• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm a shrewd and joyless cynic who takes no pleasure in anything, but I really liked Hau. His relentless optimism was something I appreciated.

I really disliked how he was constantly grinning from ear to ear. He took away any sort of gravitas, for small as it was, from any scene he was in. Remember all the stuff that happens in Aether Paradise? As soon as Hau enters the scene, he starts with his cartoonish shenanigans.

Ugh. The worst. I would settle for any other rival/companion. Even the blandest of the bunch would be an improvement.

#BringWallyBack
#???DidNothingWrong

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really disliked how he was constantly grinning from ear to ear. He took away any sort of gravitas, for small as it was, from any scene he was in. Remember all the stuff that happens in Aether Paradise? As soon as Hau enters the scene, he starts with his cartoonish shenanigans.

Ugh. The worst. I would settle for any other rival/companion. Even the blandest of the bunch would be an improvement.

#BringWallyBack
#???DidNothingWrong

Hau's extreme positivity is eventually challenged, though. He is a young man who constantly believes the best of people and looks for the upside of every situation. But when Lillie leaves for Kanto and it's clear she doesn't share his affections, he is deeply saddened. He sits on the dock, morose, and his previously ironclad optimism is challenged. The camera hangs on him briefly because this trial of his character challenges his ability to remain positive even in the most personally heartbreaking situations.

But he does decide to smile and he does pick himself up. This is important because even though we know he is heartbroken, he acts as if he is not. This creates depth to how because it conveys that the emotion he's showing is not always what he is feeling. And while he genuinely wants everyone to be happy and will preach that truth, it's not always easy for him either.

This is so much better than the insipid group of friends in XY who have the personalities of Teletubbies.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Fighting Alakazam and Water Arcanine that were rumored for the original S/M can be shown off? Please? Those were the two Alolans I was most hyped for originally.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people aren't getting too hyped for this and then we get a trailer that is all of 30 seconds long that just says Team Rocket is back and is up to something XD

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This info will decide wether i get Sonic or Pokemon, as i already played Moon. So there needs to be quite some extras, atleast Pokemon Platinum tier of post game/extra content to do. Best case would be like the Gen V games ofcourse.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hau was terrible lol probably even worse than the gen VI rivals since at least the leave you alone.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hau's extreme positivity is eventually challenged, though. He is a young man who constantly believes the best of people and looks for the upside of every situation. But when Lillie leaves for Kanto and it's clear she doesn't share his affections, he is deeply saddened. He sits on the dock, morose, and his previously ironclad optimism is challenged. The camera hangs on him briefly because this trial of his character challenges his ability to remain positive even in the most personally heartbreaking situations.

But he does decide to smile and he does pick himself up. This is important because even though we know he is heartbroken, he acts as if he is not. This creates depth to how because it conveys that the emotion he's showing is not always what he is feeling. And while he genuinely wants everyone to be happy and will preach that truth, it's not always easy for him either.

This is so much better than the insipid group of friends in XY who have the personalities of Teletubbies.

Truth.

Hau is not a brain dead grinning monkey, he's trying to stay positive, especially if those around him can't.

And tbh, if we wanna complain about grinning people taking away from the gravitas of a situation we don't have to look further than our very own MC. This is what really took away any danger any situation could have lol

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still at like midway through Sun/Moon and I have to wonder; does Hau go through some actual development?

There was a small moment early on where Gladion called him out with something like 'You hold back on fighting for real because you're afraid you'll still be weaker than the Kahuna regardless' and that got me really intrigued, like maybe there was some layer of genuine insecurity with this character that they're going to develop. Hasn't happened yet though.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a rumour about an Alolan Arbok a while ago; with it not being available in the current Alola Dex, it's still a possibility!

EDIT: Actually now that I think on, Arbok already got a stat boost this Gen, so it probably won't get a new version :(

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Rainbow Rocket, more on the postgame legendaries, and changes to the Festival Plaza are what I expect to see.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
If were being honest every rival has had one issue or another but when they worked as antagonists in Gen 1/2 they worked so much better then the friends they became after that. Gen 3 had May/Guy character who was awful, Gen 4 had whats his face whose only character trait was being overly hyperactive, Gen 5's Black and white just had 2 really boring friends who never once felt like rivals, B/W2 tried to make that guy more of a rival but he wouldn't shut the hell up about the damn Pokemon his sister lost making him way more annoying then he needed to be, Gen 6 had the 'group' of friends all of which were awful and just uninteresting and the rival never felt worthy of being a rival because they were always so much weaker then you were (also I say this as someone who turned of exp share, always had higher level pokemon for every rival fight and the rival generally had 3 or 4 Pokemon even towards the very end of the game, X/Y seemed to think giving any boss 6 full Pokemon was to difficult when it was a standard in older gens)

I really hope the Switch game gives us more of a antagonistic rival that actually develops a team that is somewhat challenging to fight.

Oct 25, 2017

#BringWallyBack
#???DidNothingWrong
Better than Hugh.

Hau's personality is fine, I just wish battling him was harder. Though he did catch me off guard with his Alolan Raichu. Accidentally sent out a Machamp the first time I went against it.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Better than Hugh.

Hau's personality is fine, I just wish battling him was harder. Though he did catch me off guard with his Alolan Raichu. Accidentally sent out a Machamp the first time I went against it.
This was the case with a lot of story trainers in Sun/Moon. I guess they were afraid of overshadowing the totems by making trainer battles more intimidating by having more than 3 Pokemon at a time.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a rumour about an Alolan Arbok a while ago; with it not being available in the current Alola Dex, it's still a possibility!

EDIT: Actually now that I think on, Arbok already got a stat boost this Gen, so it probably won't get a new version :(
Perhaps we can finally that rumoured water type Alolan Arcanine. ;)

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Reposting the current status of the leak for anyone interested.

unnamed0yk5x.jpg

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
About 10 minutes to go, expecting Battle Facility reveal and more on Rainbow Rocket. Hopefully we get a piece of information that can further confirm leaks though.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Expecting Rainbow Rocket and some sort of Festival Plaza stuff, but would be delighted if we got a new Alolan Form or Ultra Beast.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 7 was fine because it balanced out Hau with Gladion.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a Pokemon direct (The last one was disappointing tbh), why I am so excited, what can we possibly expect. Less than 10 minutes to go! Love to see more post story content.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The hype is high because marketing has been so guarded and metered. It's been a real dripfeed and extremely popular features haven't been confirmed yet. Every trailer and every magazine spread is hyped to oblivion because it might be the one where we finally see that one feature everyone is waiting for.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, almost forgot about this. Apparently in just a few minutes, but no stream or anything?

Legion

Oct 28, 2017
About to be 10 a.m here, gotta get those sweet Pokemon news fresh. I'm full hype. The last trailer sold the game to me really hard (not that it needed to, but it was a damn good trailer) so no matter what they reveal today, I'm already on board.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to call it now, it'll be a reveal of team rocket and very little else.

I want there to be more but the marketing for this game has been all over the damn place.