• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
It's a spin-off game that won't take away from Gen 8. It's not for me, but it doesn't have to be.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Cause I've played GO and this is what I've seen. Definitely not that.

Pokemon appears
Throw Ball
Pokemon gets out
Use berry
Throw Ball
Pokemon gets out
Use berry
Throw Ultra Ball
Pokemon gets out
Throw Great Ball
Pokemon gets out
Pokemon runs away

That is completely not fun to me and it has only frustrated me when playing the game. ESPECIALLY WITH RAIDS AND LEGENDARY POKEMON.
Niantic are terrible game designers. I'd trust GF more how to design a non-frustrating catch mechanic.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not chance.
The graphics are bad, the mechanics seem overly simplified, going back to a grid world is fucking terrible.

I would have loved a remake of yellow that actually felt an adventure developed this last generation of consoles and felt like if I was playing the tv show with its locales.
But not like this.

If they want me to get back, show a real pokemon game that looks like it was made this last 5 years on a console with the 2019 game. If not I will also not give them a chance with that one.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gah... that's disappointing.
For comparison.

Top Left is the exact same trainer in FR/LG

1528831111814.png

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do if you dont want them to just break out of Pokéballs constantly and run away,

No you don't. I'm still playing the game daily, I'm walking to a raid staring in 30 minutes. You don't need to wait for a smaller circle, I've literally never curved a throw because it's pointless. I use pinapberries for the extra candy much, much more than I ever use a razzberry.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No you don't. I'm still playing the game daily, I'm walking to a raid staring in 30 minutes. You don't need to wait for a smaller circle, I've literally never curved a throw because it's pointless. I use pinapberries for the extra candy much, much more than I ever use a razzberry.
I did literally what you just said to a Bellsrpout just now and had it run away on me. :shrug:

Yes it is very easy. Why do you think children play it?
You mean like the main games?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

Really? Cause I've played GO and this is what I've seen. Definitely not that.

Pokemon appears
Throw Ball
Pokemon gets out
Use berry
Throw Ball
Pokemon gets out
Use berry
Throw Ultra Ball
Pokemon gets out
Throw Great Ball
Pokemon gets out
Pokemon runs away

That is completely not fun to me and it has only frustrated me when playing the game. ESPECIALLY WITH RAIDS AND LEGENDARY POKEMON.

I'm not saying it's ALWAYS that easy lol But usually it is, only different thing is that I use a berry right in the beginning.

But an encounter only lasts for 30s or so.

Will there be any Raids or Legendary Pokemon in Let's Go?

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Removes half of the battles
Removes 75% of the pokemon
Sell Mew in a 50USD toy
Removes online options

"Please trust us"

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
For comparison.

Top Left is the exact same trainer in FR/LG

1528831111814.png
Don't forget the trainer with only a Level 9 Venonat in the trailer who, in FRLG, had a Level 10 Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle & Kakuna and in Yellow had a Level 14 Caterpie & Level 14 Weedle

Removes half of the battles
Removes 75% of the pokemon
Sell Mew in a 50USD toy
Removes online options

"Please trust us"
You know it's a controller, not a toy, right?

Calling it a toy is disingenuous.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
If this is a stepping stone entry then those Go players are gonna be awfully shocked when the 2019 game has none of the mechanics from Lets Go.

Having pokemon actually inhabit the world is the only change they should keep.

What do you mean? "Let's go" already has tons of mechanics of the normal pokemon games.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giovanni will have a level 23 diglett
gary will have squirtle, charmander, bulbasaur and dratini at level 26

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe you have amazing luck. :thinking:

No, because my girlfriend has more Pokemon than I do and she still doesn't understand how th circle works and didn't know what berries did until about a week ago. Catching Pokemon in Go is piss easy for non-legendary/raid Pokemon.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
People don't seem to understand Niantic =/= GF. The catch mechanic is going to work differently because the Switch doesn't have touchscreen controls.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is damning. Didn't realize they were even dumbing down trainers and their levels too. The extent they are going of making an already easy game even easier is pretty crazy.
They already basically said this game is a training wheels version of the main series, anyone expecting anything more than a hyper easy game is silly. All their talk of "we want long time fans to enjoy it too!" is PR fluff talk aimed at the people that havent played since R/B/Y not people who stuck around or came in later
People don't seem to understand Niantic =/= GF. The catch mechanic is going to work differently because the Switch doesn't have touchscreen controls.
I don't get it, you do know that people have played this game already at E3 right? The touchscreen stuff has nothing to do with any of this.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See this is the thing people forget. Battling wild Pokémon introduces players to the battle system in a way that's not going to cause issues. Without it, we're just going to have half a dozen battles in a route if we're lucky and it doesn't give newer players a decent glimpse of the system. We can only hope that Game Freak realised this and adjusted things accordingly to help properly ease new players in
Indeed. Wild Pokémon make up the bulk of encounters of the game. There are much more wild Pokémon than there are trainers. Making battles trainer-exclusive reduces the opportunities players have to practice their skills and learn the type chart and stuff. Of course, it can still certainly be done, but having more opportunity to practice and learn those skills is a good thing, and since this is supposed to be targeted at people who played Go and may not be familiar with the battle system, I can't be sure that limiting opportunities to practice those skills and leaving them purely to trainer battles is the best move. Either way, it doesn't really seem that consistent with the direction of the game to not have it as so much as an option.

But I'm not really worried about that too much. That's weird, but can still work out. What I'm more curious about is if, since this game is targeted at particularly younger and more casual audiences, whether it will be able to hold their attention without wild Pokémon battles and if they won't just stop playing entirely after a few hours due to everything being even more samey and repetitive than previous Pokémon games.

Of course, some may see that as odd, with how I keep seeing wild Pokémon battles being described as boring and tedious in this thread. But what I mean by that, even if you think that way, is that not only do wild Pokémon battles give you more chance to engage with and learn the fundamentals of the game, but it's also where the personality and differences between different species of Pokémon really shine.

Each Pokémon does its own separate thing, which you have to keep in mind as you battle and try to weaken them so that you're able to catch them. Not only do each of them use different types of moves, often (but far from always) reflecting the type of Pokémon they are, but some are more proficient at and try to hit you from the Physical side, whereas others try and hit you from the Special. Some are particularly speedy and will move before most of your Pokémon, while others are slow as a tank but also hurt like one or have the armor of one. Some Pokémon try to Poison you, others Burn you, some Paralyze, or Confuse you. And yet other Pokémon will try other tricky stuff, like stopping you from using certain moves with your Pokémon, preventing you from leaving the battle, switching which Pokémon you have out on the field, switching which Pokémon will move first, and all kinds of other stuff.

And regardless of which of those things any particular Pokémon does, with wild Pokémon battles, as you're fighting and trying to weaken and capture them, you get that little preview of what that Pokémon is all about. Not only does it make the encounters with Pokémon themselves more diverse and interesting, but it helps you see if that's really a Pokémon you want on your team and want to use based on what moves it ends up using and stuff (of if it's something that doesn't really interest you after you all). In LGE/LGP, you just have to wait until you capture them instead.

But, moreover, you don't see any of that personality or differences between different Pokémon period (other than just your models) as you're trying to catch them, and instead it will just be the same thing, regardless of what Pokémon you're running into. Doesn't matter whether you run into a Pikachu or a Bulbasaur. A Kadabra, or an Onix. A Kangaskhan, or a Lapras. You're just chucking Pokéballs in the exact same way you would any other Pokémon, while they stand around doing nothing. Whether they're strong or weak, fast or slow, Water-type or Fire-type, Dragon or Fairy, everything just goes exactly the same way, every time.

It's easy to say that wild Pokémon battles don't offer much, especially as you get further in the game, but nonetheless, at least they offer something, make Pokémon feel in some way different from one another beyond appearance. But with wild Pokémon battles removed and just this catching game in its place? If anything, I don't see how that won't result in wild Pokémon being even more boring and repetitive to run into, since there's way less difference before: just chuck balls and wait to catch them while the wild Pokémon does absolutely nothing in return. And I really wonder how long something like that can hold new players' attention, if things are that repetitive, and there's less difference between running into and trying to catch one particular kind of Pokémon versus any other other than at any point in the series' history. It will definitely be interesting to see how that turns out and people end up reacting to that, in any case.

And just one final thing, as far as wild Pokémon battles go, is a bit of nibbling thing, but it kinda bothers me all the same with them being gone, and that's how wild Pokémon battles, in addition to all of the above, make up a good bit of the worldbuilding in Pokémon games. Typically, part of the reason you're even given your first Pokémon in most games is to defend yourself/others (such as a Professor in trouble) from wild Pokémon. But if wild Pokémon are now so docile that they just sit there and let you chuck Pokéballs at them and do absolutely nothing about it, that doesn't really make sense any more. Similarly, when you run away from wild Pokémon, you get the text "got away safely!" which, while it may seem silly later on, at least makes sense at the start of most Pokémon games when they can do your team harm. But now, that text has been preserved in LGE/LGP, but it's even weirder, because even from the beginning the question is "...Got away safely from what? They weren't going to do anything anyway..."

Those may seem like smaller things, and perhaps they are, but just clashing with the worldbuilding of the series like that is still just bizarre to me.

But mainly though, I just can't help but wonder if the younger audiences they're targeting with these games might end up getting bored even faster than before, due to the catching minigame getting more repetitive than wild Pokémon battles ever did and making different species of Pokémon feel a lot less different and interesting than they actually are. Just seems like one of those changes that could have the exact opposite of the intended result to me, but only time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the Pokemon game I'm looking for, but it will be great for folks who grew up with Gen 1 who are parents now, who get to play their kids' first pokemon with them, and it's the one they played at their age. It's cute! But not for me.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Wild Pokémon make up the bulk of encounters of the game. There are much more wild Pokémon than there are trainers. Making battles trainer-exclusive reduces the opportunities players have to practice their skills and learn the type chart and stuff. Of course, it can still certainly be done, but having more opportunity to practice and learn those skills is a good thing, and since this is supposed to be targeted at people who played Go and may not be familiar with the battle system, I can't be sure that limiting opportunities to practice those skills and leaving them purely to trainer battles is the best move. Either way, it doesn't really seem that consistent with the direction of the game to not have it as so much as an option.

But I'm not really worried about that too much. That's weird, but can still work out. What I'm more curious about is if, since this game is targeted at particularly younger and more casual audiences, whether it will be able to hold their attention without wild Pokémon battles and if they won't just stop playing entirely after a few hours due to everything being even more samey and repetitive than previous Pokémon games.

Of course, some may see that as odd, with how I keep seeing wild Pokémon battles being described as boring and tedious in this thread. But what I mean by that, even if you think that way, is that not only do wild Pokémon battles give you more chance to engage with and learn the fundamentals of the game, but it's also where the personality and differences between different species of Pokémon really shine.

Each Pokémon does its own separate thing, which you have to keep in mind as you battle and try to weaken them so that you're able to catch them. Not only do each of them use different types of moves, often (but far from always) reflecting the type of Pokémon they are, but some are more proficient at and try to hit you from the Physical side, whereas others try and hit you from the Special. Some are particularly speedy and will move before most of your Pokémon, while others are slow as a tank but also hurt like one or have the armor of one. Some Pokémon try to Poison you, others Burn you, some Paralyze, or Confuse you. And yet other Pokémon will try other tricky stuff, like stopping you from using certain moves with your Pokémon, preventing you from leaving the battle, switching witch Pokémon you have out on the field, switching which Pokémon will move first, and all kinds of other stuff.

And regardless of which of those things any particular Pokémon does, with wild Pokémon battles, as you're fighting and trying to weaken and capture them, you get that little preview of what that Pokémon is all about. Not only does it make the encounters with Pokémon themselves more diverse and interesting, but it helps you see if that's really a Pokémon you want on your team and want to use based on what moves it ends up using and stuff (of if it's something that doesn't really interest you after you all). In LGE/LGP, you just have to wait until you capture them instead.

But, moreover, you don't see any of that personality or differences between different Pokémon period (other than just your models) as you're trying to catch them, and instead it will just be the same thing, regardless of what Pokémon you're running into. Doesn't matter whether you run into a Pikachu or a Bulbasaur. A Kadabra, or an Onix. A Kangaskhan, or a Lapras. You're just chucking Pokéballs in the exact same way you would any other Pokémon, while they stand around doing nothing. Whether they're strong or weak, fast or slow, Water-type or Fire-type, Dragon or Fairy, everything just goes exactly the same way, every time.

It's easy to say that wild Pokémon battles don't offer much, especially as you get further in the game, but nonetheless, at least they offer something, make Pokémon feel in some way different from one another beyond appearance. But with wild Pokémon battles removed and just this catching game in its place? If anything, I don't see how that won't result in wild Pokémon being even more boring and repetitive to run into, since there's way less difference before: just chuck balls and wait to catch them while the wild Pokémon does absolutely nothing in return. And I really wonder how long something like that can hold new players' attention, if things are that repetitive, and there's less difference between running into and trying to catch one particular kind of Pokémon versus any other other than at any point in the series' history. It will definitely be interesting to see how that turns out and people end up reacting to that, in any case.

And just one final thing, as far as wild Pokémon battles go, is a bit of nibbling thing, but it kinda bothers me all the same with them being gone, and that's how wild Pokémon battles, in addition to all of the above, make up a good bit of the worldbuilding in Pokémon games. Typically, part of the reason you're even given your first Pokémon in most games is to defend yourself/others (such as a Professor in trouble) from wild Pokémon. But if wild Pokémon are now so docile that they just sit there and let you chuck Pokéballs at them and do absolutely nothing about it, that doesn't really make sense any more. Similarly, when you run away from wild Pokémon, you get the text "got away safely!" which, while it may seem silly later on, at least makes sense at the start of most Pokémon games when they can do your team harm. But now, that text has been preserved in LGE/LGP, but it's even weirder, because even from the beginning the question is "...Got away safely from what? They weren't going to do anything anyway..."

Those may seem like smaller things, and perhaps they are, but just clashing with the worldbuilding of the series like that is still just bizarre to me.

But mainly though, I just can't help but wonder if the younger audiences they're targeting with these games might end up getting bored even faster than before, due to the catching minigame getting more repetitive than wild Pokémon battles ever did and making different species of Pokémon feel a lot less different and interesting than they actually are. Just seems like one of those changes that could have the exact opposite of the intended result to me, but only time will tell I suppose.
100% this worded better than anyone has. This is seriously gutting a huge part of the game people are looking past because quite frankly they themselves keep playing something they are tired of and just force themselves through and find the things tedious.
I hope you're ready for Brock's level 4 Geodude and lvl 5 Onix...
They will prob be level 9 and 10 tbh

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I think we know what we're getting with the Let's Go games. It's not a new gen, it's more of a fun remake of Yellow, and people know that. As a result, the expectations are kind of low.

But Gen 8 is supposed to be the next evolutionary leap for the series, and the expectations for those games are sky high. Is it basically going to be X/Y/Sun/Moon with prettier graphics? Is it going to be more revolutionary in terms of the world, story, side quests, etc? Will there be controversial new mechanics and/or systems? The direction and overall quality of that game will tell us everything we need to know about the future of the Pokemon franchise.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Changing Green/Blue/Gary into an incompetent "friend" is what got me the most, as that aspect is what I despised about X/Y & Sun/Moon with their rivals being complete pushovers.

I don't care if the rival is an asshat or not, as Barry in Diamond/Pearl was a fairly competitive & enthusiastic rival that filled the role just fine.

I generally agree with what you said. I dread the thought that they will bring the mechanics introduced in these games into the next generation Pokémon games, which will further drive me away from playing them.

If Pokemon was some super deep game and they wanted to release a dumped down version I would get it. However it already was one of the simplest popular games out there (outside of breeding/ev-ivs for competitve play) so dumbing down the single player, I just don't get it. It's literally already too simple and easy for alot of kids who don't have the nostalgia for it.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Remember when Pokemon was fun and challenging the same time

Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver & Crystal we're

and 8 year old me had no problems finishing the game