• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It deserves first place. Third act had some rough patches but overall it was enjoyable considering the cringe fest I expected it to be before the first trailers dropped.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I didn't really like the movie tbh, I didn't like Warcraft either but I think WC still deserves the #1 spot.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
OP's avatar is the perfect reaction for this news.

Can't wait to see it when it hits home release.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will watch it again this weekend if I can find a theater near me that still plays it to help get it to number one!

What are the realistic chances of it becoming number one?

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not a horrible movie but it definitely isn't anything special. I think anyway, as a Pokemon fan.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
...why did people go see Rampage?

tsgq7a9jgmsy.jpg

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was the best video game movie, I wish it could have made first. I enjoyed Warcraft despite its flaws, but I still wish we had gotten an Arthas trilogy.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Rampage so can't comment on it, but I wouldn't mind if DP overtakes Warcraft. That movie was an embarrassment.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft is an odd film.

It's probably the most loyal video game film to its source material (to its detriment). Too many characters and not enough time to flesh them out.

It also feels like two entities in one; everything about the Orc parts of the film make me think that the director, writers, actors, and animators wanted to do it and put their all in.

The Human parts felt like the director had no passion for it and was forced to add it in.

I still think a Warcraft movie should be about a group of Alliance and Horde begrudgingly coming together to stop a threat from a classic raid (ex. Molten Core, Naxxramas). Either that or the story of Arthas.

Adapting any other story from the game contains way too many characters to be viable.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I think the only other non-Pokemon game movie I saw was Prince of Persia which I quite enjoyed. Well, unless you count Digimon the Movie (which is fucking awesome, especially the dub!).

Detective Pikachu was LOTS of fun. Now al ot might be due to being a Pokemon fan so bias is inevitable, but the humor/writing for Pikachu and Ryan's delivery was such a highlight, I feel that you don't really need to be a Pokemon fan to enjoy that.

Aine

May 27, 2019
It was pretty medicore as a film, but there have been far worse video game adaptations.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
From the blockbuster movies this year Pikachu was definitely one of the best (or even the best?).

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked all but the last act of Detective Pikachu. It got too dumb at the end.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is definitely a so bad its good movie these days.
It's frankly just good. Cheesy good, but good.

There's a reason people actually remember many of the lines from the movie and can't remember a single line from Detective Pikachu.
I think the only other non-Pokemon game movie I saw was Prince of Persia which I quite enjoyed. Well, unless you count Digimon the Movie (which is fucking awesome, especially the dub!).

Detective Pikachu was LOTS of fun. Now al ot might be due to being a Pokemon fan so bias is inevitable, but the humor/writing for Pikachu and Ryan's delivery was such a highlight, I feel that you don't really need to be a Pokemon fan to enjoy that.
You... You might want to rewatch the movie.

Or better yet, don't. Watch the Japanese OVAs butchered to make the movie (Particularly the fucking awesome Our War Game, which is probably the part of the movie you remember most fondly).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's frankly just good. Cheesy good, but good.

It's outright good. It has great color palette, really awesome cinematography, was a pioneer of wuxia in the west, great casting, the plot doesn't veer from the comic/games, etc.

The people who have to have a caveat about "it's so bad it's good" are just too insecure to actually acknowledge that it's a solid film, even ignoring the entire video game schtick. It's a legitimate kung fu film.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-hilariously bad early cgi that aged like milk

Most of Mortal Kombat uses practical effects, CGI is used sparringly, and most of the effects in the movie are terrific.

-cheap looking sets, costumes and corny acting (especially the second movie)

Nobody is talking about the second movie, and the first movie doesn't use sets, it was filmed in actual thai temples.

-its Mortal Kombat without blood

And yet, like psycho, it still manages to imply what it wants because it has great direction.

So, basically, your complaints are all superficial, "it's not sparkly enough," "there aren't enough blood drops in this fight" schlop. Definitely sounds like a great film analysis.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good for them. Obviously I was hoping for a lot more out of Pokemon, but maybe this is enough to spawn some other movies in the Pokeverse. Enjoyed the movie waaay more than I expected once people started me to keep my expectations in check.

Also, I still find it a disservice that Rampage is called a video game movie. It's a kaiju movie that was slapped on with names from the Rampage series. Almost nothing in it has to do with the games. We didn't even get a kaiju Rock transformation :(

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
-hilariously bad early cgi that aged like milk
-cheap looking sets, costumes and corny acting (especially the second movie)
-its Mortal Kombat without blood
Nobody gives a shit about the 2nd movie. The 1st movie has some great performances, some really good fight scenes (Liu Kang vs Reptile when he's not shitty CGI), and a fucking banging script filled with memorable one-liners. Even the shitty CGI for Reptile or Sub-Zero's ice manages to be charming due to the lighthearted and winking tone of the movie. And there are some wonderful practical effects like the animatronics used for Goro.
It's outright good. It has great color palette, really awesome cinematography, was a pioneer of wuxia in the west, great casting, the plot doesn't veer from the comic/games, etc.

The people who have to have a caveat about "it's so bad it's good" are just too insecure to actually acknowledge that it's a solid film, even ignoring the entire video game schtick. It's a legitimate kung fu film.
That's what I meant when I said it's just good. The movie honestly holds up really well. It has some cheesy bits and some of the actors are hamming it up like Christopher Lambert, but that just adds to the theatrical tone.
Nobody is talking about the second movie, and the first movie doesn't use sets, it was filmed in actual thai temples.
...Wait, what

That's crazy.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Primal Rage. Fighting game by Atari.

xjMRsam.gif

Lmao! Oh yeah! Shit.. what the fuck was Rampage then? I spent a ton of years mistaking the two and telling people Rampage was mediocre at best and I've never played it. I kind of feel bad.

No need to answer my questions. I'll google it later once I get time to do so.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They filmed on location in Thailand. All those "ancient sets" aren't fake, they're real. Filming on location was actually so expensive that they couldn't afford to bring Christopher Lambert out and he was going to use a body double and close ups filmed in LA to get around it, but he didn't want to do that so he essentially did the movie for free, paying his own way to Thailand for the filming.

2560px-Sunset_at_Wat_Chaiwatthanaram%2C_Ayutthaya%2C_Thailand.jpg

2880px-Wat_phra_sri_sanpetch_%28Temple%29%2C_Ayutthaya%2C_Thailand.jpg

2560px-Wat_ratchaburana.jpg

2880px-Railay_Beach_5.jpg

Shooting locations in Thailand were accessible only by boat, so cast, crew and equipment had to be transported on long canoe-like vessels. Gerrit Folsom constructed an outhouse in a secluded area near the set in order to alleviate the problem of repeated trips to and from the mainland. Filming locations in Thailand include the Wat Phra Si Sanphet and Wat Ratchaburana temples. The arrival of Earth's contestants via boats, Liu Kang's meditation scene and the fight between Liu Kang and Kitana were filmed at the Railay Beach and the Phra Nang Beach, respectively. The bows of the boats were fitted with ornamental dragon-head carvings and used in the movie as the fighters' secondary transport to Shang Tsung's island from his junk.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They filmed on location in Thailand. All those "ancient sets" aren't fake, they're real. Filming on location was actually so expensive that they couldn't afford to bring Christopher Lambert out and he was going to use a body double and close ups filmed in LA to get around it, but he didn't want to do that so he essentially did the movie for free, paying his own way to Thailand for the filming.

2560px-Sunset_at_Wat_Chaiwatthanaram%2C_Ayutthaya%2C_Thailand.jpg

2880px-Wat_phra_sri_sanpetch_%28Temple%29%2C_Ayutthaya%2C_Thailand.jpg

2560px-Wat_ratchaburana.jpg

2880px-Railay_Beach_5.jpg
That's awesome. I had no idea the movie was filmed on location, but it worked really well for the atmosphere.