• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Oh yeah, Bede's theme is also excellent. Rival themes tend to be some of the best in the series (Silver, Hugh, Gladion, etc.).

I also love the Elite Four mu...oh...nevermind.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been six years and I have seen nothing but overwhelming negativity towards XY. If there's a cycle, it's very slow.
XY is actually the Pokémon game I enjoyed the most since becoming adult. I think it was mostly the music, settings and pacings I enjoyed. Loved the Champion battle song and ending song. A lot of my fav new Pokémon in a long time.

In comparison SM is the lowest point of Pokémon for me but I was so sick and tired of 3DS at that point it might have been an uphill battle. The cutscenes didn't help.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Bede's theme is also excellent. Rival themes tend to be some of the best in the series (Silver, Hugh, Gladion, etc.).

I also love the Elite Four mu...oh...nevermind.
yeah rival themes tend to be really good those are usually the highlights for me (i even enjoyed 6s somewhat lol)
e4 music was abit hit and miss for me i liked some but some werent great (i really liked how 7's started but it kinda lost me after that)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
yeah rival themes tend to be really good those are usually the highlights for me (i even enjoyed 6s somewhat lol)
e4 music was abit hit and miss for me i liked some but some werent great (i really liked how 7's started but it kinda lost me after that)

Gen 7's was a remix of gen 5's which I always found weird. I think the Hoenn E4 theme will always be my favorite.

I wish Sinnoh E4 had their own theme as well. I think Sinnoh has the weakest gym theme despite loving the region.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Legendary Pokemon always have good battle themes. Can't name a single one I'd consider bad.

Favorite is probably Deoxys, Giratina, or the Tapus.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 7's was a remix of gen 5's which I always found weird. I think the Hoenn E4 theme will always be my favorite.

I wish Sinnoh E4 had their own theme as well. I think Sinnoh has the weakest gym theme despite loving the region.
also in some asinine way i guess your rivals could be considered the e4 since they apparently
they have unique final fight music

Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone so boring in Galar? The interior of their houses all look the same.

1573619341898.jpg
no way ...... is this legit?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Legendary Pokemon always have good battle themes. Can't name a single one I'd consider bad.

Arceus's will always be my favorite because it just sounds so ominous:

It's a real shame the event for this never got properly distributed. This really communicates that you are fighting God.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
also in some asinine way i guess your rivals could be considered the e4 since they apparently
they have unique final fight music
wait for real? I've been trying to scour for the game's music online and it's so difficult getting endgame stuff. Ah well guess I'll have those and the champion theme as surprise

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only listened to the Tetris 99 ripped songs, but I'll say this is probably the first gen I prefer the wild theme to the trainer theme.

I honestly don't like a lot of the legendary themes, but Lake Caverns -> Vs. Lake trio is way up there for me. Really gives you a sense of "you fucked with the wrong Pokémon, buddy."
Arceus's will always be my favorite because it just sounds so ominous:

It's a real shame the event for this never got properly distributed. This really communicates that you are fighting God.

I believe this actually got used for the HGSS Arceus event.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of Deoxys' theme is that bell at the start followed by the low pitch synth before the two combine. It's such a good tone setter.

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: does any other franchise/developer have to deal with this insane level of scrutiny, where people are diving into the code of their games (before they've even been released!) to extract models and text strings seemingly for the sole purpose of shouting "WE FOUND YOU OUT YOU LAZY/LYING DEVELOPERS!"?
Well when you promise X was done for Y reason, then it turns out X was worse than claimed and Y didn't actually happen, then people will be somewhat angry at you.

Also with Street Fighter the opposite is done it seems.
That's been Double Kick's animation since X and Y. Not sure why people are surprised.
"high quality animations"

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
I bet no one remembers this, but Korrina doesn't even use Lucario in the gym. Her ace in that fight is Hawlucha, you fight the Mega Lucario later, even though that's the Pokémon associated with her in all Pokémon media.

I always say this, but the actual Kalos experience is the XY/Z anime. It's where you can actually care about the region and its characters. And I don't even love the shounen angle that much, but it's much better than the game in giving personality to it.

I have this personal theory that they made a whole story and someone told them to drop it and make the plot as minimalistic as possible because of BW criticism. That's the only explanation to dropped plot lines like Sycamore and Diantha being long time friends with Lysandre.

You may be onto something according to the above link:

n the initial story plan, the game's evil organization of Team Flare was an ersatz Men-In-Black. They consisted of aliens posing as humans with aims to destroy the planet. Their mission? Hunt down AZ, a fellow alien who had crash landed on Earth long ago. The giant, wandering wiseman AZ was meant to destroy Earth and its warring inhabitants, but had a change of heart and defected upon meeting a Floette. Unlike the final produced story, AZ would have Floette as a partner throughout, but his Floette's flower would be the key to a doomsday weapon.

XYSider's post notes that "Fairy-type Pokemon had more plot presence, an idea being that they'd be aliens from the Moon who came to Earth even further in the past and had learned to live with humans in peace ...

...Lysandre was intended to be the Mr. Hyde to Professor Sycamore's Dr. Jekyll "a scientist who was exposed to a space rock, with the Lysandre-half being when the alien's leader takes control of him". In short, someone who Kurt Russel would have to deal with.
Apparently the plot point of Lysandre being Sycamore's alter-ego was still included until late on in development, but they were eventually cut into two separate buddies from college..

The intended story for X&Y was off the rails.

The post that the article use as a source:

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
music made with digitally sequenced samples isn't the same thing as MIDI
this isn't really a big deal but "live recording vs MIDI" isn't a dichotomy that exists

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak is a top 3 game studio when you talk about music. All games have generally great OSTs. I just dislike the wild Pokémon battle themes, but I love the SWSH one.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So now the models are the same and the animations are... Well not very high quality lol. So the cutting was mostly because of balancing?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My favorite part of Deoxys' theme is that bell at the start followed by the low pitch synth before the two combine. It's such a good tone setter.

Probably my favorite legendary theme after Arceus. I only learned about Deoxys looking up stuff about FireRed/LeafGreen in anticipation of its release, so learning there was a legendary Pokemon that hadn't been officially announced yet freaked me out. It was so bizarre and scary looking, lol.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
The stats of most of the new Pokemon are terrible. We finally got another ice/water in Arctovish and its are not the best.

And ffs grass/dragon types should not be a thing unless they're fast attackers like mega sceptile.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favorite legendary theme after Arceus. I only learned about Deoxys looking up stuff about FireRed/LeafGreen in anticipation of its release, so learning there was a legendary Pokemon that hadn't been officially announced yet freaked me out. It was so bizarre and scary looking, lol.
I remember hearing about the Pokémon Across America event and getting so excited about being able to get Deoxys... Except I lived in Iowa and the closest stop was in Chicago. Ah, the good old days of mythical Pokemon being near impossible to get.

Say what you want about Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but I'm really damn happy Gamefreak finally gave us Deoxys outside an event.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoenn's legendary themes are pretty decent and Alola's have grown on me a lot, but this is a whole mood followed by a vibe check

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I have a hard time believing with the "importer fuckup" rumour is that supposedly, GameFreak keeps telling people that "we're never bringing back national dex!" is just to hype up a future gen 9, when the obvious damage control would be to say "ok we're listening, we'll revisit the question of national dex in the future, please enjoy Sword and Shield in the meantime" etc.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that "my friend at nintendo" rumor said they had to "recreate art assets," I'd say it disproves it even more.

Edit: This post was in response to someone asking if the model importer rumor was true now, that post has since been edited to a completely different one.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
So now the models are the same and the animations are... Well not very high quality lol. So the cutting was mostly because of balancing?

Not even then lol, the competitive meta will be a mess for the first month or two before settling with a handful of standouts that most teams will use.

Some Pokémon that were useless before will continue to be useless even now.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
What I have a hard time believing with the "importer fuckup" rumour is that supposedly, GameFreak keeps telling people that "we're never bringing back national dex!" is just to hype up a future gen 9, when the obvious damage control would be to say "ok we're listening, we'll revisit the question of national dex in the future, please enjoy Sword and Shield in the meantime" etc.
I mean, this is the same dev that put sound options locked behind a key item that you could easily miss. Its also obvious that Masuda and Ohmori have no idea what basic PR is

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So guess reviewing the music I've found

Wild: I dig it but I can see how it can be grating. The instrumentation just feels very aggressive at points
Trainer: I think this is one of the best trainer themes in the series. The sequence right after the beginning starting with the guitars and a sort of strings is so hype. Also having the Pokemon theme integrated into it is also nice. I'm a little shocked at the muted reaction because I just like it the more I hear it
Dynamax: At first listen I thought it was a little lame but I sort of grew on it. Still one of the weaker entries in the OST
Gym Battle: Fantastic. I just love the way they handled the dynamic music and it's a genuine bop too. The chants are imo a better utilization of the final Pokemon concept from Gen 5 and are more in line with the presentation of the game. Just a top tier Pokemon song
Hop: Weakest of the rival themes but it's nice and cheery and I can dig it
Bede: Just awesome. Gen 5 as fuck and the bass and sort of aggressive synths work so well. It definitely feels like it's taking after Gladion's theme but I don't care I could listen to battle themes in the vein of them all day.
Marnie: Top Tier rival theme and might be my favorite. I love this song so much especially how the chants are integrated. Props to GF for managing to integrate crowd chants as an instrument and passing with flying colors.
Team Yell: It rocks and that's all I can say. I enjoy listening to it but I don't have much enthusiasm to listen to it much afterwards
toby fox: It's peak toby fox so yeah fantastic song. Among the best in the OST already

Oleana: Feels like the Aether Foundation theme and I'm okay with that in the same way I'm okay with Bede theme being Gladion 2.0.
Chairman Rose: Feels too epic for the type of character Rose is. I haven't seen how his battle is yet but nothing about this guy screams being worthy of JRPG final boss chants
Eternatus: I was alright listening to them but in the time I did this write down I kind of already forgot about the songs so yeah kind of low overall compared to the others.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not even then lol, the competitive meta will be a mess for the first month or two before settling with a handful of standouts that most teams will use.

Some Pokémon that were useless before will continue to be useless even now.
I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt since I never dabbled in the competitive scene, but now there's no reasons left of what they've said then lol

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like my knowledge of 3D animations and modelling is too limited to have an opinion here. I never expected them to actually remake models from scratch due to how they were already high quality and made futureproof but is that the whole story? I'll wait for actual experts in the field comment how much work the transition from SM to SwSh could realistically have taken after analyzing the game.

It was always stupid of GameFreak to always use this as their main justification for no more natdex anyway since I imagine it was just one of many reasons.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
EJOKGPyWwAAUYq6

This was in one of the tweets. I'm not gonna make a judgment on whether GameFreak "lied," but this is going to haunt them for a while if the fanbase has anything to say about it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Gamefreak not telling us about the GTS cut is way more offensive than maybe lying about the models.

I'm still in fucking disbelief over that one.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Drive-By Trolling; Account in Junior Phase
Hot take: Game freak is a lazy game dev.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
honestly we are kinda getting what I expected 24 months isnt a lot of dev time as is, and it seems they had dev issues.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like my knowledge of 3D animations and modelling is too limited to have an opinion here. I never expected them to actually remake models from scratch due to how they were already high quality and made futureproof but is that the whole story? I'll wait for actual experts in the field comment how much work the transition from SM to SwSh could realistically have taken after analyzing the game.

It was always stupid of GameFreak to always use this as their main justification for no more natdex anyway since I imagine it was just one of many reasons.
someone mentioned in the thread a while back about some of the difficulties (ive only dabbled in 3d animation models for class and stuff and depending on the engines used a variety of issues can occur from the rigs breaking to textures not working etc etc. and that stuff can take a lot of time).

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Hot take: Game freak is a lazy game dev.

They are not lazy. They do the best they can with a team that is 15 years behind the curve in terms of tech and has to work to a very strict merchandising schedule. They've now reached a point where their limitations are being horribly exposed.

What's so so silly is for them to claim they remade the models from scratch, only to have them look exactly like the basic 3DS models. They should look vastly superior if they were truly made from scratch for a powerful new platform.