• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
20190108111316.png

Creatures, Inc a company affiliated with the development of renowned Pokemon series has posted a tweet in their official Twitter account of the members of the company worshiping in Yasukuni's shrine.

This sparked a huge controversy in Korean and Chinese forums since Yasukuni shrine's enshrinement of Japanese War criminals (you can read more about why and how Yasukuni is problematic here), and company has since deleted their Tweet but has not issued an apology as of now.

https://www.gamemeca.com/view.php?gid=1521216

Update !)

Creautures issued an apology on the subject on their website!

https://www.creatures.co.jp/ug/

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
According to wiki their HQ is close to Ichigaya Station in Chiyodora, so Yasukuni happens to be the closest (large) shrine nearby as well. I don't know if a lot of companies do a shrine visit their first day back at work or not, but I'd believe it.

Probably not intentional, still dumb probably

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
According to wiki their HQ is close to Ichigaya Station in Chiyodora, so Yasukuni happens to be the closest (large) shrine nearby as well. I don't know if a lot of companies do a shrine visit their first day back at work or not, but I'd believe it.
Yeah, this just seems like a really braindead social media blunder, lol. I don't think Creatures are intending to make a political statement the way Abe did.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy

Indeed (just Chiyoda, not Chyodora). There's really nothing to see here. Usual forced political controversy that has no reason to be. There's no reason people with zero institutional responsibilities shouldn't visit one of the biggest shrines in Tokyo.

Funnily, the gardens behind Yasukuni Shrine are one of my favorite places to work at when I'm in Tokyo. Really peaceful and quiet, with carps as big as my leg in the pond.

tZczR8n.jpg

Incidentally, visiting with your colleagues the Shinto shrine or Buddhist temple closest to your company on New Year is extremely common in Japan.

Last edited:

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yasukuni Shrine is massive and hugely popular. During festivals you can barely move in some sections of it. I have visited with members of my company (we are on Yasukuni street). There is literally nothing to see here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Probably not intentional, still dumb probably

I mean, yes and no. The Japanese intentionally obfuscate how problematic Yasukuni is, but a lot of them also don't really understand the ritual significance of religious actions. Religion is a very passive thing in Japan so a tradition like going to the nearest shrine for the new year is probably something they don't think twice about. To them it's not a statement or endorsement like praying at a certain church would be in an Abrahamic religious context. It *can* be, when undertaken a certain way (as the ultranationalists and war apologists in Japan are all to eager to do here), but not for the average person.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I mean, yes and no. The Japanese intentionally obfuscate how problematic Yasukuni is, but a lot of them also don't really understand the ritual significance of religious actions. Religion is a very passive thing in Japan so a tradition like going to the nearest shrine for the new year is probably something they don't think twice about. To them it's not a statement or endorsement like praying at a certain church would be in an Abrahamic religious context. It *can* be, when undertaken a certain way (as the ultranationalists and war apologists in Japan are all to eager to do here), but not for the average person.
100% accurate.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my company only asks managers to visit the local shrine on the first day in the new year. I get to be comfy at my desk.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I mean, even in the tweet it looks more like a company picnic than anything else.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the most of us have the cultural understanding needed to say something useful about that topic.

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Usual forced political controversy that has no reason to be. There's no reason people with zero institutional responsibilities shouldn't visit one of the biggest shrines in Tokyo.
I'm sure the victims of those war crimes and their families are happy that you've stepped up to speak for them and tell them how they should feel. Your superior life experience and perspective on the topic has been very useful.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yasukuni is shit but this is a nothing burger. It would be one thing if they talked up donation or support for the shrine in particular. Especially if they have a political agenda and are intentionally making a statement. This isn't the case here.

But venerating war criminals is still shiiiiiiiit. Parts of Japanese culture is repulsive and gross.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
For those not familiar with controversies surrounding Yasukuni shrine, Wikipedia has a good article on the gist of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Yasukuni_Shrine

Particularly this part on "war criminals" section:

The shrine enshrines and, according to Shinto beliefs, provides a permanent residence for the spirits of those who have fought on behalf of the emperor, regardless of whether they died in combat. 1,068 of the enshrined kami were POWs convicted of some level of war crime after World War II. Enshrinement typically carries absolution of earthly deeds.

One of the criteria for enshrinement at Yasukuni is that a person be listed as having died of any cause while on duty in the war dead registry of the Japanese government. According to documents released on March 28, 2007, by the National Diet Library of Japan, Health and Welfare Ministry officials and Yasukuni representatives agreed during a meeting, on January 31, 1969, that Class-A war criminals judged at the Tokyo Trial were "able to be honored" as decided by the Shrine Priests and decided not to make this decision public.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't think the most of us have the cultural understanding needed to say something useful about that topic.

this shrine is pretty much the wet-dream of people like Koichi Sugiyama. it denies war crimes and atrocities and even goes as far to enshrine the work of things like Unit 731. i know-- i've went there out of morbid curiosity years ago. there are literally books you can purchase, in English no less, arguing the case against the factual integrity of Japanese war crimes. i would imagine that right wing nationalistic thought is very pervasive with people in the japanese games industry. even if you, say, boycott DQ over Sugiyama, chances are you are still funneling money into some other old right-wing shit head.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like they were just sharing their experiences of a company trip and made a minor social media blunder with one of their posts.

Don't see this being a huge deal. Simple enough mistake to make.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.creatures.co.jp/ug/

Creatures issued an apology regarding the issue on their website.

Quick Google TL

Creatures is idealizing all people to have fun in manufacturing, in order to give people of the world dreams and excitement, I am working on making various products. The linkage of joy and emotion is the big factor connecting people beyond words and it is also a great force to support the continuation of our own products.

Regarding the fact that Creatures 'employees did a New Year' s shrine today and posted it to their account, there was no political intention there, but as a result it produces various unexpected comments It has become a result, that itself is very disappointing and I have to say that I was immature as a company that is part of the development of Pokemon.

We, Creatures, sincerely wish peace of the world from now sincerely as a company that produces entertainment, so that we can deliver smiles even to people all over the world with extreme caution so that no one receives unpleasant feelings , I will work on development work on a daily basis.

January 22, 2019
CREATION

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The main problem is the shrine itself, not what these people did. Thankfully the company clarified that there was no hidden meaning behind the pictures.