• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Does anyone else sit down and figure out exactly what there team is going to be before they play the game? I know some people like to go in blind but I'm the exact pposite. I look up all the pokemon and there moves and decide a few weeks beforehand what I want to do. I don't build good teams per say, I just try to make a team entirely out of new pokemon that I've never used before. If it's a new generation my team has to be pokemon that are completely new, if it's a remake or a 2nd version I just try to use guys I've never played around with before.

I did this for the first time with Moon and I didn't really like it... I thought I would. Who wouldn't want to know which of their favorite Pokémon were available? Who wouldn't look forward to kicking butt with a premeditated team for maximum fun factor?

But when I actually did it, I don't know, it didn't work for me. I think choosing my own Pokémon makes me play it too safe. It makes me only use powerful Pokémon that make the game too easy and more predictable. I ended up abandoning that playthrough and did something weird instead.

Basically, I would catch every new Pokémon I found, so I always had a massive and unorganized haul of Pokémon in my PC. Every time one of my team members reached its final evolution, I would box it and replace it with something else that still needed to level up. This meant I was always using new Pokémon, and always checking which TMs they could learn, and very quickly filling my PokéDex by always seeing an evolution line through. Towards the end of the game I'd found a team of five I really liked and stuck with for the Elite 4, but then I continued to rotate out a low-level Pokémon who needed help leveling up.

I'll probably do that again.

exhume

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my copy at the midnight launch last night but I have to wait another 10 hours for work today to finish before I can crack into it. Does anyone know yet how soon trading opens up? I've got a set of six eggs to send myself :D

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, right now, I'm planning on this...

Rowlet
Pikachu -> Alola Raichu
Rockruff
Salandit
Cutiefly
Crawbrawler

Seems you can get all them fairly early, and Crabrawler can evolve a bit earlier now.

Will

Oct 26, 2017

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What Level is the Event Rockruff btw?

Also since I have Moon I'll have to play it around 5 A.M. to evolve it, but I wake up around that time for work so I can probably do that one morning lol.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Seems like its not guaranteed but a very high chance. You can also save before fighting the shiny to SR it for a better nature or stats. If its shiny the first time it'll be shiny 100% of the time.

I've been trying to find a list of Pokémon in these wormholes. It doesn't look like it's published yet, but I know I saw someone had assembled a list based on things they'd see in streams and stuff. Does anyone know where that list is? I know Medicham, Floatzel, and Siglyph are all supposed to show up as one of the high-chance shinies.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had Moon originally and I always get the 'blue' version of the games but I feel like I need to get Ultra Sun this time because I can't be bothered to get the same set of legendaries again.

At least BW2 had the decency to switch them over.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I did this for the first time with Moon and I didn't really like it... I thought I would. Who wouldn't want to know which of their favorite Pokémon were available? Who wouldn't look forward to kicking butt with a premeditated team for maximum fun factor?

But when I actually did it, I don't know, it didn't work for me. I think choosing my own Pokémon makes me play it too safe. It makes me only use powerful Pokémon that make the game too easy and more predictable. I ended up abandoning that playthrough and did something weird instead.

Basically, I would catch every new Pokémon I found, so I always had a massive and unorganized haul of Pokémon in my PC. Every time one of my team members reached its final evolution, I would box it and replace it with something else that still needed to level up. This meant I was always using new Pokémon, and always checking which TMs they could learn, and very quickly filling my PokéDex by always seeing an evolution line through. Towards the end of the game I'd found a team of five I really liked and stuck with for the Elite 4, but then I continued to rotate out a low-level Pokémon who needed help leveling up.

I'll probably do that again.

I actually really like your idea because I have a living dex so it could make that easier if I already have most of the pokemon fully evolved by the time I beat the elite 4. My only hangup is that I like to look back at my team of level 80 something's when I beat the game and remember the good times we had.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I actually really like your idea because I have a living dex so it could make that easier if I already have most of the pokemon fully evolved by the time I beat the elite 4. My only hangup is that I like to look back at my team of level 80 something's when I beat the game and remember the good times we had.

I release all my Pokémon once I finish the game content. They've done their job - I like to let them go home.

Then I breed dozens of Pokémon into perfectly trained Olympians. They serve me forever.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Someone in the discord found 7 over a period of 3 days. The crazy thing is it's going to be reasonable to shiny hunt for every single non-legendary in there.

The list is quite short, from what I understand. There's only a handful that appear in those portals. So while finding shinies for those Pokémon specifically will be easy, it's still a very limited set.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So Ultra Beasts aren't shiny locked in this game... do I want shiny Buzzwole or Pheromosa? I really can't decide between the two... I want them both

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a post or link of what's the differences between the two versions? I got moon last time and am debating which to get this time.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are reporting crazy shiny rates for regular Pokémon found in Ultra Wormholes. Apparently, if you see a shiny ring while warping, you get a guaranteed shiny very high chance of getting a shiny (thanks Will!).

For example, Serebii has found at least 5 Shiny Pokémon today.

Maybe this will be the game where I finally encounter a shiny Pokemon in the wild? I've completed every Pokemon game going over the last decade and a bit and a lot multiple times and never got once...

I'd like a shiny Mimikyu or Drampa.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Going with:

Incineroar
Ribombee
Crabominable
Toxapex
Dhelmise
Drampa

Nat 619

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this, even if it might not be as different as wanted. I'm down for more Alola. :D Amazon tells me it's been dispatched but has the arrival date as Saturday. They've been reliable about it arriving on release day in the past, so who knows? I'll live either way.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will get the game next week friday along with Sanic Forces and pre order Xenoblade 2 + Monster Hunter Worlds. Can't wait third versions are always my favorite, Pokemon Switch is the last first versions i will buy probably unless ofcourse third versions stop after Ultra.

I dunno but i just always prefered the third versions they are just more fleshed out and better imo. Not just content wise but also balance wise trainers have more pokemon and lil changes like that makes the experience a whole lot better and more enjoyable.

Will probably play alot of that battle agency and that mantine surfing minigame.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to this, even if it might not be as different as wanted. I'm down for more Alola. :D Amazon tells me it's been dispatched but has the arrival date as Saturday. They've been reliable about it arriving on release day in the past, so who knows? I'll live either way.
What are the differences? I loved Moon. So refreshing, but don't want to burn out on Pokemon especially since Switch Pokemon is due next year according to rumors.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
That hiker image lol, can't wait! When I get off of work it'll be only 2 hours until release, got my preload and am ready to go!

Farsi

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never finished Sun or Moon, only got past the first totem. So this is going to be a treat for me. Can't wait to finally playthrough it tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2017
My steelbook copy of Ultra Moon is in the mail and I'm still finishing my perfect-IV team on regular Sun. I'll probably start the game for reals sometime in the weekend.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
OK so I feel like they've still been ultra (heh) vague on what the hell this game actually is? Is it just a third version of SuMo? Is it a sequel like BW2? Does it make SuMo redundant? Haven't played SuMo but if the answer to that last question is yes then that's so weird and shitty to me? Everyone who bought the initial release just got ripped off now. The fact that they're being so vague and non-specific about what this game even IS makes this whole thing kind of heinous to me, lol.

Idk, I'm a lapsed Pokémon player (though I do wanna get back into the series), I'm so out of the loop that maybe I just shouldn't be talking.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
OK so I feel like they've still been ultra (heh) vague on what the hell this game actually is? Is it just a third version of SuMo? Is it a sequel like BW2? Does it make SuMo redundant? Haven't played SuMo but if the answer to that last question is yes then that's so weird and shitty to me? Everyone who bought the initial release just got ripped off now. The fact that they're being so vague and non-specific about what this game even IS makes this whole thing kind of heinous to me, lol.

Idk, I'm a lapsed Pokémon player (though I do wanna get back into the series), I'm so out of the loop that maybe I just shouldn't be talking.
It's a third version. It makes SM redundant.

Nat 619

Oct 27, 2017
What are the differences? I loved Moon. So refreshing, but don't want to burn out on Pokemon especially since Switch Pokemon is due next year according to rumors.
I didn't want to spoil myself too much, but I've seen a lot of people saying the games are too similar to Sun and Moon. I loved Sun, like you, so I'm not too upset if it turns out to be the case.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't want to spoil myself too much, but I've seen a lot of people saying the games are too similar to Sun and Moon. I loved Sun, like you, so I'm not too upset if it turns out to be the case.
Oh I assumed people would use spoiler tags anyway. I'm just curious.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, none of the Shiny Pokemon I have can be gotten easier in Ultra Space.

They still keep their value!

Oct 25, 2017
Got a nice few days of Pokemon before Skyrim Switch arrives for me. I have all next week off due to Thanksgiving so I will be gaming pretty hard next week.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow. I'm jealous of europeans, the game is already out.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they were being non-specific about the release. They announced it as another take on S/M. People kept asking if it was a sequel or w/e but it was never implied.

Still, I don't blame anyone for thinking it's a shit release. I really do wish they were sequels.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't able to do midnight preload earlier because I decided to get my digital UM on payday next week but I am picking up my Double Pack from the Pokemon Center today after work.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My team for this is gonna beeeee...

Vikavolt
Honchcrow
Ghost Sand mon
Beeheehym
Mantine
and The scary stuff bear