• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Pokemon included in the Sword and Shield trailer:

Pikachu (1)
Minccino (5)
Wishiwashi (7)
Grubbin (7)
Hoothoot (2)
Zweilous (5)
Flygon (3)
Braviary (5)
Wailmer (3)
Meowstic (6)
Lucario (4)
Tyranitar (2)
Munchlax (4)

Just the one gen 1 Pokemon. Are Game Freak going back to the gen 4 days of embracing the full set of Pokemon?

This is something that hasn't happened since gens 4 and 5 where gen 4 gave evolutions and pre-evolutions to all previous generations rounding everything off, and gen 5 was more of a fresh start. Gens 6 and 7 however had a lot of throwbacks to the first generation, and in general games like Pokemon GO started with the first gen, as did Pokemon Quest.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess they got all the Gen 1 pandering out of their system with Let's Go. Either way, I hope you're right.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I always felt that decision in recent generations was indicative of how many new creatures there are in the new gen in comparison to generations of the past. If we're not seeing a full new 150 like Gen V tried to do, then pepper in some of the old creatures to pad out and diversify the experience.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Lol don't get excited till we see what the gimmick is and see it pander to only gen 1 mons.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good signs but I'm not gonna breath easy just yet.

Let's see if they spread the love of whatever gimmick this Gen has.

JetJaguar88

Nov 7, 2017
Thank god. The way it should be. Every game should have a different mix of Pokemon from previous Gens. Keeps it fresh. The more chances I have had to use a Pokemon in a previous game, the more likely I will not want to choose it in a new game.

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 1 lovers have a whole title to themselves. No need to keep pandering to them in other games, granted we haven't seen what new features are in Sword and Shield yet and if it'll favor Gen 1 pokemon...

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There are already so many Pokemon, they should just give the spotlight to the lesser known, I wouldn't mind if new gen doesn't have more than 50 new.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it, thank god.

I was thinking about this too. It would be really neat to see this game's gimmick treat all of the gens equally
Gen 1 lovers have a whole title to themselves. No need to keep pandering to them in other games, granted we haven't seen what new features are in Sword and Shield yet and if it'll favor Gen 1 pokemon...

This was my worry too what with Megas at the start and mostly Alolan Pokemon, but that trailer is very very promising and I genuinely have hope that this game is going to embrace the whole Pokemon history!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Please let the new gen Pokes have the significantly highest number of monsters compared to the other gens again. The need to go back to the triple digits for new Pokemon.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Lack of gen 1 pandering so far is appreciated. But I wont get my hopes up till we know about the gimmick of this gen.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Fear not: There will be Zubats.

There are always Zubats.

Good because that means there is Crobats.

VIlA3.jpg

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah I really liked that they showed multiple gens in the reveal. Needed Gengar though. Everything is better with Gengar.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ya it's nice seeing the amount of different gen Pokémon in trailer. Here's hoping this is indicative of what the games pokédex will look like.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys are reading too much on it, I think they were just doing a retrospective kinda thing.

And also this "pandering" talk is getting really tired, every Pokémon thread is full of whining, let's chill, people.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
X and Y's trailers used all generations too. The gen 1 bias isn't clear until a couple months before release

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
This just means they'll be less new Pokemon, probably be around 85 new pokemon with most of them being worthless.
I mean, Gen V was technically the one with the least amount of direct Gen 1 influence and also with the most new Pokemon (even more than Gen 1's 150) while Gen 6 has the most outside of Gen 1 (and 2) and the least new Pokemon of any Generation.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
This just means they'll be less new Pokemon, probably be around 85 new pokemon with most of them being worthless.

New Pokemon are the most exciting part of a new generation for me, so I would love 100+ but it's got to the stage where as long as they distribute the other generations equally, there's enough total Pokemon to feel fresh. I'd be perfectly happy with 85 new ones as long as they don't go overboard with the legendaries.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that's the kind of thing I think we won't know about til the games come out but I'm hoping the fact that they JUST released titles with the original 151 in them means they'll make the regional dex focus on Pokemon that haven't been around in a while. The trailer opening with Minccino is a good sign, since it hasn't been in a campaign since Gen 5 iirc.

Glameow hasn't been in a dang game since Pearl version, save it GF

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I feel like I've seen the Flygon and Lucario lines so much over the past few games.

Hope to see a few more 'unsung' Pokemon in the wild

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, that's the kind of thing I think we won't know about til the games come out but I'm hoping the fact that they JUST released titles with the original 151 in them means they'll make the regional dex focus on Pokemon that haven't been around in a while. The trailer opening with Minccino is a good sign, since it hasn't been in a campaign since Gen 5 iirc.

Glameow hasn't been in a dang game since Pearl version, save it GF

Exactly, with Let's Go being a thing this makes sense, but I was worried they would go the completely opposite route and stick to being gen 1 based. Literally only way now the game can disappoint me is if every single Pokemon isn't programmed into the game, but so far every mainline Pokemon game has had every Pokemon in it so I can't see that happening.