• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Open Critic - 78
Metacritic - 78

Nintendolife - 6/10

While some of the slower elements of the original games have been fixed, and The Grand Underground makes up for the comparatively weak Pokédex, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl's new art style and a few other stumbles make this pair of games a somewhat disappointing retread of Generation 4. They're also very clearly in the shadow of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, the upcoming open-world-like Pokemon game that has fans hoping it can take the series in exciting new directions beyond 20-year-old mechanics. If the remit of these remakes was to remain faithful to the original Gen 4 pair, we wish they'd also stuck to the pixel-art aesthetic. Aside from The Grand Underground – and the connectivity with the current games in the series – there's very little reason to play Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl over your original DS copies.

GameSpot - 7/10

So far, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl keep enough classic elements to feel like a comfy nostalgia trip, while smoothing over enough of the rough edges that they feel relatively contemporary with other recent Pokemon games. It can't be easy for a storied franchise to pay homage to its legacy while also modernizing in this way, but in my experience so far, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl strike the right balance.

Gameinformer - 8.5/10

While Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl don't move the needle in terms of what Pokémon games will look and play like moving forward, they mostly hit the mark in being faithful to the originals. I've really enjoyed my time re-exploring Sinnoh, despite my qualms with the lack of critical path difficulty. They're a welcome throwback to a simpler time when I felt completing a Pokédex was a somewhat realistic task to undertake. Veteran trainers will find plenty here to scratch a nostalgic itch, and new trainers who missed out the first time around have a solid adventure to embark on.

Polygon - Positive

I've spent years — the better part of a decade, since the Ruby and Sapphire remakes on 3DS — going through the motions with new Pokémon games, trying desperately to fight through superfluous features and recapture the magic of my childhood. But the Diamond and Pearl remakes' simple, derivative, and basic formulas helped refocus my love for a franchise almost as old as I am.

Video Games Chronicle - 4/5

The quality of life improvements made to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl make it a worthy remake of what was already a great instalment in the series.

Its new features may not be truly revolutionary, and it may still have its fair share of repetitive and time-consuming moments, but it's a faithful take on a well-loved game, and should certainly keep players busy until Pokémon Legends: Arceus arrives in January.

The Gamer:

The problem is that these are very good remakes of Diamond & Pearl and excellent games in and of themselves - they're just nowhere near the best Gen 4 remake. Given that Platinum is still superior to Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl in almost every conceivable way, it's difficult to comprehend why these games even exist aside from making them available on a modern console, in which case… just port Platinum. That's the main takeaway I have from my time with Shining Pearl: it's brilliant and it shines, but not quite as brilliantly bright as a game that came out 13 years ago.

Vooks - 4/5

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are bordering on a masterclass of how to do faithful remakes of a classic and beloved series. They're nostalgic, charming, lovely experiences, that perfectly mix the old with the new to present a journey that will appeal to fans of the originals while still keeping things fresh and up-to-date. As one half of a pair of Sinnoh games, they deliver on their half in spades, and show that The Pokémon Company is ready, willing, and able to mess with the formula for the sake of the series. I have my complaints here and there, too, but overall, these are the Diamond and Pearl remakes that I didn't know I wanted until I fell in love with them.

Godisageek - 9/10

When it comes to Pokemon, you're either a fan or you aren't. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond isn't going to change minds, nor is it intended to reinvent the wheel when it comes to the series. What it does, however, is remind us of one of the best adventures in the series while bringing it right up to date with gorgeous visuals, quality of life updates, and performance that I didn't spot a single frame drop during. This is a developer showing reverence for the source material while making it worthy of a replay 15 years on, somehow making an old game essential once again.

Press-Start - 8.5/10

The real standout for me, was actually the battle arenas. When outdoor and exploring routes, it really feels like you're battling it out in the wild as Mount Coronet hangs overhead. Team Galactic battles take place in a suitably space-like arena filled with hazy purples and blacks that lend their encounters an otherworldly feel. The best that Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl have to offer in this regard are undoubtedly the gym battles, but I won't spoil anything here, because they're best experienced blind. Couple this with the excellent soundtrack, and the end result is a remake that captures the essence and aesthetics of the originals, with the kind of polish and presentation you'd expect from a first party Nintendo game. Not everything is perfect, though. Some Pokémon fair better than others in the transition to this kind of art style, and some of the battle animations can look pretty underwhelming at points

Comicbook.com - 4/5

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are good remakes of an inherently flawed Pokemon game. The games lean a little hard into recapturing the experience of the originals, which is a detriment and somewhat negates the fantastic visual and quality-of-life improvements. Honestly, it feels that Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are a preemptive olive branch to Pokemon fans ahead of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, in that it provides a decidedly retro experience as an alternative option to what is sure to be the most envelope-pushing Pokemon game made since the franchise launched 25 years ago. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are made for those looking to celebrate the past of the Pokemon experience. For the rest of us, it's a nice distraction to hold us over until the launch of the next Pokemon game in a couple of months.

Shack News - 7

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are faithful remakes, to a fault at times. While it's incredibly powerful to hear some of my favorite tunes and re-meet favorite characters, I can't help but feel like Diamond and Pearl got the short end of the stick in terms of Pokemon remakes. They weren't developed by Game Freak, so I wasn't expecting them to be as robust and revitalizing as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but still hoped for more on top of the foundation laid back in 2006.

There are some much-needed quality of life improvements, and the games are well polished and run really smoothly on the Switch. It's hard to see newer fans finding much to appreciate here, but those that have fond memories of the original Diamond and Pearl will have a lot to love about Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

The Sixth Axis - 9

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are monstrous games. There's an immense amount to do at nearly every moment in the game, and while the opening takes a little while to warm up, the dungeons and distractions here are a joy to take part in.

As an aside, it's worth noting that there are some features that are missing at launch, per this article on the Nintendo website. If you're keen on the Global Wonder Station then it's worth noting that it's not currently there. I can't say I really missed any of this stuff due to how I play these games, but some people will likely want to wait until these planned features are actually in the game.

Last edited:

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
I mean honestly after everything thats come out about the game, it actually having a meaningful postgame might be what gets me to buy it.
I also have no problems with the art style at all.

BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE IF YOU HAVE A SUPERIOR THIRD VERSION OF A GAME REMAKE THAT INSTEAD OF THE 100% WORSE ORIGINALS!!!!!!!! OR AT LEAST OFFER IT AS DLC PLEASE

I hope this gets mid reviews.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
These sound like weird remakes that aren't the definitive versions of Sinnoh but have unique things to offer that Platinum didn't. If they'd given us more of Platinum's changes and additions these could have been really special (even if the graphics would still look the way they do)

Not sure whether I'm bummed about them trending lower than SwSh or not. There's some neat stuff we've heard about that is very much the direction I want the series heading in but at the same time… these are real safe and bland remakes overall that have some baffling exclusions.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Having had the game since last Friday I'd say the scores it's getting are pretty fair. There is a good game there (well, Diamond and Pearl were good games so that makes sense) but you have to battle against a lot of bullshit like the Exp. Share and the Affection boosts in order to get the best possible experience. Saying that, I'm not at the post-game yet which is main part of the game I'm looking forward to as someone who loves filling the Pokedex so maybe I'll have a higher opinion of it then. One major thing it has going for it is that it's made me realise just how much I've missed top down Pokemon and 2.5D Game Freak world design.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
A "faithful" remake of the some of the worst pokemon games plus some weird changes was always heading here I guess, but I still see some good scores here

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
So good to excellent reviews by the looks of it already?

So far, only the 6/10 is the "not good" review I guess you could argue

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I mean honestly after everything thats come out about the game, it actually having a meaningful postgame might be what gets me to buy it.
I also have no problems with the art style at all.

BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE IF YOU HAVE A SUPERIOR THIRD VERSION OF A GAME REMAKE THAT INSTEAD OF THE 100% WORSE ORIGINALS!!!!!!!! OR AT LEAST OFFER IT AS DLC PLEASE

I hope this gets mid reviews.
Considering the fact TPCi mentioned they have heard "a lot" from us close to the end of the development cycle of Pokemon BDSP, the next gen remake, Gen V, is probably going to be a blast to play. It's too late for them to improve upon Pokemon BDSP at this point.

EDIT: Didn't realize this isn't it.

What's different about the post game?

Tons of cut content not in the remake that was present in the original DS game, Platinum.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So far, it's surprising that NintendoLife of all sites gave it the lowest score at this point of the thread.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen one of the titles for the review go with "Rusted Platinum"

And that does sorta sum it up. Sinnoh is a strong region to work with. But there's a lot of stuff that Platinum added to the characters and the world that overlooking those additions is a questionable call.

And the chibi style, well...

2021111422574900-7F4AACC644EAC4BF4E5897B413FFD611-1.jpg

I know there is some real interesting things this has in the post game, but there's also some mechanical decisions, especially in regards to how the Friendship Buffs are handled just make me question some of the decisions on this one.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the fact TPCi mentioned they have heard "a lot" from us close to the end of the development cycle of Pokemon BDSP, the next gen remake, Gen V, is probably going to be a blast to play.
That's not what that quote was saying. They "heard a lot" of abuse and harassment from fans. It was not about listening or responding to them.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm not going to be defending modern Pokemon too often...But that Nintendo life argument is BS, who cares if there's another game with a more interesting premise coming? Thay shouldn't affect how you view the product you have RN.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The review text all generally agrees that it's fine as a revisit to Sinnoh but it doesn't really turn any heads. It's a fine game and that's it

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Honestly, I'm expecting this game to review well just like every other pokemon game does. Most reviewers are not going to dock points because "no battle frontier" or the universal EXP share, because they are technically fine games.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
For comparison sake with other remakes metascores:

Fire Red/Leaf Green - 81
Heart Gold/Soul Silver - 87
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 83
Let's Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee - 79

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic is 79 at last check, up from 74. Opencritic isn't loading for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
One thing that I'm already feeling as I am playing through SMTV, is how 2 games that are releasing essentially around the same time are so technically different. There are so many beautiful environments, animations and combat effects, that when I look at BD and SP... The game just feels like it's a whole gen behind lol. And sure, "it's Pokemon", but I feel like so much more could have been done for it, when the whole structure of the the game was already there to begin with. It's not like this is a brand new game that took nearly as long to plan and develop

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if anyone out there is in shambles that they can't do the usual Nintendo Life bit in a Nintendo review thread

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
After 20 hours playing, I think a 6-7 would be a fair score but I guess the Pokémon formula is strong as ever to push that to the 9s I'm seeing, which is crazy.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
I Guess if you dont mind the Chibi style you are fine with these remakes.

I just cant stand the art direction and Chibi style, It is too ugly for me to be able to play these remakes

Oct 27, 2017
Game Informer's Pokemon game review scores are so consistent. It's always the same range of scores, aside from B2W2 which are, ironically, the lowest
BDSP - 8.5
SwSh - 8.75
LGPE - 8.5
USUM - 8.5
SuMo - 8.5
ORAS - 8.75
XY - 8.75
B2W2 - 7.5
BW - 8.75
HGSS - 8.5
Pl - 8.5

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
This game is exactly what I need right now, comfort food, turn off brain, nostalgia over Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to revisiting Sinnoh. Diamond was the last Pokemon game I played.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually looking pretty solid after some low reviews when OP first posted this thread.

I'm guessing it'll land in the high 70s/low 80s on Opencritic, which is virtually every Pokemon game ever lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I kind of understand that from a review perspective though. When you look over the things fans have been upset about over the past 5ish years, most of those issues don't really impact the average critic (forced exp share making things too easy, dexit, lack of a compelling post game). The graphics/art style probably hurt the most, and most people probably give them a pass due to the hardware they've been on because "it's pokemon". None of the games has ever actually botched the core gameplay loop which for many is still as strong/compelling as it was in the 90's.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Wow, i wasn't really expecting it to be on the upper end of the positive side.
But i also think a lot of reviewers have kind of gone through the motions of reviewing Pokemon games over the last 5-ish years.
Its Pokemon and its hard to criticize i think

I'm interested to see if there's any comparison in scores from the original release/Platinum VS these games.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any analysis on the technical performance regarding handheld vs dock from someone?

From Nintendo life
The game runs well in both docked and undocked modes and looks very sharp on the shiny new Nintendo Switch OLED Model. It's not pushing the limits of graphical fidelity by any means, but all the Pokémon models look nice – even if their static animations are pretty lifeless. Moves are nicely animated, and plenty of Pokémon have their own unique animated signature attack. The frame-rate issues that plagued Sword and Shield and the later DS titles are thankfully absent, making battling a smooth experience. The top-down perspective also mitigates the pop-in issues of recent titles, as the area which the player can see is generally only a few feet in any direction.

I checked all of the other reviews in the OP and didn't find any mentions

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
i will never understand pokemon review scores. most people i've talked to have some strong opinions on which games are the best