pokemon you're currently encountering you have ever encountered before.

So taking the max as an example, you have seen the mon you're about to encounter 500+ times and have a chain length of 25+, the odds become: 1/4096 + (1/3) * (6/4096) instead of the base 1/4096 shiny rate.

I'm not sure how Shiny Charm interacts with this exactly as it might also be part of the extra roll chance in the table or its extra rolls may always be applied regardless of chain length. The latter seems more likely to me, but one of the hackers would have to look at the actual code.

If Shiny Charm is independent, the max odds are: 3/4096 + (1/3) * (6/4096)
If Shiny Charm is codependent, the max odds are: 1/4096 + (1/3) * (8/4096)

My friend the person to whom you're responding is almost certainly gonna want reduced fractions

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Mt Coronet doomed us all, sadly.

I hate this trend of thought that kids = stupid. Heck, today's kids are probably smarter than we were.
It's just really awful that Game Freak are making these games so mind-numbingly easy because they're scared kids are too stupid to do anything but walk through corridors. I beat Pokemon Red as a 9 year-old that couldn't even read English. And while it was a challenge, it was also incredibly fun to learn how to get through difficult areas. Kids are a lot smarter than GF gives them credit for, and they often love challenges too!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's just really awful that Game Freak are making these games so mind-numbingly easy because they're scared kids are too stupid to do anything but walk through corridors. I beat Pokemon Red as a 9 year-old that couldn't even read English. And while it was a challenge, it was also incredibly fun to learn how to get through difficult areas. Kids are a lot smarter than GF gives them credit for, and they often love challenges too!

I remember making my way through Rock Tunnel without Flash, entirely relying on the "bump" sound effect and the very hard-to-make-out wall graphics, and it was surprisingly fun. Now kids don't even have to worry about missing HM's, but nope, no confidence.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
One of the funniest memories I have of Pokémon is when I went back to play Red in my early 20's. I got to Rock Tunnel and walked in, then noticed I didn't have Flash. I know as a kid, I found Flash easy enough and made my way through it. I spent a solid hour trying to do something I could do easily as a kid.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty confident that Game Freak will take the huge outroar surrounding this game to heart, along with the noticeably lower reviews, but I'm a little worried about what lesson they're gonna take from it.

If I had more confidence in the leadership team I would trust that this wake-up call could be interpreted the right way but we're talking about the company that took feedback from Black and White and made X & Y ;_;

I'm nervous the lesson will be "they didn't like anything new introduced in gen 8 so everyone panic and make gen 7-2, no Wild Area, no co-op, very few Galarmon, no open spaces or routes, make towns deserted so we can crank up the pop-in distance a few extra meters, oh you guys missed Bulbasaur — check out ALL THESE BULBASAURS..." et cetera, et cetera.

"it seems players had a little bit of trouble finding out where to go in the wild area, and didn't like not being able to capture Pokémon above a certain level. is there any way we can gate off sections until they're ready?"

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
It really has been feeling like GameFreak is catering these games to the kids that never existed. I've heard enough people claiming that kids nowadays don't even play Pokemom because it's TOO easy! It's like... does GameFreak not realize who the actual core audience is for Pokemon? Because it feels more like a tossup between adults and some kids, than a majority of kids.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017

I feel you. I beat Red around the same age and with a dictionary next to me because I knew jack shit English. It was kinda cool to play next to the current adapter in a desk taking notes all the time.

GameFreak reaaaaally needs to step up their game regarding communication and feedback. I was hoping for a 79 MC score to really ring the alarm, but I guess 81 MC will make them question some of their decisions (hopefully)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It really has been feeling like GameFreak is catering these games to the kids that never existed. I've heard enough people claiming that kids nowadays don't even play Pokemom because it's TOO easy! It's like... does GameFreak not realize who the actual core audience is for Pokemon? Because it feels more like a tossup between adults and some kids, than a majority of kids.
I think it's from those kids that said gen 4 was too hard. Gamefreak took that to heart above everything.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's from those kids that said gen 4 was too hard. Gamefreak took that to heart above everything.

Ah, fuck. Right. It's weird though because if Gen 5's linearity was a response to that, why'd they go even further away from actual substance? Unova still had some meat to it despite the direction they went with region design...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, fuck. Right. It's weird though because if Gen 5's linearity was a response to that, why'd they go even further away from actual substance? Unova still had some meat to it despite the direction they went with region design...
Maybe some kids said it was still too hard or something, hard to say. This happened with paper mario. They took to heart from that random survey for spm that people don't care about story in paper mario.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
There were parts in gen 1 I got stuck on as a kid and had to look for help online for. The Silph Scope, getting past the guards, Flash, the bike, how to beat Silph Co., etc.

However, Let's Go managed to make those parts more intuitive without bulldozing the entire game into a straight line so cnrhzhhswgzgajsosknfvrhsgw

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
"it seems players had a little bit of trouble finding out where to go in the wild area, and didn't like not being able to capture Pokémon above a certain level. is there any way we can gate off sections until they're ready?"
Please get excited for Pokemon Snap 2 where you ride a mine cart through all 8 gym battles

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There were parts in gen 1 I got stuck on as a kid and had to look for help online for. The Silph Scope, getting past the guards, Flash, the bike, how to beat Silph Co., etc.

However, Let's Go managed to make those parts more intuitive without bulldozing the entire game into a straight line so cnrhzhhswgzgajsosknfvrhsgw
I don't get what's wrong with kids having to think and problem solve. Yea they took it too far, but I think it shouldn't even be a problem.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe some kids said it was still too hard or something, hard to say. This happened with paper mario. They took to heart from that random survey for spm that people don't care about story in paper mario.

Thaaaat's very sad... wow.
I wish things didn't always have to go the way of removing content from games instead of adding alternatives for people who want to blaze through a story, or take it all in and explore the world.

Why is removing options always the answer. u_u