• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Just announced at the Anime Expo 2019, no more details yet. Will be the first movie to be part of Gen 8 and return to traditional animation instead of 3DCG.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's a shame we never got any Alola movies, but I suppose the multi-part arcs in the anime did that job just fine.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pokemon movie writers: "What the fuck is a Galar?"

Calling it now.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The Power of Us was the best Pokemon movie years, CGi Mewtwo was a mistake.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The title reminds me of "I choose you" or "The Power of us", rather than the older Pokemon movies, so it does make me expect another standalone story unrelated to the tv show.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The Power of Us was an incredible film on its own so I am hoping this is more like that

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was soooo dissapointed when they announced a shitty cgi 1:1 remake of the Mewtwo movie after Everyone's Story. I hope Tetsuo Yajima directs this one too

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The old movies also started getting bad and repetitive. Being forced to focus the entire story around a mythical Pokemon limited the movies.

What annoys me about the old movies is the lack of scale they had. In spite of being about legendaries and mythicals they were also always centered in a single location, rather than being big events involving characters from the entire region. Considering how they couldn't really give development for Ash either, the lack of scale just made them feel pointless.

Now, they probably didn't want to do that because Ash needed to meet the gym leaders and other important characters in the tv series itself, but they could have used battle facility trainers or elite four members instead as a recurring secondary cast for the movies since those are hardly featured in the tv series. Using them could have made the events of the movie feel large in scale and actually having consequences for the entire region, while also tying together the movies of each series.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also make a movie without Ash please, he truly makes some movies worse because he isn't needed at all in those

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The old movies also started getting bad and repetitive. Being forced to focus the entire story around a mythical Pokemon limited the movies.
Nah, it was a lack of good writers. The Gen 4 movies were either great(Darkrai/Arceus) Or atleast really interesting(Giratina/Zoroark)

But then Gen 5 fucked up and needed two different versions of the same boring movie, then there's that Genesect movie thats just kinda there. Gen 6 had the one Xerneas/Yveltal movie that was also fairly generic, but then the Hoopa one was pretty good for variety and nobody watched it so they went straight to Reboots/Reimaginings instead.

Zeroera and Marshadow deserved their own unique focus and stories.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It was bad? tbh I just watched it once when was released so I don't remember much
People love to hate on it, but Origins was so much better than plenty of stuff from the actual show I've seen. But to be honest I'd rather watch a movie-length version of this B&W2 promo video. This kind of Pokémon movie would definitely pull me back in.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I like how the movies have their own continuity now. I hope they keep doing that.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
ehhhh

I would have preferred "Pokemon 4 U" instead.

Like Britney's I'm a Slave 4 U

The real title is "Some Pokémon With You"

giphy.gif

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People love to hate on it, but Origins was so much better than plenty of stuff from the actual show I've seen. But to be honest I'd rather watch a movie-length version of this B&W2 promo video. This kind of Pokémon movie would definitely pull me back in.

What's stopping them from having a spin off anime without Ash? They probably don't want to do it because "it will confuse the kiddies" but it is Pokemon multiverse right?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's stopping them from having a spin off anime without Ash? They probably don't want to do it because "it will confuse the kiddies" but it is Pokemon multiverse right?
the less we talk about the multiverse the better. they can easily do other characters, they just choose not to

chiayiii

Apr 19, 2018
Please bring back wit studio for this. (Would be hilarious if the reason wit ditched AOT is because of Pokémon)

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Nah, it was a lack of good writers. The Gen 4 movies were either great(Darkrai/Arceus) Or atleast really interesting(Giratina/Zoroark)

But then Gen 5 fucked up and needed two different versions of the same boring movie, then there's that Genesect movie thats just kinda there. Gen 6 had the one Xerneas/Yveltal movie that was also fairly generic, but then the Hoopa one was pretty good for variety and nobody watched it so they went straight to Reboots/Reimaginings instead.

Zeroera and Marshadow deserved their own unique focus and stories.

I don't think Arceus movie was that great. It was insulting the way they portrayed and treated it, and the whole plot was very silly. They could've created such amazing stories for Gen IV movies, if they only took the videogames as a reference.

The Victini movie(s) was boring, but the Keldeo one was slightly better (just horribly animated) and Genesect I really liked it, I don't know why, when all the Pokémon are fighting back the Genesect and their place is getting destroyed, I don't know why I almost felt like crying lol but that was me.

Diancie movie, was kinda entertaining until Xerneas and Yveltal finally meet and Xerneas defeats it with just one mean look, no beams, no explosions, no especial effects or something, it was like, whaaat? Hoopa was more interesting on paper, like the idea sounded really cool, but I didn't really like it visually, the place where the events happen just wasn't that pretty for such an epic event of having all these legendaries fighting :P.

Magearna and Volcanion, so boring I don't even remember what was it about.

Then Pikachu talks (I loved in this one that older Pokémon got featured, like Magmar, Arbok and Ho-Oh of course, also the cameo of Ash companions at the end)

The Power of Us was surprisingly good, but I feel like they tried to add too many stories for the characters, and obviously they can't get too deep in an hour and a half or whatever it lasts (I hate that from many movies in general) I think that it deserved its own sub-series of episodes instead. And I still don't like this alternative universe, like it could exist additionally, but the SM characteres deserved their movie too: 1 movie with the Tapu's, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma and Ultra Beasts, another one for Marshadow and another one for Zeraora. I know Marshadow and Zeraora appear in movies, but they just felt like random additions.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
This will probably be set in the Galar region, won't it? Alola didn't get any movies tho, so we'll see.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So there's a lot of back and forth about this and it's kind of confusing. Was a new movie teased or were people mislead by the charity thing? Because the thread title changed after people acknowledged the whole charity mix up but it still says there's a new movie despite there not really being anything about it...

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I bet the teaser for this movie will the the after credit for mewtwo movie next week.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Origins was neat when it came out because it had better animation than usual and followed the original game (until it didnt). Rewatching it now its largely just devoid of personality and the main anime series sometimes has great animation so Origins just feels like it aged poorly.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I mean, there's been a Pokemon movie every single year since the beginning of the brand. It would be news if there wasn't a Pokemon movie in 2020.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Origins was neat when it came out because it had better animation than usual and followed the original game (until it didnt). Rewatching it now its largely just devoid of personality and the main anime series sometimes has great animation so Origins just feels like it aged poorly.
I disagree. Origins was great because the monsters didn't talk and the battles were visceral as you would expect from monsters actually fighting each other. It was basically how everyone wanted the anime to be. The story was heavily skimmed through so it really doesn't have rewatch value aside from showing someone who hasn't seen it how things should have been from the getgo in the anime. Oh, and the hero actually tries to catch a legendary instead of just looking at it and being like, oh cool... well, see you later.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Origins was great because the monsters didn't talk and the battles were visceral as you would expect from monsters actually fighting each other. It was basically how everyone wanted the anime to be. The story was heavily skimmed through so it really doesn't have rewatch value.

Charmanders scream was very much a human voice actor. If you actually liked that scene for being "visceral" you got issues. If you're talking about physical contact and choreography then the tv show has had Origins beat for a long time now. Just look at clips from any semi-recent battle. Its both better animated, better choreographed and more visceral than Origins without the awkward face biting.
I remember most of the nice animation in Origins was mostly from the very last episode too.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Since the Mewtwo one was a remake, I hope this one returns to the I Choose You and Power of Us timeline, I really liked what they were trying to do.
I really hated he didn't used any Pokémon other than Pikachu, but it was great anyway
The movie Satoshi is 100x better than the anime one.