• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The catch mechanic is fine with some finetuning. It's the grind aspect where catching is 100% of the game that differentiates Go and Let's Go.

Yes but Let's Go would lose the real world search aspect and that I believe what most players play Pokemon Go for. again my opinion and how it appealed to me, my friends and my family and relatives.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
For comparison.

Top Left is the exact same trainer in FR/LG

1528831111814.png

I just... ugh.

Like, seriously, this is just wild. They didn't simply remove one of the Pokemon. They removed one, and made the remainder half the level of what they originally were. Yeah sure, level 3 from 6 isn't HUGE, but it's damn telling what's to expect from the rest of the battles. This is just... too easy looking.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I trust them, but I got the game for like 37.99$USD too so even if it's a miss the blow won't be too hard. :lol

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but Let's Go would lose the real world search aspect and that I believe what most players play Pokemon Go for. again my opinion and how it appealed to me, my friends and my family and relatives.
That's very true. That's what appeals to me too. That you can walk with your dog and catch Pokemon in the meantime. Which is why I suppose they're integrating aspects of that in Let's Go with the Pokeball Plus functioning as a real Pokeball you can take with you.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also as nice as the pokemon roaming the world is, seeing them all just walk around randomly with no rhyme or reason just looks like a giant clusterfuck.

If they do bring THAT back for gen 8 I really hope they actually have the pokemon actually living in their environments decently and the worlds scope fits that, if they can't just leave that shit as random battles

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I just... ugh.

Like, seriously, this is just wild. They didn't simply remove one of the Pokemon. They removed one, and made the remainder half the level of what they originally were. Yeah sure, level 3 from 6 isn't HUGE, but it's damn telling what's to expect from the rest of the battles. This is just... too easy looking.

And they added the ability for you to have a partner drop in and help you out, just in case those changes still pose too big a challenge

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because you saying you and your girlfriend have done it a tonne does not mean anything for my own user experience. If you had like some high Pokédex completion, I'd probably buy that you both aren't just lucky and I'm just unlucky.

If you're saying you need to use razzberries, curve throws and aim for a small circle to catch most Pokemon, Id question if you'd even played Go tbh.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also as nice as the pokemon roaming the world is, seeing them all just walk around randomly with no rhyme or reason just looks like a giant clusterfuck.

If they do bring THAT back for gen 8 I really hope they actually have the pokemon actually living in their environments decently and the worlds scope fits that, if they can't just leave that shit as random battles

Or improved DexNav.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, kids are pretty stupid. There's a specific reason why Unova was so linear after the (comparatively) labyrinthine layout of Sinnoh.
If they want to make EC games, then drop the pretense that the games are for everyone. If they want to make games actually for everyone they need to realize that 4 year old still learning to read probably won't be able to get through the game alone/without help and that's ok

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Every Pokémon game is for everyone. Every generation of Pokémon creates new fans. So remind me why the kids introduced with Gen 7, a gen that's only a year and a half old, are being told they can't bring their Incineroar into this game.
This thread has really been eye opening.

Now I understand why The Pokemon Company is begging their fans not to be upset with them and had to announce a game that they literally don't have anything to show of alongside this reveal.

You guys are right. How dare they make something else. The balls on these guys at The Pokemon Company. Wanting to try something new.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Now I understand why The Pokemon Company is begging their fans not to be upset with them and had to announce a game that they literally don't have anything to show of alongside this reveal.

You guys are right. How dare they make something else. The balls on these guys at The Pokemon Company. Wanting to try something new.
Remaking a game that's already been remade once before is trying something new now huh

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, kids are pretty stupid. There's a specific reason why Unova was so linear after the (comparatively) labyrinthine layout of Sinnoh.

Kids are playing Minecraft and Fortnite just fine. All they needed was some QoL features to have an idea of where to go next in case they didn't get the memo, not turn the world into a literal straight line.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say you needed all of those things all at once or on most Pokémon.

Then what are you saying? Someone said catching Pokémon in Go was simple and you responded with "Nuh-uh, berries and circles and curves". I explained that you rarely need to use those and now you're saying "I know".

What was your original point then? How is catching Pokémon in Go not a simple affair?

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
For comparison.

Top Left is the exact same trainer in FR/LG

1528831111814.png

I'm genuinely curious whose idea it was to make an already easy game not just easier, but significantly easier.

It's incredible, really. Making already easy battles completely brain dead easy. Changing catching to be even more tedious by making every encounter identical, regardless of species/type.

I cannot for the life of me fathom these decisions.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Did you try the new cheese burger? It's just like it but it doesn't have cheese!

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
And they added the ability for you to have a partner drop in and help you out, just in case those changes still pose too big a challenge

I can't beat this trainer's level 2 Pidgey with my level 10 Pikachu, HELP.

But seriously... do GameFreak believe that kids (or casuals, or whoever the targeted audience is) are this incapable of playing the game in the state it originally was in? And of course, I mean in regards to the trainer levels and Pokemon count. This is just... THIS DOESN'T LOOK FUN TO ME, I'M SORRY, GF.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

There's a difference between making something new and spitting all over everything that came before it.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

But seriously... do GameFreak believe that kids (or casuals, or whoever the targeted audience is) are this incapable of playing the game in the state it originally was in? And of course, I mean in regards to the trainer levels and Pokemon count. This is just... THIS DOESN'T LOOK FUN TO ME, I'M SORRY, GF.
It's super hilarious just because they have their jr division at worlds for the card game and battles in the main game
SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Get this children are stupid talk out of here. Children are in a constant state of learning and expanding.

Oct 27, 2017

I love how when confronted with legitimate questions you deflect and start talking about other things instead of even attempting to answer it. The crux of complaints is that we have a series that has already been targeting everyone, and in recent years has actually started reducing difficulty and skewing younger, have a game announced that somehow seems to be made even easier than the already easy difficulty. And because we have the gall to ask legitimate questions about the reason for this, you get annoyed?

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's going to be really funny watching all the complaints with the existence of wild Pokemon battles vanish the moment the Gen 8 trailer drops.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

That's also the point. Even when you try to make a product "for everyone" you have to draw the bottom line **somewhere**. If that means leaving out kids in kindergarten that can barely read and adults that find current mainline Pokémon games too confusing or complicated (they're not), so be it. You just can't make a JRPG happen catering to people that either cannot or would rather not read.

It's like Game Freak always gets the wrong message every single time. Sinnoh too confusing and maze-like? Next region is a straight line instead of attempting some QoL, next objective reminders and map pointers. Kids are dropping the game? "They must be too hard, dumb them down even more" instead of realising they are alienated by the handholding and can handle complicated experiences like Minecraft just fine. Not many people reach the end game facilities or will enjoy them? Just cut them out completely and piss people off instead of making it more attractive to casual players.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Then what are you saying? Someone said catching Pokémon in Go was simple and you responded with "Nuh-uh, berries and circles and curves". I explained that you rarely need to use those and now you're saying "I know".

What was your original point then? How is catching Pokémon in Go not a simple affair?
My point was that it was not a fast no nonsense affair. You need to do some of those things if you dont want a Pokémon to break free and run away. It's not even fast no nonsense affair in the e3 tree house live stream.

You didn't explain anything. You said I was wrong because you and your girlfriend have seemingly magaged to catch'em all by just chucking Pokéballs and I'm supposed to believe you over my own experience.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They insist on calling this a mainline title so I'm going to judge it as such. They actively removed things I enjoyed from this game while adding nothing in return IMO. I'm going to be upset by that and I feel I should be allowed to voice my frustrations.

Bring different does not inherently mean it'll be good or that I must enjoy it.

And don't tell me "it's not for you" because the Pokémon Company sure is trying to tell me otherwise.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point was that it was not a fast no nonsense affair. You need to do some of those things if you dont want a Pokémon to break free and run away. It's not even fast no nonsense affair in the e3 tree house live stream.

You didn't explain anything. You said I was wrong because you and your girlfriend have seemingly magaged to catch'em all by just chucking Pokéballs and I'm supposed to believe you over my own experience.

Even if you need to use a berry or something, which you really don't in almost every case, that's literally tapping twice on your screen before throwing a ball. How is that anything but "no nonsense"? You don't need to worry about type match ups, status effects, weakening the Pokemon, move PP, healing etc. It's as simple as it possibly could be.

What to you would be a "no nonsense" approach to catching Pokémon?

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Indeed. Wild Pokémon make up the bulk of encounters of the game. There are much more wild Pokémon than there are trainers. Making battles trainer-exclusive reduces the opportunities players have to practice their skills and learn the type chart and stuff. Of course, it can still certainly be done, but having more opportunity to practice and learn those skills is a good thing, and since this is supposed to be targeted at people who played Go and may not be familiar with the battle system, I can't be sure that limiting opportunities to practice those skills and leaving them purely to trainer battles is the best move. Either way, it doesn't really seem that consistent with the direction of the game to not have it as so much as an option.

But I'm not really worried about that too much. That's weird, but can still work out. What I'm more curious about is if, since this game is targeted at particularly younger and more casual audiences, whether it will be able to hold their attention without wild Pokémon battles and if they won't just stop playing entirely after a few hours due to everything being even more samey and repetitive than previous Pokémon games.

Of course, some may see that as odd, with how I keep seeing wild Pokémon battles being described as boring and tedious in this thread. But what I mean by that, even if you think that way, is that not only do wild Pokémon battles give you more chance to engage with and learn the fundamentals of the game, but it's also where the personality and differences between different species of Pokémon really shine.

Each Pokémon does its own separate thing, which you have to keep in mind as you battle and try to weaken them so that you're able to catch them. Not only do each of them use different types of moves, often (but far from always) reflecting the type of Pokémon they are, but some are more proficient at and try to hit you from the Physical side, whereas others try and hit you from the Special. Some are particularly speedy and will move before most of your Pokémon, while others are slow as a tank but also hurt like one or have the armor of one. Some Pokémon try to Poison you, others Burn you, some Paralyze, or Confuse you. And yet other Pokémon will try other tricky stuff, like stopping you from using certain moves with your Pokémon, preventing you from leaving the battle, switching witch Pokémon you have out on the field, switching which Pokémon will move first, and all kinds of other stuff.

And regardless of which of those things any particular Pokémon does, with wild Pokémon battles, as you're fighting and trying to weaken and capture them, you get that little preview of what that Pokémon is all about. Not only does it make the encounters with Pokémon themselves more diverse and interesting, but it helps you see if that's really a Pokémon you want on your team and want to use based on what moves it ends up using and stuff (of if it's something that doesn't really interest you after you all). In LGE/LGP, you just have to wait until you capture them instead.

But, moreover, you don't see any of that personality or differences between different Pokémon period (other than just your models) as you're trying to catch them, and instead it will just be the same thing, regardless of what Pokémon you're running into. Doesn't matter whether you run into a Pikachu or a Bulbasaur. A Kadabra, or an Onix. A Kangaskhan, or a Lapras. You're just chucking Pokéballs in the exact same way you would any other Pokémon, while they stand around doing nothing. Whether they're strong or weak, fast or slow, Water-type or Fire-type, Dragon or Fairy, everything just goes exactly the same way, every time.

It's easy to say that wild Pokémon battles don't offer much, especially as you get further in the game, but nonetheless, at least they offer something, make Pokémon feel in some way different from one another beyond appearance. But with wild Pokémon battles removed and just this catching game in its place? If anything, I don't see how that won't result in wild Pokémon being even more boring and repetitive to run into, since there's way less difference before: just chuck balls and wait to catch them while the wild Pokémon does absolutely nothing in return. And I really wonder how long something like that can hold new players' attention, if things are that repetitive, and there's less difference between running into and trying to catch one particular kind of Pokémon versus any other other than at any point in the series' history. It will definitely be interesting to see how that turns out and people end up reacting to that, in any case.

And just one final thing, as far as wild Pokémon battles go, is a bit of nibbling thing, but it kinda bothers me all the same with them being gone, and that's how wild Pokémon battles, in addition to all of the above, make up a good bit of the worldbuilding in Pokémon games. Typically, part of the reason you're even given your first Pokémon in most games is to defend yourself/others (such as a Professor in trouble) from wild Pokémon. But if wild Pokémon are now so docile that they just sit there and let you chuck Pokéballs at them and do absolutely nothing about it, that doesn't really make sense any more. Similarly, when you run away from wild Pokémon, you get the text "got away safely!" which, while it may seem silly later on, at least makes sense at the start of most Pokémon games when they can do your team harm. But now, that text has been preserved in LGE/LGP, but it's even weirder, because even from the beginning the question is "...Got away safely from what? They weren't going to do anything anyway..."

Those may seem like smaller things, and perhaps they are, but just clashing with the worldbuilding of the series like that is still just bizarre to me.

But mainly though, I just can't help but wonder if the younger audiences they're targeting with these games might end up getting bored even faster than before, due to the catching minigame getting more repetitive than wild Pokémon battles ever did and making different species of Pokémon feel a lot less different and interesting than they actually are. Just seems like one of those changes that could have the exact opposite of the intended result to me, but only time will tell I suppose.
Well put.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

I have no doubt they made the game more, for lack of a better word, "casual" to attract new gamers

But I would not put that much stock for a demo built for E3. It's meant to showcase the game and doesn't have to be 1:1

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
It's super hilarious just because they have their jr division at worlds for the card game and battles in the main game
SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Get this children are stupid talk out of here. Children are in a constant state of learning and expanding.

Man... I GUESS... this really could be seen as an attempt at grabbing the casual crowd. Like people who do not know the core elements of Pokemon outside of the catching. Because at this point, that is the only group of people I could imagine would struggle with the battle mechanics. BUT EVEN THEN. If young children are jumping into competitive Pokemon, then there is no real excuse. The game shouldn't have this level of hand-holding or ease. Dawg, this is just baby mode.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
The best part about Let's Go is how Sun/Moon has somehow become Dark Souls. Some of the online discourse has been good at least.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I like what I've seen so far from the game and I'm a sucker for all things Gen 1 pokémon so I'm buying it.

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
the only major change is the fact that you can't fight wild pokémon right? seems fine to me since they provided an alternative way of leveling up in the game but i still think it's a strange decision.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
As long as trainer battles work traditionally, I'm fine with it, along with getting exp and leveling from them. Random battles/traditional catching doesn't matter much to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt they made the game more, for lack of a better word, "casual" to attract new gamers

But I would not put that much stock for a demo built for E3. It's meant to showcase the game and doesn't have to be 1:1

Co-op is a new feature introduced in the game. It wasn't just made for the E3 demo. It was also featured in the reveal trailer and commented on during interviews. I'd understand this if the difficulty remained the same, but it largely seems to have been added to allow parents and children (well, people in general) to play together

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to trust them after Sun/Moon. They keep simplifying the series for kids and yet, I strongly contest the notion that the series was ever so complicated that it presented a high barrier of entry for children.

Kids are playing all sorts of stuff these days. Pokemon being complicated is a non issue.