• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
luiFx1p.png

Best viewed in Dark mode!

49n0HJC.png

Release Date: March 24, 2011 (Browser)
Developer: Dire Wolf Digital
Publisher: The Pokémon Company
Platforms: Browser (discontinued), PC, Mac, iPad, Android
Price: Free to Play

Overview
Pokémon Trading Card Game Online is the official online version of the famous Pokémon TCG that was launched in 1996 quickly after the first video games came out.
Since 2011, players can enjoy the card game online and use codes they find inside their real life booster packs to get a free booster pack in the online game.
PTCGO is always up to date with the latest expansions and features of the real life variant.

lDHSRY5.png

Play Tab
Here you will find all the menus to play the game!

jkPSSuN.png

Trainer Challenge
Compete against the AI with three free themed decks that earn new cards after each victory! Trainer Challenge is the perfect way to get introduced to the Pokémon TCG as the opponents use only basic decks and minimal strategies.

Versus
If you wanna be the very best, you'll have to compete in Versus mode! In here, you will play against real opponents. But don't worry, you will not be crushed for hours on end as a new player, because there a multiple formats to play in.

Versus Formats
Themed Decks
Play in a mode where only Themed Decks are allowed! Themed Decks are usually build upon one major Pokémon and a easy to play strategy. In this mode, you will face your first real opponents and learn more about strategy and combos.​

Standard
Standard is the main format you should focus on after learning the basics and getting some better cards. Only cards from the last two majors expansions are allowed in this format which limits the possibilities but allowes the Meta to be easier to understand.​

Extended
As its name suggests, Extended is a format that uses cards from more expansions than Standard. New players will have trouble finding a lot of cards from previous expansions, which is why they should only play this format if they are prepared to invest a lot of money into the game.​

Events
Play tournaments with 7 other players to compete for tradable prizes! Tournaments exist in 3 formats aswell: Themed, Standard and Extended. To be able to enter a tournament, you need to spend the needed amount of tickets. Players earn tickets by playing the Versus mode

Cards Tab
In here you'll find everything related to your cards.

NJtck7Y.jpg

Collection
Browse your collection and tag cards as favorites, for want or for sale. Not the best interface when you have large collections, but at least the filter and search options are decent enough when you're looking for something specific.

Deck Manager
In here you will find all you existing decks that you made as well as any Themed Deck you own.

Trading
Trade you cards to other players worldwide for a small coin fee! Only cards and packs that you bought in real life, or won in events, are tradable.

Shop & Redeem Tab
Buy new packs and Themed decks and redeem your codes to get new cards and Themed decks!

dJ9TkjJ.png

Shop
Buy booster packs, Themed Decks and accessories with Trainer Coins. Those items are not tradable!

Redeem Codes
Redeem your code from you real life purchases! This is basically the Pokémon TCGO equivalent to microtransactions.

Profile Tab
Check your daily challenges and modify the look of your avatar in here.

elsEr4d.jpg

Change the gender, look and clothes of your avatar. New clothing can be won through promo codes and items from the ingame shop.

Challenges
Check your daily challenge in here. Challenges allow you to earn Experience Points.
At level 5, you will be able to unlock a second daily challenge! If you don't like the challenge, you can drop it and get a new one once per day.

Statistics
Take a look at some basic statistics on your matches and your collection.

Z8k8FuY.png

Will be expanded later.
Free to Play players:
  • Play against all trainers in Trainer Challenge at least once.
  • Once you have 500 Trainer Coins, buy the Mach Strike Themed Deck in the Shop. It is currently the best Themed Deck.
  • Play against all trainers in Trainer Challenge again but using different decks. If you win with 4 different Themed Decks against a single trainer, you will earn a free booster!
  • Once you feel comfortable with your new Themed Deck, try out some Themed Deck Versus!
  • Grind the Versus Mode for daily unlocks. You will earn Trainer Coins, Event Tickets and even some boosters for up to 12 wins per day!
  • Once you have enough cards, start creating a Standard Deck. You might lose a bit in the beginning but with the hidden MMR (Matchmaking statistics) you should quickly play against people that have your skill and Deck quality.
  • Repeat the last two steps!
  • Play Events to earn tradable cards.
Non-Free to Play players:
  • Follow the same steps as above to earn some free boosters but feel free to try out Standard Versus sooner!

Nd5oTX4.png

To be continued.
SS8gT34.png

Q: I can't download the game on my smartphone!
A: For mobile devices, the game is only available for Tablets. Fortunately, you can download the .apk (for Android smartphones) on websites like apkmirror. Of course, you'll need to download the newest version manually after each update.

Q: I'd like to buy cards, but I don't want to spend money on real cards. What can I do?
A: You can buy extremely cheap codes on eBay (about 25cents/booster) or websites like Professor Oak. (I am in no way affiliated to that website and won't guarantee that you won't be scammed, but a lot of people use it without any issue despite its very 90's look.)

Will be completed.

ln9W2Gf.png

S1Vj3ys.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll update the OT as soon as I got more time. Feel free to discuss the IRL game as well :)

In the meantime, here's my kinda budget Standard Gardevoir-GX deck that I managed to build after 2 weeks of playing and buying very few cards IRL:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Diancie BUS 94
* 4 Ralts BUS 91
* 3 Kirlia BUS 92
* 3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 N DEX 96
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Fisherman BKT 136
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Switch BCR 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 13

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 9 Fairy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

It runs fairly well against almost everything, unless I don't manage to get at least 1 Pokémon on the bench turn 2.

Also I'm looking for two Tapu Lele-GX, so if anyone wants to trade, PM me!

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Has it gotten better? Played it a couple of years ago but they kept screwing with the app and kept making it worse. Had to eventually just give up on it.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has it gotten better? Played it a couple of years ago but they kept screwing with the app and kept making it worse. Had to eventually just give up on it.
I play mostly on PC but I got the app on my smartphone too and it doesn't seem bad for the few games I played :)

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017

Sadly, they kept the drag-and-drop interface (instead of the old "click to play card" one). The client got some nice updates though. Mulligans are quick, coin flips have a time limit, matchmaking is really fast and token rewards for the ladder improved. Oh, they removed Legacy tournaments too :/

Edit: protip for every player: use this card value page so you don't get ripped off. It's updated frequently.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who used to play this as a free to play player, here's some extra tips I didn't see in the OP yet:
  • Playing Theme Deck tournaments is easily the best way to get tradeable booster packs, which are used as currency on the marketplace for buying cards. If you want to make a decent deck, focus on these tournaments until you get a decent number of boosters, then buy the cards you need of the marketplace.
  • NEVER open tradeable booster packs. The odds of getting something useful are super small. These boosters should only be used on the marketplace. Particularly since as a free to play player you'll have a limited access to them.
  • Youtube is a pretty good way to find budget decks. And when starting, I'd definitely recommend you look up a deck before spending hard earned currency, since Pokemon TCG deck building can be counter-intuitive to beginners (the crappy starter decks don't help, since they are build completely wrong).
It'll still take forever to get a top tier deck (since they all basically need Tapu-Lele's which cost a fortune), but you can get an okay budget deck up in a decent amount of time.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Question for all the veterans: my GF took a liking to the game (I initially bought 2 Themed Decks for the codes inside, now we're playing basically everynight) and playing the same decks all the time gets kinda annoying.
What would you do in this situation? Of course, simply buying other Themed Decks will not last in the long run.

I got some cards on the side from some boosters, but nothing to really contribute to some deckbuilding.

Thanks!

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Question for all the veterans: my GF took a liking to the game (I initially bought 2 Themed Decks for the codes inside, now we're playing basically everynight) and playing the same decks all the time gets kinda annoying.
What would you do in this situation? Of course, simply buying other Themed Decks will not last in the long run.

I got some cards on the side from some boosters, but nothing to really contribute to some deckbuilding.

Thanks!
What the people around me did that couldn't afford tons of new decks(or those who wanted to test out an idea before splurging on high cost cards) is make proxies.

Just put random cards(we use the oh so plentiful energies) in sleeves, and then print out cards, cut them out, and slip them in as well.

We would test out sets before their release doing this, just an idea.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What the people around me did that couldn't afford tons of new decks(or those who wanted to test out an idea before splurging on high cost cards) is make proxies.

Just put random cards(we use the oh so plentiful energies) in sleeves, and then print out cards, cut them out, and slip them in as well.

We would test out sets before their release doing this, just an idea.
Yeah I did that a lot when I was actively playing MTG, but that was when I was at my parents'. I don't have a printer now unfortunately.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Bumping to point out the new Versus ladder rewards: Hypnotoxic Laser cards, Computer Search (pretty much essential in the Expanded format and previously hard to obtain, as tradable copies are really expensive) and full-art N (supporter).

I've read that there were less than 0.1% of players who played legacy, so I guess that's not really their fault.

That's mostly because legacy cards are really expensive to obtain. Hopefully they include it back as they reintroduce the older packs in the in-game shop and more people obtain playable cards from the format.

Last edited:

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How is my deck looking?

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Kangaskhan SUM 99
* 2 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Spinda SUM 102
* 1 Tauros XY 100
* 3 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 63
* 1 Drowzee EVO 49
* 1 Drowzee SUM 59
* 1 Mimikyu GRI 58
* 1 Nihilego-GX CIN 103
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Hypno SUM 60
* 2 Lunala GRI 61

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 1 Fisherman BKT 136
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Altar of the Moone GRI 117
* 3 Hau SUM 120
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 20

* 1 Counter Energy CIN 100
* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 15 Psychic Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I've been getting some pretty decent win streaks and have around an 85% win rate with this deck, but I'm still looking to improve it a bit if possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
At SDCC my 6 year old and I played a "learn to play" event and he's hooked. I grabbed him a Celestial Storm elite trainer box and he pulled 2 GX and 2 prism cards which seems good.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh i found the thread!

I just got really into the TCG and i was wondering if ERA plays...

Love the game! If anyone wants to trade or battle i'll be happy to!

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi. Sorry to bump this old thread but I can't find a new one. Where people discuss pokémon cards here on Era? Also tips for meta decks.