• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's super hilarious just because they have their jr division at worlds for the card game and battles in the main game
SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Get this children are stupid talk out of here. Children are in a constant state of learning and expanding.

Got to give the kid props for using Torkoal, Hariyama, Gigalith and Oranguru

UnmNAJkr.jpg

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
No it's our new cheeseburger we are trying to market our new cheeseburger to people who love cheeseburgers

Except they said it's for a different audience than the usual cheeseburger crowd, ones who like hamburgers. And they think people who eat regular cheeseburgers might enjoy them too.

This is actually a great example of how reasonable what they're saying is and how obtuse and entitled fans are being :thinking:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Except they said it's for a different audience than the usual cheeseburger crowd, ones who like hamburgers. And they think people who eat regular cheeseburgers might enjoy them too.

This is actually a great example of how reasonable what they're saying is and how obtuse and entitled fans are being :thinking:
Except for the fact that Pokemon games have ALWAYS been for all audiences, so how is it entitled for people to be frustrated when GF is turning away their hardcore fans for literally no reason?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the market research on this didn't go beyond "lots of people downloaded Pokemon Go". If targeting children was the goal then they've totally missed the mark considering what is actually popular with kids right now, and in recent years.

Oct 26, 2017
Game Freak could probably serve young children and their actual fanbase of 16-25 year old fans if, you know, Game Freak included options in their games.

But they don't for reasons that don't make any sense.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Not really, but the people hyper defending the game in relation to the others in the series are cute. People are allowed to like what they like, but I've played enough games and I'm old and experienced enough to know how these things play out with most people.

People are going to buy up the game, get bored pretty quickly and peace out. Gamefreak still wins they sold a copy or two and some useless gimmick addons and laugh to the bank that their filler game worked.

These games are special and last a year plus of nonstop playing, I really dont see that happening here sorry.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be some confusion as to Game Freak's intentions.

If you are wondering "is this game for me?" I made this handy chart just for you

Y6vtsUk.png

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I just... ugh.

Like, seriously, this is just wild. They didn't simply remove one of the Pokemon. They removed one, and made the remainder half the level of what they originally were. Yeah sure, level 3 from 6 isn't HUGE, but it's damn telling what's to expect from the rest of the battles. This is just... too easy looking.

Games were already super easy to begin with. Don't even have to look at the screen can just spam the same move over and over and win.

Really hope the 2019 game has a hard mode that forces you to have tight match ups and high level pokemon to progress.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Except for the fact that Pokemon games have ALWAYS been for all audiences, so how is it entitled for people to be frustrated when GF is turning away their hardcore fans for literally no reason?

I mean, why don't you read what they said and figure it out...

"Younger kids that dont usually play video games...people who played Pokemon Go"

I dont understand the confusion. In fact, the expectation that appealing to the traditional crowd even means anything when these guys already treat their audience like its 12 years old makes it even more weird to act super offended at kids getting a Pokemon game?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to not like people discussing things that challenge something you like.

Games were already super easy to begin with. Don't even have to look at the screen can just spam the same move over and over and win.

Really hope the 2019 game has a hard mode that forces you to have tight match ups and high level pokemon to progress.
It would be nice but I highly doubt it.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017

Well yeah, that is true. Though with battles changed to SET, and without grinding, the games could get fairly tough. Obviously, one would have to go out of their way to make it so, but it was a nice way of challenging yourself.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but the people hyper defending the game in relation to the others in the series are cute. People are allowed to like what they like, but I've played enough games and I'm old and experienced enough to know how these things play out with most people.

People are going to buy up the game, get bored pretty quickly and peace out. Gamefreak still wins they sold a copy or two and some useless gimmick addons and laugh to the bank that their filler game worked.

These games are special and last a year plus of nonstop playing, I really dont see that happening here sorry.
Hyper defending defense force, super cute

If anything some people cant handle the idea that a game isnt for them. You can like or not like anything you want. If you wanna act confused by Game Freaks statements or act like people dont order cheeseburgers without cheese then thats on you, it doesnt matter to me one way or the other. The game isnt intended for me either.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ok so I had my main translator look at the sentence in question.

It's not "Please trust us" regarding the games. It is

根本的なところを踏み外すわけがないと、信じていてください。
Please believe that there is no way that we will stray from the basic elements.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

They already have tho :P

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the idea that Pokémon games have always been for everyone. To someone who doesn't normally play games, managing a team of 6 Pokemon out of hundreds, with many combinations of type strengths and weaknesses, Pokemon with moves that don't match their elemental type, dozens upon dozens of items, TMs, HMs etc. To someone who doesn't normally play games, Pokemon games are obtuse as hell.

Part of the reason Go took off was because it simplified almost all of that and made it purely about collecting different Pokémon in a very simple way. I've played at least 1 game from every Pokemon gen and while the games were easy to me, I'm not going to pretend that absolutely everyone wants to deal with everything that they offer.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

So this whole thread has been pointless really lol.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
One the best additions to the most recent pokemon games is bosses which teamed up 2v1 against you.

This game lets you 2v1 generic trainers. That alone says a ton about how this is clearly not for people who liked what Sun and Moon brought to the table, so I'll just trust that gen 8 is good and continues in the direction that gen 7 went with making bosses tougher.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
knowing GF, if there's a hard mode, it'll inexplicably be an unlockable hidden behind large arcane prerequisites.

You want a harder experience? Just have your best friend complete their National Dex, at which they'll unlock a Hard Pass, which they can send to you through Mystery Gift!

That shit don't even sound implausible because it's Game Freak

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people talking about cheese burgers? I want a cheese burger.

I'm hungry now. Stupid cheese burgers. I need to catch up on the rest of the thread.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
knowing GF, if there's a hard mode, it'll inexplicably be an unlockable hidden behind large arcane prerequisites.

You want a harder experience? Just have your best friend complete their National Dex, at which they'll unlock a Hard Pass, which they can send to you through Mystery Gift!

The hard mode/easy mode unlock shit in black and white was so stupid. Why the hell would I want to unlock an easy mode after I already beat the game *white* and have to get hard mode passed on from someone that beat the other game *black*

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter. The game looks great and I can't wait to play it. I'm getting a core game next year so it doesn't bother me.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I mean, why don't you read what they said and figure it out...

"Younger kids that dont usually play video games...people who played Pokemon Go"

I dont understand the confusion. In fact, the expectation that appealing to the traditional crowd even means anything when these guys already treat their audience like its 12 years old makes it even more weird to act super offended at kids getting a Pokemon game?
But they don't NEED to water down the game to appeal to kids. I played the shit out of Pokemon games when I was a 8, and I didn't need to have the game mechanics spoon-fed to me and with over 50% of the battles ripped out. Most of the people on this thread can say the same. There's no good reason why they couldn't have made a game that embodies what long time fans want from the series, AND caters to new fans as well. "They made this game shit because it's supposed to be for kids!" is a stupid argument.

And yet here they are showing hardcore fans the door just because, while at the same time telling us to "just trust them" even though they've given us not a single reason to.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to not like people discussing things that challenge something you like.

No thats not how it works, I can break it down for you if you need to. I can make a venn diagram. By your logic you dont like people liking things you dislike? I am not even arguing that this is going to be a good game or anything, thats how you know this argument is barely even being made in good faith.

You are arguing that Game Freak is somehow being nonsensical, and forcing confusion upon yourself by not understanding how in the world this game could possibly not be for you when they just said you might enjoy it, and wondering where your favorite elements are since now thanks to this misunderstanding somehow Game Freak has promised you a game.

This game is for babies, literally even younger audience than usual. I dont know how else to say it to you. They hope you will enjoy it too. But if them saying they are making this for a younger more casual audience that doesnt even usually play video games means nothing to you, youre being delusional? Like, look at the game, listen to what they are saying.

If you want to criticize the game go ahead, if you want to pretend that this game is supposed to be for you, ignore that they have 2019 games stated to be catered more toward traditional audiences, and act confused and affronted, and liken it to something as crazy as someone wanting a burger with no cheese (wow impossible) then I am happy to continue to point out how silly it looks. Simple as that.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

That's a big translation difference!

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the idea that Pokémon games have always been for everyone. To someone who doesn't normally play games, managing a team of 6 Pokemon out of hundreds, with many combinations of type strengths and weaknesses, Pokemon with moves that don't match their elemental type, dozens upon dozens of items, TMs, HMs etc. To someone who doesn't normally play games, Pokemon games are obtuse as hell.

Part of the reason Go took off was because it simplified almost all of that and made it purely about collecting different Pokémon in a very simple way. I've played at least 1 game from every Pokemon gen and while the games were easy to me, I'm not going to pretend that absolutely everyone wants to deal with everything that they offer.

But this is your opinion as someone who does play games. If this were the prevailing opinion of people who don't play games they wouldn't be nearly as popular with younger kids as they are. We would haven't enough younger fans to have a Jr division at the Pokemon World Championships. You don't ever need to know all the pokemon, or weaknesses and resistances (and the game shows you move effectiveness in battle anyway), nor do you need to use TMs, and HMs have been phased out for the last few gens and don't even exist anymore. You're intentionally making them sound vastly more complex than they are despite the fact most of that can be largely ignored and not affect a player's ability to get through the games at all.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

To me that's basically saying "Please trust us."

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Yeah, it's dumb. Just give me trainers to fight that have full 6 pokemon that are fully evolved and high level. Hate being far into the game still fighting trainers who only have 2-3 unevolved low level pokemon. Snooze fest, beat Moon by just having my Slowbro use watergun, give me challenge damn it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

And yet they remove the wild Pokemon battles?

Doesn't come off any better if you ask me.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
But they don't NEED to water down the game to appeal to kids. I played the shit out of Pokemon games when I was a 8, and I didn't need to have the game mechanics spoon-fed to me and with over 50% of the battles ripped out. Most of the people on this thread can say the same. There's no good reason why they couldn't have made a game that embodies what long time fans want from the series, AND caters to new fans as well. "They made this game shit because it's supposed to be for kids!" is a stupid fucking argument.

And yet here they are showing hardcore fans the door just because, while at the same time telling us to "just trust them" even though they've given us not a single reason to.
You think the game is shit, thats not an actual fact.

They didnt sit down in the board room and say "lets make this game shit"

They might...and I know this is shocking but hear me out...they might think this is a good game? They might have actually tried to make a fun video game idk maybe im crazy here lol

Maybe youre right maybe they were like "to make this for kids we should put in a bunch of shitty ideas and make the game shit" but something tells me they actually thought this stuff was a good idea

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But this is your opinion as someone who does play games. If this were the prevailing opinion of people who don't play games they wouldn't be nearly as popular with younger kids as they are. We would haven't enough younger fans to have a Jr division at the Pokemon World Championships. You don't ever need to know all the pokemon, or weaknesses and resistances (and the game shows you move effectiveness in battle anyway), nor do you need to use TMs, and HMs have been phased out for the last few gens and don't even exist anymore. You're intentionally making them sound vastly more complex than they are despite the fact most of that can be largely ignored and not affect a player's ability to get through the games at all.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a young person to get into Pokémon games, just disputing the repeated assertstion that all Pokémon games up until now have been designed to appeal to everyone, because thy simply haven't. To someone like my girlfriend, a mainline Pokémon game is absolutely too complex, yet she's played Go almost daily since it launched.

Pokemon Go exploded because everyone was playing it. People who rarely play games, never mind Pokémon games, were playing go because of how accessible it was. Everyone has a story about how their grandparents or uncles who never played a game in their life were out catching Pokémon in Go, who has a story about their grandma getting into Ultra Sun as their first game?

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Co-op is a new feature introduced in the game. It wasn't just made for the E3 demo. It was also featured in the reveal trailer and commented on during interviews. I'd understand this if the difficulty remained the same, but it largely seems to have been added to allow parents and children (well, people in general) to play together

Oh man I think I quoted the wrong post my bad, I was referring more to the levels of Pokemon in the demo not necessarily having to mean anything for the final build.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
And yet they remove the wild Pokemon battles?

Doesn't come off any better if you ask me.

Pretty much the same with that translation, I'd even say it ends up even worse. "no way that we will stray from the basic elements" - **proceeds to stray from the basic elements and show everyone in the world how much they strayed away from the basic elements**

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
trust them with what? are they turning it into a normal pokemon game behind our backs ?
Exactly? I'm getting it regardless because I've been in Pokemon drought since Gen 6 and barely touch Gen 7 because wild battle in several occasions knock me out while grinding (Before people assume that I'm against Wild Battle because of it, I'm not but I'm against not having it thou); unlike most people I don't hate the Pokemon Go throwing mechanics thou I got bored of Go after 1 month, but even if they don't have wild battle I wish they could of done more with this GO function then throw a Pokeball to capture because this is Gamefreak we're talking about. Since they got rid of Safari Zone and turn this whole game into that I stated this couple times like add in type of throwing stuff besides berries or Pokemon Passive Move assist in which we can weaken Pokemon to capture easier without HP depleting to gain exp.

Example:
Fire/Rock Pokemon = Water Gun
Water/Flying Pokemon = Thunderwave
Grass/Bugs Pokemon = Fire Spin

Anyways back on topic about the trust in them, I read on Joe Merrick Twitter yesterday or day before or whenever that Gamefreak put out a survey stating about the core aspect of the Pokemon games and asking what we enjoy the most about it, and one of the check box is Battle Turn-By-Turn and choosing how my Pokemon Attacks. Probably reading into this too much but hopefully this could mean implementation of wild battle still in Let's Go and that this is what they mean with this quote of trust in them.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No thats not how it works, I can break it down for you if you need to. I can make a venn diagram. By your logic you dont like people liking things you dislike? I am not even arguing that this is going to be a good game or anything, thats how you know this argument is barely even being made in good faith.

You are arguing that Game Freak is somehow being nonsensical, and forcing confusion upon yourself by not understanding how in the world this game could possibly not be for you when they just said you might enjoy it, and wondering where your favorite elements are since now thanks to this misunderstanding somehow Game Freak has promised you a game.

This game is for babies, literally even younger audience than usual. I dont know how else to say it to you. They hope you will enjoy it too. But if them saying they are making this for a younger more casual audience that doesnt even usually play video games means nothing to you, youre being delusional? Like, look at the game, listen to what they are saying.

If you want to criticize the game go ahead, if you want to pretend that this game is supposed to be for you, ignore that they have 2019 games stated to be catered more toward traditional audiences, and act confused and affronted, and liken it to something as crazy as someone wanting a burger with no cheese (wow impossible) then I am happy to continue to point out how silly it looks. Simple as that.
I already know who it's intended for. It's intended for people that want to have a nostalgia grab and ditched the newer games while milking the go players with a game they could dump out quickly in the downtime before their gen 8 game.

This is a business first and foremost

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

This is a pretty apt analogy, actually.

Previous Pokemon RPGs:

Double-Cheeseburger-McDoNALDS.png

Not too many toppings, nothing super weird or hard to understand, and a wide appeal enough appeal for most people to enjoy.

Pokemon Let's Go:

hamburger11.jpg

The above, brought down to its barest essentials with most of the toppings and extras removed. Easy to understand, and some people may genuinely prefer it. But it's awfully boring and bland for most people, even for someone who's never had a burger.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I already know who it's intended for. It's intended for people that want to have a nostalgia grab and ditched the newer games while milking the go players with a game they could dump out quickly in the downtime before their gen 8 game.
Sure, whatever crazy pessimistic cynical narrative of a video game company making a game for kids you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.

As long as you understand its not for you and arent confused by that.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's fine, the fact we are getting a Switch Pokemon game at all this year is a bonus.

I expect most people complaining about the Let's Go games are probably the core fans who are upset over having to wait until 2019 for the next core game. Yeah it sucks to wait for things but let the new comers and beginners have their game, which to be honest still looks decent enough, I'm gonna check it out and let it fill the gap until the 2019 game.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Oh, a blatant lie then, cute.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Anyways back on topic about the trust in them, I read on Joe Merrick Twitter yesterday or day before or whenever that Gamefreak put out a survey stating about the core aspect of the Pokemon games and asking what we enjoy the most about it, and one of the check box is Battle Turn-By-Turn and choosing how my Pokemon Attacks. Probably reading into this too much but hopefully this could mean implementation of wild battle still in Let's Go and that this is what they mean with this quote of trust in them.

That they're asking these kind of questions 5 months away from release date in a lengthy online survey gives me the polar opposite of "trust". It gives me "we dun goofd" panic reaction.

Oct 27, 2017
I expect most people complaining about the Let's Go games are probably the core fans who are upset over having to wait until 2019 for the next core game
No, I'm actually glad it's not releasing till next year. I was getting annoyed at their insistence of not giving the games enough development time. I always to get the kind of game the Switch warranted, 2019 at the earliest was when it should be released