• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. The Smogon testing thread has found that Life Orb and Super Fang work off of a Dynamaxed Pokemon's base form HP.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finding it amusing that initial impressions of the Dynamax mechanic are that it's even more powerful of a mechanic than Mega Pokemon, and Pokemon like Gyarados are running roughshod with it.

Oct 25, 2017
So Dynamax pretty much just makes everybody Blissey for 3 turns? That sounds really bad for sweepers that are already hard enough to kill as is.

A few questions tho regarding this:
- Does recover apply to the base HP or dyna?
- What's the HP multiplier for dynamax?
- Are status moves unaffected by Dynamax? As in can a Dynamax Gyarados for example just spend 3 turns Dragon Dancing to become unkillable?
- What is Shedinja's Dyna HP?
- What happens to HP when going back from Dynamax? Does it shave off any excess HP or scale it back down by the multiplier? (ie will an Dynamax Quagsire who's taken 33% while dynamaxed go back to normal with full HP or with 67% HP?)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So who we thinking for Sinnoh Remake G-Max?

Bronzing that turns into a Bell tower is an obvious one imo

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
They also found that you stop being choice locked but haven't figured out whether you keep the boosts. And they've confirmed that you're immune to phasing (Red card is consumed but whiffs)

A few questions tho regarding this:
- Does recover apply to the base HP or dyna? TBA. You can't use Recover while Dynamaxed but your allies/items/terrain could still heal you and that hasn't been tested.
- What's the HP multiplier for dynamax? 150-200% depending on Dynamax level
- Are status moves unaffected by Dynamax? As in can a Dynamax Gyarados for example just spend 3 turns Dragon Dancing to become unkillable? All Status moves turn into Max Guard (Protect)
- What is Shedinja's Dyna HP? TBA
- What happens to HP when going back from Dynamax? Does it shave off any excess HP or scale it back down by the multiplier? (ie will an Dynamax Quagsire who's taken 33% while dynamaxed go back to normal with full HP or with 67% HP?) As far as we know it scales back down, so you effectively have +2/+2 for 3 turns

I really hope Shedinja goes up to 2HP because that would be hilarious

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
If the gyms also get to gigantomax (either at first or in the post game) then their aces probably get gigantamaxes too:
-Rampardos
-Roserade
-Lucario
-Floatzel
-Mismagius
-Bastiodon
-Abomasnow
-Luxray or Electivire depending on the team they go with

Cynthia obviously gets g-max Garchomp. If the e4 sticka round and also get to gigantomax then Drapion, Infernape/Magmortar, Hippowdon/Rhyperior, Bronzong/Gallade too

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
How much do you interact with your cover legendary in the game? My wife is trying to decide between Sword and Shield. She like the Pokémon in Shield more than the ones in Sword, but likes Zacian more than Zamazenta.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
How much do you interact with your cover legendary in the game? My wife is trying to decide between Sword and Shield. She like the Pokémon in Shield more than the ones in Sword, but likes Zacian more than Zamazenta.
I think you spend more time with the unarmored forms which look a bit different and made me do a 180 on preference between Zacian and Zamazenta.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So who we thinking for Sinnoh Remake G-Max?

Bronzing that turns into a Bell tower is an obvious one imo
I was thinking of Gym Leader G Max Aces

Roark: Rampardos
Gardenia: Roserade
Fantina: Mismagius
Maylene: Lucario
Wake: Gyarados or Floatzel
Byron: Bastidon
Candace: Frosslass or Abomasnow
Volkner: Electivire or Luxray

Aaron: Vespiquen or Drapion
Bertha: Hippowdon
Flint: Magmortar
Lucian: Bronzong or Gallade

Cynthia: Garchomp

Seems like a cool spread. Would like to see how they would actually be

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Big picture of it-
ZKvEfav.jpg

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
If the gyms also get to gigantomax (either at first or in the post game) then their aces probably get gigantamaxes too:
-Rampardos
-Roserade
-Lucario
-Floatzel
-Mismagius
-Bastiodon
-Abomasnow
-Luxray or Electivire depending on the team they go with

Cynthia obviously gets g-max Garchomp. If the e4 sticka round and also get to gigantomax then Drapion, Infernape/Magmortar, Hippowdon/Rhyperior, Bronzong/Gallade too
You really think that the Gamefreak of today will give Roark Rampardos (or let Gardenia keep Roserade instead of nerfing it into Roselia)?

Aside from that, the rest seem fairly reasonable. Maybe substitute Abomasnow for Froslass for Candice?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
every Pokemon can do it, and budget is saved by most of them just using upscaled models.

that and they insist on a new gimmick new every gen it seems.

competitively? it increases your HP stat only. Max Moves do Z-move type damage (not as extreme) and a secondary effect.
Since Dynamaxed Pokemon can hold held items, Max Moves with an offensive item should do a similar amount of damage to Z-moves (i.e. a 130 power Max Move*1.3 from Life Orb=169 power, roughly equivalent to most Z-moves in Gen 7)

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Am I the only one around here in physical pain due to Polteageist not learning Scald?

Lucario

Oct 26, 2017
gay
Is there a way to change the NPC trainers who battle with you during max raids? Because oof, I figured they'd scale as I leveled up and they.... super don't. I'm playing with my bf and the two added NPCs are extremely consistent in sending out garbage pokemon that are weak to whatever the raid boss is.

Can't beat 5 star raids due to the "four deaths and you're out thing," despite neither of us ever having our pokemon faint.

Oh, and also.... why the hell do NPCs even have wobbuffet? It even seems bugged, countering before the raid boss makes a move half the time for some reason! I've seen it in more than two dozen battles and it has never once damage to a raid boss.

That said - I'm post elite 4 and enjoying myself quite a bit despite the game's flaws. It's definitely a stronger entry than XY.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You really think that the Gamefreak of today will give Roark Rampardos (or let Gardenia keep Roserade instead of nerfing it into Roselia)?

Aside from that, the rest seem fairly reasonable. Maybe substitute Abomasnow for Froslass for Candice?
Well I don't think Roark will get Rampardos in his first battle, of course, but in his rematch it'd make sense.
Gardenia I can see keeping Roserade in a remake, sure. They let Misty keep her Starmie in Let's Go, they even made the thing more dangerous by giving it Scald. What they'll probably do is just nerf the levels instead.

Froslass instead of Abomasnow would also work, forgot she changed her ace in platinum.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change the NPC trainers who battle with you during max raids? Because oof, I figured they'd scale as I leveled up and they.... super don't. I'm playing with my bf and the two added NPCs are extremely consistent in sending out garbage pokemon that are weak to whatever the raid boss is.

Can't beat 5 star raids due to the "four deaths and you're out thing," despite neither of us ever having our pokemon faint.

Oh, and also.... why the hell do NPCs even have wobbuffet? It even seems bugged, countering before the raid boss makes a move half the time for some reason! I've seen it in more than two dozen battles and it has never once damage to a raid boss.

That said - I'm post elite 4 and enjoying myself quite a bit despite the game's flaws. It's definitely a stronger entry than XY.
You know where to find me if you need me to carry you through raids :P

Wait how the fuck did you beat it already I no lifed it since 9 AM yesterday and I am still only at the final part of the story PLSSSSSSSS

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I'm finding it amusing that initial impressions of the Dynamax mechanic are that it's even more powerful of a mechanic than Mega Pokemon, and Pokemon like Gyarados are running roughshod with it.

It's definitely going to be some hard broken bullshit seeing as how it ONLY boosts HP, and every Pokémon can do it. Wait until people troll spam Ferrothorns and other annoying as fuck stallmon shitters with gigamax.
That or hard hitting Pokémon that ABSOLUTELY do not need more HP using that to normally survive OHKO moves and just do sweeps.

(It is funny though on the reverse side they can just get decimated on the same turn they dynamax.)

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Don't all three legendary Pokemon have access to a move that does double damage to Dynamax Pokemon? If you have them at level 100, you can probably one shot or two shot a lot of the raid Pokemon that way.